2 (1.8%)
I like them both!
10 (8.9%)
WTH, this is a troll poll!
6 (5.4%)
Kevin Moore
38 (33.9%)

Total Members Voted: 112

Author Topic: The Viper King discussion thread (with fun bonus poll)  (Read 4840 times)

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
Re: The Viper King discussion thread (with fun bonus poll)
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2019, 07:35:00 PM »
Right, like they didn't intend to write a song about a car, the music just seemed like it would be a good song to be about a car.

I mean, stylistically, musically I don't even think it's that similar to Highway Star. You can just as easily say that this song is Dream Theater's Born To Be Wild.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2019, 07:35:31 PM »
Pretty sure it's Dream Theater's Viper King. :D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2019, 03:25:19 PM »
I feel like I get the Highway Star comparison much better than the SOA one.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2019, 08:44:39 AM »
I like it a lot, but would like it more if recorded with a 6-string. 7-string is too muddy for that type of song.

Offline Lax

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2019, 09:35:42 AM »
I like it a lot, but would like it more if recorded with a 6-string. 7-string is too muddy for that type of song.
I wonder if it would still hit like a truck with a 6 strings, it's part of the charm :)
EBMM JP12 Cherry Sugar + JP7 Pearl Redburst
Axe FX 2 XL+ & MFC101 MK3 & Roland EV5
Boss WL-50, Morpheus droptune, G-Lab Wowee Wah, 2x Yamaha HS7, Sennheiser HD25 SP2 & Jamhub Bedroom
https://www.facebook.com/Laxthestampede/

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2019, 08:23:53 AM »
I like the song, but JLB's vocs are a little weird. I don't think the Gillan influences suit him so much anymore (he did sound great on the Perfect Strangers cover twenty+ years ago), and the Plant influences do not suit him at alllllll.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2019, 09:59:04 AM »
I like the song, but JLB's vocs are a little weird. I don't think the Gillan influences suit him so much anymore (he did sound great on the Perfect Strangers cover twenty+ years ago), and the Plant influences do not suit him at alllllll.

The only issue with JLB's vox on this song that I have are his very first vocal lines. He sounds so strained and nasally, almost like latter-day Geddy Lee trying to sing older songs. It's a bit of an ear-ache at first, but he seems fine in the rest of the song.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2019, 01:49:57 AM »
Love it. And I too would welcome more fun rock influence going forwards.

Edit: S2N also has some of that fun going on. I think of them in a similar-ish way.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Volante99

« Reply #43 on: March 16, 2019, 11:50:59 AM »
Not a fan. Doesn’t “sound” like DT. There’s some decent, but unremarkable soloing, but other than that, meh.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2019, 05:00:38 PM »
I disagree. There’s a great straight-up rock/metal band in them dying to get out. I wouldn’t mind a whole album of songs in 4/4 to what they could come up with. JP is an awesome rock player.

Offline Volante99

« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2019, 07:37:37 PM »
I disagree. There’s a great straight-up rock/metal band in them dying to get out. I wouldn’t mind a whole album of songs in 4/4 to what they could come up with. JP is an awesome rock player.

Oh dear god, no, please no.

It’s true, JP can do rock. The others? Ehhh...

At the very least, JLB’s voice just doesnt lend itself to straight-up rock in my opinion.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 10:05:09 PM by Volante99 »

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
« Reply #46 on: March 17, 2019, 05:18:32 PM »

Ok... If we're comparing tracks, here's my take:

Viper King: Definite Deep Purple Vibe in the keys and guitar lines. It has a groove to it that DT has never had before. I'm gonna give Mangini credit for that. He and Myung are deep in the pocket on this track. Mangini has a fun swing beat going with a bluesy swing groove from Jordan and JP. The song sounds like the band is having fun together. Everybody is supporting each other and enjoying what they do. It's a blast to listen to. I can only imagine how fun it was to record. My only gripe is that because it's such a fun song, it ends too quickly.

Divine Addiction: Again with the obvious Deep Purple vibe through the whole track, but for me that's where the similarities end. The biggest difference between these tracks is the amount of joy Viper King gives while this does not (at least for me), and I think the reason for that is the tempo and key. I may be mistaken about the key here but I believe Viper King is in a major key and Divine Addiction is a minor one. There's a feel to Viper King that this lacks. I can't really put my finger on it.

Viper King feels fresh and new for DT, while Divine Addiction feels like something DT has done before. They're both good songs in their own right, but there really isn't anything other than the Deep Purple homage to tie them together. No real comparison,

Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #47 on: March 17, 2019, 05:45:19 PM »
Divine Addiction?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Letter M

ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #49 on: March 17, 2019, 06:24:23 PM »
Gotcha. I didn't notice the poll at the top of the page.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #50 on: March 17, 2019, 06:37:01 PM »
Personally, I don't really hear the deep purple influence in Viper King, aside from the fact that Deep Purple used a lot of organs in their sound, and this song is very organ driven. I made the Highway Star comparison purely based on the subject matter, and what it represents for the band, in other words, being their driving song, and I'm quite sure that James LaBrie made the comparison for the very same reason, and not because of the general sound.

With Divine Addiction, I can definitely hear the Purple influence in the sound. But from what I'm hearing, it's not about driving a car, is it?

So yeah, it's kind of a moot comparison either way. The point is, Dream Theater now has a fun, bouncy, driving anthem that you could throw into a playlist with the likes of Radar Love and Born To Be Wild.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #51 on: March 19, 2019, 07:05:55 PM »
The funny thing is I just listened to their version of Made In Japan over the weekend before the new one showed up.  So I just laughed when I hear Viper King for the first time.