Poll

Which song from D/T would make the best concert opener?

Untethered angel
28 (27.2%)
Paralyzed
10 (9.7%)
Fall into the light
18 (17.5%)
Barstool warrior
3 (2.9%)
Room 137
1 (1%)
S2N
7 (6.8%)
At wit's end
4 (3.9%)
Out of reach
2 (1.9%)
Pale blue dot
30 (29.1%)

Total Members Voted: 103

Author Topic: Which song from D/T would make the best concert opener?  (Read 2515 times)

Offline Mladen

Which song from D/T would make the best concert opener?
« on: March 09, 2019, 03:44:08 AM »
This doesn't necessarily have to be a prediction, it's just what you feel would be a really good way to start the show.

Personally, I think Pale blue dot would be a terrific opener, especially with its atmospheric intro. I can image the band kicking it off with the huge riffs and things just calming down before James comes out. The chorus, the instrumental and the ending all scream "opener" for me.

What do you guys think?

Online SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
Re: Which song from D/T would make the best concert opener?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2019, 03:45:24 AM »
Fall Into The Light.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline 1neeto

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2019, 03:50:37 AM »
Room 137. Nothing will get that crowd going right away than that riff. They could hold that riff for maybe a while, and have MM do some cool fills before JlB starts pumping up the crowd and then he starts singing. I think it would be perfect.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2019, 04:59:44 AM »
Fall Into The Light.

Too much of a momentum killer having a slow part, no matter how beautiful, three minutes into the show.

Untethered Angel and Pale Blue Dot would both work best.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2019, 05:40:27 AM »
I JUST wanted to post about this :D

I think they should definitely open with Pale Blue Dot!!!
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2019, 06:33:33 AM »
Looks like people are voting for one of the official trailers.  I voted UA just for that reason.  They've opened shows with their first song off the album before.

I see what people are saying about PBD and they're not wrong, but they wouldn't open with the album closer, right?

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2019, 06:50:10 AM »
Looks like people are voting for one of the official trailers.  I voted UA just for that reason.  They've opened shows with their first song off the album before.

I see what people are saying about PBD and they're not wrong, but they wouldn't open with the album closer, right?

Well, it's not a closer, but the Dramatic Tour was opened by Bridges In The Skies instead of On The Backs. I think it's more of a surprise.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Mladen

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2019, 07:16:52 AM »
I get where you're coming from. Opening a show with an album closer looks like a silly option on paper, but when you think of it as a song and not the album closer, it seems like a better idea. It would also be an unpredictable, original move.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2019, 07:24:26 AM »
I went with an unconventional choice: Barstool Warrior. The intro where each instrument comes in one by one would work very well with coordinated spotlights. And I can imagine JLB entering and shouting "Good evening, Manila!" while JP is doing the first melodic theme.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2019, 02:32:42 PM »
I went with an unconventional choice: Barstool Warrior. The intro where each instrument comes in one by one would work very well with coordinated spotlights. And I can imagine JLB entering and shouting "Good evening, Manila!" while JP is doing the first melodic theme.

Glad to see I wasn't the only one who thought that BW would make for a solid show opener!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline gm5k

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2019, 02:58:00 PM »
Even though I don't like UA all that much, I think it checks all the boxes for a DT opener.  Epic haunting intro, heavy riffs, never loses energy and isn't too proggy.  I'd prefer others as the opener, but UA makes the most sense I think. 

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2019, 03:16:40 PM »
Paralyzed seems like a perfect opener to me, but I also agree that UA would be solid too. I really like the build up at the beginning of Paralyzed and I think it would get the crowd amped up.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2019, 06:58:46 PM »
Why no option for Viper King?

I think this would actually be a cool opener and totally not what anyone would expect.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2019, 07:27:47 PM »
Actually, I think Pale Blue Dot would be a really cool opener.

"Hello from the children of planet earth"

*Mangini intro*

I think that works really well and it has great energy to it for an opening tune

Out of curiosity Bosk, do you know the setlist for this tour?
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2019, 07:36:14 PM »
PBD would be an AMAZING opener, but I'm pretty confident they'll play it at the end of set 1 or as the encore. Voted for FITL.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2019, 01:56:07 AM »
Pale Blue Dot is not a good opening song. For one thing it is very technical and epic, the band needs to be well warmed up and into the zone before they tackle that one.
 Same goes for FITL, that middle section is just too emotional and dynamic to start out of the gate. That song should be saved for when the sound guy has everything dialed in, which usually takes a few songs.
I would say UA or Room 137 would be better openers.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2019, 03:00:37 AM »
Pale Blue Dot is not a good opening song. For one thing it is very technical and epic, the band needs to be well warmed up and into the zone before they tackle that one.

But they started the last tour with TDEN.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2019, 03:13:53 AM »

Yeah, I don't know how they do it..  :lol
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2019, 04:10:09 AM »
Out of curiosity Bosk, do you know the setlist for this tour?

I seem  to remember he doesn't want to know and told the band as much. He's right, surprises are always best  :metal
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2019, 01:54:46 PM »

I think this would actually be a cool opener and totally not what anyone would expect.

I probably would’ve picked that too.  A great live rocker tune to get the audience pumped up for the show.  :tup
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2019, 09:03:03 AM »

Yeah, I don't know how they do it..  :lol

TDEN is also very heavy and riff driven, I think that's why it works. That's what I noticed recently, (since, like, 2010), they like to open their shows with something heavy that starts with memorable, chunky riffs. Off the top of my head, I recall them opening with As I Am, The Enemy Inside, Bridges In The Sky, and of course, TDEN, on the shows that I've seen them play.

So given that, I can see them opening this show with Room 137 or maybe Paralyzed.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2019, 10:36:39 AM »
Pale Blue Dot would be an INCREDIBLE opener to the set.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2019, 10:48:47 AM »
Fairly certain it will be Fall Into the Light. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2019, 11:22:53 AM »
What would make the best?  For me, and this is a minority here, At Wit's End.  Just start with that awesome guitar part and the heavy intro for JLB too  :metal :metal then it ends epicly and they could go into something else.  Kind of like how ANTR was an intro epic song that started heavy and had the mellow part early. 

However, more ideally, I see Untethered Angel being the go to.  It starts the album, it's the first single, it's a more straight forward heavy song.  PBD would be pretty cool too though.

Offline JLa

« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2019, 12:39:13 PM »
Pale Blue Dot for sure.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2019, 08:24:31 PM »
S2N, easily
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2019, 09:31:43 PM »
Paralyzed or S2N.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Volante99

« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2019, 10:17:06 PM »
Either Untethered Angel or Fall into the Light will be the first song.  No question about it.

Offline AikeaGuinea

« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2019, 10:35:09 PM »
It will definitely be Unearthed Angel, it's everything a concert opener should be!!

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2019, 02:56:58 AM »
What would make the best?  For me, and this is a minority here, At Wit's End.  Just start with that awesome guitar part and the heavy intro for JLB too  :metal :metal then it ends epicly and they could go into something else. 
I actually kind of like that idea!   :tup

As far as FITL goes, it needs to be a ways into the show. That middle section is too dynamic and emotional to be a concert opener. The sound through the mains needs to be perfected by the time that song shows up in the set list..

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2019, 08:30:20 AM »
S2N. I can just see Myung in the spotlight before the whole band kicks in. Also provides a kickass intro for James.

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2019, 08:40:45 AM »
Pale Blue Dot. It's not a too long song, epic intro, has lot of energy.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2019, 09:37:58 AM »

I'd dig that as well.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline cygnusx1jg

« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2019, 11:36:09 AM »
I'm probably biased since I was there at RCMH when they recorded Score, but Root of All Evil is a REALLY great opening song.
Hope is what remains to be seen. Now we must tend our garden.