Author Topic: Anyone else...?  (Read 3052 times)

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
Re: Anyone else...?
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2019, 05:01:06 AM »
Really, really sick of "Disney" being used in a derogatory fashion especially when it comes to progressive/power metal.

Thank you! And to everyone else who seems to have come out of the woodwork against this utterly stupid "Disney" tag. Where was all this during The Astonishing album cycle?

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2019, 07:24:37 AM »
I can't wait for the next album, "Frozen Over Time"! :metal
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline commanderbob

« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2019, 07:27:10 AM »
Anyone else tired of all the Disney sounding songs? The choruses that are over the top - you know, the larger than life, majestic, grandiose, cinematic / soundtrack sounding tunes? My favorite track off the album is S2n, because it’s a straight ahead rocker. Just a good song, great groove, awesome riffs. But Barstool Warrior, At Wit’s End... just sounds like more of the same stuff we’ve had since the self-titled album. And after The Astonishing...I’m just ready for them to drop the Disney sound.

This makes me feel sort of like I would feel if someone complained "I'm tired of Dream Theater combining metal and prog."

I have 10 Dream Theater albums texting me this morning letting me know that they would like to have a word with you.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2019, 07:58:59 AM »
Really, really sick of "Disney" being used in a derogatory fashion especially when it comes to progressive/power metal.

Thank you! And to everyone else who seems to have come out of the woodwork against this utterly stupid "Disney" tag. Where was all this during The Astonishing album cycle?

You're being serious, aren't you?
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline DT1138

« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2019, 05:40:46 PM »
Considering Disney is pretty much buying up (and surviving off of) other existing franchises and putting out very little original work these days, I would almost be willing to argue Disney is copying other works instead of the other way around. 

Regardless...the "lightest", "happiest" chorus on D/T is easily Barstool Warrior.  Dominant chords in there are F/Fm to C Major, which has to be the happiest-sounding chord known to mankind.  The chorus is pretty, it's glorious, and it almost strikes me as odd (ironic?) since the lyrics suggest something darker.

But is it flat out "Disney"?  Um no, just no.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2019, 06:53:07 PM »
Barstool Warrior and At Wit’s End sounding Disney ... what in the what now?! That is not even close at being accurate imo.

I don't get the Disney connection either. I think it's like when people just use "hipster" as an insult for anything they don't like even if it hardly has anything to do with "hipsterism".
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2019, 07:58:45 PM »
Well you know everything has to be dark and gritty and nihilistic to be cool these days  ::)

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2019, 08:19:44 PM »
Anyone else ... sick of these clickbait thread titles?  How 'bout a full subject matter in the title?

Anyway, I certainly understand the "sounds like Disney" critique, but in my opinion, this has been very exciting territory for DT to explore. I mean, not enough Phrygian riffs in their career?  How many times can they return to that well?