Author Topic: Has Queen surpassed everyone to be the 2nd most popular band ever?  (Read 7834 times)

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Has Queen surpassed everyone to be the 2nd most popular band ever?
« Reply #105 on: March 15, 2019, 08:24:58 AM »
The only time I have an issue with those fans who only like 1-2 songs is if those songs sound nothing like the rest of the band's stuff.

So if someone only likes Enter Sandman, cool. It's a rockin metal song. Metallica is a rockin metal band. If they only like....Mama Said...which I really love, then I can't say they're Metallica fans since that's not really what Metallica sounds like. You know?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline NunoTenniscourt

• President of my uncle's Anti-Nepotism Organization
« Reply #106 on: March 15, 2019, 12:17:13 PM »
Not sure why that’s a problem. I’m not really into this gatekeeping thing where you’re not allowed to be a fan of something unless you know every single thing about it. People can like Queen without having to own every album. I actually think they are a better singles band than album band. I find a lot of their albums quite patchy but I suppose that could also be down the eclectic nature of their music meaning that I’m not going to enjoy everything they do. I actually found their later albums such as Innuendo and The Miracle more consistent than some of their more classic albums.

I never said anything about an obligation to be a total fanatic. I was referring to people who I never heard utter a peep about the band or Freddie. Their posts after seeing the movie were just as ridiculous. "Musical geniuses!! OMG!! My favorite band ever!!!" Best movie I've ever seen!!", etc.

I think a "HUH?!" reaction is reasonable considering the circumstances.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #107 on: March 15, 2019, 12:32:11 PM »
Not sure why that’s a problem. I’m not really into this gatekeeping thing where you’re not allowed to be a fan of something unless you know every single thing about it. People can like Queen without having to own every album. I actually think they are a better singles band than album band. I find a lot of their albums quite patchy but I suppose that could also be down the eclectic nature of their music meaning that I’m not going to enjoy everything they do. I actually found their later albums such as Innuendo and The Miracle more consistent than some of their more classic albums.

I never said anything about an obligation to be a total fanatic. I was referring to people who I never heard utter a peep about the band or Freddie. Their posts after seeing the movie were just as ridiculous. "Musical geniuses!! OMG!! My favorite band ever!!!" Best movie I've ever seen!!", etc.

Why?  I had never heard anything by Pink Floyd except Learning to Fly before I saw The Wall (the film), and my reaction to film was very much of the "OMG, this band is amazing" variety.  Sometimes it is a film, an album, or even just a song, that can be an eye-opening experience to discovering the greatness of a band.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #108 on: March 15, 2019, 12:41:00 PM »

I think Peter's comment was more a response to what MirrorMask wrote than what you wrote.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #109 on: March 15, 2019, 01:48:47 PM »
Interesting discussion here. If someone considers themselves a "fan" based on 1-2 songs I suppose I'd base my judgment on if they a) hadn't heard anything else or b) heard a bunch of other stuff they didn't like.

I love Linda Ronstadt's Long Long Time, but couldn't name another song of hers, know nothing about her, or even what her musical styles are. Thus would never consider myself a "Linda Ronstadt fan."

I have always considered myself a huge Floyd fan, but I think Piper is a terrible album, and everything else up until DSotM is dreck (except for the occasional good song like Echoes of Wots... uh the Deal?) That's about half their discography I actively dislike. How huge of a fan can I be?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline NunoTenniscourt

• President of my uncle's Anti-Nepotism Organization
« Reply #110 on: March 15, 2019, 04:10:14 PM »

Why?  I had never heard anything by Pink Floyd except Learning to Fly before I saw The Wall (the film), and my reaction to film was very much of the "OMG, this band is amazing" variety.  Sometimes it is a film, an album, or even just a song, that can be an eye-opening experience to discovering the greatness of a band.

I can understand that. Interest in a band or artist has to start somewhere, but did you enthusiastically profess to "love" Pink Floyd before seeing the movie? That's the difference here. These people I knew for decades who hadn't a care in the world for Queen were raving like presidents of their fan club when the movie was announced.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #111 on: March 15, 2019, 04:28:52 PM »
With regards to gatekeeping and fandoms in generally, it's really easy for fans of music to profess a "love" for [insert band name here] because they really like one or more hit singles. Really, their language should convey they love [insert band name here]'s hit singles, rather than the band, because saying that to a seasoned or diehard fan gives the impression that a more casual fan knows more or enjoys more of the band's work than they do. It's a matter of choosing how to say you appreciate a band and/or their work. As George Carlin once say, words are all we have.

In my younger days, I can admit being a huge gatekeeper of many fandoms but I've grown to see how bad those types of fans can be, because fans start as casuals, and we develop into hardcore fans over time. Rather than gatekeeping, we should nourish new fans with songs they haven't heard yet, give them new albums, share our (sometimes overly obsessive) love for the bands we love, and get them to JOIN US in our love, because it's always a joy to be able to gush about the things we love with new fans.

Just don't go shoving Queen II into the face of someone who has only heard of Queen because of the movie...ease them in a little!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #112 on: March 15, 2019, 04:30:19 PM »
How far does it go though? I am a huge Rush fan. But there are an album or two (I think) I haven't heard, or at least don't remember.

Same with Queen. I really like them. Don't like all their songs, don't know all their songs, but i know a considerable amount.

How many songs until you can call yourself a fan?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #113 on: March 15, 2019, 04:43:11 PM »
How far does it go though? I am a huge Rush fan. But there are an album or two (I think) I haven't heard, or at least don't remember.

Same with Queen. I really like them. Don't like all their songs, don't know all their songs, but i know a considerable amount.

How many songs until you can call yourself a fan?

IMO, you can call yourself a fan of anything if you enjoy it, but if you're going to announce yourself as such, be specific, especially to hardcore fans who might be prone to irrational gatekeeping. I don't think there should be any measurement of fandom involved since fans can like what they like, but if you know you're not obsessively knowledgeable, you might want to say as such...maybe. Different fans will react differently to new or casual fans, so it would be a case by case basis, I think.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #114 on: March 15, 2019, 07:26:10 PM »

I can understand that. Interest in a band or artist has to start somewhere, but did you enthusiastically profess to "love" Pink Floyd before seeing the movie? That's the difference here. These people I knew for decades who hadn't a care in the world for Queen were raving like presidents of their fan club when the movie was announced.

Okay, outside of us knuckleheads on these forums :P, can we ever really know how much a person likes a band, even if we know them for decades?  There are a few people I know who still think I listen to nothing but Rush.   :lol :lol

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #115 on: March 18, 2019, 07:36:54 AM »
Funny how since this thread started, I've had a few instances where they've come up in normal talk and it made me think, damn yea Queen really has become something else.  Over the weekend, the movie came up in conversation with my family and next thing you know my older sister and my brother's gf are all dancing to Don't Stop Me Now.  I can't recall my sister ever talking about Queen ever before, let alone dancing and singing the words.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #116 on: March 18, 2019, 08:09:47 AM »
Don't Stop Me Now was released as a single in England but not in the US if my memory serves me correct.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #117 on: March 18, 2019, 10:58:40 AM »
Reached #9 in the UK, and a 'whopping' #86 in the States.  Even though I had the album at the time, I was one of the few on this side of the pond that purchased it, just for the sleeve.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don%27t_Stop_Me_Now

A very good version on 'Live Killers', and most concert bootlegs from the 1979-80 European tour.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #118 on: March 18, 2019, 12:58:06 PM »
Funny how since this thread started, I've had a few instances where they've come up in normal talk and it made me think, damn yea Queen really has become something else.  Over the weekend, the movie came up in conversation with my family and next thing you know my older sister and my brother's gf are all dancing to Don't Stop Me Now.  I can't recall my sister ever talking about Queen ever before, let alone dancing and singing the words.

:tup :tup

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #119 on: March 18, 2019, 01:27:25 PM »
Reached #9 in the UK, and a 'whopping' #86 in the States.  Even though I had the album at the time, I was one of the few on this side of the pond that purchased it, just for the sleeve.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don%27t_Stop_Me_Now

A very good version on 'Live Killers', and most concert bootlegs from the 1979-80 European tour.

Ah, that makes sense.  The fuzzy memory.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #120 on: June 18, 2020, 09:54:57 PM »
Update:

Queen is still number 2.

Prove me wrong. :P :P

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #121 on: June 19, 2020, 02:09:58 AM »
Currently Queen has over 32 million monthly listeners on Spotify. None of classic rock bands is even close.

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #122 on: June 19, 2020, 03:00:21 AM »

Elton John's biopic is coming out soon, so while you won't get the same level of surge (Reg isn't dead) it's going to temper things for a while.   Two years from now, The Beatles will still be number one, and the number two will return to the swirling soup of Zepp/Floyd/Who/Beach Boys/etc. that it usually is.

You are wrong about The Who. They are a band who are very big only with boomers, but in general younger generations are not into them. Queen are way bigger than them in the 21st century in every possible way.

See this thread:
http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/why-isnt-the-who-as-popular-as-other-classic-rock-bands.773770/

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #123 on: June 19, 2020, 04:42:13 AM »
I think Brian is now just cashing in. There's been no new music for at least a decade. ** Did nobody like the Paul Rodgers album ? Maybe he doesn't want to make another album...

But it seems that he's milking the brand name for all he can now.

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #124 on: June 19, 2020, 04:58:19 AM »

I have the general impression that the vast majority of Queen fans, or better, people who list Queen as one of their favorite bands (and possibly not the very favorite), are more a "greatest hits" kind of fans, rather than owning all the albums and knowing all the songs.

I'd be curious to make a survey about how many people who are not diehard Queen fans but are "oh yeah, I love Queen, Bohemian Rhapsody, Another One Bites the Dust, I Want it All" even know about The March of the Black Queen, The Prophet's Song (which is actually on the same album Bohemian Rhapsody is) or even a random straight rocker like Let Me Entertain You ("What? the Robbie Williams song? it's a Queen cover?").

Yep. I totally agree. Masses of casual music fans (not people who are into listening albums) like Queen and stream their biggest hits on Spotify(or Apple, Deezer) or listen them on Youtube.
If you know Queen songs as March of the Black Queen, Ogre Battle, Liar, Death on Two Legs, Prophet's Song, Brighton Rock, Now I'm Here etc. then you can't be considered a casual Queen fan.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #125 on: June 19, 2020, 05:36:15 AM »
Ok so I checked out " Let Me Entertain You "  :biggrin:

First time i've ever heard it...

it's ... not great .  :rollin

What a weird song. It sounds like the song you write as a band - that you don't dislike enough to ditch but it pads out the live set so you keep it... for now.

Not one of their best !  ;D

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #126 on: June 19, 2020, 07:21:56 AM »
Here, in The Netherlands, Queen is the biggest I think. Queen almost always tops our national top 2000, voted for by the people. This radio/tv program is so popular that more than half of the nation follows the list every year, about 10 million people. Last year, Queen had 5 entries in the top 50. The Beatles had none (first was Let it Be at 53).

I am 30 and amongst my age Queen is most definitely more known all around than any of the other bands listed here, before the film and all.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #127 on: June 19, 2020, 08:11:54 AM »

Elton John's biopic is coming out soon, so while you won't get the same level of surge (Reg isn't dead) it's going to temper things for a while.   Two years from now, The Beatles will still be number one, and the number two will return to the swirling soup of Zepp/Floyd/Who/Beach Boys/etc. that it usually is.

You are wrong about The Who. They are a band who are very big only with boomers, but in general younger generations are not into them. Queen are way bigger than them in the 21st century in every possible way.

See this thread:
http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/why-isnt-the-who-as-popular-as-other-classic-rock-bands.773770/

I can't access that thread from work (though I am generally supportive of the ideas over there; that's a good forum in my opinion, especially if you want obscure details).    But I have to say:  I'm dizzy and need to sit down, because I think I'm agreeing with Wild Ranger.  Does that mean I have Corona?   

I stand by my essential point, but yeah, The Who prolly don't belong there.

:) :)

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #128 on: June 19, 2020, 09:51:45 AM »
https://www.loudersound.com/news/queens-brian-may-voted-the-greatest-rock-guitarist-of-all-time#:~:text=Queen's%20Brian%20May%20has,and%20'best%20right%20now'.

"Fans got to have their say in an online poll – and it was May who came out on top of the rock category."

I used to know more than a few die hard (rabid? obsessive?) Queen fans.  I wouldn't be surprised if they banded together and did the 'vote early vote often' bit (remember, BoRhap was voted online as the greatest song of the 20th century in the UK).

As much as I loved the band, I'll always put The Beatles and Led Zeppelin above them.  Way too many clunkers and such after 1980 (until the last two releases).  But, man, when they were 'on'....

Worldwide....yeah, #2 sounds right.  And, probably ten years plus down the road as well.

...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #129 on: June 19, 2020, 10:11:41 AM »
Gen Z got into the band in a huge way. The online Queen fandom has never been more active or had more content, thanks to kids (am I allowed to say kids, again, as a younger millennial?) getting into the band via the movie. They understood the purpose and the tone of the movie is meant to entertain more than inform, they binged the discography, the concerts, they dig into photo archives and read bio books and watch documentaries. Youtube is full of their comments, Instagram and Twitter are full of Queen fan accounts. So overall the film has been excellent for Queen's legacy.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #130 on: June 19, 2020, 01:28:11 PM »
Queen's music has a bit of a timeless feel to it. I've been exposed to more and more radio since I started my new work and across different channels you hear a few Queen songs every day, whether it's Bohemian Rhapsody, Another One Bites the Dust, Radio Ga Ga, I Want to Break Free, We Are the Champions or We Will Rock You. They just seem to have that wide appeal across genres where even non-rock fans latch onto their melodies.

While The Beatles might be a bigger name, I think Queen might have more hits that people would recognize. Though I think perhaps a lot of younger people might be familiar with Queen songs without knowing it's Queen. :p

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #131 on: June 19, 2020, 05:51:48 PM »
https://www.loudersound.com/news/queens-brian-may-voted-the-greatest-rock-guitarist-of-all-time#:~:text=Queen's%20Brian%20May%20has,and%20'best%20right%20now'.

"Fans got to have their say in an online poll – and it was May who came out on top of the rock category."

I suspect many would push back on May being voted the greatest, but for my money, he is in the conversation.  I get why many would put Hendrix and/or Page ahead of him, and those guys were awesome, too, but with Queen's overall popularity still on the rise, hence this thread, it's no surprise that May would be right up there as well. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #132 on: June 20, 2020, 01:06:21 PM »
Queen's music has a bit of a timeless feel to it. I've been exposed to more and more radio since I started my new work and across different channels you hear a few Queen songs every day, whether it's Bohemian Rhapsody, Another One Bites the Dust, Radio Ga Ga, I Want to Break Free, We Are the Champions or We Will Rock You. They just seem to have that wide appeal across genres where even non-rock fans latch onto their melodies.

While The Beatles might be a bigger name, I think Queen might have more hits that people would recognize. Though I think perhaps a lot of younger people might be familiar with Queen songs without knowing it's Queen. :p

SOME of Queen's music is timeless; they were good/bad like that (depending on your preference).   They had a way of tapping into the moment but staying out of it at the same time.   That's actually one of the things I love most about them. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #133 on: June 20, 2020, 02:19:28 PM »

SOME of Queen's music is timeless; they were good/bad like that (depending on your preference).   They had a way of tapping into the moment but staying out of it at the same time.   That's actually one of the things I love most about them.

I love how all over the place their albums can be stylistically,  yet still manage to totally work.  That was the advantage of having four songwriters who usually wrote by themselves, rather than as a band.