Author Topic: Russian Doll on Netflix  (Read 1732 times)

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Russian Doll on Netflix
« on: February 06, 2019, 06:43:55 AM »
Anyone check this show out? We started it last night and ended up staying up until almost 1AM finishing it. I thought it was excellent. It's basically a dark version of Groundhog Day that involves two people instead of one, but it's not meant to be a comedy.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: Russian Doll on Netflix
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2019, 06:47:59 AM »
Nope. Haven’t watched it. But.....looks/sounds like something I’d dig. My ‘watch list’ never ends  :lol
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2019, 09:49:44 AM »
You had me at Groundhog day. I shall watch

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2019, 09:53:48 AM »
You had me at Groundhog day

Which, for the record, I watched on the 2nd.  ;D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2019, 04:45:22 AM »
Watched the first two eps. It's funny.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2019, 06:11:03 AM »
Watched the first two eps. It's funny.

There are a lot of funny moments in the show for sure. When I said "it's not meant to be a comedy", I meant in the Groundhog day/Bill Murray sense. 

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2019, 03:37:24 AM »
Well, Leone is just funny to watch. Glad she finally got her own show.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2019, 08:43:24 PM »
Really loving it so far. About half way through and I'm super intrigued and yea, Leone is great. It's weird since she's so.......barely there as a person, but is totally committed as an actress.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Shooters1221

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2019, 09:39:55 AM »
Ended up really enjoying this. The second half of the season starts getting more trippy than funny, especially the last 2 eps. Well done.  :tup

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2019, 12:32:25 PM »
Yea, this was a great show. The last two episodes got really freakin intense. Loved it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2019, 05:32:48 PM »
I was hooked the second I heard a John Maus album in the show. What beautiful genius put such a great couple songs in a SUPER fitting show? I wanna know who!

But also a great show as is. Funny, dark, and has some stories and lessons to tell. Pretty fun stuff.

On a bad note, super disappointed that it's going to be an anthology show and no more of these two characters.
^This is only a spoiler if you don't want to know what is happening to the series beyond season 1, there aren't any story spoilers but I'll stay safe.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2019, 06:02:57 AM »
I was hooked the second I heard a John Maus album in the show. What beautiful genius put such a great couple songs in a SUPER fitting show? I wanna know who!

But also a great show as is. Funny, dark, and has some stories and lessons to tell. Pretty fun stuff.

On a bad note, super disappointed that it's going to be an anthology show and no more of these two characters.
^This is only a spoiler if you don't want to know what is happening to the series beyond season 1, there aren't any story spoilers but I'll stay safe.

I'm actually perfectly okay with that TBH. As soon as the season ended, I said to V "I hope they don't try to force a second season to continue the story. That was a perfect ending". So what does that mean, "anthology show"? Same universe/time, but we find out other people were experiencing the same phenomenon?

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2019, 02:10:18 AM »
I'm halfway through, watched 4 episodes out of 8, will finish in a couple of day.

Interesting take on the "Groundhog day" concept, adding another character who is stuck in a loop is a very interesting situation. Also it's not clear cut like Groundhog day, when you get immediately the rules (you live the same day over and over), she can get through more than a day but some forces are at work to make her actively die.

The protagonist is cool and all but the actress is also in Orange is the New Black and she's basically playing the same character, a sarcastic, street smart tough woman with addiction problems. It's like seeing a spinoff of OitNB basically.

Going off a tangent here, there are some actors that, while being good, seem to portray the same character all the time....  like Jason Bateman for example, I see him playing a straight good manager guy in Office Party and all I see is Michael Bluth. Then there are other actors like, another example, Tom Hiddleston - I'm watching The Night Manager and the last thing I think of is Loki.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2019, 02:43:06 AM »
Finished seeing it. The penultimate episode was super creepy, the final one however tied it all nicely together and it was quite rewarding.

It was basically perfect, if perfection can exist. Not too short, not too long, a nice and interesting story with no plot holes with a satisfying ending and stakes way higher than Groundhog Day (where you know that whatever happens, it's all reset). Excellent mini series!

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2019, 04:53:47 PM »
I felt the same.

I'm curious to see how they handle season two with the new characters. I really hope they don't ruin it. I would have been content if they left it with just the single season.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2019, 05:01:27 AM »
Making this into an anthology seems a bit lame and an attempt to milk the cash chow.

Maybe if they come up each time with different reasons and rules for the reliving of the day, it could be kept interesting; no point in having new characters being stuck again into a "you have to help each other" loop.