Poll

Which is the stronger album?

Hardwired to Self Destruct
Distance Over Time

Author Topic: d/t vs Hardwired  (Read 1301 times)

Offline Architeuthis

d/t vs Hardwired
« on: March 10, 2019, 12:25:47 PM »
Being on a Dream Theater forum, the results may be a bit biased. Try to think about the quality of both albums as far as production and overall song writing. I feel both bands Metallica and Dream Theater hit a home run on both of their latest efforts.
 My friend came over the other night to jam for a while. Afterwards, we always crank up the stereo in a loud manner and have what we call Metal Wars.
 This time it was d/t vs hardwired. We had both album covers facing each other up on a stand and we would take turns playing a song off of each. My friend is a huge Metallica fan and I'm a huge DT fan. We felt these two albums are very appropriate to compete in metal wars.
 We tried to give each album a fair shake. After about two hours of listening back and forth, each album has it's strong points. We both agreed the production and sound on d/t is better. You can crank the stereo way louder without the speakers distorting.
 Hardwired probably wins as far as a organic metal album, as the vocals are not overly processed.
So we both would try to "bring it" with each song. The final battle was between Spit Out The Bone and Pale Blue Dot.  I never thought I would hear this, but my friend said PBD gave Spit out The Bone a serious run for the money. Over all, we both agreed that both albums are almost a tie. My friend acknowledged that d/t has a better sound. :metal
« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 12:43:23 PM by Architeuthis »
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: d/t vs Hardwired
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2019, 12:32:48 PM »
Metallica made an excellent CD, it only had 6 tracks on it though. Along with it came 6 b-side quality bonus tracks, one of them was decent.
Dream Theater made an excellent 10 tracks album, with one bonus track of b-side quality.
D/T wins for me.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 01:33:29 PM by Progmetty »
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2019, 12:33:16 PM »
Hardwired. Without a doubt. I know I’ll be in the minority here. All good.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2019, 02:17:56 PM »
They are both half killer/half filler.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2019, 02:20:38 PM »
Although Distance Over Time is far from a great album, it wins versus Hardwired easily.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2019, 02:23:47 PM »
I didn't even really like Hardwired that much, and rarely listen to it. Its definitely a solid album, but I very much preferred Death Magnetic. If Hardwired would have come out right after St. Anger, I would have been eating it up, but DM is the album that grabbed me and where my heart is.

Also, D/T is quick and to the point. Lean and mean. It does what it needs to do and is over before you know it and I'm very satisfied.   Hardwired just goes on and on. The songs aren't complex enough to be a double album imo. Yeah, they are catchy, but strait forward as well.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 02:36:26 PM by Phoenix87x »

Online NoseofNicko

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2019, 02:27:35 PM »
Hardwired is average.

Distance Over Time is excellent.

Online Mladen

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2019, 02:32:13 PM »
Both are good, but I think D/T is more consistent.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2019, 02:39:10 PM »
I never got around to check out Hardwired outside of the songs they released beforehand but D/T was only OK so I'm pretty sure I'd vote for Hardwired.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2019, 05:09:23 PM »
Either answer is a good one!   :tup
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline krands85

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2019, 05:11:47 PM »
Metallica made an excellent CD, it only had 6 tracks on it though. Along with it came 6 b-side quality bonus tracks, one of them was decent.
Dream Theater made an excellent 10 tracks album, with one bonus track of b-side quality.
D/T wins for me.
This is a good way of putting it I think. There's a lot of great stuff on Hardwired (especially Spit out the Bone which was my favourite Metallica song since the 80s), but so much of it is pretty forgettable. DoT isn't one of my favourite DT albums, but it's very consistent.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2019, 11:17:23 AM »

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2019, 11:33:49 AM »
Funny this comes up, as I was listening to D/T in the car and came away thinking that Fall Into the Light was pretty derivative of Metallica. I reckon Petrucci had them in his head at some point coming up with that.

I'll give the nod to DT on this one. It's really pretty close, but this is the first album from the Mangini era that I actually think is pretty good. They should get the edge for that.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2019, 02:16:01 PM »
As much as I love HtSD, D/T takes this pretty easily.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2019, 02:17:52 PM »
Hardwired was a solid return to good music for Metallica, I mean, half the album felt like filler material but there is more than enough meat in that album to really enjoy it.  However, I have been a bigger DT than Metallica fan so it's no real surprise that I enjoy D/T more.

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2019, 11:00:16 PM »
I know this is a DT forum so you kind of expect DT's albums to win the polls, but really. Distance over Time blows the shit out of Hardwired it's not even funny. I say this as a Metallica fan that actually liked Hardwired. It's a good album, but D/T is far better

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2019, 06:38:01 PM »
Metallica in this head-to-head: We're so fucked, shit outta luck.

D/T by a hundred country miles.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2019, 07:15:14 PM »
I'm shocked....SHOCKED I say....that the brand new DT album is beating an almost 3 year old Metallica album.....on a DT forum.

I'm just glad I didn't put money on this, I believe I'd look the fool.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2019, 07:31:11 PM »
First thing I said in the original post people. That's why it's best to give both albums a fair shake from a more neutral point of view. I'm more of a DT fan by far, but Metallica did make a good album with Hardwired.  They have a few heavy/prog sounding songs like on d/t. 
I bet if some weren't biased to either band,  This poll would be close to 50/50.
SO WHAT, if Hardwired came out nearly three years ago!  :\

Plus Hardwired was released in late November of 2016, that puts it closer to two years than three.  :biggrin:

« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 07:39:44 PM by Architeuthis »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2019, 07:39:36 PM »
Distance Over Time is better than every Metallica album not named Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets or Metallica. 

#shotsfired

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2019, 07:42:14 PM »
Distance Over Time is better than every Metallica album not named Ride the Lightning. 

#shotsfired

Yeah this too.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2019, 07:50:56 PM »
Ride The Lightning!   :metal

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2019, 08:00:28 AM »
I'm shocked....SHOCKED I say....that the brand new DT album is beating an almost 3 year old Metallica album.....on a DT forum.

I'm just glad I didn't put money on this, I believe I'd look the fool.

I prefer the DT album, so it got my vote, but you know how I feel about HW, I think it's a great Metallica record and a return to form 30 so years into their career.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2019, 08:31:07 AM »
I didn't think Hardwired was that great. Spit and Moth To Flame are good, but everything else was pretty boring. Iced Earth's Crucible of Man or even Dystopia are better albums than Hardwired.

DoT easily. Hell, The Astonishing easily. DT12, ADToE, Black Clouds, SC easily. Charlie Dominici singing the phone book easily.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2019, 09:47:31 AM »
They're both great, but voted DT because it's new I guess. Excellent return to forms from 2 legendary bands.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .