Poll

What is your opinion of this song?

Love it ('wow")
Like it a lot
Good song, but nothing special
It's okay
Don't like it

Voting closes: December 12, 2024, 07:17:31 PM

Author Topic: S2N discussion thread (with poll)  (Read 5324 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: S2N discussion thread (with poll)
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2019, 07:26:17 AM »
 A top track for me, I would rank it below AWE, but this is a fantastic song.  Definitely has the strongest chorus on the album IMO so thats a huge check for singing along.  The instrumental part is so fun and awesome, feels fresh too.  The wow is well placed and used too.  I played this song for my gf who can't stand DT, but even she was like "wow, I don't like their songs, but the instrumental part was actually really cool" which kind of says something if it can resonate with someone who likes Ariana Grande  :lol

Offline evilasiojr

« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2019, 08:49:31 AM »
I don't know if somebody has already mentioned this, if yes, sorry for the double post.

One of my favorite parts of this song is in the outro, when the guys are grooving for JR solo, and there's this cool fill that they do every second time around they play the main riff. This palm muting on guitar and bass drum thing where they go adding a tempo, from 1 to 4 till the end of the outro. It's soooo groovy and at the same time musically nerd, I just love it  :hefdaddy

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2019, 10:24:54 AM »
  I played this song for my gf who can't stand DT, but even she was like "wow, I don't like their songs, but the instrumental part was actually really cool" which kind of says something if it can resonate with someone who likes Ariana Grande  :lol
If I had a gf that couldn't stand DT, she wouldn't be my gf anymore.. :biggrin: 
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2019, 05:19:27 PM »
I really like every song on the album, but to be honest, S2N has had the lowest initial impact on me. For every other song, after one listen, I was like, "Okay, so this is what makes this song unique and different," some kind of quality or passage, or stylistic choice, something. But with S2N, aside from "wow" and that spoken word intro, nothing about it stood out for me. That being said, like with anything you listen to enough times, I'm finally starting to pick out its nuances and appreciating it for a lot more than just, "a consistently good song that doesn't detract from the flow of the album as I get from Room 137 to At Wit's End".
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2019, 08:05:05 PM »
What’s not to love?  The chorus really stands out for me.  James sounds great and the song just flat out rocks.  :tup
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline xanman2112

Subtle "Wow" at 4:01 in S2n?
« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2019, 12:34:25 PM »
Sorry if this has already been posted, but has anyone else heard a very subtle "wow" at the 4:01 mark in the song S2n?  I've listened to this over and over and I'm convinced it sounds like Owen Wilson.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 01:00:28 PM by xanman2112 »

Offline The Letter M

Re: Subtle "Wow" at 4:01 in S2n?
« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2019, 12:49:33 PM »
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Fritzinger

Re: Subtle "Wow" at 4:01 in S2n?
« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2019, 12:50:09 PM »
Can we move this into the S2N thread? Not sure we need another thread for a "wow" at 4:01.

Anyway, I heard that too! Several Youtube comments suggest Owen Wilson. I also heard an interview with JP, where the interviewer asked something like "can I ask you about a fan-theory?" and JP said "does it include Owen Wilson?". So maybe he thought the interviewer would go on to ask him about the "wow".
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Öxölklöfför

• Pull my finger, I'm not afraid.
« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2019, 03:35:55 AM »
Can anyone tell me the time signature of the intro riff? For some reason I can't figure it out. I believe that the first part is 10/16, but I'm not sure.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2019, 08:34:33 AM »
Can anyone tell me the time signature of the intro riff? For some reason I can't figure it out. I believe that the first part is 10/16, but I'm not sure.

Sounds like a very syncopated riff in 7/4.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Jay T

• Old Fart
« Reply #45 on: March 12, 2019, 12:32:17 PM »
I absolutely love this song! To me, it reminds me a lot of Falling Into Infinity, which is one of my favorite DT albums :)
I don't know what to write for my signature, so this will have to suffice for now.

Offline Anxiety35

« Reply #46 on: March 15, 2019, 12:08:05 PM »
Does the first 10 seconds of S2N's music give a nod to the beginning of Megadeth's "Peace Sells" song? That's the first thing I thought when I first heard the song.

Anyway, almost a month into the release of D/T and I think this is my favorite song on the album.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #47 on: March 15, 2019, 12:49:20 PM »
I like it a LOT. The bass riff is really cool sounding, and love the chorus. Really a rock solid song, and I hope they play it live.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #48 on: March 19, 2019, 06:58:17 PM »
Like it a lot after the fourth time.

Test For Echo.

Offline RipRokken

« Reply #49 on: March 27, 2019, 08:39:20 PM »
I love S2N — to me at least, it seems to have a lot of Rush inspiration in it, like “Surrender to Reason” did on the 2013 S/T album.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #50 on: March 28, 2019, 03:18:40 PM »
I like it a lot, but I imagine it would be tough to pull off live just because some of the vocal sections feel kind of busy and hard to sing. 
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #51 on: April 22, 2019, 04:15:39 PM »
I love the bass intro.  For some reason the intro sounds like the beginning of a sit some intro song, but I cannot remember which sit com.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #52 on: April 22, 2019, 04:55:40 PM »
I love the bass intro.  For some reason the intro sounds like the beginning of a sit some intro song, but I cannot remember which sit com.
Seinfeld?  :biggrin:

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #53 on: April 23, 2019, 03:43:48 AM »
Yes, I believe that it was Seinfeld.  I did not watch the show much but remembered the bass line.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #54 on: April 23, 2019, 06:04:53 AM »
The "Are we paying attention, or are we drifting..." bit at the beginning always gets me singing "Are we human or are we dancers..."
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #55 on: April 23, 2019, 04:23:53 PM »
The poll definitely shows why this is a tier 1 song through the first 6 weeks of DT: The League.  :tup
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White