Author Topic: Out Of Reach - Appreciation & Discussion Thread  (Read 5437 times)

Online The Letter M

Out Of Reach - Appreciation & Discussion Thread
« on: March 06, 2019, 10:18:57 PM »
Since InsideOut released the Track By Track Video for this song earlier today, I figured I'd start up the thread dedicated to this ballad off the new album. It really struck me as a beautiful song the first few times I heard it, and I love the guitar solo after the first verse/chorus, very soulful! When the drums come in, it definitely kicks things up a notch, especially with that change in the guitar riff doing arpeggios in the verse.

The chorus on this one is also one of the stronger ones on the album, and while James did write the lyrics and sings them very well, Petrucci steals the show on this one nearly throughout the whole song. I also REALLY love the fill that Mangini does right before James comes in with "Out of reach"...it's just so tasty!

On an album full of hard and heavy-hitting songs, this ballad really stands out more and I think it's as strong as anything else on this album.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline erwinrafael

Re: Out Of Reach - Appreciation & Discussion Thread
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2019, 10:27:36 PM »
My favorite trivia from that video: they finished the music in just 30 minutes!

Has anybody already deciphered the secret word that JR's keys played in this song?

Offline spw5150

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2019, 10:28:07 PM »
I love James' melody on the verses.  His delivery is similar to some of his solo work that I really enjoy.  This song is right in the "pocket" vocally.  Great Piano lines and the guitar solo hits me, that tone is excellent.  Great ballad,  one of DT's best IMHO.   " Although you're hurting and afraid" is a great vocal line
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 11:19:05 PM by spw5150 »

Offline robwebster

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2019, 10:45:55 PM »
It's slowly growing on me. I didn't like it that much at first - a bit too 80s radio power ballad - but the more I listen I'm starting to hear some To Live Forever lineage, which is making me like it more.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2019, 11:14:41 PM »
I don't care for the first verse, but when the guitar kicks in and the second verse starts, this song really takes off. Solid inclusion on the album and nice lyrics by James.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2019, 06:59:21 AM »
I have to say that I've never really cared for DT's ballads.  Sure, some are ok but I never really look forward to listening to them or seek them out individually.  For example, I like WFS only because it leads into LTL.

This one though . . . I liked it on the very first listen.  Very catchy music and lyrics.  I found myself actually skipping to it.

Just another example of why D/T is such a good album - even the balads are good  :biggrin:

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2019, 07:22:17 AM »
I love James' melody on the verses.  His delivery is similar to some of his solo work that I really enjoy.  This song is right in the "pocket" vocally.  Great Piano lines and the guitar solo hits me, that tone is excellent.  Great ballad,  one of DT's best IMHO.   " Although you're hurting and afraid" is a great vocal line

Totally this! Did anyone here get what is the lyrical twist on this song that bosk refered to?
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2019, 07:49:50 AM »
Best part of the song is the buildup in the second verse, when the guitar comes in: "Sadness in her smile, love, it's been a while..."

Also it's cool how after the first verse the mini-solo starts, you'd expect it would be just some interlude, but it goes on and on, always delicate and melodic.

All in all Out of Reach is a nice sweet little ballad, a moment of calm between the two long songs of the album.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2019, 08:22:22 AM »
If I have to have a "least favourite" song on D/T, this is probably it. Don't get me wrong, it's a good song, but it hasn't absolutely gripped me yet unlike all the other songs on the album. My mind often wanders during this track, especially its placement between arguably the twin peaks of the album, namely AWE and PBD.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2019, 08:42:31 AM »
I like this one a lot.  DT almost always does a really good job with the slower tunes and they nailed this one.  Songs like this are why JLB is so valuable.  :hat

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2019, 08:58:44 AM »
Some people say that this is a ‘by-the-numbers’ DT ballad, but I think it’s stronger than AFTR, FFH and BTS. As people mentioned, great piano/guitar parts and James really shines with both lyrics and vocals. One thing I do really like is his vocals fading out at the end, the reverb effects were put to excellent use there!

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2019, 10:38:21 AM »

Did anyone here get what is the lyrical twist on this song that bosk refered to?
I was wondering about that too.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2019, 10:58:06 AM »
Like it a lot and liked it from the get go.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline erciccio

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2019, 11:17:23 AM »
I never liked it, and is my least favourite ballad ever (I love DT ballads in general)

My problem here is that the initial verse is so bad musically (imho) that destroys the listening experience, to me.

The only similar case in the DT discography is the "our deeds" section in Beyond this Life, it's cacophonic to my ears...

Sorry to say this. :)
Ora che ho perso la vista,ci vedo di più

Offline RAIN

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2019, 12:13:59 PM »
Can't stand the song....I just wish for once DT would make a ballad/slow song that gets to me...
For me, they just can't do it and fail each album.  At least I can always cut those off my phone.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2019, 12:16:34 PM »
Can't stand the song....I just wish for once DT would make a ballad/slow song that gets to me...
For me, they just can't do it and fail each album.  At least I can always cut those off my phone.

I generally prefer the heavy songs any day of the week, and I feel that DT "ballads" in general don't do it for me, with a few exceptions.  But for whatever reason, the ones on the last four albums have been OUTSTANDING. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2019, 02:51:42 PM »
I also prefer the heavier prog metal side of DT.  However, OOR is another example of a perfectly crafted DT power ballad.  Along the same lines as LSOAD, TITL and Wither.  I tend to not like the slower ballads such as FFH and BTS and many others that appeared on TA.

This song just has a beautiful combination of melodies between the keys and guitar and James just sings it so well.  Extremely memorable as I am finding out with most of the material on the album.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2019, 03:08:55 PM »
This is actually my third fav song on the album behind ATW and S2N, brilliant.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2019, 03:11:54 PM »
Really enjoy this song, especially the big chorus at the end.

Anyone else get a huge Satriani vibe from Petrucci’s solo in this? It’s the most like Satriani that I’ve ever heard someone else sound both in sound and melodic choices. I would totally have thought this was Satch if heard in isolation until the last few seconds when you hear a more Petrucci style melody right at the end. This is not a criticism, I love Satriani, it’s just an observation as he has such a unique sound and this is the first time Ive ever heard someone sound so much like him.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2019, 03:16:27 PM »
It sounded more Schon than Satriani to me.  But coming off a G3 tour, I wouldn't be surprised if there is some Satch influence in there somewhere.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2019, 03:39:46 PM »
Anyone else get a huge Satriani vibe from Petrucci’s solo in this?

Yep, thought that the very first time.

It sounded more Schon than Satriani to me.  But coming off a G3 tour, I wouldn't be surprised if there is some Satch influence in there somewhere.

I can hear a bit of Schon too mate now you mention it.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Danger Zone

« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2019, 03:54:05 PM »
There was something about this song that hit me hard and I couldn't figure out what. Then it occurred to me that the lyrics reminded me (or I interpreted them) in the context of my daughter who was just born prematurely (1 lb, 9 oz). She almost died before the hospital finally stabilized her. Now she's fighting for her little life. I'm listening to this song interpreting the lyrics in completely the unintended context, but in a way that deeply affected me.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2019, 08:58:24 PM »
There was something about this song that hit me hard and I couldn't figure out what. Then it occurred to me that the lyrics reminded me (or I interpreted them) in the context of my daughter who was just born prematurely (1 lb, 9 oz). She almost died before the hospital finally stabilized her. Now she's fighting for her little life. I'm listening to this song interpreting the lyrics in completely the unintended context, but in a way that deeply affected me.

Damn, DZ, I'm sure we're all rooting for her and hoping it all works out.  Keep us updated.

Offline Volante99

« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2019, 01:39:35 AM »
Starts off well enough but then turns into a mess at the 2:45 mark when they turn the volume WAY UP and try to make it EPIC and Petrucci does those cheesy pentatonic licks. Yikes!

It’s a great piano melody by Rudess but they should have kept it a low key song, ala Far From Heaven or Wait for Sleep. I’m actually surprised DT has such a hard time with ballads as Rudess can probably write these slower piano tunes in his sleep.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 01:47:19 AM by Volante99 »

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2019, 01:43:24 AM »
Yeah bosk, Neal Schon is definitely lurking in there to me too :D (add to that that James' vocals do remind me of Steve Perry in some ways as well) I like MM's drumming on it too
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2019, 03:12:07 AM »
I hear way more of Schon in the outro to At Wits End, not so much with Out of Reach.  As far as DT ballads go, I think most of them are pretty awesome!  Chosen is probably my favorite of all DT ballads, but Out of Reach is really good too.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2019, 03:27:25 AM »
Ballads are hit and miss for me and I do like a good power ballad. 

I find stuff like Hollow Years, Anna Lee, Take Away My Pain and The Answer Lies Within pretty dull. On the other hand I love The Spirit Carries On, Chosen, Another Day, Space Dye Vest and This Is The Life.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2019, 11:11:35 AM »
Ballads are hit and miss for me and I do like a good power ballad. 

I find stuff like Hollow Years, Anna Lee, Take Away My Pain and The Answer Lies Within pretty dull. On the other hand I love The Spirit Carries On, Chosen, Another Day, Space Dye Vest and This Is The Life.
Nice you're mentioning Chosen and This Is The Life too.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2019, 08:05:06 PM »

Did anyone here get what is the lyrical twist on this song that bosk refered to?

I'm also missing that twist. I don't think it has been discussed.

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2019, 07:14:31 AM »
The lyrics are a little ambiguous, which I like. A lot of 'love' songs use dependency and suffocation imagery as this one does, which leaves them open to interpretation. I actually prefer James' lyrical style to anyone else in the band because I think that at his best he strikes an excellent balance between telling a story and being poetic. He has a knack for finding a striking image or turn of phrase (exhibit A, 'Disappear').

Musically I find this song to be beautiful and it serves as a good breather before Pale Blue Dot (which is still my favourite track on the album).

Offline Danger Zone

« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2019, 07:36:23 AM »
The lyrics are a little ambiguous, which I like. A lot of 'love' songs use dependency and suffocation imagery as this one does, which leaves them open to interpretation. I actually prefer James' lyrical style to anyone else in the band because I think that at his best he strikes an excellent balance between telling a story and being poetic. He has a knack for finding a striking image or turn of phrase (exhibit A, 'Disappear').

Musically I find this song to be beautiful and it serves as a good breather before Pale Blue Dot (which is still my favourite track on the album).

This song is like classic DT, but not. It has the musicality but is so short and pointed. Everything in the song happens so fast- no build up or flourish. It is a beautiful song and the best on the album. I am obsessed with JP's solo that breaks into harmonics after each phrase. To me, the 2 songs on DOT that most represent the band are Barstool Warrior and At Wit's End, but Out of Reach is a great departure.

Offline jayvee3

« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2019, 06:16:55 PM »
After having the album since release now, I find myself coming back to this track time and time again, to the point where it could well be my very favourite from the album. I actually really like the DT ballads, but this one is an absolute gem. I remember saying I wish they put another repeat of the massive chorus in there, and I think that still stands. But I love this track - haunting and beautiful...

Offline BeatriceNB

« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2019, 12:43:37 AM »

I'm also missing that twist. I don't think it has been discussed.

I have been told it's that the "protagonist" gets friendzoned by the girl. Honestly, I can't see that at all (and I hate the concept of 'friendzone', so that doesn't help). The lyrics feel more like "although we can't be together, I hope you can overcome your problems" to me.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2019, 08:13:23 AM »
I have noticed that I have this song in my head a lot first thing in the morning when I wake up.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2019, 10:49:53 AM »
One thing I appreciate about this song is the different structure, guitar solo before the 2nd verse and the chorus is last.