Author Topic: Now there's going to be a novel for "The Astonishing"???  (Read 44042 times)

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
Re: Now there's going to be a novel for "The Astonishing"???
« Reply #350 on: March 17, 2019, 06:02:19 PM »
Thanks for posting!  I'll pick one of these up. 

Offline porcacultor

« Reply #351 on: March 17, 2019, 08:01:11 PM »
Thanks for posting! The postal situation in Brazil is so shit that the kindle version was my only hope of accessing it. Glad to see it's got the band interviews and extra chapters and all.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #352 on: March 17, 2019, 08:11:54 PM »
Honestly, I don't have the least bit interest in reading the book, and I LOVE The Astonishing.

That said, I think it's awesome that this has finally come to fruition and I'm so happy for JP. I would love to read the liner notes, foreword, etc...
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #353 on: March 17, 2019, 08:44:06 PM »
Just placed my order for it. While I do want to finally read this book, I have to say, I think I'm more excited about reading the band member interviews in it.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Trav86

« Reply #354 on: March 18, 2019, 07:39:17 AM »
Are the interviews in the kindle version?
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #355 on: March 18, 2019, 08:20:43 AM »
Mmm, just went on to amazon.co.uk and it looks like only the paperback is available. What gives??

£15 for the paperback too. Seems a little steep IMO.

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #356 on: March 18, 2019, 08:51:49 AM »
I enjoyed the limited edition book that I just recently read for the first time. It definitely was a good read - nothing mindblowing and still not an extremely strong story, but well worth a read.
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #357 on: March 18, 2019, 10:45:04 AM »
I like that the book description starts with "In a not so distant future" while literally the first words on the album are "Far in the distant future, beyond the pages of mankind"  :lol
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #358 on: March 18, 2019, 01:01:56 PM »
Thats good he's finally, due to band demand, making it available digitally and in paperback.

I bought the book for the story and also, mainly the bonus cd of unused ideas. Its neat hearing the progress of The Gift of Music from idea to full song. It's the only way to get an Instrumental version of the song.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline porcacultor

« Reply #359 on: March 18, 2019, 10:36:22 PM »
Are the interviews in the kindle version?

Yes! Track by track story 'splanation by JP as well!

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #360 on: March 19, 2019, 12:55:03 AM »
Don't want to destroy the joy for this edition, but it does seem kind of a rip off that first they sell a highly overpriced limited edition of the book, don't answer if it will be available as a normal paperback book - and then finally release it for 19 bucks on amazon.

Anyway, I will be getting this, it's available on German Amazon prime for 18,82€ (probably 19,99$ in €).
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #361 on: March 19, 2019, 01:51:22 AM »
The Kindle edition is on amazon.co.uk now, for £7.99. The interviews and track by track breakdown are definitely included as well. I’ll probably dip into those before getting time to read the rest of it.

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #362 on: March 19, 2019, 06:33:22 PM »
Paperback and ebook now available:

https://www.orullian.rocks/blog/new-editions-of-the-astonishing

I must admit, my enthusiasm level for this isn’t high, but I will grab the Kindle version and give it a go st some point.

Finally a more affordable version! I will definitely grab it.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #363 on: March 19, 2019, 08:14:28 PM »
Still on the fence about this. At least Kevin J. Anderson wasn't involved.

Didn't know the limited edition came with a CD. Might have jumped on that. What's on the CD?

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #364 on: March 20, 2019, 02:45:42 AM »
I read through some of the interviews last night. MM comes across very much like a hired gun that was just given the job of playing along to tracks that were pretty much already complete. Same with JMX. It doesn’t seem like they had too much scope for input, which is what we already knew.

I found James’s interview pretty interesting. He gives some details about his vocal injury, and going through dark times where he felt he was struggling for control of his voice. Definitely worth a read.

I haven’t got to the John or Jordan interviews yet.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #365 on: March 20, 2019, 03:44:12 AM »
Does anyone have the paperback version already and could post a picture of it?  :angel:
any rock can be made to roll

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #366 on: March 20, 2019, 07:13:07 AM »

Didn't know the limited edition came with a CD. Might have jumped on that. What's on the CD?

No CD, just digital tracks.

6 tracks chronicling The Gift of Music from iPhone recordings to studio guide tracks to early/instrumental mixes and finally the final version.

And 4 more tracks titled Unused Song Idea #1-4.

28 Minutes of music
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #367 on: March 20, 2019, 10:04:28 AM »

6 tracks chronicling The Gift of Music from iPhone recordings to studio guide tracks to early/instrumental mixes and finally the final version.

28 Minutes of music
That sounds like some very interesting stuff.  I'd love to hear it! 

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #368 on: March 27, 2019, 07:32:26 PM »

28 Minutes of music

I wonder if this will make it onto a future CD release.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #369 on: March 27, 2019, 07:50:33 PM »

28 Minutes of music

I wonder if this will make it onto a future CD release.

I doubt it, I'm still waiting for them to use that heavy riff from the drummer auditions in a song and it still hasn't happened :-\ But I guess you never know.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline erciccio

« Reply #370 on: March 29, 2019, 06:16:16 AM »
I bought the book 1 week ago, and I started from the interviews and the rest of the bonus material and it's quite interesting.

It just emerges quite clearly from the interview that MM was a bit pissed with all of The Astonishing stuff (not being involved with the writing, playing always with the click...)

The book itself is enjoyable, even though I usually read other staff...there are some nice insights on the characters.

BTW--I got the chance to listen back to the CD and I really think it's a masterpiece, and I struggle to understand why it was SO divisive..
There are more emotions in A Better Life that in the whole D/T...

But clearly there are way more fans that are just for the heavy side of DT than I imagined.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 09:04:06 AM by erciccio »
Ora che ho perso la vista,ci vedo di più

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #371 on: March 29, 2019, 07:36:23 AM »
BTW--I got the chance to listen back to the CD and I really think it's a masterpiece, and I struggle to understand why it was SO divisive..

Because:

1. Many fans are just metalheads that want nothing to do with softer music.

2. When it was announced TA was going to be a concept album, a lot of people expected another SFAM, when DT were clearly aiming at a completely different direction. Some fans just never understood that.

TA might be their most unique album to date, it was definitely going to be divisive (I love it, btw).
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."