Author Topic: Barstool Warrior - A CLASSIC TUNE  (Read 4225 times)

Offline darkshade

Barstool Warrior - A CLASSIC TUNE
« on: March 19, 2019, 08:19:09 AM »
IMO this is the MVP of Distance Over Time, making this the best song with Mangini, their most accomplished piece since the epic Octavarium, and dare I say, the best song released in the 2010s in all of rock, pop, and prog related music.

The section around 4:40 (I think) such a big sound, haven't felt this since Six Degrees. Powerful stuff. Great leads by JP throughout.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Barstool Warrior - A CLASSIC TUNE
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2019, 08:22:45 AM »
I happened to be listening to it as you posted this, coincidentally.  Yeah, great song.  I don't personally consider it the "MVP" of the album, but that doesn't diminish how good it is.  And to go off on a bit of a tangent, I really like the album flow with how the ending of Barstool Warrior resolves, and then right into the dark riff of Room 137.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2019, 08:23:58 AM »
I wouldn't go THAT far, but I really like it too. I was first a little bummed that the chorus doesn't come back in the end, but I like it the way it is by now. It builds towards a conclusion instead of a reprise.
any rock can be made to roll

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2019, 08:28:56 AM »
Breaking All Illusions would like to have a word with you  :D

Still, no complaints for me, Barstool Warrior is a great song and deserves all the praise it can get. The kickass intro, the melodies, the "Promises made" section, the gran finale... the song with the wackiest title turned out to be one of the best.

If they had found room to sneak in another section before the solo, maybe a grandiose additional chorus / post chorus (like it happens with Bridges in the Sky) it would have been even more awesome (the first listenings I felt like the song was leading into something like that but it didn't), but the song is great as it is and I look forward to hear it live.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2019, 08:30:04 AM »

Man, if ADTOE had Barstool Warrior instead of BAI, it might skyrocket up to my favorite DT album.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2019, 08:43:05 AM »

Man, if ADTOE had Barstool Warrior instead of BAI, it might skyrocket up to my favorite DT album.

Bosky... I always feel I have so much in common with you, but then there is this.  :omg:  :heart

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2019, 08:45:00 AM »
I think that's because we are both old.  :lol

Offline darkshade

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2019, 08:57:17 AM »
I say BW is the MVP because it is most universally liked as far as I can tell. AWE and PBD seem to have questionable compositional choices, and I still don't think PBD is as great as others do, I find it has an unfinished feel to it, and brings the overall album down for me.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2019, 08:58:37 AM »
I say BW is the MVP because it is most universally liked as far as I can tell. AWE and PBD seem to have questionable compositional choices, and I still don't think PBD is as great as others do, I find it has an unfinished feel to it, and brings the overall album down for me.

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=53449.0

2nd most. :P

Really good song for sure, but the hyperbole in this thread is strong.  :biggrin:

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2019, 09:05:17 AM »
I think that's because we are both old.  :lol
:\...................[]

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2019, 09:06:04 AM »
:hearts:

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2019, 09:12:05 AM »
Ok.  I am going to ride my bike to work. Just the right amount of time to listen to d/t - after this oh, say 20th listen, I will have a definitive answer to the MVP... :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2019, 09:17:47 AM »
The new album is too consistent for me to get on board with any song standing far above the others to where it is the MVP. 

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2019, 10:16:17 AM »
Yeah definitely one of the best Dream Theater songs of all time imo. It's a very beautifully written song without it being a ballad,  it's just got that really cool factor going on.  :coolio
There's a lot of depth and meaning and the music drives the point home.  JLB really captured the emotion and I don't think anyone else in the world could have done a better job. BW is a perfect example of how all the instruments play a equal role. The keys, bass, drums, guitar, and vocals are orchestrated to perfection.  JP's guitar tone on the solos is out of this world!
 The whole album is so good, so I don't know if this is the MVP or not. There are some other contenders on d/t for sure.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2019, 10:31:09 AM »
While I think it's a great song, the ending feels a bit messy to me. It's another attempt at a Bigger Picture-style G major ending, but that song does it better. Barstool Warrior's ending feels like it comes a bar or two too soon (no pun intended).

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2019, 11:21:47 AM »
While I think it's a great song, the ending feels a bit messy to me. It's another attempt at a Bigger Picture-style G major ending, but that song does it better. Barstool Warrior's ending feels like it comes a bar or two too soon (no pun intended).
:lol no pun intended? Still funny!

That is a good comparison though, TBP is similar and in the same league as BW. They are both top tier DT songs to me..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2019, 11:23:27 AM »
I feel like the last minute or so could've easily come from The Astonishing.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2019, 11:26:48 AM »
Ok.  I am going to ride my bike to work. Just the right amount of time to listen to d/t - after this oh, say 20th listen, I will have a definitive answer to the MVP... :lol

:metal...Ok That. was a great ride.

The album was 2/3 through VK when I got to the front door of work. BW (imo) can't be MPV, all the songs are just too great!.  BW was one of those songs at the beginning where I was "hmmm".  I come from loving metal and it always takes me a minute to get on board with the DT songs that have that major key sound. Funny, many of my faves by DT are not the most metal (BAI being one Bosk  :biggrin:) and I was pretty sure if I gave this song time to soak in and learned the lyrics, DT would not disappoint. It has a grand theme that so many can related to "Where do I belong?", with a great hopeful ending of  "now I see where I belong". The music matches perfectly to the theme as per usual.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2019, 11:29:33 AM »

Replace FFH and BTS with BW and ADTOE would definitely be a better album.  Take away BAI and it drops to middle of the road for me.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2019, 11:34:00 AM »

The album was 2/3 through VK when I got to the front door of work. BW (imo) can't be MPV, all the songs are just too great!.  BW was one of those songs at the beginning where I was "hmmm".  I come from loving metal and it always takes me a minute to get on board with the DT songs that have that major key sound. Funny, many of my faves by DT are not the most metal (BAI being one Bosk  :biggrin:) and I was pretty sure if I gave this song time to soak in and learned the lyrics, DT would not disappoint. It has a grand theme that so many can related to "Where do I belong?", with a great hopeful ending of  "now I see where I belong". The music matches perfectly to the theme as per usual.
I'm doing the opposite--I get to ride my bike home from work today.  First ride of the year, since it has been so cold and/or wet up until last week, and I am really looking forward to it. 

As far as music, I can't decide whether to listen to d/t or The Astonishing.  Part of me would rather listen to d/t just because it is new and I am loving it so much and have so much anticipation for the upcoming show.  But TA has been such a welcome companion on that 25-mile American River Trail bike ride that it feels like an old friend that I can't wait to visit and catch up with.  Decisions, decisions...

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2019, 12:15:32 PM »
I couldn't imagine listening to music while on a motorcycle or bycicle. I would want to be able to hear what's going on around me for safety reasons.  Many variables, like heavy traffic or a mountain lion waiting to pounce from the woods on a country trail.  :omg:

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2019, 12:18:15 PM »
I couldn't imagine listening to music while on a motorcycle or bycicle. I would want to be able to hear what's going on around me for safety reasons.  Many variables, like heavy traffic or a mountain lion waiting to pounce from the woods on a country trail.  :omg:

Well, on that ride, the entire thing is on a bike trail, so traffic is not an issue.  The only motor vehicles are the occasional ranger trucks, and those are always going slower than I am.  And you are more likely to be accosted by a homeless person than a mountain lion on that trail.  :lol  When I am on the road, I do not wear my ear buds (or, at most, I might just have one in and keep the other ear free, but I rarely do that). 

Here's a good mix of pics of both the views on the trail and, if you scroll down a bit, the trail itself:  https://www.traillink.com/trail-gallery/american-river-bike-trail-(jedediah-smith-memorial-trail)/

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2019, 12:20:42 PM »

I'm doing the opposite--I get to ride my bike home from work today.  First ride of the year, since it has been so cold and/or wet up until last week, and I am really looking forward to it. 

As far as music, I can't decide whether to listen to d/t or The Astonishing.  Part of me would rather listen to d/t just because it is new and I am loving it so much and have so much anticipation for the upcoming show.  But TA has been such a welcome companion on that 25-mile American River Trail bike ride that it feels like an old friend that I can't wait to visit and catch up with.  Decisions, decisions...

Is the ride home the 25 miles? The Astonishing is such an enjoyable album. Riding and listening to DT (and a couple of others) is just sooo much fun - and then I get to eat more that day! :corn  Have a great ride!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2019, 12:24:24 PM »
Is the ride home the 25 miles? The Astonishing is such an enjoyable album. Riding and listening to DT (and a couple of others) is just sooo much fun - and then I get to eat more that day! :corn  Have a great ride!

Yeah.  25 miles (actually, just short of that, but close enough).  I can't get through the entire album on that ride, but can get through all of disk 1 and a bit of disk 2, which is fine.  I posted a link to some great pics of the trail on that ride in the post just above yours.

Actually, maybe I'll listen to LSFNY this time, since they will be playing SFAM at the show.  Decisions...

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2019, 12:29:48 PM »

In Reno, traffic isn't nearly like the big cities. I plan my route to work where I feel comfortable. Mostly I like to mountain bike now, and while there are bobcats and coyotes (heard rumors of mountain lions as well), I don't think me hearing them would help if they really wanted to take me out.  I am more worried about not making a turn and crashing. But the music, it gives me that courage to pound on when it get's scary.  Like Bosk said, I am old  :| - and I need to have some sort of way to get my rebellious nature out.  :angel:

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2019, 12:31:50 PM »

Well, on that ride, the entire thing is on a bike trail, so traffic is not an issue.  The only motor vehicles are the occasional ranger trucks, and those are always going slower than I am.  And you are more likely to be accosted by a homeless person than a mountain lion on that trail.  :lol  When I am on the road, I do not wear my ear buds (or, at most, I might just have one in and keep the other ear free, but I rarely do that). 

Here's a good mix of pics of both the views on the trail and, if you scroll down a bit, the trail itself:  https://www.traillink.com/trail-gallery/american-river-bike-trail-(jedediah-smith-memorial-trail)/
Wow, that looks like a pretty awesome place Bosk, thanks to sharing the photos!

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2019, 12:32:38 PM »

Just keep it as a lower volume than usual, that's what I do when I ride on a bycicle.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2019, 12:39:30 PM »

And you are more likely to be accosted by a homeless person than a mountain lion on that trail.  :lol 
Such as a barstool warrior?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2019, 12:41:49 PM »

And you are more likely to be accosted by a homeless person than a mountain lion on that trail.  :lol 

Um...they're more of the "cheap bottle/can in a brown paper bag" crowd than the barstool crowd, to put it one way.  But they also tend to not bother anyone.

Looking at those pics, the second one from the bottom is where I saw probably the biggest rattle snake I have ever seen in my life.  But honestly, they aren't much of a threat either.  I mean, it's technically possible that one could be coiled, and you could pass by close enough that with a perfectly-timed strike, it manages to get you.  But the odds are so slim that I don't know anyone that is concerned.  Honestly, the biggest threat are the stupid turkeys because they tend to have an attitude and to not want to move out of the way when you are bearing down on them at a high rate of speed, and they are big enough that they would do damage if you hit one.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 12:47:20 PM by bosk1 »

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2019, 12:44:36 PM »

Um...they're more of the "cheap bottle/can in a brown paper bag" crowd than the barstool crowd, to put it one way.  But they also tend to not bother anyone.
I know, I just couldn't resist.  ;D

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2019, 01:06:29 PM »
I love the song BW... but personally think AWE is the best DT song since 6DOIT.   

Online SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2019, 01:48:28 PM »
I listen to the song as it is the last piece of SDOIT and it perfectly fits.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2019, 01:48:57 PM »

Yeah.  25 miles (actually, just short of that, but close enough).  I can't get through the entire album on that ride, but can get through all of disk 1 and a bit of disk 2, which is fine.  I posted a link to some great pics of the trail on that ride in the post just above yours.

Actually, maybe I'll listen to LSFNY this time, since they will be playing SFAM at the show.  Decisions...
Looks like a beautiful ride and place!  Now that my kids are about out, I may make some trips to CA for more biking! I listened to SFAM yesterday on my bike! I  cannot wait to hear it, but especially Home!! One of my very first faves from DT.
Snakes are the worst. I am surprised that I have only ever seen 3 considering I have spent quite a bit of time on the trails and desert.  Just eew!

Offline Trav86

« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2019, 04:34:33 PM »
I hate to be such a cliché, but it’s a toss up between Barstool Warrior and At Wit’s End.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2019, 05:32:58 PM »
Bosk, dude!  I grew up on the American River bike trail.  You live in the Sacramento area? Thanks for the link, brings back good memories.

Edit:  . . . and I agree that Barstool Warrior is a classic tune. :biggrin:
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 05:39:53 PM by Another_Won »