Poll

Which group of 4 albums do you prefer?

TOT, 8VM, SC, and BC&SL
ADTOE, DT12, TA, d/t

Author Topic: The 4 MM-era albums VS The Last 4 MP-era albums  (Read 4548 times)

Online The Letter M

The 4 MM-era albums VS The Last 4 MP-era albums
« on: March 08, 2019, 11:54:36 AM »
Now that the band have 4 albums under their belts with Mangini, how do you like them compared to the last four they did with Portnoy? Better or worse? And why do you prefer the four you prefer?

For me, this is a tough one. The last four with MP can be a bit of a mixed bag, especially coming after two albums that are beloved by many fans (SFAM and SDOIT). On the other hand, the MM albums have had their misses as well, most notably TA, which has its fans, but more often than not, falls flat for some.

Anyways, I pose this question to you all and I'll think about my own answer over the course of the day...

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline darkshade

Re: The 4 MM-era albums VS The Last 4 MP-era albums
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2019, 11:59:27 AM »
Last 4 MP albums.

All 8 albums have their issues of course, but nothing on the Mangini albums can stand next to the best of the last 4 MP albums. I have little desire to listen to TA again outside of a few tracks, and same for DT12, that's a lot of material I have no care for from one of my favorite life long bands, and I place only a little blame on MM for that.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2019, 11:59:51 AM »
Hard to say.

As a whole, maybe, the Mangini albums, which are all great. Counting the peaks, Octavarium (the song) can't be beaten and Train of Thought has many great songs too, with the last 2 MP album being not so good (for DT standards of course).
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2019, 12:02:56 PM »
Option B just by a bit.   Octavarium is the saving grace for option A, being that it's easily in my top 3 DT allbums. If it wasn't for 8vm, option B would have won by a landslide!
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2019, 12:05:13 PM »
Mangini albums, without question. The band sound so much fresher and liberated.

Offline RAIN

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2019, 12:10:55 PM »
No contest, those last 4 MP era albums are phenomenal.  I think each one has only 1 bad song on each, but come on, A Nightmare to Remember is possibly the best DT song ever, and In the Presence of Enemies is a 25 minute epic when spliced together properly...and all of TOT is amazing.
On the other hand, I have to cherry pick certain songs off of each of the MM era albums, skip almost all of TA, and only DOT is passable.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2019, 12:14:19 PM »

This.  And that isn't a knock on those MP albums.  They're great.  But they don't hold a candle to the 4 most recent albums, IMO, even with Octavarium being the best song on all 8.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2019, 12:26:01 PM »

This.  And that isn't a knock on those MP albums.  They're great.  But they don't hold a candle to the 4 most recent albums, IMO, even with Octavarium being the best song on all 8.

Octavarium being the best song ever. IMHO :biggrin:

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2019, 12:34:46 PM »
I can respect that.  It's not my personal favorite.  But it's in my top 3.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Peace and Love

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2019, 12:41:20 PM »
Taken as a whole, the 4 MM-era albums win for me. They sound more inspired and "fun" to me.

Having said that, the high points from the last 4 MP-era albums absolutely stand up to anything from the entire DT catalog (songs like Octavarium and TCOT). It's just that the lows are really bad (to me). These days I almost always skip certain songs like Repentance, A Rite of Passage, The Best of Times, Never Enough, etc.

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2019, 12:50:06 PM »
Quite easily the late Portnoy albums. Train Of Thought is one of my top 2 albums, the other 3 are all very strong albums too and contain some of DT's best songs.

Offline Art

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2019, 12:50:38 PM »
I love TOT, like a good chunk of 8V,  don't like SC and like BC&SL.

I am ok with (but don't love) ADTOE and DT12, don't like TA and really like D/T.

So, to me, it's the last 4 MP albums, but D/T really narrowed that gap. The band is on the up.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 01:04:46 PM by Art »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2019, 12:59:59 PM »
I have to go with the MM-era 4.

I really like ToT and 8V, the latter of which I might have to move up my list a little after a recent listen sounded really great, but even though I do like SC and BC&SL, they are my two least favorite albums by the band.

ADTOE, outside of a few songs, is not aging as well for me as many of their other albums, but I like DT12, loved most of The Astonishing, and am really like the new record a lot.

Offline bill1971

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2019, 01:04:45 PM »
By far the 4 Mangini albums. They sound more tight, more fresh, more inspired. No more awkward vocals.  They are all on the top of their games.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2019, 01:09:05 PM »
Easily the last 4 MM albums. I'm not a fan of either SC or BCSL, while I really like ADTOE, DT12 and D/T.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Operation: Slothcrime
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2019, 01:13:13 PM »
The 4 MM albums. No contest.

Between the last 4 MP albums, I like maybe 1 album's worth of songs. Whereas the MM lineup has released 3 stellar albums and 1 WTF album(TA)

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2019, 01:14:08 PM »
The 4 MM albums, no question. Those 4 albums + the Big 4 of the MP era albums (IAW, Awake, SFAM and SDOIT) are the best of the DT calatog imo.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline pg1067

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2019, 01:48:18 PM »
It's very close.  I have to go with the last four MP albums, but that could change in a couple weeks as I hear more of DOT and see the live show (two weeks from today!).

TOT and 8VA are great, although each has some down moments (the two MP songs on TOT, IWBY and "Never Enough").  On the other hand, SC and BC&SL have more low moments than high points (esp. SC).

ADTOE has some very high highs but also has a lot of "meh."  DT12 is more consistent.  It's too early for me to tell with DOT.  I like everything so far, but nothing has jumped out as "all time great" and, by the same token, there are no "Repentances" or TBOTs on DOT.  Unfortunately, TA really is determinative in a negative way.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline MarkFitDT

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2019, 01:50:58 PM »
The 4 MM albums by a long chalk for me. So much uninspired stuff on the last 2 Portnoy albums imho. I cant remember the last time I listened to anything from SC and anything bar The Count from BCASL. Decent albums by most bands standards but not DTs.

Online krands85

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2019, 02:05:00 PM »
It feels pretty close to me at first glance. Each group has a top tier album (ToT & ADTOE), an upper mid-tier album (8VM & DoT), a lower mid-tier album (SC & TA) and a bottom tier album (BC&SL & DT12).

I'd have to give the edge to the MP albums - I think I just about favour the MP album in 3 of those 4 pairings above. The MP albums also have more of my absolute favourite individual DT songs. DoT & TA are lacking songs that would make my top 10 tracks which harms the cause of the MM era.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2019, 02:08:09 PM »
Honestly it's about dead even so I had to calculate it a different way.

Astonishing was a major misstep in my mind. BC was a minor misstep. So if you eliminate those albums the Mangini era has two flawless albums, ADTOE and DOT. DT12 is very strong.

While I love the remaining Portnoy albums I would say that SC is flawless and the other two are just very strong. So Mangini era wins by a hair.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2019, 04:29:12 PM »
Definitely gonna go with the last 4 MP albums.

While none of them are absolute gems IMO, they do have some spectacular moments. ToT and 8V are probably around the high-mid tier of their discography for me. Not amazing records but the more contemporary rock influences on 8V and the dark and despondent ToT were both relatively untouched sonic directions for the band that, more often than not, paid off.

The misstep on this run of albums is for sure BC&SL, which sits close to the bottom of their discography for me, and is what mainly bogs it down.

The 4 MM albums to me range from bad to "good not great". I've made my thoughts on TA clear at this point: it sits at the very bottom of the ranking for me. The other 3, however, are all low-mid tier in my ranking. ADTOE and DoT are solid but still feel a bit like DT by numbers to an extent, despite some pretty good songs on both. I feel almost the same about DT12, except for its abysmal production.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2019, 05:31:10 PM »
Dang this is tougher than I would have thought. MM-era but not by a whole lot.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2019, 05:36:03 PM »
Just because it is tough doesn't mean there isn't a correct answer.

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2019, 05:42:10 PM »
I love the 4 Mangini albums but I went with the last 4 MP records (testament to how much I love this band's discography). 5 of my top 10 DT songs are on the last 4 MP albums - Stream of Consciousness, In The Name of God, Octavarium, In The Presence of Enemies, The Count of Tuscany.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2019, 05:48:52 PM »
This is easy for me.

Offline Kyo

• Myung at Heart
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2019, 06:13:22 PM »
Very easy for me as well. I'll take the Mangini era over the late Portnoy era any day of the week!
"Freedom in the 21st Century means being incommunicado."

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2019, 07:21:18 PM »
This was tough for me too, but the last 4 MM-era albums are way more consistent... some of those MP-era albums have songs that I don't plan on listening to ever again (on 8VM and SC), even though I like the majority of the songs on those MP albums.

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2019, 07:53:09 PM »
Oh, very easy! 4MM

The 4 MPs are the worst DT discs in my raking.

I think 8V is an ok record, with an amazing title track.

TOT has aged very poorly. My contempt for the album is increasing. That's a progressive caricature in my book. The worst legacy in the DT history.

SC and BCSL: need to comment?

The 4 MM:

ADTOE is in my top 5.

DT12 and TA aren't in top 5, but are very solid albums.

D/T too early to ranking, but very strong album.

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2019, 08:41:38 PM »
As much as I like Octavarium and Tater ToT, Imma have to go with the last 4 MM albums. The Astonishing, d/t/DoT, and ADToE are all fantastic records and DT12 is okay.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2019, 08:51:10 PM »
It seems like there are more people picking the 4 MM-era albums than I imagined, and it's a majority of the votes as well.

I am still deciding which set of four I would pick, to be honest, though the more and more I listen to d/t, the more I love it, and I already really love ADTOE, as well as most of DT12. Of the four MM-era albums, that's nearly 55% of the music from that era that I really love and would listen to any day of the week. In the four MP-era albums, I'd say I really love about 80% of the music, but there's about 40 minutes less music (since TA was a double). I think not really getting into TA really lands a blow to the MM-era for me so far, but it could be that I come back to it in a few years and fall in love with it.

As it stands, I think I am leaning slight more towards the MP albums, but the MM ones have their own charm and style that has grown on me since 2011.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2019, 09:04:11 PM »
My top individual songs for each era:

MM-era:
BAI
S2n
IT
AWE
ONW
STR
TPTD
R137
BW
BITS

FinalMP-era

ITPOE2
These Walls
PA
8VM
Vacant
SoC
TROAE
ITPOE1
ES
AIA

Online TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2019, 10:08:30 PM »
As much as I hate to vote against Octavarium, it’s the only album of the final for MP era DT records in the top half of my rankings.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline 1neeto

« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2019, 03:34:16 AM »
Impossible list because there’s great and not so great on that list. Out of those 8 albums, this is how I’d rate them:

1. Octavarium (even if I walk Beside You is in my top 3 worst DT songs list)
2. TOT
3. DOT
4. ADTOE
5. BC&SL
6. DT12
7. SC.
124191636. TA
« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 01:13:40 PM by 1neeto »

Offline erciccio

« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2019, 04:07:18 AM »
MM by far

The last 4 MP are at the bottom of my rankings, together with FII and WDADU

There are 2 great songs ( octavarium and in the name of god), one nice ballad (vacant) and a great solo (tbot).
All the rest for me it's totally unispired

On the other hand, I love TA and ADTOE, and also DT and D/T as a whole are better than any of the 4 last MPs, even without peaks.
Ora che ho perso la vista,ci vedo di più