18 (31.6%)
Either one will do!
9 (15.8%)
I don't like either
2 (3.5%)
n/a - never tried
10 (17.5%)

Total Members Voted: 57

Author Topic: Costco food court  (Read 16780 times)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Costco food court
« Reply #70 on: March 09, 2019, 10:37:38 AM »
Some food courts are inside the building, in which case you have to flash your card to get through the door. Others are outside, and thus do not.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #71 on: March 09, 2019, 03:51:26 PM »
Do you need to be a member to eat at their food court?

From my experience you do not need to be, but I've always been or gone with someone who is.  All of the costcos I have been to had the same set up where the food in inside but its between the exit and the registers, so you basically walk in the exit if you are just going for food and they do not check ID at all in this process.  Walking in the exit sounds odd, but it's really not as that is the way to get to customer service, it is common to do this here. 

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
« Reply #72 on: March 09, 2019, 05:45:54 PM »
I'll leave this here

https://youtu.be/nFMFlEtaKbM

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #73 on: March 09, 2019, 11:29:19 PM »
Huh, never thought of walking throught he exit. But I've never gone to Costco for the sole purpose of hitting the food court (and why are we calling it that? A food court is several vendors set up in a central location like a mall, not a single vendor selling a handful of items).
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: March 10, 2019, 07:32:39 AM »
I always go hot dog, their pizza isn’t that great.

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #75 on: March 10, 2019, 08:14:24 AM »
You don't need to be a member to go to the food court. Or at least they never ask. I walk through the exit to the food court a couple times a month and I've never been stopped.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #76 on: March 10, 2019, 06:04:48 PM »
Thanks for the answers. I haven't eaten anything from Sam's Club in over 10 years, and only been to Costco a few times to look around. I remember really liking Sam's Club's pizza and taquitoes, but again, it's been a decade, and I was with my step dad, so no membership issues.

One time I walked into Sam's Club to look around, and the greeter really didn't want me to enter because I didn't have a membership. So weird. What if I was going to sign up for one? Must have been new.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #77 on: March 10, 2019, 06:12:31 PM »
Thanks for the answers. I haven't eaten anything from Sam's Club in over 10 years, and only been to Costco a few times to look around. I remember really liking Sam's Club's pizza and taquitoes, but again, it's been a decade, and I was with my step dad, so no membership issues.

One time I walked into Sam's Club to look around, and the greeter really didn't want me to enter because I didn't have a membership. So weird. What if I was going to sign up for one? Must have been new.
I've wandered into Sams a couple of times to look around and never been carded. I assumed they verified membership at checkout. And it'd be stupid to do otherwise. Letting people browse is free advertisement. "Ooh, that's a good price for twelve pounds of nutmeg. I should buy a membership."
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: March 10, 2019, 07:09:49 PM »
On the topic of Costco:

Costco runs an extremely efficient operation, which is necessary for its high-volume, low-margin business model. But one of the keys to Costco's success, and its profitability, is that the company spends next to nothing on advertising. Other than sending out direct mail to prospective members, and sending coupons to existing members, Costco does no traditional marketing at all.

Costco can get away with this for one simple reason: Its memberships sell themselves. The value proposition is obvious after one trip to a Costco warehouse, and the customer service is generally superior to that of other large retailers. Costco has had no problem growing its membership, and with renewal rates above 90% in the United States, it's had no problem retaining members, either.

How much does Costco save by shunning traditional advertising? Wal-Mart, which has always been a stingy advertiser, spends about 0.5% of its revenue on marketing each year. If Costco spent that same percentage of its revenue on advertising, its operating profit would be about 17.5% less. If Costco spent the same amount on advertising as Target does, about 2.2% of revenue, the company's operating profit would be slashed by 75%.

Offline a51502112

• Canada!
« Reply #79 on: March 11, 2019, 07:07:20 AM »
Here in Canada, Costco serves Poutine. I always choose that. It's my patriotic duty.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #80 on: March 11, 2019, 07:50:50 AM »
Don't forget the chicken bake! :P

No don't eat that!

Anyway...
the pizza is pretty bad

The hot dog and soda is the no brainer option at $1.50.

Its all beef :omg:
Here in Canada, Costco serves Poutine. I always choose that. It's my patriotic duty.
Probably that nasty canned super salty poutine sauce on top. Gross.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: March 11, 2019, 07:52:33 AM »
On the topic of Costco:

Costco runs an extremely efficient operation, which is necessary for its high-volume, low-margin business model. But one of the keys to Costco's success, and its profitability, is that the company spends next to nothing on advertising. Other than sending out direct mail to prospective members, and sending coupons to existing members, Costco does no traditional marketing at all.

Costco can get away with this for one simple reason: Its memberships sell themselves. The value proposition is obvious after one trip to a Costco warehouse, and the customer service is generally superior to that of other large retailers. Costco has had no problem growing its membership, and with renewal rates above 90% in the United States, it's had no problem retaining members, either.

How much does Costco save by shunning traditional advertising? Wal-Mart, which has always been a stingy advertiser, spends about 0.5% of its revenue on marketing each year. If Costco spent that same percentage of its revenue on advertising, its operating profit would be about 17.5% less. If Costco spent the same amount on advertising as Target does, about 2.2% of revenue, the company's operating profit would be slashed by 75%.

That's pretty interesting.  I was surprised to see a groupon for Costco last year, it was the same price for the base membership but you got a $20 costco gift card.  My gf has a member ship so I don't really need my own so I didn't buy it but I definitely thought about it.  That was a good deal and surprising too because you don't really see Costco advertised on anything.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #82 on: March 13, 2019, 08:29:41 PM »
At Costco tonight, spent a good minute or two debating between the hot dog and pizza (passed on chicken bake). Almost went pizza but wife was getting hot dog and I was afraid that would give me buyer's remorse. Liked the new order kiosk - anything to minimize my interaction with other people gets a star in my book.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #83 on: March 20, 2019, 01:02:22 PM »
Happy Costco member since 2009 here, believe it or not I was eating at the Costco food court when I first saw this thread.
Myself and the family visit Costco on a bi-weekly basis, I usually eat at their food court if I know I won't be eating again for 6 or 7 hours cause I get both the pizza and the hot dog. For a full grown individual to count this as a meal I'd say get both, slice of pizza and a hot dog, the hot dog comes with a drink. The cheese pizza is their best, it's just delicious.
Also Costco is my planned hideout when the zombie apocalypse comes, I think I can survive for at least 2 years there with around 20 people.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #84 on: March 20, 2019, 01:07:13 PM »
Myself and the family visit Costco on a bi-weekly basis...

Dang how many people you shopping for? :)

Costco would be a great place to hunker down for a couple years when the Zombies attack. Would the card checkers at the door keep them out if they weren't members? 

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: March 20, 2019, 01:32:39 PM »

You know I used to think that too, cause it's just 4 of us and one time I asked my wife about it and didn't get a straight answer heh
But we do get most of our groceries there, all our meat for sure. The only other store we go to is HEB, also on bi-weekly basis.
There's still holes in this stories, I know..  :\

Costco would be a great place to hunker down for a couple years when the Zombies attack. Would the card checkers at the door keep them out if they weren't members?

It's their only natural inclination hehe
My little kid loves it when they draw a smiley face on the receipt. One time they didn't and we got home my daughter wanted us to drive back to get a smiley face on our receipt  :lol
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: March 20, 2019, 01:37:17 PM »

That's assuming they make it through the parking lot with the flying carts

Offline pg1067

« Reply #87 on: March 20, 2019, 03:38:44 PM »

That's assuming they make it through the parking lot with the flying carts

Someone please make the "CARTNADO!!!"™ meme.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #88 on: March 28, 2019, 11:19:46 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Q0vk_fKDEo

Just found this video of the Robot Arm Pizza Sauce Spreader (or RAPSS*).

*I just made that up, but they should totally call it that. I won't even charge a licensing fee.

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #89 on: March 28, 2019, 11:33:17 AM »
I had Costco pizza for lunch today. It was delicious. :)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #90 on: March 28, 2019, 12:03:10 PM »

So did I actually, $3.72 for a pepperoni slice, a hot dog, and drink.  Can't beat that.  It's not the best quality but it may be the best when you consider cost and quantity. 

Funny though while walking in my coworker started bitching, unprovoked by me, about the carts in the parking lot and complaining about "how important do these people think they are to not put the carts back"  :rollin He's also a big car guy so I think he's coming from the perspective of damaging cars.  I agree with him, but yea, that's another thread...

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #91 on: March 29, 2019, 11:08:54 AM »
Can’t beat that dog with all the fixings plus a drink on the cheap.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #92 on: March 29, 2019, 12:12:27 PM »

So did I actually, $3.72 for a pepperoni slice, a hot dog, and drink.  Can't beat that.  It's not the best quality but it may be the best when you consider cost and quantity. 

Funny though while walking in my coworker started bitching, unprovoked by me, about the carts in the parking lot and complaining about "how important do these people think they are to not put the carts back"  :rollin He's also a big car guy so I think he's coming from the perspective of damaging cars.  I agree with him, but yea, that's another thread...
Contrast that with a typical trip to Mickey D's for lunch - with no coupons - is now about $12.00. 

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #93 on: March 29, 2019, 03:51:46 PM »
I hardly ever go to fast food places, and I haven't been to a McDs in probably 10 years. Is that really true about their prices?

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #94 on: March 29, 2019, 04:22:01 PM »
I hardly ever go to fast food places, and I haven't been to a McDs in probably 10 years. Is that really true about their prices?

I only get breakfast items at McDonald's nowadays.  I know they had a 2 for $4 Sausage Egg McMuffins deal at some point.  Don't know if they still have it now.  I get that with a Mcgriddle for around $3.60.  I'm content with that meal.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #95 on: March 29, 2019, 05:01:58 PM »
I just had mcds for lunch and it was 8 even for a large Big Mac meal. The prices have gone up but are not quite five guys prices.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #96 on: March 29, 2019, 05:11:54 PM »
And definitely not a five guys quality burger, but yea like 8-10 sounds about right for McDonalds meal these days, lunch or dinner, breakfast is a bit cheaper.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #97 on: March 29, 2019, 06:23:22 PM »
Contrast that with a typical trip to Mickey D's for lunch - with no coupons - is now about $12.00.

WTH are you buying and McD's that's costing $12?!
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #98 on: April 08, 2019, 09:19:46 AM »

This was exactly the first thing that came to my mind as well.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #99 on: April 08, 2019, 11:11:21 AM »

That's what it cost here.  Number two meal - with a Coke or an unsweet tea - and either a cheeseburger or a Filet-o-Fish. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #100 on: April 08, 2019, 11:33:33 AM »
McDonalds had those Angus burgers for a bit, would cost around $12 for a large meal if I recall.  I usually get a medium #1 and if I am hungry enough, add a McChicken, comes to around 10 bucks.  I don't think it's that crazy to spend $12 at McDonalds depending on where you are.  Regardless, Costco is much cheaper.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #101 on: April 08, 2019, 12:17:44 PM »
McDonalds had those Angus burgers for a bit, would cost around $12 for a large meal if I recall.  I usually get a medium #1 and if I am hungry enough, add a McChicken, comes to around 10 bucks.  I don't think it's that crazy to spend $12 at McDonalds depending on where you are.  Regardless, Costco is much cheaper.
And you're wrong.   :lol

Include me in the shocked camp re McD's prices. A bacon-cheese Whataburger meal is $6.64 and is vastly superior to any burger from McDs.

Damn shame about Five Guy's prices. I think I was out $16 last (and final) time I was there. That (and maybe even McD's $12) will buy you a quality burger in a sitdown place here.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline pg1067

« Reply #102 on: April 08, 2019, 12:26:45 PM »

I suppose it depends on what you're getting.  Stadler mentioned a #2 meal with either a cheeseburger or a Filet-o-Fish.  I'm not familiar with any of the combos by number, but if all you're getting for $12 is a McDonald's cheeseburger, fries and a drink, you're paying way too much.

I had this discussion with a friend in relation to In-n-Out.  I said I much prefer Five Guys, and he responded that Five Guys is too expensive, and my retort was that I'd rather spend $15 and get what I get at Five Guys than spend $8-9 and get an overcooked burger (both the meat and the bun) and fries that are edible for no more than 5 minutes after they hand them to you.  That's even more true with McDonald's.

A bacon-cheese Whataburger meal is $6.64 and is vastly superior to any burger from McDs.

I'm gonna be in Austin in a few weeks, so I'm gonna have to check out Whataburger.  Those I know who've had it rank it significantly higher than I-n-O.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #103 on: April 08, 2019, 12:27:20 PM »
Wrong about what? I've spent more than 12 bucks before when I've been drunk that's for sure  :lol but if you are comparing quality then I agree with you, if I am spending upwards of $12 on a burger then I'd be better off going somewhere else. I just know that if I spent 12 at mcdonals, its going to be because I got shit on the side of that burger.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #104 on: April 08, 2019, 12:36:53 PM »
On the rare occasions I go to McD's, I usually get out for under $4.  I guess getting a full-on meal plus an additional sandwich could get in the $12 range, but (1) I don't know why you would do that in the first place, (2) of course, if you are getting MORE than a full meal, it's going to cost more than the standard price, and (3) even so, I'm still not sure how you get up to $12, but whatever.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."