Author Topic: SFAM gapless playback on digital copies  (Read 802 times)

Offline pantsofeternity

• all ballads all the time
SFAM gapless playback on digital copies
« on: March 14, 2019, 09:59:29 AM »
Something bizarre that has happened to me; wondering if anyone's had a similar experience.

Somehow, my digital copy of SFAM — ripped direct from the CD to my iTunes nearly 20 years ago — got replaced with a copy from Apple Music through some kind of "cloud" nonsense (as in, it seems like Apple Music, before I had taken steps to prevent this, went in and "updated" portions of my library). This wouldn't be a problem except that the new versions are subtly different from the CD tracks in a number of ways.  For example:
  • The transition from BTL to THE isn't gapless, and I don't mean there's an artifact that affects continuity between the files. The audio at the start of THE does not match where the audio leaves off at the end of BTL.  Different levels, different places in the soundwave.
  • Also, the whole of THE is very loud — like, much louder than, say, the heaviest parts of Home or TDOE.
  • The end of TSCO fades out to silent instead of continuing directly into the narration at the start of FF.
Anyone else encounter something like this?  Did you purchase this album digitally and have the same problem?

I ended up buying a new copy of the CD just to ensure I can rip it and have the originals for myself (the one I bought back in the day is somewhere in a box in my parents' house).  But I was curious if this was an anomaly or something others had noticed.
"There's no more freedom. The both of you will be confined to these pants." — me, to my legs, most mornings

Offline Thoughtspart3

Re: SFAM gapless playback on digital copies
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2019, 01:49:30 PM »
That would be so annoying to have Apple do that.  I hope it doesn't happen to me.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2019, 06:15:22 PM »
That’s the number one reason why I use Spotify over Apple Music for my streaming needs. They did this to one of my best friends and ruined half of her already downloaded library (for example, replaced the movie Avengers theme with the theme from the show).
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2019, 09:07:18 PM »
Something bizarre that has happened to me; wondering if anyone's had a similar experience.

Somehow, my digital copy of SFAM — ripped direct from the CD to my iTunes nearly 20 years ago — got replaced with a copy from Apple Music through some kind of "cloud" nonsense (as in, it seems like Apple Music, before I had taken steps to prevent this, went in and "updated" portions of my library). This wouldn't be a problem except that the new versions are subtly different from the CD tracks in a number of ways.  For example:
  • The transition from BTL to THE isn't gapless, and I don't mean there's an artifact that affects continuity between the files. The audio at the start of THE does not match where the audio leaves off at the end of BTL.  Different levels, different places in the soundwave.
  • Also, the whole of THE is very loud — like, much louder than, say, the heaviest parts of Home or TDOE.
  • The end of TSCO fades out to silent instead of continuing directly into the narration at the start of FF.
Anyone else encounter something like this?  Did you purchase this album digitally and have the same problem?

I ended up buying a new copy of the CD just to ensure I can rip it and have the originals for myself (the one I bought back in the day is somewhere in a box in my parents' house).  But I was curious if this was an anomaly or something others had noticed.

I just tested this, and it sounded pretty normal to me, same volume level, gapless, all find on my end