Author Topic: Who Wants/Needs MP's Opinion Of Distance Over Time?  (Read 2230 times)

Offline Iceyice

Who Wants/Needs MP's Opinion Of Distance Over Time?
« on: March 06, 2019, 02:30:29 PM »
I'm in the need category.
I follow him on Twitter, but don't want to put him on the spot there, not that he or most musicians would answer a nobody anyway. I know he's heard it, but there's no trace of an opinion.
He may choose to not comment, but come on guys. You know he wants to say something. Maybe the right interviewer can beat it out of him, lol.

'Just when you're through hanging on......you're saved.....'

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
Re: Who Wants/Needs MP's Opinion Of Distance Over Time?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2019, 02:32:03 PM »
Sorry, friend. I couldn't care less about this one. But I hope you get what you want! :lol
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2019, 02:33:15 PM »
I have no idea whether he has heard it.  But if he has:
You know he wants to say something.
???  Why would you think that?  What makes you think he wants to say something?  He barely commented on ADTOE.  As far as I know, he didn't comment at all on DT12.  He hasn't commented on TA.  Why would he "want" to comment on d/t?  And why should we care?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2019, 02:36:09 PM »
I'd say you're in the want very strongly category. But no one "needs" MP's opinion.

That said, the chances of you or just about anyone finding out what his opinion is, is slim to none. Even tho I know him personally, I don't know what his opinion is.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2019, 02:49:09 PM »
I think MP has distanced himself over time.  :p :lol
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2019, 02:49:37 PM »
:clap:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2019, 02:54:46 PM »
 :lol

I bet he likes it though.  Would be cool to hear him speak positively of the band, but definitely not in the need category to get his opinion.  Plus he knows if he ever did say something publicly, it will be blabbermouthed to death so there is no point in him saying anything anyway. 

Offline Iceyice

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2019, 02:56:15 PM »
In a sense, yes. But this is still his baby, as an original member.
I need, because i think this 14th studio album is jaw dropping spectacular, AND the heaviest since T.O.T.
That is why i ask about this album. The drums are insane.
Do you think Mike Anthony had thoughts on VH's last album?

Its not that my life depended on his opnion, just opening a discussion.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2019, 02:59:54 PM »
I'm of course always interested in what MP has to say, just because he can be entertaining. But that said, I don't really care what his opinion IS, because I love the new record. :)

And I'm sure that now MP is on good terms again with JP and JR, he's not going to have anything near as colorful to say about DoT like he did with ADToE.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 03:10:10 PM by Samsara »
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Mladen

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2019, 03:00:09 PM »
You deserve a medal.

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2019, 03:00:19 PM »
I would imagine it's likely bittersweet listening to D/T for Portnoy.   I would think he likes it because it sounds like a very good DT album but would also think he would just feel bad listening to it because he wanted to be back in the band.   He also probably nitpicks the drumming a bit.

I feel like it would be sort of like going to an Ex-Wife's wedding.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2019, 03:01:32 PM »
I'd like to hear his opinion on it, but I don't need it. I think he'd like this one since it's a bit heavier and more of his style. I'd love to know what he thought of the drumming in Pale Blue Dot.

Usually there's something that comes out about his thoughts on the newest DT album. Didn't JP give him a copy of Dream Theater when it came out? I seem to remember him getting a copy. We know he didn't like The Astonishing. I'm sure he'll make some sort of comment, most likely positive.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2019, 03:09:26 PM »
Plus he knows if he ever did say something publicly, it will be blabbermouthed to death so there is no point in him saying anything anyway.

This. There is NO WAY that anything he would ever say, albeit positive, wouldn't be twisted into a headline someway.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Iceyice

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2019, 03:22:49 PM »
MP just tweeted about the anniversary of WDADU.! Just sayin'
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 03:37:02 PM by Iceyice »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2019, 03:24:19 PM »
Like others have said, there is nothing to gain from him saying anything, positive or negative.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2019, 03:25:17 PM »
In a sense, yes. But this is still his baby

No, DT was his baby.  Hasn't been for quite some time.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline CirclesSquared

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2019, 03:26:37 PM »

Shut down the internet, we're done here!

Offline Mladen

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2019, 03:37:40 PM »
I'd like to hear his opinion on it, but I don't need it. I think he'd like this one since it's a bit heavier and more of his style. I'd love to know what he thought of the drumming in Pale Blue Dot.

Usually there's something that comes out about his thoughts on the newest DT album. Didn't JP give him a copy of Dream Theater when it came out? I seem to remember him getting a copy. We know he didn't like The Astonishing. I'm sure he'll make some sort of comment, most likely positive.
How do we know that?

Offline robwebster

« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2019, 03:46:31 PM »
When A Dramatic Turn of Events came out I was super curious what Mike might have made of it. Nowadays, I think I've come to the conclusion that Mike's opinion would be that of a former member, rather than a music fan.

In a vacuum I am still really interested. He's such a big fan of music, he was such a big part of Dream Theater, and the band are still making music that sounds a lot like the kind of stuff he spent 25 years or so working on. That's fascinating - it's like meeting your clone! What does he make of it?

That said, I think his opinion must surely include a lot of his feelings about his former band mates, and that's the less interesting bit. Especially in 2011 but still to some extent now, I don't know how much his review of On the Backs of Angels could be truly "neutral!"

So yeah, I'm really interested in his opinion of Illumination Theory in an abstract sense, but I'm not so interested in his opinion of Illumination Theory the song that Dream Theater wrote after he left. If that makes sense!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2019, 04:21:29 PM »
I couldn't give a rat's ass what MP thinks about pretty much anything (with the possible exception of restaurants or, if I were a drummer, drum products).  Likewise, I couldn't care less what JP or any other member of DT thinks about anything that MP is doing or has done since leaving DT 8 1/2 years ago.  Nor do I care what Geddy Lee or Bruce Dickinson or Kevin Moore or Charlie Dominici (the latter two of whom are, like MP, founding members of DT) or pretty much anyone else thinks.  I also was quite content with never knowing what John Rutsey thought about the 17 Rush studio albums released after he left the band and before he died.

I follow him on Twitter, but don't want to put him on the spot there, not that he or most musicians would answer a nobody anyway. I know he's heard it, but there's no trace of an opinion.
He may choose to not comment, but come on guys. You know he wants to say something. Maybe the right interviewer can beat it out of him, lol.

I don't "know" any such thing, and he'd be a fool to comment publicly, and I simply don't get why anyone would care what he thinks about it.

I need, because i think this 14th studio album is jaw dropping spectacular, AND the heaviest since T.O.T.

You "need" MP's opinion "because" you have a particular opinion?  Huh?

Don't know; don't care.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2019, 04:31:40 PM »
Who gives a fuck what MP thinks. I mean seriously. No offence Icyice. But WTF?

Gee, I wonder what Charlie thinks about it...
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Iceyice

« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2019, 04:32:14 PM »
I couldn't give a rat's ass what MP thinks about pretty much anything (with the possible exception of restaurants or, if I were a drummer, drum products).  Likewise, I couldn't care less what JP or any other member of DT thinks about anything that MP is doing or has done since leaving DT 8 1/2 years ago.  Nor do I care what Geddy Lee or Bruce Dickinson or Kevin Moore or Charlie Dominici (the latter two of whom are, like MP, founding members of DT) or pretty much anyone else thinks.  I also was quite content with never knowing what John Rutsey thought about the 17 Rush studio albums released after he left the band and before he died.

I don't "know" any such thing, and he'd be a fool to comment publicly, and I simply don't get why anyone would care what he thinks about it.

You "need" MP's opinion "because" you have a particular opinion?  Huh?

Don't know; don't care.

Wow. In fact, a S2N wow.
For someone that doesnt care, you sure said a mouthful......quoting away, as well!
You mad, bro?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2019, 04:39:40 PM »
And now you are going to bait people?  This thread is done.  Quit baiting people into nonsense arguments.