Poll

John Myung or Steve Harris?

John Myung
37 (60.7%)
Steve Harris
24 (39.3%)

Total Members Voted: 61

Author Topic: John Myung or Steve Harris?  (Read 4227 times)

Offline WildRanger

John Myung or Steve Harris?
« on: March 19, 2019, 10:52:45 AM »
Which bassist do you favor and why?

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Re: John Myung or Steve Harris?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2019, 10:56:54 AM »
I like Iron Maiden more than Dream Theater, but I like JMX a lot more than Steve Harris. JMX's few lyrical contributions to the band are some of my favorites in their catalog, and his playing is phenomenal. I'll take any of his work on Awake, for example, over pretty much anything of Harris, but Harris is pretty damn awesome himself. The bar's just that high.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2019, 10:59:21 AM »
Harris' work in the 80s is untouchable (plus he wrote most of the songs and lyrics). The only one I like better than Harris is Geddy.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2019, 11:06:27 AM »
John Myung without question. He’s second only to Cliff Burton as far as my bass influences go, and I switched from four to six strings solely because of JMX’s playing.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2019, 11:06:37 AM »
I assume this poll is strictly limited to compare the two as bassists.  Harris obviously does more as the visionary behind Iron Maiden, and Myung does not play that role in DT. 

Harris is a VERY good rock/metal bassist and is an undeniable influence to an entire generation of bass players.  He is also a very good songwriter, even if he might be considered somewhat of a "one-trick pony" nowadays on that front.

Myung is a much more technical and, IMO, creative bassist.  He is in the upper echelon of bass players and can do thing Harris likely cannot.  His bass parts are often very expressive and mindblowingly awesome.  Myung by a mile in this one.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2019, 11:10:44 AM »
What Bosk said.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2019, 11:11:24 AM »
Kind of with Bosk on this one. 

As a pure bass player?  John Myung.    Who I want in my band, or, more correctly (and Maiden fans will get this), whose band I want to be in?   Steve Harris. 

I think there's a pretty decent argument in favor of the idea that Steve Harris molded Maiden into the beast it is today out of sheer force of will. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2019, 11:12:20 AM »
To add to what bosk said - Harris also has his own 'side' band British Lion. Something I've always wondered about is what a JMX solo album would sound like. I wonder if he's got any secret songs recorded for something like that.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2019, 11:15:40 AM »
To add to what bosk said - Harris also has his own 'side' band British Lion. Something I've always wondered about is what a JMX solo album would sound like. I wonder if he's got any secret songs recorded for something like that.

I kind of wish he did more side projects so we could hear some of what he would do.  I like Jelly Jam.  But he does not push the boundaries of his bass playing in that project and does not seem to drive the creative direction.  I'm pretty sure Ty is the driving creative force in that project.

:justjen  Hmm...methinks I actually have some cool stuff to ask JMX about if I get to talk to him Sunday night.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2019, 11:17:42 AM »
Do it do it do it do it! ... Do it!  :biggrin:

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2019, 11:19:16 AM »
In my Dream Band..Steve Harris is the bass player.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2019, 11:23:18 AM »
Do it do it do it do it! ... Do it!  :biggrin:

Oh, I definitely plan to.  I think it will be an interesting conversation and actually get him talking too, which can be a challenge when not talking gear.  The only things that will stop me would be if he doesn't come out after the show, or if I get too busy talking to one of the others and miss talking to him. 

In my Dream Band..Steve Harris is the bass player.

Yeah, I can definitely see that line of thinking and don't really disagree.  I guess if I were starting a dream band, the only caveat I would have for me personally, is that he does NOT get a say in the final mix/mastering of any albums we might put out.  :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2019, 11:25:43 AM »
What's weird, and this affects both bands in this discussion, is that world class musicians can listen to their own albums and think "Gee this sounds great", yet the fans are like "WTF??".
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2019, 11:32:13 AM »
John Myung probably can play circles around Steve Harris. But Steve Harris has his own unique style and sound that makes him one of the few bass players that are recognizable by just a few notes. John Myung certainly also has his own style but it isn't as distinguishable.

Stve Harris for me.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2019, 11:49:28 AM »
As a bassist? John Myung easily (which gets my vote in the poll).

But Steve Harris is a songwriter and band leader, so he's probably more integral to his band and their overall sound.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2019, 12:03:51 PM »
Job Myung is more of an accomplished bass player, but Steve Harris is such a good song writer and has the best stage presence in Iron Maiden.  They are both great but I choose Myung, because he slays the bass.
 It would've been a harder choice if Geddy was on the list instead.  One of my other favorite bass players is Mike Lepond..  :metal
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2019, 12:04:38 PM »
Are we sure this isn’t another MM vs MP thread?

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2019, 12:34:12 PM »
Count me in the "John Myung as a bass player is obviously better, but Steve Harris is Steve fucking Harris for reasons so obvious that don't need to be explained" camp  :hat
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Mladen

« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2019, 12:37:46 PM »
Count me in the "John Myung as a bass player is obviously better, but Steve Harris is Steve fucking Harris for reasons so obvious that don't need to be explained" camp  :hat
I was also wondering how to put it. This sums it up well.  :biggrin:

Offline pg1067

« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2019, 12:56:41 PM »
I'm surprised this is as close as it is.

When I started learning bass, it was Geddy Lee and Steve Harris.  Steve was all about the right hand and playing fast rhythms.  Geddy never played anything as fast as, e.g., Run to the Hills, but he was all over the fretboard.  He remains my favorite bass player of all time.

When JM came along, he put it all together in one package.  As much as I love Steve's playing, he's somewhat one-dimensional, and JM is the superior player in every way.  Of course, Harris brings things to the table that JM doesn't -- e.g., songwriting and production.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2019, 01:37:52 PM »
I'm surprised this is as close as it is.

When I started learning bass, it was Geddy Lee and Steve Harris.  Steve was all about the right hand and playing fast rhythms.  Geddy never played anything as fast as, e.g., Run to the Hills, but he was all over the fretboard.  He remains my favorite bass player of all time.

When JM came along, he put it all together in one package.  As much as I love Steve's playing, he's somewhat one-dimensional, and JM is the superior player in every way.  Of course, Harris brings things to the table that JM doesn't -- e.g., songwriting and production.

This probably belongs in the "controversial" thread, but while I have zero doubt that there are more things that Steve Harris (or Geddy Lee) CAN'T play than there are things that John Myung can't play, but music is about communication, and there's something to be said about the fact that there are probably three or four bass lines by both Geddy and Steve that laymen hum or sing, and I'm not sure I can name one from JMX.  That's not a slight by any means (it's also a function of the bands and the type of music each plays), but it's a variable, at least for me.   I'll often find myself humming that bass part in the bridge-ish section of Number Of The Beast. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2019, 01:46:10 PM »
I've never done that with a Geddy or 'Arry base line, but have done that with plenty of Myung bass lines.  I get what you are saying--it's very similar to what I heard once heard Ritchie Sambora say about his approach to guitar solos.  The "best" (in his words) solos are ones that the audience remembers and can sing or hum along to.  That is less true in general of a bass line, since the bass is not generally meant to be a lead or compositional instrument.  But there are plenty of memorable, identifiable bass lines out there that truly "make" a song (Under Pressure, Another One Bites the Dust, ...). 

That said, I don't thing either Maiden or Dream Theater have any (or at least, many) bass lines that are that iconic.  But they do have plenty that are still "hummable" or singable.  How many either of us can recall I think just depends on the level of fandom for a particular band.  DT has plenty.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2019, 01:48:30 PM »
I think Myung is the better bassist technically and Myung is a pretty good song writer too, but Harris is the better overall musician, he's integral to IM"s song writing and his bass is a huge part of the IM sound plus his leadership and stage presence.  I voted Harris.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2019, 02:10:06 PM »
The one thing I can say about Steve that I'd with John did more is write songs.  Every time I hear a John Myung song or lyrics, it's so well done.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2019, 02:10:55 PM »
Interestingly, JMX has expressed an opinion that people are citing here. Leads me to think that if he were somebody else he'd probably vote for Arry.

Quote from: John Myung
I was really into bands; I wasn’t necessarily focused on the bass players. I think the most important thing that brought me into music was listening to those bands and just kind of identifying with them, with their sounds and stylistically. I just thought it was the coolest thing ever! So it was really just whoever was playing bass in the band that became my focus. I used to love it. I couldn’t wait to come home from school and play along with Black Sabbath records, Who records, Iron Maiden records, Rush records. It just became a thing to do.

He's inspired by Harris, Lee, Geezer, and the Fish because they were in Maiden, Rush, Sabbath, and Yes. I think those connect with people in a much broader way than DT. Moreover, I'm not sure how many of his bass lines are actually "fun" to play, rather than, say, grueling and arduous.  :lol

I'm going with JMX because he's definitely the more gifted player. However, it's easier to tell that because Arry is something of a one trick pony. The times I hear JMX stretch out are few and far far between, but they do happen. As others have said, I'd love for him to do a project where he can really spread his wings.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2019, 02:17:23 PM »
To be honest I can't think of any bass lines from Maiden off the top of my head, but for Myung, Panic Attack is always the one that comes to mind. The beginning of In The Presence of Enemies Part 2 often gets stuck in my head even though it's just a low/high octave note. Lifting Shadows, too, and Take The Time.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2019, 02:27:57 PM »
The beginning of Scarred too.  And the beginning of The Glass Prison.  Those aren't fast, but are incredibly distinctive and emotive, and are pretty outside the box.  Same with the bass harmonics line at the beginning of As I Am, for that matter.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2019, 02:33:00 PM »
How about S2N?

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2019, 02:38:49 PM »
Oh man, TGP and S2N are great calls. I think S2N is gonna be one of those songs that ages nicely. But yeah, great bass part in that.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2019, 03:03:27 PM »
I think Steve Harris is much more integral to the sound of Maiden than JM is to the sound of DT. A lot of Maiden songs are based on bass lines, doubled by the guitars, while a lot of DT songs are based on guitar riffs doubled by the bass. This doesn't make one better than the other, but I think it shows the difference in their respective roles as band musicians.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2019, 03:06:11 PM »
I would mostly agree with that.  I think DT has songs that do that as well.  But whereas with Maiden, I think what you said is probably true of an overwhelming majority of songs, whereas in DT, it would be a minority.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2019, 03:14:43 PM »
If I had never SEEN JM perform, I would have no idea, honestly. I think DT's mixes have more or less hidden him big time. His bass really doesn't stand out. I mean, to cite the beginning of As I Am is case in point. It shows how little his stand alone moments are.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2019, 03:19:45 PM »
If I had never SEEN JM perform, I would have no idea, honestly. I think DT's mixes have more or less hidden him big time. His bass really doesn't stand out. I mean, to cite the beginning of As I Am is case in point. It shows how little his stand alone moments are.

I'd almost say the opposite, seeing him live doesn't bring out his bass and his playing.  Sure it's great and all, but you'll have to focus on him to notice.  He does nothing to bring the attention to himself and I think that's probably the biggest reason why he isn't as known of a bassist as he could be.  I think his lack of stage presence is his biggest negative.  You can listen to an IM album or go to an IM concert and you'll know exactly who Steve Harris is because he is so in your face.  It doesn't make him a better player, but I do think it makes him a better entertainer.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2019, 03:20:37 PM »
I mean, to cite the beginning of As I Am is case in point. It shows how little his stand alone moments are.

???  I don't understand what you mean.  That is a HUGE standalone moment.  And there were plenty of others cited as well.  What do you mean?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2019, 03:22:31 PM »
I mean, to cite the beginning of As I Am is case in point. It shows how little his stand alone moments are.

???  I don't understand what you mean.  That is a HUGE standalone moment.  And there were plenty of others cited as well.  What do you mean?

What I mean is that I just don't find it all that impressive. Maybe it technically is. Stand alone..sure. Stand out? No, not really. Not to me. Plus it's the signal that one of their most boring songs is about to start.