Author Topic: At Wit's End - Outro  (Read 2704 times)

Offline lovethedrake

At Wit's End - Outro
« on: March 03, 2019, 08:12:26 PM »
JP... if you are reading this, you are a guitar god.   The new album is great, I just have one request....

Please make the outro of At Wit's end a huge long jam when you play it live.   It is so gorgeous on the album and it ends way too quickly!   

Of course the "don't leave me now" outro is amazing, but I'm talking about the final outro when the music fades back in.... I hope that was planted there to say "wait until you guys hear this live"

That's all  :P ;)

Offline SuperTaco

• why do I still exist
  • doomed to fail
Re: At Wit's End - Outro
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2019, 08:16:06 PM »
The part after it fades back in... I did not expect it to move me the way it did. It is an incredible piece of music on its own. To be the end of such an amazing song... This one is going to go down as one of their best.
So fking tired of being an oversensitive naive moronic fkin bitch. I CANT STOP IT. I CANT CHANGE. IM STUCK. This world eats me alive. My purpose is simply to be what others shouldn't be. A shriveled fking beacon of sad energy. I have lost. I am lost.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2019, 09:10:30 PM »
It has a bit of Journey (Neal Schon) type feel with Petrucci glitter to really make it shine!   I love the fade-in after the song is over.  I can tell the acoustics in that barn sound awesome!
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2019, 09:13:51 PM »
I imagine this outro is what heaven sounds like...

Offline Lax

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2019, 11:29:54 PM »
What if the fade out was about making us shouting "don't leave me now" to the band and the solo ? I mean seriously :)
EBMM JP12 Cherry Sugar + JP7 Pearl Redburst
Axe FX 2 XL+ & MFC101 MK3 & Roland EV5
Boss WL-50, Morpheus droptune, G-Lab Wowee Wah, 2x Yamaha HS7, Sennheiser HD25 SP2 & Jamhub Bedroom
https://www.facebook.com/Laxthestampede/

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2019, 12:25:21 AM »
Why can't we just finally have that AWE discussion thread?  :lol

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2019, 01:27:41 AM »
The outro is my favorite part of the whole album. Elegant in its simplicity and beautiful.

Offline Dreamer

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2019, 01:35:55 AM »
I agree, if only it lasted longer!

Offline Thoughtspart3

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2019, 08:02:56 PM »
It would have been cool to have a bonus track of them playing in barn like in the fade in at the end.  Love that vibe and the sound is very organic and natural.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2019, 01:14:15 AM »
It would have been cool to have a bonus track of them playing in barn like in the fade in at the end.  Love that vibe and the sound is very organic and natural.

I agree!

Also, as it has been mentioned in the main d/t thread, it's a bit awkard to have the long fade out, silence, and then the fade in. It should have been merged, and the "off the floor" section should have started when the main part of the song was ending.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2019, 10:27:42 AM »

Agreed. I've often said i want to hear an "under-produced" DT album. Love the approach on D/T and would love them to take it further.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline genome

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2019, 11:16:42 AM »
From a geeky perspective I love how they keep the same chord progression going but start shifting the root notes around about halfway through the solo.

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2019, 11:59:27 AM »
This one was instantaneous classic for me (AWE the full song I mean)... but the outro is like a handful on purpose!  What a cap to an amazing song, and absolutely out of nowhere honestly!
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2019, 12:13:22 PM »
. . . . and here is the track by track video for this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwic4Qc_o4M

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2019, 12:31:10 PM »
Nice!  There's so much out there now in terms of interviews, etc. that it didn't really bring any new info, but still a great video.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2019, 01:52:44 PM »

The Easter egg at the end of Illumination Theory never really worked for me personally... But the one in At Wits End? It's beautiful, fits so well, and is just a lovely, unique moment with which to end the song.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2019, 01:55:00 PM »
One of DT's and JP's finest moments, easily.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2019, 02:46:39 PM »
The outro is great, but I just realized listening on the way home that I would have much preferred an emotive, depressing keyboard solo to the one we got at around the 3:50 mark. Too much Jordan, not enough sadness.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2019, 10:13:19 PM »

Man, it's amazing how uncomfortable JM looks when doing interviews... and then he speaks and it gets even worse.

Online RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2019, 06:11:17 AM »

Man, it's amazing how uncomfortable JM looks when doing interviews... and then he speaks and it gets even worse.

In that case we absolutely must give John Myung credit for the fact he's doing so many of these interviews for this album promo cycle. I'm assuming he doesn't find it easy, considering how little he's done of it in the past.

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2019, 07:37:37 AM »

In that case we absolutely must give John Myung credit for the fact he's doing so many of these interviews for this album promo cycle. I'm assuming he doesn't find it easy, considering how little he's done of it in the past.

Maybe he just "looks" uncomfortable?  I know people have thought I looked uncomfortable is a situation where I wasn't at all.  Could be just a characteristic of someone with a more introverted personality . . . . or not  :dunno:

As far as content, I must have missed the previous explanation of the lyrics because that seemed new to me.  I'll have to go back and read them again.

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2019, 11:30:03 AM »

I'll agree with that and add to it... the first time my wife and I met DT (Jones Beach 2007) JP was very gracious (as always) MP was actually reserved (I thought that was odd) and JM actually hugged my wife and I both!  My wife told him that he was her favorite and he stood up and hugged us both!  I think that Another_Won probably covers it quite well... he may seem uncomfortable to us extroverts, but I'd bet that he's just fine during these interviews.  This is just the way he handles them.
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2019, 02:43:33 PM »

The Easter egg at the end of Illumination Theory never really worked for me personally... But the one in At Wits End? It's beautiful, fits so well, and is just a lovely, unique moment with which to end the song.

Totally agree.  Brings a whole new meaning to it.

From a geeky perspective I love how they keep the same chord progression going but start shifting the root notes around about halfway through the solo.

Love how they do that.  Provides so much more depth and dimension.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2019, 03:01:29 PM »

Totally agree.  Brings a whole new meaning to it.

Love how they do that.  Provides so much more depth and dimension.

Amen to all of that. At Wit's End is my favorite Dream Theater song since...man...probably Trial of Tears. MAYBE Overture 1928/Strange Deja Vu.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline spw5150

« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2019, 10:21:50 PM »
The piano line at the 8:54 mark gets me everytime.  So short and simple but conveys so much emotion.  I wish this lasted longer

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2019, 10:30:51 PM »
The whole part of JLB singing 'Don't Leave me Now' while JP guitar soars over the chords really struck me. So simple yet so absurdly sentimental and moving given how the rest of the song got to that moment. The whole sum of both melancholy and hope in it! It's one of those moments when you're reminded how music conveys feelings that words alone can't describe.

It's the best part of the album and one of the best moments in DT's history. I'm not even fucking exaggerating

Offline NunoTenniscourt

• President of my uncle's Anti-Nepotism Organization
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2019, 11:38:46 PM »

Yes, I noticed this the first time I went to try and play it on keys. The C eventually becomes C/G and the G/B becomes G/D.

They really knocked it out of the park with this song, and to do it so late in their career is just mindblowing.