Author Topic: What's Your Favorite Sandwich Place?  (Read 1417 times)

Offline Jay T

• Old Fart
What's Your Favorite Sandwich Place?
« on: March 12, 2019, 05:55:46 PM »
Mine is Firehouse Subs. Can't get enough of it. I've never understood why anyone would want to bite into a cold sandwich, and they only serve hot. Blows Subway and Jimmy Johns out of the water, imo.
I don't know what to write for my signature, so this will have to suffice for now.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: What's Your Favorite Sandwich Place?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2019, 07:39:07 PM »
Never heard of Firehouse subs, though there seem to be plenty in the burbs around here. You a franchisee or something?

Presumably we're talking about the major chains and not the good places that nobody else on the forum would have heard of. For a cold sub I go with Jersey Mike's. Definitely a cut above JJ's or Subway. For a hot sandwich the Wreck from Potbelly's is great, sometimes. Sometimes it sucks horribly.

Really, though, there's no reason not to go to a good local shop. Next door to an always jam-packed Which-wich is a family owned Polish deli that makes a couple of fantastic sandwiches that nobody buys. People are stupid that way. We've also got a place downtown that'll pile 1/3 pound of shaved ribeye on a fresh baguette with blue cheese and caramelized onions.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2019, 07:44:00 PM »
It used to be Quizno's, but there are none left in our area anymore. :(

Jimmy Johns, Subway and most of the other popular chains are all pretty blah if you ask me.

P'sghetti's, which is exclusive to the St. Louis area I think, is my favorite.  And after moving three years ago to about 15 minutes from the one I always used to go to, they just opened one about three minutes from where I now live. :hat

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2019, 01:09:39 AM »
We only have one sandwich place here in town - Subway. I have lunch there at least once a week.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline New World Rushman

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2019, 05:47:23 AM »
I will answer similar to how I answered the recent pizza question; Here in North Jersey/NYC metro area, we have real Italian delis and mom and pop sub shops; no need to visit a chain.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2019, 06:06:15 AM »
There's a place in CT called Nardelli's that's pretty good. Years ago, when they had only like 3 locations, I thought they were much better. They have 14 now (I think), and I think their quality has suffered as a result. I don't go there nearly as often as I used to.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2019, 06:57:51 AM »
Subway. Not always great, but when they hit, they hit.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2019, 07:47:24 AM »
There's a chain the in Pittsburgh area (I think they stretch into a couple different states) called DiBella's. They are my go-to for hot subs.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2019, 08:17:27 AM »
I've seen Firehouse Subs in Denver but never went.  I've seen Potbelly around and been a couple times and both times was dissapointed.  Subway by my work actually is pretty solid but overall it's really just not that good although kind of standard so you at least know what you are getting. 

I'd say Jersey Mikes.  They are a bit more expensive but they have solid meats and service. 

I used to love Quiznos, I like hot sandwiches overall more than cold, but they seemed to have all disappeared around here.  Jimmy Johns are also rare and not bad, but kind of more like a Subway to me.  Maybe slightly better, but that could just because it's rare for me to see and eat at one.

Panera is pretty good too actually, a bit on the expensive side as well, but I enjoy their sandwiches.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2019, 08:25:15 AM »
I always thought Quiznos sucked. Never understood the appeal. I also always figured that's why they went belly-up, though it turns out shitty corporate management was responsible for that.

Panera is alright, but we have a regional chain that does mostly the same thing in La Madelaine that really blows them away.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2019, 08:29:20 AM »
I think I just like a good toasted sandwich and they seemed to do that well, plus I like their honey mustard chicken sandwiches.  Just was a sweet spot for me, but yea, it's not liek Quiznos was anything special.  I actually think Jersey Mikes is because they use quality ingredients which separates them a bit.  Panera has great bread, but their meat isn't the best.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2019, 08:45:28 AM »
For some reason, the rest of my family really loves Subway.  I can eat there and don't mind it.  But if I want a sandwich, I'll always go to an independent deli.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2019, 10:55:37 AM »
For me, it's Lee's Sandwiches.  They make good Bahn Mi sandwiches and I can get a side of eggrolls or Pâté chaud and a smoothie with boba.  All good.  Sure that meal will set me back around $13.00 or so, but it's so satisfying to me.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 11:03:20 AM by Anguyen92 »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2019, 11:56:06 AM »
Went to subway for lunch, got the Italian BMT

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2019, 01:11:21 PM »
Used to really love Jimmy John's, but I'd say the quality has gone down and, at least at the location I go to, they don't really seem to care about quality. I used to order the Club LuLu and it came loaded with meat and now they are kind of light on meat and have to order double meat just to get what I used to get. The produce isn't as fresh as it used to either...
...still go there a few times every few months.

I really liked Quizno's before, like Kev and cram, they all disappeared around here. The toasted sandwiches and their bread were really good. I used to get the club sandwich with Italian and mayo. Really good sandwich.

If there were more Jersey Mike's around I'd go there a lot. I really appreciate that they cut the meat in front of you fresh and the produce was really good, bread was as well. The customer service was really good too.

Anyone ever heard of Which 'Wich?

God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2019, 01:15:32 PM »
I pretty much never go out for sandwiches if I'm paying. I can make a decent sandwich at home for a buck, not paying $6-10 for a sandwich. We order Jimmy John's a lot at work for meetings. I like their sandwiches, so they're probably my default choice. Not that I have a ton to compare it to.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2019, 01:25:14 PM »
Anyone ever heard of Which 'Wich?
I like that they've got an extensive list of veggies to choose from. Likely the most options of any of the chain places. The rest of the sandwich is generally pretty unremarkable, though.

Missing from the discussion is any of the fast-casual sandwich places. Jason's Deli and Baker Bros are the big two down here. I liked BB's, but it's just stupidly expensive. Jason's is alright, but their sandwiches are a little small.
E.F. Benson

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2019, 01:25:45 PM »
I rarely eat fast food and when I do a sandwich shop is also my least chosen destination. My wife and daughter love Subway but I can't justify spending my money and caloric intake on something from there.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2019, 01:30:50 PM »
I rarely eat fast food and when I do a sandwich shop is also my least chosen destination. My wife and daughter love Subway but I can't justify spending my money and caloric intake on something from there.

I feel like the justification is that it's relatively low on both calorie intake and money  :lol  Pretty much the only reason I chose to eat there the few times I do, or just because it's the only option when you are traveling.

Never heard of which 'wich

Also, Boston Market isn't known as a sandwich spot, but I've always loved their carver sandwiches (turkey, chicken, or meatloaf).

Offline Anxiety35

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2019, 03:13:14 PM »
I like Firehouse. I went there yesterday for lunch, ordered the hook & ladder. It wasn't good for some reason. Lacked the normal flavors. I don't eat Firehouse subs too often, so I know it wasn't that I've become so used to it.

Firehouse needs to get rid of the Coca-Cola freestyle machine. Those things are terrible. You get a coke and it tases like one of those suicides you get when you mix a little of every fountain drink flavor into one cup. Nasty. But I digress...

There's a grocery store chain in the southeastern U.S. called Publix. Their deli has incredible sandwiches.

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2019, 08:49:01 PM »
There's a local chain here in the 'Nati called Izzy's. They make a reuben comparable to Katzs or Eisenbergs in NYC. Was started in 1901 by a dude named Izzy Kadetz, a Jewish immigrant who moved here and opened the first kosher deli West of the Alleghenies. Sandwiches are great, but they make a deep fried potato pancake as big as your head that's amazing. Apparently the dude was like the Soup Nazi. He constantly insulted, ripped on, and made fun of patrons all the time. In the 20's people used to line up around the block at lunch for the grub, and the hope that Izzy would put them down, so they could tell all their friends. People are weird.

We also have a chain called Penn Station East Coast Subs that makes a nice steak. Kind of like Great Steak and Fry, only better.

Also, a place called Tom+Chee. They used to sell tomato soup, and grilled cheese sandwiches from a food cart downtown. People went crazy for it. They went on Shark Tank, expanded their sandwich menu, and now are in about a dozen states and growing. 

As for larger chains, Panera is pretty decent. So is McCalisters.

When I lived in DC full time we used to go to Mangialardo's. Amazing Italian subs.
Bub and Pops makes great hoagies too.
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2019, 09:09:14 PM »
Best I know of is a west coast chain called Ike's...seriously god tier sandwiches. Outside of independents (specifically Genova Deli and their untouchable meatball sub), it's the best there is.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2019, 12:08:05 AM »
Subway.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2019, 09:26:03 AM »
There's a place in CT called Nardelli's that's pretty good. Years ago, when they had only like 3 locations, I thought they were much better. They have 14 now (I think), and I think their quality has suffered as a result. I don't go there nearly as often as I used to.

Other than the  last sentence - because I'm not sure there's better - every letter of this post is truth.   One of those new 11 is around the corner from my daughter's school, so I go there when I can, but there's none around me.  Second would be Jersey Mike's, but there's none around me either (though when I go to Florida for work, I make sure I eat there at least once).  Third of the chains, is probably Subway.  After Jersey Mike's I usually go to a local Italian/pizza place, since I my go-to is usually an Italian cold cut grinder, with provolone, lettuce, tomato, onions, oil, vinegar, salt and pepper.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2019, 08:30:26 PM »
If you're going with cold subs then nothing can mess with a Publix sub. Firehouse is my favorite hot sub place.

Offline Spiritus

« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2019, 03:01:55 AM »
My kitchen.
Im no great chef, but I make some amazing sandwhiches.