18 (31.6%)
Either one will do!
9 (15.8%)
I don't like either
2 (3.5%)
n/a - never tried
10 (17.5%)

Total Members Voted: 57

Author Topic: Costco food court  (Read 16712 times)

Offline pg1067

Re: Costco food court
« Reply #140 on: April 09, 2019, 10:47:58 AM »
McDonalds had those Angus burgers for a bit, would cost around $12 for a large meal if I recall.  I usually get a medium #1 and if I am hungry enough, add a McChicken, comes to around 10 bucks.  I don't think it's that crazy to spend $12 at McDonalds depending on where you are.  Regardless, Costco is much cheaper.

I suppose it depends on what you're getting.  Stadler mentioned a #2 meal with either a cheeseburger or a Filet-o-Fish.  I'm not familiar with any of the combos by number, but if all you're getting for $12 is a McDonald's cheeseburger, fries and a drink, you're paying way too much.

I had this discussion with a friend in relation to In-n-Out.  I said I much prefer Five Guys, and he responded that Five Guys is too expensive, and my retort was that I'd rather spend $15 and get what I get at Five Guys than spend $8-9 and get an overcooked burger (both the meat and the bun) and fries that are edible for no more than 5 minutes after they hand them to you.  That's even more true with McDonald's.

A bacon-cheese Whataburger meal is $6.64 and is vastly superior to any burger from McDs.

I'm gonna be in Austin in a few weeks, so I'm gonna have to check out Whataburger.  Those I know who've had it rank it significantly higher than I-n-O.

First, not talking quality at all.  I'm with all of you that Whataburger and Five Guys far eclipse McDonald's (though I don't consider McDonald's "shit" like many do; it's not bad when it's hot).  I don't get the hoopla over In-And-Out, but to each his own.  I have often gone to Wendy's for a single with cheese, then cruised through Mickey D's for fries.

Which brings me to second: PG is right.   What up with the "durability" of McDonald's fries.  They are delicious, but when you get them, the clock is ticking.  The closest McDonald's is about 15 minutes away, and I dislike the fries already by the time I get home.  They are NOT good when cold.

Third, I went to see if I had any receipts lying around, but I don't eat there much so I don't (I save all my travel receipts, but no Mickey D's).    So I went on the app.   For my local Mickey D's, if I add a Quarter Pounder with Cheese meal with a med. coke - that's a number 2 meal with NO upgrades - it's $9.39 BEFORE tax.   To add a cheeseburger, just the sandwich, it's $1.29; to add a Filet-O-Fish, just the sandwich, it's $5.29.    So you're looking at $10.88, plus $0.69 tax, or $11.57, or $14.68, plus $0.93, or $15.61.    So I said "$12", when actually it is between $11.57 or $15.61 for the meals I typically get.  On rare occasions I will sub out a QP for a Big Mac.   At my local store, a Quarter Pounder with Cheese is $5.69, a Big Mac is $5.49, and the meal is $9.09 before tax.   So we're looking at a quarter ($0.25) difference on each end of the range. 

I feel okay about my statement of "$12 for a meal at McDonald's".  Whether that's $12 well spent or not is another discussion (I don't think it is, frankly; I'd rather go and get a cheeseburger grinder or an Italian hoagie from my local pizza joint).

I missed that you were talking about adding a sandwich to a combo meal.  That's a different story.

I was referring to the In-n-Out fries as not being "durable" (as you aptly said), but yeah, the same applies to McD's fries (although, honestly, I think all fries suffer if you don't consume them right away).  The all-time best fast food fries were the old-school Carl's Jr. fries made from dehydrated potato pellets.

Wendy's is ok, but it used to be great before they changed their meat.  I don't recall when that happened (maybe 10 years ago), but a Wendy's double used to be the best fast food burger out there.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #141 on: April 10, 2019, 09:10:55 AM »
I really never understood the love of 5 Guys TBH. The burgers are so so, and I the fries always get gross because they put so many of them into that bag.   

I think Wayback (Jake's Wayback in some places) is far superior.

I've never been to 5 guys. Tried once, and we stood around for several minutes while 2 employees shot the shit and didn't even acknowledge us.  We has a Wayback here for like 2 years. I ate there maybe half a dozen times. I got their 9x9 or whatever burger once. I felt like I was going to die after... but it was SO freakin good!
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #142 on: April 13, 2019, 07:29:50 AM »
You need to go to five guys Jay, give them another shot.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #143 on: April 15, 2019, 11:23:04 AM »
You need to go to five guys Jay, give them another shot.

I almost did last night... but went to Red Robin instead :lol
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #144 on: April 26, 2019, 09:18:21 PM »
Family went to Costco tonight, and since I had sausage hoagies for dinner last night, I opted for the turkey provolone sandwich for the first time. Quite tasty, and I don't recall it getting much pub in this thread.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #145 on: April 29, 2019, 08:35:56 AM »
For the record, my wife, stepson, and I went to Costco last Monday for a quick dinner...    three hot dogs, drinks, and I got one of those Turkey melt thingies to try (GOOD!) and the whole shooting match was $15 and change.   It's not Capital Grill, but for the dollar, I'm not sure there's a better choice out there. 

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #146 on: April 29, 2019, 10:08:06 AM »
Costco has the best price to taste ratio, no doubt.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #147 on: September 02, 2019, 09:07:27 PM »
On my most recent visit to Costco I noticed they have a hamburger on their menu now. Looks pretty basic, like most of their food. Can't recall the price. Anyone ever have one of these?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #148 on: September 03, 2019, 01:56:48 PM »
On my most recent visit to Costco I noticed they have a hamburger on their menu now. Looks pretty basic, like most of their food. Can't recall the price. Anyone ever have one of these?

I didn't see it on the menu here when I went last week.

Color me intrigued.

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #149 on: September 05, 2019, 09:28:55 AM »
They've had it for awhile.  But it looks basic, and it's pricey (for Costco, anyway).  I don't see the point of NOT just going for the dog-&-a-Coke or the pizza.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #150 on: September 05, 2019, 09:39:58 AM »
I'm heading to Costco on my way home after work. I'll try to remember to check. If they have it, I'll buy one and provide a report.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #151 on: September 05, 2019, 05:55:18 PM »
Update:

I can confirm that the Waterbury CT Costco does NOT carry the cheeseburger. However, I bought a new gaming chair while I was there, and it is comfy as hell. 
« Last Edit: September 06, 2019, 07:17:31 AM by Chino »

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #152 on: September 06, 2019, 12:54:31 AM »
But how does the chair taste?

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #153 on: September 06, 2019, 07:11:46 AM »
Did it come with a soda?

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #154 on: September 21, 2019, 09:53:57 AM »
Costo food is cheap. Beyond that I can't say much. The hot dog is certainly edible and fills you up. Its not a great dog by any means. The pizza is nasty.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline 1upmushroom

« Reply #155 on: September 21, 2019, 09:14:15 PM »
Never tried their hot dogs. Had pizza a few times and don't really remember anything special about it. I guess it was fine for the money.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #156 on: October 24, 2019, 03:02:13 PM »
Update:

I can confirm that the Waterbury CT Costco does NOT carry the cheeseburger. However, I bought a new gaming chair while I was there, and it is comfy as hell.
They don't have a burger in the Milford location either.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #157 on: November 03, 2019, 03:51:54 PM »
This won't be the best analysis and review. I had a full cart, an 8 year old being an annoying 8 year old, and a 2 year old falling asleep on my shoulder, and I was starving. I just had the hamburger at the food court. It was 6 oz of beef in 2 patties, 2 slices of melted cheese, chopped lettuce, and some diced tomato/relish/special sauce maybe? The meat was good, the cheese was melted, the lettuce seemed fresh, good bun. I added a little ketchup and mustard and some diced onions, and thought it was quite tasty. At $4.99 it seems pricey for a Costco food court item, but it filled me up nicely, and I don't eat like a mouse.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #158 on: November 03, 2019, 09:16:37 PM »
a costco double double animal style? sounds good to me

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #159 on: November 03, 2019, 09:24:07 PM »
Had to Google that. Never been to an In and Out. Onions aren't included, you have to add those from the condiment bar.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #160 on: November 04, 2019, 08:49:04 AM »
Hmmm

For $5 it doesn't sound worth it. I think I'd take the pizza or dogs over it still.

With that being said, I am kind of annoyed that I don't at least have the option here :lol

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #161 on: November 16, 2019, 08:39:21 AM »
Waiting for the "Impossible Costco burger" to appear.... :\

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #162 on: November 16, 2019, 04:35:03 PM »

Sarcasm?

Because that idea excites me a little :lol

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #163 on: December 06, 2019, 10:44:18 AM »

Sarcasm?

I have never had one but the idea of a plant burger bleeding like beef is a bit creepy. :natalieportman:

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #164 on: December 06, 2019, 10:52:07 AM »

Sarcasm?

I have never had one but the idea of a plant burger bleeding like beef is a bit creepy. :natalieportman:

We pump full of antibiotics and harvest animals by the millions, hanging them upside down to cut their throats and carve them up with chainsaws, treat them with bleach, and then package them in facilities that are probably looking the other way in terms of safety and handling. A bleeding plant burger doesn't sound all that bad.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #165 on: December 06, 2019, 11:14:39 AM »

Sarcasm?

Fair point

We pump full of antibiotics and harvest animals by the millions, hanging them upside down to cut their throats and carve them up with chainsaws, treat them with bleach, and then package them in facilities that are probably looking the other way in terms of safety and handling. A bleeding plant burger doesn't sound all that bad.
Fair point
« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 12:05:07 PM by Tick »

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #166 on: February 21, 2020, 01:50:57 PM »
Some bad news for those who enjoy the food court without membership

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/costco-stores-soon-require-membership-175513647.html

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #167 on: February 21, 2020, 01:57:34 PM »
Huh. I always assumed you needed one for the court. I thought it was only the Costco Packy that didn't require a membership.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #168 on: February 21, 2020, 02:03:09 PM »
I know out here where I am, some stores have the food court on the exterior, where you can walk up and order without going into the store.  For those, you might not have needed membership to order food.  But most of the stores out here have the food court inside, and since you need to have a membership to get in, you have had to have membership just to get to the food court in the first place.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #169 on: February 21, 2020, 02:06:17 PM »
The costcos Ive been to in NJ are all the same, the food court is inside but behind the registers where customer service is so you just walk in to the left and they don't check you.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #170 on: February 22, 2020, 09:44:02 AM »
The costcos Ive been to in NJ are all the same, the food court is inside but behind the registers where customer service is so you just walk in to the left and they don't check you.
That's how it is at mine as well. My wife has a membership that we share with my mom, so I'm not technically a member. I hope they don't start checking cards because I love swinging by for a cheap lunch when I feel the need to get out of the office.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #171 on: February 24, 2020, 07:48:30 AM »
Sorry to be a dick (sort of) but I'm not upset by this.  It's not a restaurant, in the sense that there is limited seating and limited access, and the prices are undoubtedly subsidized by members and their annual dues.   I don't see why it's a big deal - IF you want to eat there with any regularity - to help chip in on the cleanup, etc. etc.   I know no one here is really complaining, but that's how I feel. 

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #172 on: February 24, 2020, 07:50:54 AM »
I've got no issue with it.  I always thought that made sense but didn't really question it since it benefitted me a handful of times.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #173 on: October 27, 2020, 03:47:17 PM »
Bumping, not really cause of the foodcourt but in praise of the kirkland booze  :yarr There's a costco near work and near my house, neither sell Kirkland booze but if I drive about 25 minutes away from home, there's one.  So I signed up for my membership again after about 3 years of not having one through Groupon for $60 and it came with a $40 gift card.  Made my way over to the booze Costco and just loaded up a cart with kirkland booze for such a significant amount of savings.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #174 on: October 27, 2020, 04:22:15 PM »
God I wish Costco could sell booze in Ontario.  :sadpanda:  >:(
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion