Poll

Which grouping of songs do you like best?

Take On Me (a-ha), Silent Running (Mike + the Mechanics) & Russians (Sting)
The Heat Is On (Glenn Frey), Don't You Forget About Me (Simple Minds) & What You Need (INXS)
Run to You (Bryan Adams), Something About You (Level 42) & Burning Heart (Survivor)
Money for Nothing (Dire Straits), We Built This City (Starship) & Would I Lie to You? (Eurythmics)
Manic Monday (The Bangles), Kyrie (Mr. Mister) & No One Is to Blame (Howard Jones)

Voting closes: December 25, 2024, 06:39:52 PM

Author Topic: 80's Rock/Metal/Pop Song Wars - Part V  (Read 926 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
80's Rock/Metal/Pop Song Wars - Part V
« on: March 15, 2019, 07:39:52 PM »
A lot of good pop songs in 1985.

Vote for your favorite grouping.

Option 3 for me. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: 80's Rock/Metal/Pop Song Wars - Part V
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2019, 07:45:03 PM »
If I choose not to decide, I still have made a choice.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2019, 07:51:17 PM »
If I choose not to decide, I still have made a choice.

:lol :lol

Deep down, you know you are all over that option with We Built This City.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2019, 08:55:27 PM »
Take On Me: 2
Silent Running: 2 (huh, I had to YouTube this. I knew the song, just not by name/artist
Russians: 1
Total: 5

The Heat Is On: 2
Don't You Forget About Me: 5
What You Need: 1 (my least favorite popular INXS song
Total: 8

Run to You: 5
Something About You: 2
Burning Heart: 3
Total: 10

Money for Nothing: 3
We Built This City: 2 (it's not that bad)
Would I Lie to You?: 4
Total: 9

Manic Monday: 5
Kyrie: 1
No One Is to Blame: 4
Total: 10

I have two 10s. One has my favorite song on the list (Run To You); One has Suzanna Hoffs. Sorry, Bry.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2019, 09:00:26 PM »
I can't argue with that logic (see below), but Kyrie only gets a 1?  WTF?? ??? ???

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2019, 09:17:15 PM »
It's crazy how she looks really good now.

Some of these are hard to score now. I haven't heard Run To You in probably 20 years, but I know I loved it then, so... 5. I haven't heard Kyrie in just as long, but have to base it on the fact that I didn't like it then, so... 1. 
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2019, 04:27:39 AM »
Probably 3 for me. Although Money for Nothing is my all time favourite but other songs are meh in option 4.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2019, 08:53:41 AM »
Wow, this isn't even close, and believe it or not, didn't even need Suzanna Hoffs for the win:  Number five.   

A-ha is annoying AF, I like Sting but "Russians" is him at his pretentious worst, I DESPISE Glenn Frey's solo material (unlistenable to me), I have Vandenburg's "Burning Heart" in my head, so that's that, and We Built This City IS that bad, when you consider that the participants are mainstays in the '69 hippie culture of SF and perhaps one of the greatest lyricists of all time and created some of the most enduring works in musical history (Candle In The Wind, Your Song, Daniel, I Guess..., Rocket Man, Goodbye Yellow Brick Road...)

Do love "Run To You" and "Money For Nothing", though.

Oh, and this is Susanna Hoffs at age 58 (in 2017):

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2019, 08:59:31 AM »
Quick story:  I was newly divorced, feelin' like a king, and was out having drinks at my old law school bar.  The girl behind the bar seemed to be being very friendly, and introduced herself "Hi, I'm Erin (or something)".  I turned on the charm, said my name and said, "I'll bet you get "Suzanna" all the time, no?"   She says, "who?"  I said, "you know, the lead singer of the Bangles!"  She says, "who?"  I said, "you know, "Walk Like An Egyptian"!" (though to my credit I did NOT make the hand gesture).  She says, "who?" and I figured then that being divorced and out in the market was going to be a long hard slog.   :)

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2019, 09:21:08 AM »
This one was easy - 5.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online pg1067

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2019, 11:09:09 AM »
Category 1:  Take on Me is a solid 80s pop song, but I don't know the other two songs.
Category 2:  I DESPISE The Heat Is On.  DYFAM is bleh, and I've never heard and INXS song that I liked.
Category 3:  Run to You is pretty good.  Not sure I've ever heard the other two.
Category 4:  Two songs I can't stand and a Eurythmics song I don't recognize.
Category 5:  Manic Monday is a good, but not great, Bangles song.  Kyrie is good.  I've heard the HoJo song but don't really remember it.

So...category 5 it is, by a pretty wide margin.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online pg1067

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2019, 11:35:41 AM »
Oh, and this is Susanna Hoffs at age 58 (in 2017):

I've always been more of a fan of Vicki Peterson than Susanna, but they've both aged really well (Vicki is a year older than Susanna).  I saw them at a little club about 10 years ago and was wildly impressed by how good they sounded (first and foremost) and looked.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2019, 01:17:22 PM »
Category 1:  Take on Me is a solid 80s pop song, but I don't know the other two songs.
Category 2:  I DESPISE The Heat Is On.  DYFAM is bleh, and I've never heard and INXS song that I liked.
Category 3:  Run to You is pretty good.  Not sure I've ever heard the other two.
Category 5:  Manic Monday is a good, but not great, Bangles song.  Kyrie is good.  I've heard the HoJo song but don't really remember it.

Hmmm, did you watch MTV in the 80's?? :P

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2019, 01:25:55 PM »

Tim's DTF burner account.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online pg1067

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2019, 03:28:29 PM »

Sure did, although more in the 82-86 range than the second half of the decade.  While it's possible that I've heard some of these songs, I certainly don't recognize them by name.  The only Mike & the Mechanics song I know for sure that I've heard is Living Years.  I know plenty of Sting songs, but Russians doesn't ring any bells (even though it's on a greatest hits CD that we own (i.e., my wife bought)).  The only Survivor song I know by name is Eye of the Tiger.  I'm not sure I've ever even heard of Level 42.  Off the top of my head, the only Eurythmics songs I can think of are These Dreams and Who's That Girl, but I'm sure I'd recognize a couple others if I looked at a list of songs.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2019, 04:26:56 PM »
All of them had one great song but the first pick also had Russians by sting which is a great song