18 (31.6%)
Either one will do!
9 (15.8%)
I don't like either
2 (3.5%)
n/a - never tried
10 (17.5%)

Total Members Voted: 57

Author Topic: Costco food court  (Read 16799 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Costco food court
« Reply #105 on: April 08, 2019, 12:40:14 PM »
I'm trying to find it, but I can't, they used to have those Angus burgers and I could have sworn a large meal with that burger was near the $12 mark.  They stopped selling it because it was too expensive.  I know that is not a good example, but it kind of showed that you could spend that much on an individual meal there.  But yea, I think Stadler even said the 12 was a  meal with an add on sandwich and also that's what I considered when I said a Big Mac meal with a McChicken.  (i think that comes out less than 12 but it's pretty close and could be even closer in a different market).

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #106 on: April 08, 2019, 12:48:50 PM »
I'm gonna be in Austin in a few weeks, so I'm gonna have to check out Whataburger.  Those I know who've had it rank it significantly higher than I-n-O.
It's really not the be all/end all. It's a good fast food burger and that's all. It's just better than the normal chains. It absolutely pummels InO, though. Since InO is godawful that's not saying anything, though.

In Austin, take thirty minutes to drive to Taylor an/or Lockhart and eat some exceptional BBQ. Good food and an opportunity to see very old, Podunk parts of Texas.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #107 on: April 08, 2019, 12:52:32 PM »
In Austin, take thirty minutes to drive to Taylor an/or Lockhart and eat some exceptional BBQ. Good food and an opportunity to see very old, Podunk parts of Texas.

Better than Kreuz?

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #108 on: April 08, 2019, 01:04:04 PM »

Better than Kreuz?
Kreuz is in Lockhart.  :lol

The truth is that I haven't tried Kreuz (nor Smitty's). There are three legendary BBQ places in Lockhart. Those two plus Black's. Kreuz and Smitty's are famous in large part due to a nasty family rivalry. At that point they kind of became the Pat's and Geno's of hill country BBQ, and people like Guy Fieri started harping on them. I try to avoid places like that, just as I would Pat's and Gino's.  When I made a trip to Lockhart I decided to skip them both and go to Black's, and that's my habit ever since. That said, I'm sure both are still every bit as good as advertised. They've been doing it too long not to be.  (The Black family have run their place since 1932, and the Smitty/Kreuz crew probably came in just behind them.)

Another truth is that everybody has bad days. This is especially true with BBQ. I'm always hesitant to recommend out of the way places for just that reason. In all likelihood any of them are going to serve up amazing meat. Any given day one of them might simply be average. That makes it real hard to pick between them unless you eat at all of them multiple times. Since they're 40 minutes outside of Austin that's hard to pull off.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #109 on: April 08, 2019, 01:14:36 PM »
 :lol when I read that I thought Lockhart and Taylor were BBQ joints, not towns.  But I can't remember who recommended Kreuz's to me when I was down there and I am pretty sure we had a conversation here or in person about it too, but I have a coworker who lives in Austin and maybe I am mixing up convos.  I just know I went there cause someone recommended going to one of those two family feud spots.  And it was delish, but now I am looking back on my IG post about it and I feel like I didn't even get anything worthy  :lol what was I thinking? https://www.instagram.com/p/BIxXAErgzVs/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #110 on: April 08, 2019, 02:02:35 PM »
:lol when I read that I thought Lockhart and Taylor were BBQ joints, not towns.  But I can't remember who recommended Kreuz's to me when I was down there and I am pretty sure we had a conversation here or in person about it too, but I have a coworker who lives in Austin and maybe I am mixing up convos.  I just know I went there cause someone recommended going to one of those two family feud spots.  And it was delish, but now I am looking back on my IG post about it and I feel like I didn't even get anything worthy  :lol what was I thinking? https://www.instagram.com/p/BIxXAErgzVs/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link
How was the ham? Don't think I've ever gotten ham at a BBQ joint before. I'm positive the sausage was fantastic, though. That was Germany's greatest contribution to Texas. It almost makes up for fucking Tejano music. Almost.

And yeah, brisket is king down here, with beef ribs a close second. The problem is that at ~$20lb a single rib can run you $35. The one I got from Louie Mueller's was fantastic, but it's definitely a splurge. On the bright side they really are colossal. I usually go with a couple of slices of brisket, a link, a slice of turkey, and maybe a pork rib or two. Sides are for pussies.  :lol
E.F. Benson

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #111 on: April 08, 2019, 02:08:08 PM »
If I was at a bbq joint that served ham, I'm not even sure it would even occur to me to order it.  I'd be more inclined to go with somethink akin to what Barto described.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #112 on: April 08, 2019, 02:13:31 PM »
It was the special that day so I figured Id try it.  I'm actually not a huge brisket fan overall (like I'm not one to judge what brisket is good when in general, Id rather have chicken).  So I typically go after sausage, ribs, or chicken at BBQ joints.  And ribs, like you say, can run a lot of money so when I'm there on my own I went for the cheaper options and special for my curiosity.  It was pretty good if I recall, but it wasn't mind blowing, the sausage was better.  Still not sure why I didn't get more meats to just try, that plate looks kind of weak in retrospect. 

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #113 on: April 08, 2019, 02:40:32 PM »
It was the special that day so I figured Id try it.  I'm actually not a huge brisket fan overall (like I'm not one to judge what brisket is good when in general, Id rather have chicken).  So I typically go after sausage, ribs, or chicken at BBQ joints.  And ribs, like you say, can run a lot of money so when I'm there on my own I went for the cheaper options and special for my curiosity.  It was pretty good if I recall, but it wasn't mind blowing, the sausage was better.  Still not sure why I didn't get more meats to just try, that plate looks kind of weak in retrospect.
See, this is a healthy plate.  :lol

(It's probably also upwards of $80)
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #114 on: April 08, 2019, 02:51:44 PM »
Yup, that looks solid and someone posted a pic of another awesome full plate of food from a BBQ joint in the food thread.  My last BBQ trip though was much better than my visit to Kreuz though, I swear  :lol  (Rudy's in Colorado Springs)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #115 on: April 08, 2019, 02:53:14 PM »
1) What is in that little cup at the top?
2) Is that yellow thing a slice of cheese? Never seen that before on a BBQ plate.
3) Is it assumed that plate is to be shared, due to the 2 forks and knives?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #116 on: April 08, 2019, 02:59:08 PM »
I see it as one set for meat and one for sides but all for me  :lol

upon further inspections, I'm not sure what is at the top, mac and cheese was my initial thought and I'm still going with it but the left side of it makes me question it. I've also never seen a slice of cheese served with this food either, but the cheese looks like it could be a slice of cheddar or american, and if cheddar then thats better  :yarr

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #117 on: April 08, 2019, 03:22:28 PM »
The yellow stuff is going to be cobbler, most likely peach.

That is cheese of undetermined nature. For reasons unknown white bread and a slice of cheese is a popular accompaniment down there. Normally American, but that looks like it could be cheddar.

I would hope that's a meal for two. You're looking at 3lbs of meat there. And since this came from Texas Monthly (the holy bible of Texas BBW) I'm guessing it's what their critic ordered up to sample everything. Critics always take along a friend.

Poor form. Meat is finger food.  :lol
E.F. Benson

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #118 on: April 08, 2019, 03:29:09 PM »
That slice of cheese looks as thick as the bread.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #119 on: April 08, 2019, 03:32:03 PM »
I'm positive the sausage was fantastic, though. That was Germany's greatest contribution to Texas.

How long is that list? :lol
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline pg1067

« Reply #120 on: April 08, 2019, 03:34:38 PM »
I'm gonna be in Austin in a few weeks, so I'm gonna have to check out Whataburger.  Those I know who've had it rank it significantly higher than I-n-O.
It's really not the be all/end all. It's a good fast food burger and that's all. It's just better than the normal chains. It absolutely pummels InO, though. Since InO is godawful that's not saying anything, though.

I won't have a car and will be downtown (near Congress Av. by the river), so I'm kinda limited to places I can walk to or that I'm willing to Uber/Lyft to.  I had my eye on Cooper's at Congress and 3rd, but I'm happy to have suggestions.

I would hope that's a meal for two. You're looking at 3lbs of meat there. And since this came from Texas Monthly (the holy bible of Texas BBW) I'm guessing it's what their critic ordered up to sample everything. Critics always take along a friend.

I'm guessing if I were to google that, I'd get results with a very different kind of meat!   :lol :lol :lol
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #121 on: April 08, 2019, 03:39:19 PM »
The yellow stuff is going to be cobbler, most likely peach.

Knowing that makes it look significantly more appetizing.

That is cheese of undetermined nature. For reasons unknown white bread and a slice of cheese is a popular accompaniment down there. Normally American, but that looks like it could be cheddar.

American would be unacceptable, especially given the price.  I mean, I get that regional "down-home" cuisine sometimes includes bizarre things, like pimento cheese, or American "cheese."  But a slice of American "cheese" on a plate is just...strange.  But then again, so is including a couple of slices of white bread, so...  :dunno:

Really?  It doesn't look all THAT big.

I get that there are few things like good bbq.  But if you were not exaggerating on the price tag, that's ridiculous. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #122 on: April 08, 2019, 03:40:12 PM »
Poor form. Meat is finger food.  :lol

I'm not big on eating a sausage with my hands  :lol but the ribs for sure

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #123 on: April 08, 2019, 03:41:21 PM »
I'm positive the sausage was fantastic, though. That was Germany's greatest contribution to Texas.

How long is that list? :lol
BBQ, Tejano, kolaches, and Bock beer. That's about all I can come up (and the Kolaches are technically Czechoslovakian).
E.F. Benson

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #124 on: April 08, 2019, 03:44:34 PM »

I won't have a car and will be downtown (near Congress Av. by the river), so I'm kinda limited to places I can walk to or that I'm willing to Uber/Lyft to.  I had my eye on Cooper's at Congress and 3rd, but I'm happy to have suggestions.
Terry Black's isn't too far from that. He's a brother from the Black family and definitely knows his shit. I ate there a month or two ago and found it pretty good, but not the best I've had. I was a bit disappointed in the sausage (honestly, cheese has no place in sausage). The brisket was good, and the turkey was excellent. Cool, eclectic neighborhood, if weird Austin is your thing. Expect a line.
E.F. Benson

Offline pg1067

« Reply #125 on: April 08, 2019, 03:48:19 PM »

Terry Black's isn't too far from that. He's a brother from the Black family and definitely knows his shit. I ate there a month or two ago and found it pretty good, but not the best I've had. I was a bit disappointed in the sausage (honestly, cheese has no place in sausage). The brisket was good, and the turkey was excellent. Cool, eclectic neighborhood, if weird Austin is your thing. Expect a line.

:tup :tup
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #126 on: April 08, 2019, 03:50:41 PM »

American would be unacceptable, especially given the price.  I mean, I get that regional "down-home" cuisine sometimes includes bizarre things, like pimento cheese, or American "cheese."  But a slice of American "cheese" on a plate is just...strange.  But then again, so is including a couple of slices of white bread, so...  :dunno:
I think it's tradition. These families were serving up the same food in the early 1900s, and I suspect being able to make a sandwich out of it if you desired was a luxury. I always pass on it, myself, but it's always offered.

Really?  It doesn't look all THAT big.
The links are easily a 1/4 lb each. That looks about like a half pound of brisket. That rib is easily 1 1/2. I'm only guessing on the pork ribs, but I'd guess close to a half pound.

I get that there are few things like good bbq.  But if you were not exaggerating on the price tag, that's ridiculous.
Meats at Louis Meuller's run 18-20/lb. Sixty bucks worth of meat plus 3 sides and presumably a couple of beers each to wash it down. I'm sticking with $80. Like I said, that's why the beef ribs are a luxury I don't generally go for. That thing is nearly half the cost.
E.F. Benson

Offline pg1067

« Reply #127 on: April 08, 2019, 03:56:00 PM »
The links are easily a 1/4 lb each. That looks about like a half pound of brisket. That rib is easily 1 1/2. I'm only guessing on the pork ribs, but I'd guess close to a half pound.

And I'm guessing half of what you're paying for is bone, eh?

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #128 on: April 08, 2019, 04:00:39 PM »

And I'm guessing half of what you're paying for is bone, eh?
You're certainly getting more meat than bone, but yeah, you're paying for the bone.

And if you do hit up Terry Black's, I'm serious about the line. I was there close to 1600 and still had nearly a half hour wait. Don't think you can do it on a lunch hour, and by dinner they might be running out of stuff.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #129 on: April 09, 2019, 08:07:58 AM »
McDonalds had those Angus burgers for a bit, would cost around $12 for a large meal if I recall.  I usually get a medium #1 and if I am hungry enough, add a McChicken, comes to around 10 bucks.  I don't think it's that crazy to spend $12 at McDonalds depending on where you are.  Regardless, Costco is much cheaper.

I suppose it depends on what you're getting.  Stadler mentioned a #2 meal with either a cheeseburger or a Filet-o-Fish.  I'm not familiar with any of the combos by number, but if all you're getting for $12 is a McDonald's cheeseburger, fries and a drink, you're paying way too much.

I had this discussion with a friend in relation to In-n-Out.  I said I much prefer Five Guys, and he responded that Five Guys is too expensive, and my retort was that I'd rather spend $15 and get what I get at Five Guys than spend $8-9 and get an overcooked burger (both the meat and the bun) and fries that are edible for no more than 5 minutes after they hand them to you.  That's even more true with McDonald's.

A bacon-cheese Whataburger meal is $6.64 and is vastly superior to any burger from McDs.

First, not talking quality at all.  I'm with all of you that Whataburger and Five Guys far eclipse McDonald's (though I don't consider McDonald's "shit" like many do; it's not bad when it's hot).  I don't get the hoopla over In-And-Out, but to each his own.  I have often gone to Wendy's for a single with cheese, then cruised through Mickey D's for fries.

Which brings me to second: PG is right.   What up with the "durability" of McDonald's fries.  They are delicious, but when you get them, the clock is ticking.  The closest McDonald's is about 15 minutes away, and I dislike the fries already by the time I get home.  They are NOT good when cold.

Third, I went to see if I had any receipts lying around, but I don't eat there much so I don't (I save all my travel receipts, but no Mickey D's).    So I went on the app.   For my local Mickey D's, if I add a Quarter Pounder with Cheese meal with a med. coke - that's a number 2 meal with NO upgrades - it's $9.39 BEFORE tax.   To add a cheeseburger, just the sandwich, it's $1.29; to add a Filet-O-Fish, just the sandwich, it's $5.29.    So you're looking at $10.88, plus $0.69 tax, or $11.57, or $14.68, plus $0.93, or $15.61.    So I said "$12", when actually it is between $11.57 or $15.61 for the meals I typically get.  On rare occasions I will sub out a QP for a Big Mac.   At my local store, a Quarter Pounder with Cheese is $5.69, a Big Mac is $5.49, and the meal is $9.09 before tax.   So we're looking at a quarter ($0.25) difference on each end of the range. 

I feel okay about my statement of "$12 for a meal at McDonald's".  Whether that's $12 well spent or not is another discussion (I don't think it is, frankly; I'd rather go and get a cheeseburger grinder or an Italian hoagie from my local pizza joint).   

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #130 on: April 09, 2019, 08:16:24 AM »
I really never understood the love of 5 Guys TBH. The burgers are so so, and I the fries always get gross because they put so many of them into that bag.   

I think Wayback (Jake's Wayback in some places) is far superior.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #131 on: April 09, 2019, 08:35:02 AM »
Never heard of wayback, but I'e always felt you got to eat those Five Guys fries quick, they get too potatoey and mushy over time, but I do enjoy them a lot fresh, with ketchup.  It's one of the few fries that I really want to put ketchup on.

Stadler, I am with you, I think it depends on location.  There's definitely meals that cost over 10 bucks and while I don't have a receipt to prove it, Ive definitely experienced it here in NJ before.  I do have a receipt from my trip to Amsterdam where I hit up a Mcdonalds since I just did this expense report recently.  8 Euro for a medium big mac meal including tax.  Thats $9 and a medium, a large is likey close to $10.  I did add a mchicken to that meal which was 3.4 euro but that sandwich wasn't exactly the same as the US version which is much cheaper.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #132 on: April 09, 2019, 08:35:11 AM »
See, this is a healthy plate.  :lol

Look at that crust.   My mouth is watering.   

(I want to try Black's; I've heard a lot - relatively speaking - about it up here and would like to try it.)

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #133 on: April 09, 2019, 08:44:55 AM »
The thing I hate most about working 7 days a week now is no more long smokes on the weekend. Best I can do is a 5-6 hour rib session on a Friday night, and even then I'm not eating those babies until 10:30 or so. I used to smoke brisket all the time, and had some take as long as 14 hours to finish up.   

I love building up that bark on the outside. I'd go out there every 45-60 minutes with a spray bottle filled with apple cider vinegar, apple juice, melted butter, and a bit of brown sugar and spray the brisket with it. It'd give all that smoke and debris something to stick to, and you'd get a really nice layer of deliciousness on the outside.

Damn. Now I'm hard in my cubicle.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #134 on: April 09, 2019, 09:03:35 AM »
My dad's coming with me to the DT show tonight and he just texted me "Hey. Want to grab dinner before the concert? Costco?"  :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #135 on: April 09, 2019, 09:09:20 AM »
Dad knows what's up.  :lol  :tup

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #136 on: April 09, 2019, 09:11:26 AM »
 :lol good call Dad

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #137 on: April 09, 2019, 10:08:51 AM »
The thing I hate most about working 7 days a week now is no more long smokes on the weekend. Best I can do is a 5-6 hour rib session on a Friday night, and even then I'm not eating those babies until 10:30 or so. I used to smoke brisket all the time, and had some take as long as 14 hours to finish up.   

I love building up that bark on the outside. I'd go out there every 45-60 minutes with a spray bottle filled with apple cider vinegar, apple juice, melted butter, and a bit of brown sugar and spray the brisket with it. It'd give all that smoke and debris something to stick to, and you'd get a really nice layer of deliciousness on the outside.

You tried wrapping it and/or staging it? Down here the so-called Texas crutch is the new norm. Smoke it until you've developed the bark you want, at which point it's probably hitting the stall, and then wrap it tight in foil or butcher paper to blow right on through the last few hours. Once it's done you can unwrap it and throw it back on the heat to crisp up your bark real good and give it a final whiff of smoke. This will shave several hours off of your cook time.

Something else you see some good pitmasters do is to spread it out over a couple of days. Kent Black smokes his briskets up until the bark/stall point and then throws them in cooler for a day or two. Then it's back onto the smoker for the final four to five hours right before it's served. I've seen a few people do it this way, and Kent's is some of the finest brisket I've ever eaten.

There are definitely options for people who can't spend 14 hours smoking a brisket. Down here a guy named Aaron Frankly forced everybody to up their game in a big way. Because of him you've got a whole state full of people looking for new ideas in smoking. YT is now chock full of people demonstrating their techniques now.
E.F. Benson

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #138 on: April 09, 2019, 10:11:07 AM »
Hot take here.... McD's fries are awful.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #139 on: April 09, 2019, 10:29:43 AM »

You tried wrapping it and/or staging it? Down here the so-called Texas crutch is the new norm. Smoke it until you've developed the bark you want, at which point it's probably hitting the stall, and then wrap it tight in foil or butcher paper to blow right on through the last few hours. Once it's done you can unwrap it and throw it back on the heat to crisp up your bark real good and give it a final whiff of smoke. This will shave several hours off of your cook time.

That's what I do for the most part. I do it with ribs and pork butt too. I wrap it in pink butcher paper, and once it hits temp, I wrap that up in a couple of beach towels and then stuff it in a cooler for 2 hours or so.