Author Topic: This Year's Vacation  (Read 986 times)

Offline pg1067

This Year's Vacation
« on: March 13, 2019, 11:36:09 AM »
Last June, I took my then 16-year old son to New York City.  The primary focus of the trip was baseball.  We went to a Mets game, a Yankees game and a Staten Island Yankess game.  Of course, we did other touristy things.

This year, I'm taking my 15-year old daughter to NYC and Boston during her spring break (late April).  We're doing it during spring break instead of over summer vacation because of her marching band commitments (she plays flute and piccolo) and because she's taking an online class over the summer.  The other reason for the timing is so that she can do college campus visits while the schools are still in session.  We're going to visit Julliard in NYC and Berklee and Emerson College in Boston.  She's most excited about Berklee.

So...what else should we do?  We already have tickets to see a couple of Broadway shows in NYC and a Red Sox game in Boston (she couldn't care less, but I'm not going to Boston during baseball season and not see a Sox game), but we don't have too much else on the "must do" list.  I do already have a bunch of "maybe" ideas, but I'm interested in what others think, including restaurant suggestions.  For reference, in NYC, we're staying Brooklyn (near the Nevins St. subway station), and in Boston, we're staying near UMass, and I'm very comfortable using public transportation in both cities.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
Re: This Year's Vacation
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2019, 07:28:26 PM »
Boston: MFA (Museum of Fine Arts), The Boston Pops, the restaurant at the top of the Prudential Building, and the DUCK Tours, and Canoli's at Mikes Pastry in the North End.
And I'm a Yankees Fan, so if you could take a shit on the mound at Fenway, I would really appreciate it.  I kid (sort of)...I do appreciate Fenway Park.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2019, 07:36:15 PM »
Lol Eric.

Do the Freedom Trail.

https://www.thefreedomtrail.org/
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2019, 07:38:57 PM »
pg, I don't know if you're much of a history buff or not, but a hop on hop off trolley tour through Boston's historical sites and Freedom Trail is really interesting.

Seeing old Fanuel Hall and the Old State House is really cool. I mean, if you're into that sort of thing.

EDIT: ninja'd!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2019, 07:40:02 PM »
We know our stuff Tim.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2019, 08:17:26 PM »
I love history, so I think that stuff is cool. My oldest son is obsessed with the Old State House and all the old buildings. We toured The Old South (Church) Meetinghouse recently, and it was so interesting.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2019, 08:23:34 PM »
Also the Museum Of Fine Arts is a huge building.  I spent all day only on one floor.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2019, 11:11:32 AM »
Boston: MFA (Museum of Fine Arts), The Boston Pops, the restaurant at the top of the Prudential Building, and the DUCK Tours, and Canoli's at Mikes Pastry in the North End.
And I'm a Yankees Fan, so if you could take a shit on the mound at Fenway, I would really appreciate it.  I kid (sort of)...I do appreciate Fenway Park.

:rollin :rollin

Actually, I'm a Sox fan by marriage and, as a life-long Dodgers fan, I've always had a kinship with Sox fans from way back when the Dodgers and Yankees had a rivalry.  Thanks for the suggestions!

Do the Freedom Trail.

https://www.thefreedomtrail.org/

pg, I don't know if you're much of a history buff or not, but a hop on hop off trolley tour through Boston's historical sites and Freedom Trail is really interesting.

Seeing old Fanuel Hall and the Old State House is really cool. I mean, if you're into that sort of thing.

I am a bit of a history buff, so all that sounds good to me.  I'll have to run it by the kid.  Thanks guys!
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline pg1067

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2019, 12:12:25 PM »
Well...we're off to NYC tomorrow.  Hope we don't get rained on too much!