Author Topic: Outcry  (Read 2006 times)

Offline spw5150

Outcry
« on: March 14, 2019, 07:35:59 PM »
went on a DT binge on my iTunes , listening to everything from the entire catalog and happened upon this song.  I have always loved it but for some reason, tonight, it really hit me.  This is in my Top 5 songs of DT.  So epic and powerful and everyone shines on this one.   Great damn song !!!

Offline The Letter M

Re: Outcry
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2019, 08:06:10 PM »
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=27696.0

You can read more thoughts on this song in the dedicated thread above! Granted, it hasn't had any posts since July 2013, but there's some good discussion there.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2019, 06:53:26 AM »
Eh, if a thread hasn't had a post in nearly six years, it is probably time for a new one.  New threads often get more replies than resurrected threads from years ago anyway.

Anyway, I don't listen to Outcry that much anymore, but I listened to it like crazy for a while after the release of ADTOE; I need to give it a fresh spin.  Really good song, for sure.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2019, 09:25:19 AM »
Initially, it was my favorite song off of ADTOE.  Now, after the passage of time, I'd be hard pressed to choose between that, Bridges in the Sky, and Beneath the Surface. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2019, 10:06:42 AM »
I don't love it now as much as I did when I first heard the album. I mean, it was their first album post-Portnoy, and this song, and that technical, instrumental section was a very nice reassurance, like, "Okay, this is still the DT I know and love." And it's still a very epic and impressive song, but overtime, I've grown to appreciate other songs on the album a lot more. It still rocks though.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2019, 05:34:39 PM »
I love this song. I love James’ quiet vocals before the first chorus and that beautiful melodic piece after the crazy instrumental section especially.

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2019, 05:39:42 PM »
Fantastic song, top 5 of the Mangini era for me. Great melodies and a jaw-dropping instrumental section that hearkens back to their instrumental-section heyday of Scenes From A Memory, Six Degrees and Train of Thought.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2019, 07:38:01 PM »
Initially, it was my favorite song off of ADTOE.  Now, after the passage of time, I'd be hard pressed to choose between that, Bridges in the Sky, and Beneath the Surface.

You should check out Breaking All Illusions. :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Trav86

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2019, 08:29:32 PM »
One of my favorites.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline 1neeto

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2019, 02:00:03 PM »
I love this song. I love James’ quiet vocals before the first chorus and that beautiful melodic piece after the crazy instrumental section especially.

My favorite part is the instrumental part with the piano and then he comes is “you could look the other way”. Goosebumps city.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2019, 02:54:22 PM »
The Live at Luna Park performance of this song takes it up another notch as well!
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2019, 04:58:27 PM »

He’s not a big fan, if I remember correctly.

Offline bill1971

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2019, 06:36:54 PM »
Amazing song. Even though note for note it's identical to Metropolis. :)

I'm am completely kidding.

ADTOE has aged so well, the entire album is so solid. I think I'll give it a spin tonight while walking my dogs.

Offline Volante99

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2019, 09:50:05 PM »
Great song. It’s got everything a DT fan could want, crazy solos, a good chorus, great atmosphere on the slower moments, unpredictable/interesting transitions.

And agree, ADTOE has aged so so well.

Online SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2019, 05:10:45 AM »
Great song. It’s got everything a DT fan could want, crazy solos, a good chorus, great atmosphere on the slower moments, unpredictable/interesting transitions.

In the sense of liking the music, yes. It aged super well. Production wise? This is their worst. (if you don't count WDADU)

As for the Outcry, this is my ADTOE favourite close second with BAI. I love the James' vocals on this one.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline Mat Hausen

• Prog lover at 360°!
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2019, 06:57:54 AM »
Best song ever! :metal :metal

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2019, 06:58:36 AM »

Yes, That is the joke. ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Volante99

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2019, 10:25:16 AM »

In the sense of liking the music, yes. It aged super well. Production wise? This is their worst. (if you don't count WDADU)

Nah, disagree, production is much better than D12, and it’s not as noisy/brick walled as D/T. Even TA is a bit too “polished” for me, but that’s intentional for the record, and purely a matter of taste.

I distinctly remember how bad I thought it was in 2011, but even the production has aged well haha. It’s punchy and more natural sounding than their latest output.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2019, 10:38:21 AM »
Not a fan of the plodding vocal melody and the bad lyrics, but the instrumental section is amazing, a real standout moment for DT fresh off the MP era.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2019, 09:03:51 AM »

Jokes are usually funny.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2019, 11:27:29 AM »
Not a fan of the plodding vocal melody and the bad lyrics, but the instrumental section is amazing, a real standout moment for DT fresh off the MP era.

Don’t understand what’s “bad” about the lyrics. Shrug.

Offline spw5150

« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2019, 02:35:02 PM »

I agree,  lyrics are on point

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2019, 02:59:24 PM »

Jokes are usually funny.

:lol
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline darkshade

« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2019, 03:25:49 PM »
One of the better through-composed songs in the DT catalog. Just listened to ADTOE yesterday and this song has really grown on me, being squeezed between the Shaman's song and FFH/BAI. I always enjoyed it but the recent listen really got me excited. ADTOE in general is a well put together album and flows very well, better than most DT albums, and Outcry is in a perfect spot on the album (as opposed to DoT where I feel like I would re-arrange the songs for better flow)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2019, 07:33:58 PM »

I think they're far too 'on the nose' and lack the poetry older Dream Theater lyrics have, which is odd because on that very album they do exactly that in other songs. Beneath the Surface and Breaking All Illusions are quite poetic and have elegant lyrics... Outcry is just... "rise up, revolution's begun, there's blood in the streets, hear the outcry" and all the buzzwords are there. I dunno. Corny, in a bad way to me. Not the best lyrical material on that particular album. Just my opinion. Even when they were younger the lyrics were way better than that - Surrounded and Trial of Tears for example.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"