Dream Theater > Dream Theater

Barstool Warrior - A CLASSIC TUNE

(1/9) > >>

darkshade:
IMO this is the MVP of Distance Over Time, making this the best song with Mangini, their most accomplished piece since the epic Octavarium, and dare I say, the best song released in the 2010s in all of rock, pop, and prog related music.

The section around 4:40 (I think) such a big sound, haven't felt this since Six Degrees. Powerful stuff. Great leads by JP throughout.

bosk1:
I happened to be listening to it as you posted this, coincidentally.  Yeah, great song.  I don't personally consider it the "MVP" of the album, but that doesn't diminish how good it is.  And to go off on a bit of a tangent, I really like the album flow with how the ending of Barstool Warrior resolves, and then right into the dark riff of Room 137.

Fritzinger:
I wouldn't go THAT far, but I really like it too. I was first a little bummed that the chorus doesn't come back in the end, but I like it the way it is by now. It builds towards a conclusion instead of a reprise.

MirrorMask:
Breaking All Illusions would like to have a word with you  :D

Still, no complaints for me, Barstool Warrior is a great song and deserves all the praise it can get. The kickass intro, the melodies, the "Promises made" section, the gran finale... the song with the wackiest title turned out to be one of the best.

If they had found room to sneak in another section before the solo, maybe a grandiose additional chorus / post chorus (like it happens with Bridges in the Sky) it would have been even more awesome (the first listenings I felt like the song was leading into something like that but it didn't), but the song is great as it is and I look forward to hear it live.

bosk1:

--- Quote from: MirrorMask on March 19, 2019, 08:28:56 AM ---Breaking All Illusions would like to have a word with you  :D

--- End quote ---

Man, if ADTOE had Barstool Warrior instead of BAI, it might skyrocket up to my favorite DT album.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version