Author Topic: D/T instrumental opinions  (Read 1436 times)

Offline PMA

D/T instrumental opinions
« on: March 09, 2019, 11:31:27 AM »
I don't believe I've seen a thread on this yet but I am curious about what others think of the D/T songs released instrumentally.  For me it is a different experience listening to these songs without vocals.  A lot of subtlety in the arrangements that can't be heard with the vocals.  I love LaBrie but I also really like being able to focus solely on the music.  Opinions?

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
Re: D/T instrumental opinions
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2019, 12:06:21 PM »
I'm totally with you. It's interesting to hear how subdued the riffs can be over the vocals. What I always appreciated about DT is that they know when not to play. A lot of bands out there, the musicians just want to play. Everyone will constantly play to the full extent of their ability and bombast, and show off what they could do AT ALL TIMES. But with Dream Theater, a lot of the times, during the vocal parts, JP will only play a simple little riff, maybe even something a bit palm-muted or something, and it really lets the music breathe. And it is fun to just hear those quieter riffs and passages for what they are sometimes.
I really love the fact that they do release their instrumental mixes, and it's something I sorely missed from the past 2 albums. But for me, I sing, so another reason I like having the instrumental mixes is so I can sing to them myself. It's fun to sing along with LaBrie, but sometimes it's nice to just sing to nothing but music.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline PMA

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2019, 05:16:43 PM »
I'm totally with you. It's interesting to hear how subdued the riffs can be over the vocals. What I always appreciated about DT is that they know when not to play. A lot of bands out there, the musicians just want to play. Everyone will constantly play to the full extent of their ability and bombast, and show off what they could do AT ALL TIMES. But with Dream Theater, a lot of the times, during the vocal parts, JP will only play a simple little riff, maybe even something a bit palm-muted or something, and it really lets the music breathe. And it is fun to just hear those quieter riffs and passages for what they are sometimes.
I really love the fact that they do release their instrumental mixes, and it's something I sorely missed from the past 2 albums. But for me, I sing, so another reason I like having the instrumental mixes is so I can sing to them myself. It's fun to sing along with LaBrie, but sometimes it's nice to just sing to nothing but music.

I agree with you that JP knows when not to play or to be subdued during vocals.  I wish all their prior releases had instrumental mixes.  I'm a fan of The Astonishing, especially for how James sang it but I would very much like to hear just the music.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 10:07:26 AM by PMA »

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2019, 05:23:05 PM »
I'm totally with you there. The Astonishing is a fantastic musical journey through and through, so it would've been nice to listen to it, pretty much as a 'soundtrack', rather than as a musical. The melodies on it were amazing. And that goes for vocal melodies too, and that, I think, is an area that's been somewhat lacking in DT for a while, and something that JP really stepped his game up on, with The Astonishing. And I think that carried over to the new album quite well, because the vocal melodies on it are really good, and fun to sing. So I'm really happy that they released the instrumental mixes for it. I hope they continue to do so in subsequent albums, and also that they continue to write with this much emphasis on good melodies.

Offline Rammstein

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2019, 08:55:39 AM »
Thx to PMA for helping me out with the instrumentals  :heart ; always great to see support in a fan community. I love the instrumental versions, however the normal versions are awesome and I don't want to miss them. Hearing the versions without vocals helps me to appreciate JRs input. He gives so much more detail to the riffs (S2N e.g.).

Offline pcs90

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2019, 01:55:06 PM »
I'm always happy when they release instrumental mixes, as it can allow you to hear more details in the music. I will echo others above though, really wish they released the instrumentals for TA...that would be fantastic. The amount of work which went into that album is crazy and it was a bit shocking that the band didn't release those mixes.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2019, 09:38:17 PM »
Kinda surprised not more people have talked about it actually. The instrumental album is on YouTube and I listened to it today, and I must confess that a few tracks are actually stronger in their instrumental version (Barstool Warrior the main one from what I remember).
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2019, 01:22:15 AM »
I listened to the instrumental mix of S2n. OMG, the drums! The clearer cymbals sound made the drumming sound even more amazing.

Offline Rammstein

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2019, 06:29:21 AM »
you can really see that the guys step back for the song when needed. You can hear some keys that are very low and almost inaudible with vocals on top. E.g. Viper King organ in the chorus or piano in Barstool.

I always get more excited with bass and drums, they are so tight. I see that this could not be achieved (live) with MP, because he would never play the bass drum exactly like on the album. But with Barstool Warrior for example that is needed, because Myung plays the bass drum pattern in the verses.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2019, 07:41:40 AM »
Yeah, some of the instrumental mixes are cool, nice to listen to and gives a different perspective. You can really hear a lot of the subtle JR parts without the vocals in certain parts.

Offline PMA

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2019, 01:24:33 PM »
Kinda surprised not more people have talked about it actually. The instrumental album is on YouTube and I listened to it today, and I must confess that a few tracks are actually stronger in their instrumental version (Barstool Warrior the main one from what I remember).

Barstool Warrior both vocally and especially instrumentally is my favorite track.  I really believe it could have been a longer song.  It is so melodic to me and is different from all the other songs which are heavier in my opinion.  I love the whole release and it has grown on my considerably on each listen.

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2019, 02:50:12 PM »
Barstool Warrior both vocally and especially instrumentally is my favorite track.  I really believe it could have been a longer song.  It is so melodic to me and is different from all the other songs which are heavier in my opinion.  I love the whole release and it has grown on my considerably on each listen.

I think if Barstool Warrior was longer, (like 10+ minutes), it would be a perfect album closer, with its very satisfying and resolved conclusion. But of course, if they did that, then people would compare it to Learning To Live and Trial of Tears and say, "It's not as good, therefore it's worthless."
So just as well that it's a shorter and sweeter song.

Offline PMA

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2019, 05:48:30 PM »

I think if Barstool Warrior was longer, (like 10+ minutes), it would be a perfect album closer, with its very satisfying and resolved conclusion. But of course, if they did that, then people would compare it to Learning To Live and Trial of Tears and say, "It's not as good, therefore it's worthless."
So just as well that it's a shorter and sweeter song.

Good point, that happened a lot with Breaking All Illusions getting compared to Learning to Live.  I think the former is the best song they've done in the Mangini era but they are both great songs without needing that type of comparison.