Author Topic: RIP Trent Gardner (from Magellan - Magna Carta Label Band; Prog Rock)  (Read 1971 times)

Offline goo-goo

Seems like Trent Gardner passed away.

https://www.gofundme.com/29ckrzbg

Very talented musician and will be missed.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
This year continues to get shittier.  RIP

Offline gazinwales

Trent and wayne now gone, damn it Magellan were an extremely underrated band.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
That's too bad, I enjoyed some of Magellan's stuff back in the day.

RIP
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
Sad. Magellan have always been one of the obscure greats of prog.

Offline goo-goo

Been listening to the Magellan discography lately this past couple of days. Seems that there is more music that I liked this time around than when I originally listened to the albums.

Any other Magellan fans still around?

Offline MirrorMask

Nope, sorry. I remember checking out some of his stuff but I never really delved into Magellan.

My biggest appreciation for Trent Gardner's work is aimed towards the album he did about Leonardo, The Absolute Man, with James LaBrie as Leonardo. Always loved that album and it has a couple of truly stunning songs (This Time, This way and Shaping the Invisible).
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline goo-goo

Nope, sorry. I remember checking out some of his stuff but I never really delved into Magellan.

My biggest appreciation for Trent Gardner's work is aimed towards the album he did about Leonardo, The Absolute Man, with James LaBrie as Leonardo. Always loved that album and it has a couple of truly stunning songs (This Time, This way and Shaping the Invisible).

Did you ever check out Explorer's Club "Age of Impact"? JLB sings, JP plays probably one of his best solos ever...Terry Bozzio on drums, among other guests.

Leonardo is a great album! Still play that one quite often.

Offline Setlist Scotty

The only thing of Trent's that I really liked was the first Explorer's Club disc. Back in the 90s when the 'Jam was in full swing and everyone was making recommendations about which bands to check out, I tried Magellan, but I couldn't get into his quirky writing style. Even the tracks that he contributed to the first Mullmuzzler were by far my least favorite (especially Beelzebubba - awful, IMO). Nonetheless, I'm sure he was talented - it's just I could never get into his style of writing, just as I have never been able to get into Zappa's quirky style either.   :-\
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Eldomm

• Metropolis chemist
I bought the first Magellan album when it came out and I quite liked it, however honestly it's years I don't listen to it.

Offline gazinwales

Re: RIP Trent Gardner (from Magellan - Magna Carta Label Band; Prog Rock)
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2020, 02:34:11 AM »
Been listening to the Magellan discography lately this past couple of days. Seems that there is more music that I liked this time around than when I originally listened to the albums.

Any other Magellan fans still around?

Yes quite like most of their discography, though it took me a while to get all of them on CD.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2020, 04:29:10 AM »
I like what I know with him on it (being James' first two records  and Explorer's Club), but the guy passed away a full four years ago (in 2016, the year I personally call the year of the fallen, for obvious reasons)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2020, 04:45:13 AM »
This year continues to get shittier.  RIP

Ah. The good ol' times when we thought that a year marked by celebrities' deaths was a low point. Oh, us sweet summer children......
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline jammindude

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2020, 11:04:48 PM »
Test of Wills is such an amazing album.

The story of this family is so tragic. The older brother dying at war, the two brothers forming a progressive band together and even writing a concept album dedicated to the brother they lost, gaining a small measure of notoriety only to have one of them commit suicide and then the other die of still unknown causes.

I wish there was someone to keep their music alive, but it’s so sad that these albums will most likely go out of print and eventually be forgotten entirely. They were so talented. I only have 2 albums, and Explorers Club, but I loved their style and I’ve been meaning to seek out more. This thread bump is a good reminder.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline BelichickFan

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2020, 06:50:24 AM »
I love Hour of Restoration, Impending Ascension and Hundred Year Flood.  And some of the collaborations.

The rest was hit and miss for me.  Test of Wills is OK but the ones after HYF I was buying to be a completest more than really wanting.