Poll

Where does your favorite DT album rank among your favorite albums of all time?

35 (36.8%)
Top 3
18 (18.9%)
Top 5
15 (15.8%)
Top 10
17 (17.9%)
Top 25
6 (6.3%)
Top 50
1 (1.1%)
Top 100
3 (3.2%)
Other
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 95

Author Topic: Where does your favorite DT album rank among your favorite albums of all time?  (Read 2612 times)

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
Hey everyone!

This may seem like a silly poll, but the question occurred to me after listening to Images and Words today.  I haven't been listening to Dream Theater very much lately, as I've been making an effort to explore a lot of other artists and genres, so it had been more than a year since the last time I listened to I&W from start to finish.  With so much time having passed, and so much new music in my mind, I was curious to see if my perception of this album would have changed at all.  But I found that I still loved it as much as ever, and it occurred to me that it probably is my favorite album of all time.  I don't know if anything else will ever beat it for me.

What about you lovely people?  If you compare your favorite Dream Theater album (whichever it may be) with your favorite albums from other artists, how does it stack up? 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Luis W

Top 5 as in "I can't tell what would be number 1,2,3,4 or 5 but know what are the albums".

Just don't ask me what DT album I would put there!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Top 10 without a doubt, and top 5 depending on what day it is.  That album, of course, is Awake.

Scenes would probably be just out of the top 10.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
Scenes From A Memory is my #1 favorite album, period. And I'd take my top 5 DT albums over any other albums out there. I really do love this band wholeheartedly.

The thing is, I'm not the type of person to just downrank an artist or an album because I haven't listened to them recently. To be honest, I don't listen to Scenes From A Memory that much, but that's because it's not fresh for me, and the reason it's not fresh for me, is because I love the album so much that I listened to it until it was burned into my brain. I can think about the album and just hear the whole thing in my head. And yeah, taking a break from it and then revisiting it after a while does actually feel fresh, which is another reason to give it a rest. So yeah, just because it's not something I still listen to on a regular basis, doesn't mean that it somehow less favorite for me. That's not really how my brain works. It's an integral part of my identity and personality, as much as the movies I've been watching since I was a child, or the video games, or whatever.

And yes, of course, a large part of that is nostalgia, but at the end of the day, the important part is how much I enjoy it, not WHY I enjoy it. And if nostalgia makes me enjoy this awesome album on a whole other level, then there's nothing wrong with that. Objectively, it's not like the album got worse, I mean, it's the exact same collection of sounds as it was when I first heard it, so everything that I found awesome about the album, on its own merits, is still just as awesome as it ever was.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Online MirrorMask

The vast difference between genres makes, for me, basically impossible to have a list, and last time I did lists I was a little kid  :lol

Having said that, I'd consider Scenes from a Memory my favorite album EVER so yeah, #1 option for me.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Favorite by DT is SDOIT.  It was my #1 favorite for a long time.  But there are a couple that are competing with it for the top spot.  It's a tough call which would actually be #1 overall.  But the ones that are giving it a run are One (Neal Morse) and The Whirlwind (Transatlantic). 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline pg1067

My top 3 DT albums are I&W, SFAM and SDOIT.  I think I&W or SFAM is probably #1, but I'm not sure I could say with certainty which one it is.

Regardless, I feel reasonably confident that whichever is #1 is in my top 5 of all time, but I honestly couldn't tell you without spending way more time than I care to spend figuring it out what my top 5 are.   ;D
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline lovethedrake

SFAM is #2 for me.    I have London Calling by the Clash as #1.     Not sure what I would put as #3 but the Kinks are my #1 favorite band with DT #2.   

I know... HUGE differences in genres!   The brain loves what the brain loves.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Yeah.  But if your brain is telling you that anything from The Clash is #1, then I'm not sure the brain is actually engaged in that process.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
SFAM is #2 for me.    I have London Calling by the Clash as #1.     Not sure what I would put as #3 but the Kinks are my #1 favorite band with DT #2.   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOnENVylxPI
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline lovethedrake

Yeah.  But if your brain is telling you that anything from The Clash is #1, then I'm not sure the brain is actually engaged in that process.

Come on now!  London Calling is an incredible record from start to finish.   Such a unique blend of punk, ska, jazz, reggae, rock etc....

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
SDOIT is top 10 for me.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I&W is my #1 album of all time!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus

Come on now!  London Calling is an incredible record from start to finish.   Such a unique blend of punk, ska, jazz, reggae, rock etc....

:biggrin:

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
SFAM is my #1 album ever
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline krands85

Likewise. I don't see that changing any time soon.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
Likewise. I don't see that changing any time soon.

I would have to say that as well.
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline pg1067

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOnENVylxPI

That dude broke that egg LIKE A BOSS!  I wonder how many takes that took.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline darkshade

My fav album is SDOIT that would definitely be top 10 favorite albums of all time for me, but I don't know if it would be top 5, maybe. The rest of DT's catalog is somewhere in the top 20 for sure, particularly IaW, Awake, maybe FII, Scenes, TOT, 8vm, BC&SL, ADTOE, and probably DOT.

Online Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
Images and Words #1 studio album, Made in Japan #1 live album.

Offline Trav86

Images and Words. Top 5
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
My #1 and #2 DT albums, The Astonishing and SfaM, are my #1 and #2 overall albums.

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
Top 10. 

I'm a huge Dream Theater fan, but they aren't my favorite band of all time.  Nor is my favorite album of theirs (Images & Words) my favorite album of all time.
 Depending on what I'm listening to, the album can fluctuate between my top 5 and top 10, but I don't know if it would ever leave the top 10.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Six Degrees is my favorite, with Images right on its heels - both are in my top 5 of all time. Six Degrees could potentially be top 3, but I'm not confident enough at the moment to say.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
I don't rank albums across bands, but I&W would be in the top 3 in the all time most influential albums along my musical journey.

If I had to rank my favorite albums of all time, that would just be impossible. I don't know how to do that across time. If I had to do it based on my current listening tastes and trends, a DT album wouldn't crack the top 20. But they are still my favorite band. I just listen to a wider range of artists now, and my DT listening has tapered off after reaching levels of near saturation years ago.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Architeuthis

I can't say which is my favorite DT album,  but whatever it is it would easily be in my top 5 albums from any band ever! 
 I could say my top five seasoned albums of all time are these in no particular order:
 Rush - Moving Pictures
 Yes - Talk
 Dream Theater - Octavarium
 Boston - Boston (debut album)
 Queensryche - Operation Mindcrime

With Rush and Dream Theater, they have other albums I like equally as much. I just had to pick one to list.
 There are modern day contenders that could easily swap into the top five.
Dream Theater - Distance Over Time, The Astonishing
The Neal Morse Band - The Similitude of a Dream, The Great Adventure
Symphony X - Underworld
Styx - The Mission

It's true, I like all the above mentioned albums better than Dark Side Of The Moon..  :flame:
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 04:35:44 PM by Architeuthis »
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Mladen

Top 10. Scenes ends up at number six for me.

Offline RAIN

Top 25...but could very well be in Top 10...not sure.

But either way, that Album is AWAKE

Offline Volante99

I’d probably put I&W on my top 10 favorite album list.

Top 10 lists are tough for me. My personal favorites are different than say albums I think are the GREATEST OF ALL TIME(!). Like, if our civilization was about to collapse and I could only save 10 albums to represent humanity, DT probably wouldn’t make the cut.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
My favorite from DT album is SDOIT which is a top five album for me.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline New World Rushman

:biggrin:

Count me as another Prog and Metal head that counts London Calling as one of the greatest albums of all time.

I voted top ten.
SFAM for me, but not sure exactly where, it would have a hard time cracking any of my top albums that I grew up on and discovered in high school in the 70s and early 80s.

In no particular order, except Animals, which is always at the top:

Animals
Aqualung
Brain Salad Surgery
The Yes Album
A Farewell To Kings
London Calling
Sabotage
Foxtrot
Killers
Screaming For Vengeance
Point Of Know Return
Grand Illusion
Physical Graffiti
The Pretenders debut
Van Halen I

Shit, now that I started typing out an actual list, I guess I should have voted top 25...

Offline deslock

Top 25 here... no Dream Theater album thus far has cracked my top 10, though three are in the top 25: A Dramatic Turn of Events, Images and Words, and Distance Over Time (Octavarium was before being bumped down by more recent releases).

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
I voted top 5. If A Change of Seasons (the official version not that weird version) was on Images and Words then it would probably be my #1 album.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline TheCountOfNYC

Top 3.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline kociol21

SFAM is my number one and I would put it at number two overall. No matter how I love this album, I could never deny Roger Waters's "Amused to death" title of best album in Rock history.