Author Topic: Your Favorite Mike Mangini moments in D/T  (Read 1558 times)

Offline erwinrafael

Your Favorite Mike Mangini moments in D/T
« on: March 10, 2019, 12:24:52 AM »
Mike Mangini is amazing in this record and it could be argued that this is his best Dream Theater work to date. These are my favorite Mangini moments in the album:

11. Pale Blue Dot (1:06 - 1:13) - Machine gun hi-hats are always fun to listen to, but more especially when it makes sense in the context of a song. This is distance over time, speed, as the spacecraft lifts off towards space. Over a 19/16 beat.

10. Untethered Angel (3:25 - 3:30) - I like it when Mangini is doing something different that sounds routine. He could just have drummed the snare to follow the keys and guitars like what he did in Outcry. But he opted to maintain that basic bass and snare beat underneath it to maintain the continuity from the previous section.

9. Barstool Warrior (0:53) - Mangini was just doing his usual fast and frantic drum rolls, but that brief ascending drum roll in the octobans syncing with Jordan's keys brought a smile to my face.

8. Fall Into the Light (0:08 - 0:33) - taking from the Mike Portnoy playbook for Dream Theater songs, doing a 6/8, 3/4, and 4/4 over the same riff.

7. S2n (1:06 - 1:30) - One of the grooviest rhythms ever in a Dream Theater song. The interplay between the bass, snare, and hi-hats is perfect.

6. At Wit's End (5:20 - 5:50) - Mangini played the bass and snare tight to build up to the outro, but the kicker for me here is the hi-hat work. That perfectly timed open hi-hat hit. The syncopated metronome. Then the weird hi-hat pattern in the left hand that makes you crazy thinking how you will hit the snare while doing all this.:lol , a pattern which Mangini stopped at the right moment so that it will not distract from the emotional outro.

5. Room 137 (0:25 - 0:37) - Mangini drumming a 7/4 beat with a triplet feel with snare, toms and bass, but he just had to insert the half note-hits in the cymbals in 4/4 so that it will not sound difficult.

4. S2n outro - The drumming here is just fun, with Mangini, JP and JM just locked together adding more and more hits to the start of the riff every cycle. Reminds me of Mangini and Pat Badger's work in "Leave Me Alone" by Extreme.

3. S2n chorus - Again, FUN really describes the drumming in these S2n sections. The chorus here, with the rides and the bass setting the groove, is what Mangini was trying to achieve in the chorus of the Live, Die, Kill section of Illumination Theory, but he now has the musical material to back up the groove.

2. Paralyzed intro - This is MM's 6:00 moment, where he demonstrates how musical he plays the drums. Killer drum composition, could have arranged the song so that this is the intro, not the riff.

1. Pale Blue Dot (5:48 - 6:02) - the whole PBD instrumental has killer drums, but this section where Mangini sounds like he's just winging it with a changing tempo is topnotch. That ride cymbal bell hit at 6:00 really made me clap.

How about you? What's your favorite Mangini moment in D/T?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 09:53:33 PM by erwinrafael »

Online Volante99

Re: Favorite Mike Mangini moments in D/T
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2019, 01:25:58 AM »
Illumination Theory - pretty much all of 11:00-14:00 (best part of the song). Mangini is really locked in with the rest of the band here.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2019, 01:29:48 AM »
Illumination Theory - pretty much all of 11:00-14:00 (best part of the song). Mangini is really locked in with the rest of the band here.

Yeah, but what do you think about his drumming in D/T? ;)

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2019, 01:34:19 AM »
That's nice though, admittedly. There are quite a few moments on D/T for me too, like the intro of Barstool and the entire instrumental section of PBD. (and I actually like what he does during the verse of Out Of Reach too)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Online Volante99

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2019, 01:42:59 AM »

Yeah, but what do you think about his drumming in D/T? ;)

Haha sorry my brain still sometimes misses that D/T is the new album, not just a weird shorthand for Dream Theater.

S2N is definitely Mangini’s shining track on the new album. He really drives that song.

Offline erwinrafael

Re: Your Favorite Mike Mangini moments in D/T
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2019, 10:04:10 PM »
So on my commute today, I just realized that I forgot to include my list, of all moments, the Paralyzed intro.  :lol Fixed!

Offline Vandalism

• DTF.org Alumni
  • A Voluntary Lapse of Reason
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2019, 10:45:48 PM »
The Walking Shadow - Final section. Crazy poly-rhythm.

Pale Blue Dot - Instrumental where MM slows down and plays toms on half notes.
\\m// Death is the first Dancing Turtle \\m//

Offline pcs90

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2019, 02:05:01 PM »
The PBD instrumental is nuts in general. I love how he builds up the intro of Paralyzed and think that could have went on for a bit longer, like how The Great Debate starts. FITL intro definitely reminded me of MP the first time I heard it! Some of your others I definitely know, some of them I will need to listen again. I always enjoy your lists as there are usually some things I hadn't noticed yet!

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2019, 03:30:16 PM »
I hadn't notice many of this details, thanks for sharing! I love MM's drumming, he is so subtle and it seems that he is playing so straight-forward but then, once one pays attention, there's a lot of details emerging!

The one thing I did notice was the strange hit hats pattern you described in AWE.

Offline spw5150

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2019, 07:33:03 PM »
I am a guitar player but I can air drum with the best of them.  Mangini is on fire on this album.  The original poster is spot on with his favorite moments.  It is unreal how talented he is.  PBD is a drum clinic

Offline PetFish

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2019, 09:41:57 PM »
I'm not a drummer but there's just *something* going on with Mangini on all of DoT that just makes me happy... and his sound is probably my favourite of any DT album... all of DoT sounds amazing.

Mangini is my definite MVP for DoT and well-deserved.

Thanks to OP for pointing out some specific moments for me to check out and appreciate more.

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2019, 04:46:41 PM »
Track by track favorite moments:

Untethered Angel: Groove at 2:15-2:34, unison and groove at 3:24-3:43

Paralyzed: No special moments, but I really like the fill at 3:38

Falling into the Light: the frantic snare roll from 0:51-1:04, and of course, the drum fill at the end :metal

Barstool Warrior: The solo/unison at 0:49-1:00, the groove at 2:43, the breakout at 4:20

Room 137: the insane groove on toms during the verses, the groove around 1:05 that reminds me of Bridges In The Sky and somehow late MP's style.

S2N: The entire song is great. Amazing groove and tasty fills all around. Love the ride during the choruses!

At Wit's End: Love how locked the drums are with guitar and bass riffs, but the groove around 2:47 is inevitable to be air-drummed. The hihats work around 5:42 is tasty as well... Finally, the drum fills around 6:58 and 7:10.

Out of Reach: This song in general, specially the drums, gives me a Surrounded/Another Day feeling, I like how it flows. I like it specially when the drums go on full power mode at 2:42.

Pale Blue Dot: Geez... What to say about a guy that can make you headbang to 19/16?? I can't list all my favorite MM moments in this song, as I think it's his masterpiece as drummer in DT.

Viper King: The final moments in the solo and the groove around 3:05 are great

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2019, 07:13:09 PM »

The intro did not captivate you? ;)

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2019, 08:00:31 PM »

The intro did not captivate you? ;)

Rhythmically speaking, yeah... It's good. But I don't like the guitar riff at all, so it doesn't get much of my attention, it's even close to annoy me, probably because somehow it reminds me of St. Anger  :lol . The chill section before the solo enters is creative too!

Offline evilasiojr

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2019, 09:32:16 PM »
There are lots of moments I could mention, most agreeing with the first post. But for me the intro that Mangini builds up on the drums in Paralyzed is one of the best things he's ever done, and it's not suuuuper technical. It's just great!!!

And a special and technical nod to PBD between 5:03 and 5:07 where he plays along the crazy JR solo doing some fills he commonly does at his drum solos, completely madness  :hefdaddy

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2019, 10:58:03 PM »
Does this mean no more Mangini drum solo in concerts? More than half of the techniques in his solo are in PBD. :lol