Author Topic: That MP looking drummer covers Pale Blue Dot  (Read 1925 times)

Offline bill1971

That MP looking drummer covers Pale Blue Dot
« on: March 04, 2019, 09:12:15 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEoSZMs9NYk

I am not going to knock the guy for trying. I did notice not as many "I prefer your version better" comments. :)

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
Re: That MP looking drummer covers Pale Blue Dot
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2019, 09:20:49 AM »
I pretty much live under a rock, can anyone give me some context on who this guy is and why is he so commented in the forums as of lately?

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2019, 09:24:07 AM »
Honestly, When I saw the FITL cover i was pretty impressed and even liked the video. But his style get tiring after a while. He is a great drummer though.

PDB is such a technical song that him trying to play it differently kills the mood of the song. It doesn't sound right.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2019, 09:31:46 AM »
who this guy is

Random talented musician who posts on YouTube.

why is he so commented in the forums as of lately?

Because he covers DT songs, and has done a few of their recent songs, including this one.  And he plays them well (even though he doesn't play the songs exactly as they were written, and puts a bit of his own spin on them). 

There's not really much more to it than that.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline bill1971

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2019, 09:40:30 AM »
who this guy is

Random talented musician who posts on YouTube.

why is he so commented in the forums as of lately?

Because he covers DT songs, and has done a few of their recent songs, including this one.  And he plays them well (even though he doesn't play the songs exactly as they were written, and puts a bit of his own spin on them). 

There's not really much more to it than that.

For me personally it's the fascination of people posting in the youtube comments how his versions are better than Mangini. But I am seeking therapy for this. :)

Offline erciccio

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2019, 12:34:54 PM »
Well, some of the others were ok-ish--even though too full of useless fills...

This one is pretty bad...very very far from the original and a total mess in some parts. (e.g. minutes 6)

BTW...Mangini plays the initial hi-hat line with one hand...:) You could stop there
Ora che ho perso la vista,ci vedo di pił

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2019, 01:37:46 PM »
For someone who has an audience like this now, I don't get why he doesn't do an actually different and interesting version of it. Like, do a drum cover with a twist, not just "in MP style" over an over. I feel the guy is missing his chance to raise his standing.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 01:51:49 PM by rumborak »
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2019, 12:56:35 AM »
For someone who has an audience like this now, I don't get why he doesn't do an actually different and interesting version of it. Like, do a drum cover with a twist, not just "in MP style" over an over. I feel the guy is missing his chance to raise his standing.

In fact he is occupying a niche. A lot of  bitter people who feel the need to watch his videos to say "Wow, it's so much better with Portnoy style!". Again and again and again. This generates likes, comments, views.

He is trapped inside this MP-stylevarium.  :biggrin:

Personally I think interesting because this whole history says a lot about music, musical appreciation, fanbase, subjectivities, etc.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 10:19:24 AM by Dedalus »

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2019, 01:06:39 AM »
Not sure why this video gets an extra thread... Sure, this song is incredibly hard to cover, but in my opinion, he didn't manage it tooo well.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2019, 08:34:00 AM »
Not sure why this video gets an extra thread... Sure, this song is incredibly hard to cover, but in my opinion, he didn't manage it tooo well.

:dunno:  I liked it. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline bill1971

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2019, 09:10:55 AM »

:dunno:  I liked it.

Thanks Bosk. :)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2019, 09:13:47 AM »
I mean, don't get me wrong--I greatly prefer the original Mangini versions.  But this guy obviously loves the band.  And he is obviously immensely talented.  And he obviously puts enough of a different spin on these drum parts to make them different while still working well within the context of the song.  Not sure why the reluctance to appreciate.

Offline bill1971

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2019, 09:29:40 AM »
I mean, don't get me wrong--I greatly prefer the original Mangini versions.  But this guy obviously loves the band.  And he is obviously immensely talented.  And he obviously puts enough of a different spin on these drum parts to make them different while still working well within the context of the song.  Not sure why the reluctance to appreciate.

I agree with you. I really love his passion and his willingness to tackle such difficult songs. Plus he is talented. Even he puts in his comments that he cannot do what Mangini does, so he does some part different. It's just the ignorant comment section. Maybe I should have made my thread title "Earnest MP looking guy plays Pale Blue Dot, ignorant comments are made"

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2019, 09:37:42 AM »
Maybe I should have made my thread title "Earnest MP looking guy plays Pale Blue Dot, ignorant comments are made"
:lol

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2019, 09:56:48 AM »

Where can I see Mangini playing that part with one hand?

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2019, 10:19:53 AM »

What part? The fast hi-hats in the intro? You could hear it, based on the velocity of the hits and how the hi-hat hits continue even as the snare is hit.

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2019, 10:20:36 AM »

On tour  :lol

Offline erciccio

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2019, 11:31:09 AM »

You can see an Italian guy (Ciccotti) "playing"* the song that way...and mimicking* all the rest perfectly
And if you read the comments in the "Portnoy clone" video, he admits he cannot play that part single handed like Mangini does.

* Playing in "" since apparently his mics were off and he was just mimicking the song...there are a couple of misses that reveal the cheat, reading the comments...(and I also have doubts).
Ora che ho perso la vista,ci vedo di pił