Poll

How many female fans of Dream Theater do you know?

None
57 (51.4%)
One
22 (19.8%)
Two
11 (9.9%)
Three+
21 (18.9%)

Total Members Voted: 109

Voting closed: March 27, 2019, 06:30:18 PM

Author Topic: Women of Dream Theater  (Read 6999 times)

Offline madeline99

Women of Dream Theater
« on: March 07, 2019, 05:30:18 PM »
Taking this toll in order to see how many fellow females are out there! Thanks for your contribution.

Offline jammindude

Re: Women of Dream Theater
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2019, 06:56:22 PM »
From here, I have seen a few.   But none IRL. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2019, 10:16:35 PM »
I don’t know any legitimate female fans of Dream Theater, but I know a few women who like them.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2019, 11:25:13 PM »
3+ through Voices, the former official English language fan club. None outside of that, though. (My partner likes their music but really doesn't like James, especially not live. But she comes with me to every show, regardless.)
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Online Mladen

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2019, 04:23:38 AM »
More than three. And believe it or not, none of them are fans just because of their boyfriends or husbands.  ;D

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2019, 04:31:28 AM »
A female gave lended me her copy of Images and Words and Awake but we didn't keep in touch long after that so I guess 1, but i can't really think of any females I currently know (outside of DTF) that are fans.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2019, 04:34:33 AM »
My cousing came to see DT in 2000, she never came back ever since and recently she told me she's not into that kind of stuff, and the ex girlfriend of a coworker who's a fellow DT fan showed up with him at a concert.

That's basically it I guess.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline bill1971

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2019, 08:31:37 AM »
None.
Although I only know personally 2 males that like them despite my best efforts. :)

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2019, 08:47:00 AM »
Only my wife!  :metal

No, kidding, I know, a couple more.

Offline gborland

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2019, 09:26:15 AM »
Several. Not an exact count, but way more than three.
Graham Borland

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2019, 09:28:56 AM »
Several. Not an exact count, but way more than three.

Exactly.  I don't get the point of this poll.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline pg1067

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2019, 10:05:50 AM »
In real life, none.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2019, 10:49:37 AM »
IRL?

One :lol
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2019, 11:38:19 AM »
Oh, we're talking in real life?  Um...does Nick count?  If so, then I can still say 3+.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline NunoTenniscourt

• President of my uncle's Anti-Nepotism Organization
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2019, 12:26:25 PM »

I know quite a lot, personally, but most of them aren't as fanatical about the band as the guys are.

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2019, 01:11:39 PM »
One. Myself. My husband I think has become a tad bit jealous by my fanaticism :rollin. He will go with me if they play in town, but he won't travel. I took one sister-in-law. She likes everything, but not a "fan". I am taking another sister-in-law this month...There is a chance for her. I been working on it! She came to visit last summer - we took a drive around Lake Tahoe and I only played DT lol! :lol I just sent her two cd's in the mail for the upcoming concert to prime her....

At least I have my son who really digs DT and will travel to see them (LA - two weeks baby!) He's a metal head, and sometime the prog freaks him out. I think he travels to see them because it is on mom's dime. Ha!Ha!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2019, 01:45:32 PM »
The Queen loaves Dream Theater and has seen every tour from I&W to this April except TOT tour.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2019, 01:57:51 PM »
DTF's contribution to International Women's Day, I guess.

To answer the question...none.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2019, 02:33:32 PM »
I don't think I know any DT fans of any gender IRL other than some casual listeners. I guess that's a matter of definition.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2019, 04:07:49 PM »
Anyone remember the "DT grandma"?
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2019, 04:15:40 PM »
To answer the OP: it's a 'no' from me. Only know a few people IRL who are even casual fans, all male, and for all of them, I was the one who tuned them into the band.

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2019, 04:22:42 PM »
My wife likes about 10 songs of theirs (the softer ones). I've played the Budokan version of Hollow Years for some female friends and they all loved it.

Oddly enough, the one song that every woman (including my 67 year old mother) seems to love is I Walk Beside You. I've never got a bad reaction to that from women when I've given it them to listen.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2019, 04:23:39 PM »
I think the main issue is simply that it is REALLY hard to make a sandwich for your man in 5/8.

Offline 1neeto

« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2019, 03:46:56 AM »

Is she from Seattle? Because I’m 2014 me and my wife went there for their Seattle leg of their Along For The Ride tour, and right in front of me, there was this lady that had to be at least 68, maybe 70 years old.

So yeah, I’ve seen only her and my wife. But legend goes that there were a few girls dancing to The Mirror in Boston.  :metal  :rollin

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2019, 08:34:31 PM »
Is she from Seattle?
Nope - Rumby's talking about Patricia McLoughlin, an older lady from England who would travel stateside and catch several DT shows at a time. She also is a huge fan of Joe Satriani, and before her discovering DT, Queen was number one in her book. No clue how she's doing these days as I haven't heard from her in ages, but she was a real sweetheart, and a real joy to visit with before and after shows.

To answer the OP, off the top of my head, I personally know of 2 that are huge DT fans (one of which is Patricia, above). The missus is OK with listening to their music and has caught a couple shows with me, but by no means would I classify her as a DT fan.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2019, 05:31:22 PM »
Is she from Seattle?
Nope - Rumby's talking about Patricia McLoughlin, an older lady from England who would travel stateside and catch several DT shows at a time. She also is a huge fan of Joe Satriani, and before her discovering DT, Queen was number one in her book. No clue how she's doing these days as I haven't heard from her in ages, but she was a real sweetheart, and a real joy to visit with before and after shows.

To answer the OP, off the top of my head, I personally know of 2 that are huge DT fans (one of which is Patricia, above). The missus is OK with listening to their music and has caught a couple shows with me, but by no means would I classify her as a DT fan.

Guess that makes two then (Voted one...wife)

Patricia stopped by and had lunch with us a few times years ago as part of her itinerary when she flew over to see Joe Satriani a few times. Forgot about that until just now. It's been at least 5 years since I've heard from her. She was a really nice person. Other than Queen, Satriani and Dream Theater, she was also a Walter Trout fan. Oddly enough, I don't think we ever met at a Dream Theater show. Can't remember how we met. Images and Words fanzine maybe? Fantastic person.

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2019, 05:55:18 PM »
I've never met a woman that likes DT... unfortunately, my wife doesn't like them at all  :sadpanda:

Offline gborland

« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2019, 05:55:57 PM »
I remember Patricia from the very early days on the Ytsejam mailing list. I have not yet been lucky enough to meet her in person.
Graham Borland

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2019, 06:08:03 PM »
I've known a few, including one who was a music journalist, who interviewed Jordan Rudess in 2014.

I got my mom and my girlfriend into them too. But you know, only to the extent where they enjoy listening to them, not the extent where they can talk about what songs are on which album, or specific parts or anything.

The only other DT fans that I've had as friends, I met either at a DT concert, or on Facebook, as a result of making DT related posts.

But still, I'd call that 3+.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline BeardedGentlemanHistorian

« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2019, 07:50:41 PM »
Just one. My oldest daughter, Katie. Her favorite album is ADTOE. I've never been able to turn my wife into a fan.

Offline BeardedGentlemanHistorian

« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2019, 08:02:57 PM »
My wife likes about 10 songs of theirs (the softer ones). I've played the Budokan version of Hollow Years for some female friends and they all loved it.

Oddly enough, the one song that every woman (including my 67 year old mother) seems to love is I Walk Beside You. I've never got a bad reaction to that from women when I've given it them to listen.

Here's my list for introducing women to DT. I'm sure most of you will see the pattern.

1. Wait For Sleep
2. The Silent Man
3. Hollow Years
4. Anna Lee
5. Take Away My Pain
6. Through Her Eyes
7. The Spirit Carries On
8. Vacant
9. Far From Heaven
10. Beneath The Surface

Offline 1neeto

« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2019, 01:58:50 AM »

You need to add Another Day to that list.

Here's my list for introducing women to DT. I'm sure most of you will see the pattern.

1. Wait For Sleep
2. The Silent Man
3. Hollow Years
4. Anna Lee
5. Take Away My Pain
6. Through Her Eyes
7. The Spirit Carries On
8. Vacant
9. Far From Heaven
10. Beneath The Surface

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2019, 04:39:04 AM »
I've met female DT fans at shows (including one very cute Scottish lass at Leeds a few years back who was separated from her boyfriend - as in couldn't find him in the venue, rather than broken up, unfortunately), but IRL? None. That said, I know no male DT fans IRL either.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2019, 05:08:06 AM »
I just do not know any DT fans outside of the digital world, let alone female ones.

Sure, I managed to turn my step-daughter on them and even brought her and my wife to a TA show which they sincerely enjoyed. It may be my greatest esistential success, but I can't really call my women "DT fans".

Offline DT1138

« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2019, 07:39:03 PM »
I met one lady at the Chicago show in 2017 who was there with her husband while we were waiting in line. 

I asked her "Are you here because of your husband?". 
She said "No, I love Dream Theater and James is my favorite singer of all time".

I turned to her husband and said "You are one lucky guy, dude".

By comparison, none of my friends or family (male or female) like DT at all.  My best female friend hates JLB with passion.

Regardless...there seemed to be a lot of ladies cheering at that same show that night.  I wasn't sure if they were really that into it or not.  Kind of like the woman right in front of me who was clearly bored out of her mind (going on Facebook on her phone, no less) and ultimately wound up hanging out in the lobby while her boyfriend made a complete ass out of himself airguitarring and high fiving anyone within reach.