Author Topic: At Wit's End Discussion Thread  (Read 3055 times)

Offline erwinrafael

At Wit's End Discussion Thread
« on: March 08, 2019, 06:16:21 PM »
Can we finally have this thread where we can discuss the whole AWE instead of just parts of AWE? :-P

AWE is such an appropriate acronym for this song. It really stirs up a lot of emotions. It's grandiose but grounded at the same time.

My favorite elements:

The intro. Not really that frantic intro, but rather the part when the piano, bass and drums do the slow emotional intro while the guitar continued the frantic riffing. I was like, what the hell is happening? Have they done something like this before?

The pre-chorus in the second verse. Amazing vocal detour. I hope they could pull this off with actual backing vocals.

The pre-outro. Yes, before the much lauded outro, I was already enamored when JP and JM did the crawing riff. Mangini's unusual hi-hat work threw me off the loop and made me smile.

The outro. JP is the obvious star here, but everybody made this magnificent. JR's piano work is a nice counterpoint to JP. MM drummed in a non-Finally Free fashion, doing amazing fills without losing the intended emotion of the music.

The only thing I wish they revised would be the solos. They are too aggressive given the message of the lyrics.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 08:02:09 PM by erwinrafael »

Offline The Letter M

Re: At Wit's End Discussion Thread
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2019, 07:07:00 PM »
Consider this the official discussion thread, as I have added it to my pinned post, Index of Albums & Songs.

But yes, great song, and I'm growing to love it more and more each day I hear it. I want to talk more about it, but I'm about to leave work so I'll share more thoughts later!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online geeeemo

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2019, 09:26:12 PM »

The only thing I wish they revised would be the solos. They are too aggressive given the message of the lyrics.

What I hear in the aggressiveness is the depiction of the uglinines, the horror, the disruption, the chaos, of what a woman goes through and the impact on the relationship. The melancholy music is coupled with that to express the pleading of the man not to leave and sadness of both of them -
I have no experience with this topic, but I first start feeling intense emotion when that keyboard solo starts at about 3 1/2 minutes. Then my heart plants firmly in my throat when the piano comes in, followed by "Asked me to listen" and stays there until the end. Just awesome :hefdaddy

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2019, 07:43:14 AM »
I figured I'd post this here instead of creating a new thread. I just wanted to talk about how great the lyrics are. It might be one of JLB's finest moments lyrically.
I finally looked the lyrics over in detail and yeah, in particular the context of the words, "don't leave me now", in each part of the song really stood out to me.
As we know, the song is about trying to hold together a relationship after something traumatic happens to one of the partners in the relationship. More specifically, JLB said it's about a girl who was raped, and the strain that it put on her relationship with her partner.

So the first part of the lyrics, it's the boyfriend/husband, trying to get through to her, trying to get her to trust him, to open up, to keep what they have alive, and telling her, "Don't leave me now," I know that it's hard, but just stay with me, we can get through this. It's such a struggle and he's at wit's end, trying to get through to her.
But when the quiet section kicks in, the perspective shifts to the woman, an internal dialogue, the inner struggle that she's feeling, "not admitting what I've lost is still in you". And at the end, "Don't leave me now," is coming from her, finally breaking down and reaching out for his support, because she's at wit's end with her emotional state, which she doesn't want to be in. It's not just a phrase repeating itself, it takes on a whole new meaning. Maybe it's very B-line and obvious to some of you, I don't know, but I thought it was very nicely nuanced, and I just wanted to point it out and, well, show my appreciation.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2019, 08:21:02 AM »
I figured I'd post this here instead of creating a new thread. I just wanted to talk about how great the lyrics are. It might be one of JLB's finest moments lyrically.

Totally.  I mentioned this to him after the SF show, and he really latched onto that comment and ran with it.  It is obvious that he really enjoys the process of lyric writing and has a strong emotional attachment to the stories he is able to craft.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2019, 10:40:39 AM »
I finally looked the lyrics over in detail and yeah, in particular the context of the words, "don't leave me now", in each part of the song really stood out to me.
As we know, the song is about trying to hold together a relationship after something traumatic happens to one of the partners in the relationship. More specifically, JLB said it's about a girl who was raped, and the strain that it put on her relationship with her partner.

So the first part of the lyrics, it's the boyfriend/husband, trying to get through to her, trying to get her to trust him, to open up, to keep what they have alive, and telling her, "Don't leave me now," I know that it's hard, but just stay with me, we can get through this. It's such a struggle and he's at wit's end, trying to get through to her.
But when the quiet section kicks in, the perspective shifts to the woman, an internal dialogue, the inner struggle that she's feeling, "not admitting what I've lost is still in you". And at the end, "Don't leave me now," is coming from her, finally breaking down and reaching out for his support, because she's at wit's end with her emotional state, which she doesn't want to be in. It's not just a phrase repeating itself, it takes on a whole new meaning. Maybe it's very B-line and obvious to some of you, I don't know, but I thought it was very nicely nuanced, and I just wanted to point it out and, well, show my appreciation.

Phew, great post TGP. Offers a new perspective for me. Kuddos!

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline rab7

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2019, 12:14:33 PM »
I don't know if someone brought it up in another thread, but I absolutely love how in the Outro solo, when John Petrucci does the melody in the highest octave, he doesn't immediately go up to the 5th like he did in the lower octaves. He waits a little while, and then when he finally does it, he follows it with the highest note in the solo, and then immediately goes to a new melody while Rudess plays a descending piano line behind it.

Probably my favorite single moment in the entire album.

Offline emtee

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2019, 01:38:12 PM »
It's one of the best songs they have ever written.

Offline JRuless

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2019, 01:50:47 PM »

For me too. I am very linked to the subject and reliving an earlier relationship with this song. We didnt manage to get it alive. I had to leave, in the end there was no option.  It is as Labrie wrote. That alone amazes me. And than Petrucci. Amazing ambience. Tears.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2019, 01:53:41 PM »

Well done, lovely song.  Can't believe there was a thread for it and it didn't get noticed until now.

After a couple months, this is still my favorite from the album and pretty easily too.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2019, 09:56:11 PM »
An absolutely beautiful piece all around.

This is just one of the songs you can play for morons who say JP is too technical and too fast and all the other blah blah blahs that he has no emotion.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2019, 03:26:59 AM »
Great great song. Loved it from first listen.

I think it's a brilliant representation of what DT are all about: the balance of aggression, technical virtuosity, and that emotional impact that really connects you to the song.

I've mentioned in the other thread about the "Asked me to listen" section into the outro, that brings a lump to the throat, nearly every time. The emotional buildup is just so well done. It's moments like these that reaffirm DT as my favourite band.

Offline krands85

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2019, 04:34:32 AM »
It was one of my top 3 tracks on the album from the get-go, but I think it has now surpassed Pale Blue Dot as my favourite. PBD has more of what I normally love most about the band, with the crazy instrumental work, but AWE packs far more of an emotional punch. Absolutely stellar work from JLB and JP, especially towards the end of the song and that bend by JP at about 7:20 still sounds as amazing as when I first heard it.

I also had a period about a week or so ago when I had parts of the song stuck in my head for about 3 days straight, which is always a good sign I think.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2019, 04:45:55 AM »

For me too. I am very linked to the subject and reliving an earlier relationship with this song. We didnt manage to get it alive. I had to leave, in the end there was no option.  It is as Labrie wrote. That alone amazes me. And than Petrucci. Amazing ambience. Tears.

Wow, JRuless, it must be tough to relive this moment in your life through the song. Sorry for you mate.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2019, 07:59:30 PM »
The intro. Not really that frantic intro, but rather the part when the piano, bass and drums do the slow emotional intro while the guitar continued the frantic riffing. I was like, what the hell is happening? Have they done something like this before?

This part of the song shouldn't work. At all. But the way Petrucci plays it has a really desperate quality to it, and the chords really hit you.

DUDE YOU'RE RIGHT!!!
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2019, 05:50:32 AM »
When the intro riffs continues over Jordan’s mournful piano chords was an instant recall to Train of Thought / ItNOG style.

The ‘something’s missing’ section is probably my favorite moment of the album.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2019, 12:34:09 PM »
The ‘something’s missing’ section is probably my favorite moment of the album.

Might as well be mine.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2019, 01:10:55 PM »
"Warped inside its never ending tide..."

A perfect moment. Incredible song. I wish JLB would write more lyrics. This is exactly the kind of lyrical content DT's music warrants. Relevant, thoughtful, powerful. Not to pivot off-topic but my love for this kind of greatness might explain why I found TA's lyrics so fist-gnawingly grating.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline H2

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2019, 12:54:36 AM »
AWE has to be the best song of the Mangini era. It's like the best parts of old-DT and the best parts of new-DT came together.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2019, 06:59:14 AM »
This is definitely a great song, and one of the best of the Mangini era.  I might be ready to elevate it over Fall into the Light as my favorite from the new record.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2019, 07:58:34 AM »
I love this song a lot. Once the soft section hits, it gets really epic.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Woodworker1

« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2019, 02:18:53 PM »
I think AWE contains not only the best lyrics on the album, but also the best riffs as well.

Songs like this are why I listen to DT.

If anyone disagrees with me I'll meet you outside at 20 paces!

Offline robbob

« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2019, 07:50:13 PM »
Great, great song. Everything about it is strong, lyrics, melody, emotion. Favorite song on the album.
Was really shocked that they're not playing it on this 1st leg of this tour.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2019, 10:23:05 AM »
Definitely one of my favs on the album.  So many great melodies and accompaniments.  One of DT's best outros ever.  :hefdaddy
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline RipRokken

« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2019, 05:51:18 PM »
This is also one of my favorites on the album, and I can also relate to the subject and experience.

Offline Drinktheater

« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2019, 03:45:00 PM »
Can we finally have this thread where we can discuss the whole AWE instead of just parts of AWE? :-P

AWE is such an appropriate acronym for this song. It really stirs up a lot of emotions. It's grandiose but grounded at the same time.

My favorite elements:

The pre-chorus in the second verse. Amazing vocal detour. I hope they could pull this off with actual backing vocals.

The pre-outro. Yes, before the much lauded outro, I was already enamored when JP and JM did the crawing riff. Mangini's unusual hi-hat work threw me off the loop and made me smile.

The outro. JP is the obvious star here, but everybody made this magnificent. JR's piano work is a nice counterpoint to JP. MM drummed in a non-Finally Free fashion, doing amazing fills without losing the intended emotion of the music.

Oh wow yeah its a good song over all lyrically speaking as well.

But damn yeah that final solo.

Its like JP has a pallet of emotions and he just started painting with it!
And she listens openly