Author Topic: About to Crash (reprise) + Losing Time / Grand Finale is the perfect DT summary  (Read 984 times)

Offline JLa

Think about it. In 10 minutes you get
- fast, upbeat rock
- soaring vocals
- a flashy instrumental section
- mellow, melancholic section
- over the top, epic ending

What's not to like? I dare to say, if you don't find anything you like during these 10 minutes, DT is not the band for you.

Offline spw5150

I agree,  powerful stuff   :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Yep, the super long fade-out notwithstanding, that is great stuff.  I prefer Disc 1 from Six Degrees, but I probably listen to these two songs more than any others from the album.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
I've really come to appreciate About To Crash (Reprise) recently.  Good tune.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
uhm.....but....ya gotta start with 'Solitary Shell'......and then it's the best 16 minutes of their catalogue.  Wait, include 'Goodnight Kiss' as well.  The whole mellow beginning, and then the killer instrumental.  So, the 20 best consecutive minutes of their catalogue

My first DT album, purchasing it a couple of days after my first DT concert.   Superb!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 08:07:17 PM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline pg1067

I've always loved ATCR.  The intro is very reminiscent of Styx, which was my favorite band when I first started getting into popular/rock music in the early 80s.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
The entire album and title song is awesome with a perfect ending.  The final 10 mins is the icing on the cake.  :tup :hefdaddy
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
Before DoT, Six Degrees was, for me, Dream Theater's last great record. I just re-listened to it in its entirety for the first time in 15 years. Such a great work. And yes, the last two songs are just absolutely perfect.

Would be a nice trip if they ended set one of the coming tour with them.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline RAIN

Sure, I agree.  But in the end, the whole 42 minutes is just blissfully amazing.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

Yeah, these two are a pretty fantastic closer to what I would consider my favorite DT record, and I feel they don't get enough credit honestly.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
One of the best albums they've ever recorded.