Author Topic: Out Of Reach - Appreciation & Discussion Thread  (Read 5359 times)

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
Re: Out Of Reach - Appreciation & Discussion Thread
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2019, 11:11:16 AM »
One thing I appreciate about this song is the different structure, guitar solo before the 2nd verse and the chorus is last.

The guitar solo coming in before the 2nd verse definitely immediately jumps out at you. It kind of reminded me of Still Loving You by Scorpions, in that respect. The part before the solo, too, feels more like a pre-chorus at best, but more like a part of the verse. I wouldn't call that a chorus, so having that solo be in between the two verses, instead of a chorus, as one would expect, was a really cool choice on their part.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2019, 12:57:59 PM »
One thing I appreciate about this song is the different structure, guitar solo before the 2nd verse and the chorus is last.

The guitar solo coming in before the 2nd verse definitely immediately jumps out at you.

It's cool because when you first hear it, you assume it's just a short bridge to the next verse but instead it goes on for quite a while, always melodic and nice.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2019, 04:20:34 PM »

The guitar solo coming in before the 2nd verse definitely immediately jumps out at you.

It's cool because when you first hear it, you assume it's just a short bridge to the next verse but instead it goes on for quite a while, always melodic and nice.

Yeah, and after multiple listens I still sometimes think it's the bridge and then I'm pleasantly surprised.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2019, 03:19:53 PM »
I'm not saying this is the best song on the album, but it's definitely one that I keep coming back to, and the one that will pop into my head throughout my day.

I wish they were playing it on the tour.  But hopefully they will get to it at some point.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2019, 04:21:01 PM »
OOR is a top 3 song on the album for me right now.  Super duper power ballad!  :hefdaddy
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Trav86

« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2019, 04:58:56 PM »
I'm not saying this is the best song on the album, but it's definitely one that I keep coming back to, and the one that will pop into my head throughout my day.

I wish they were playing it on the tour.  But hopefully they will get to it at some point.

Couldn't agree more.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline Drinktheater

« Reply #41 on: October 03, 2023, 09:00:17 AM »
I keep coming back to this song.

To me this is like a counter to Space Dye Vest.

And she listens openly

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #42 on: October 03, 2023, 01:29:13 PM »
I have always loved this song. Speaks to me on a deep level. One of my favorites in the catalog.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline Drinktheater

« Reply #43 on: October 04, 2023, 07:14:46 AM »
I have always loved this song. Speaks to me on a deep level. One of my favorites in the catalog.
As sad as it may be I can relate to the song.

Because I had something similar happened to me years ago. Like how Labrie described the Man in the song is some one who frequents a coffee shop who then got captivated by a girl and little did he know the girl there is really troubled.

And she listens openly

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #44 on: October 12, 2023, 08:25:25 AM »
I have consistently felt that this is one of the best DT ballads (top 3) and time has not changed my view of it. It's a really beautiful song- simple and direct. The lyrics are great too.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #45 on: October 12, 2023, 08:29:12 AM »
I have consistently felt that this is one of the best DT ballads (top 3) and time has not changed my view of it. It's a really beautiful song- simple and direct. The lyrics are great too.
It's my favorite song from that album.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #46 on: October 12, 2023, 08:56:14 AM »
It's my favorite song from that album.

I can get behind this.

One of the things that really sets ADTOE apart from the rest of the Mangini-era albums, for me, are the ballads.

Setting aside The Astonishing (bc I frankly don't consider it a traditional DT album), DT12, DOT, and AVFTOTW are all just so, for lack of a better word, dense. Even DT12's 'ballad' ("Along for the Ride") feels almost impenetrable, something that is not aided at all by what I feel is an offensively 'thuddy' drum sound.

On an album that is practically balls-to-the-wall from beginning to end, "Out of Reach" is a much needed moment of space (much like "Vacant' was to TOT).

And, yes, the lyrics are pretty top-notch....that JLB can definitely paint a picture with his words.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #47 on: October 12, 2023, 09:36:25 AM »
And, yes, the lyrics are pretty top-notch....that JLB can definitely paint a picture with his words.

I complimented James in person for his lyrical contributions on this album, and he was VERY appreciative. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #48 on: October 12, 2023, 12:37:34 PM »

I complimented James in person for his lyrical contributions on this album, and he was VERY appreciative.

Me too. I also told him there was a growing consensus that At Wit's End might be one of DT's best songs in a while. So I'd like to give myself credit for them adding that to the set for the next leg.  :D

I also told him his lyrics are pretty profound as they tend to deal with super heavy subjects and he said something along the lines of, "Ya know I'm not a very serious guy but I am observant and that's what I put into the lyrics."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #49 on: October 12, 2023, 03:23:43 PM »
I also told him there was a growing consensus that At Wit's End might be one of DT's best songs in a while. So I'd like to give myself credit for them adding that to the set for the next leg.  :D

Ha.  You might have been.  I know I wanted to mention that to JP when I saw them on the first leg of that tour.  But I actually didn't really get to talk to him much because he was really sick.  He came out kinda late for soundcheck and just kind of stood against the back part of the stage sipping tea out of a Starbucks cup.  He waved and said hi from there, told me he was feeling really sick, and that was it.  After the show, didn't see him.  I assume he went right to sleep.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #50 on: October 12, 2023, 04:16:02 PM »

Me too. I also told him there was a growing consensus that At Wit's End might be one of DT's best songs in a while. So I'd like to give myself credit for them adding that to the set for the next leg.  :D

I also told him his lyrics are pretty profound as they tend to deal with super heavy subjects and he said something along the lines of, "Ya know I'm not a very serious guy but I am observant and that's what I put into the lyrics."

At Wit End has become one of my all time favorite DT songs. I also managed to get one of the signed lyric sheets for At Wits End through Prog magazine (I believe) that had a limited run with the signed lyrics. For me, AWE is classic DT.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #51 on: October 12, 2023, 07:36:47 PM »

At Wit End has become one of my all time favorite DT songs. I also managed to get one of the signed lyric sheets for At Wits End through Prog magazine (I believe) that had a limited run with the signed lyrics. For me, AWE is classic DT.

Funny you bring that up. I'm a hoarder and forgot I had it framed and ready to be put up but I had it tucked away in a closet. Just found it 2 weeks ago and it's been hanging up since.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2023, 07:57:55 PM by Madman Shepherd »

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #52 on: October 12, 2023, 08:17:37 PM »
Having never listened to DoT yet, I decided to listen to this song thanks to this thread.

I think it is a very good ballad, JLB sounds really good and the music sits in a good place. I liked that in about 4 minutes, it progressed from soft to a more full sound.

Offline JeopardousRaven

« Reply #53 on: October 16, 2023, 06:29:26 PM »

James's lyrical contributions are consistently great IMO. I wish he would write lyrics more often. Off the top of my head he's written Anna Lee, Blind Faith, Disappear, Vacant, Sacrificed Sons, and At Wit's End. There's several more that he's done that I'm not recalling but those songs all have a very poignant/significant lyrical meaning that I really appreciate. They always tend to bring a little more to the table than the typical JP lyrics.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: October 16, 2023, 08:37:35 PM »
James seems to have a knack of writing lyrics that fit the song. Not being a songwriter, I feel it is a tremendous skill. to not just write words but to write words to suitably accompany music.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #55 on: October 17, 2023, 08:12:49 AM »
James seems to have a knack of writing lyrics that fit the song. Not being a songwriter, I feel it is a tremendous skill. to not just write words but to write words to suitably accompany music.
That's a great point.