Poll

What is your opinion of this song?

Love it ('wow")
Like it a lot
Good song, but nothing special
It's okay
Don't like it

Voting closes: December 12, 2024, 07:17:31 PM

Author Topic: S2N discussion thread (with poll)  (Read 5399 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
S2N discussion thread (with poll)
« on: March 02, 2019, 07:17:31 PM »
Time for chatter on this rocker, with a poll for fun as well.

Seems like the "wow" moment is all anyone talks about in regards to this song, which is a shame because this song is really quite good.  It has one of the best choruses on the record. I am not overly crazy about that outro (JR noodling like that is often more miss than hit for me), but the rest of the song is good enough to where I can deal with it.  I do think it could have been a great song with a better ending, though.

Offline Trav86

Re: S2N discussion thread (with poll)
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2019, 07:35:27 PM »
Love it! Lyrically the verses are quite different than the normal Myung style. Nothing wrong with that though.  The chorus is awesome, and musically its really fun.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2019, 07:43:15 PM »
Love it! And those drums and bass... :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy
I think the finale is terrific, but the rest of the song is still better, because it's just so incredible good. The similarity of its outro with the TDEN outro to me is a good thing - I love that outro - and it was only the second time in their discography that they did something similar, so I don't think it's a thing overused by them.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2019, 07:47:55 PM »
I like it a lot. The riff is really cool, the bass riff opening the track is fresh, since DT doesn't do that too often. There's a few things I would have changed. I would get rid of that "Are we paying attention" part at the beginning and just have that instrumental bit, because that bass riff is so great, and Mangini playing over it gets ruined by that vocal effect.

The vocal effects also kind of ruined the "Shocking truth/climate change" section because it kinda sounds like a jumbled mess at least to my ears

But, it's a real rocker. That outro guitar riff is just monstrous. I do agree with you about JR's part on the outro. Maybe if he had used a different sound, I would have liked it, but he seems to just reuse the same sounds over and over. Really, for me, JR is the weak link on the album because he didn't do anything different, there just seems to be the obligatory JR noodle spot and his usual patches.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2019, 08:50:11 PM »
Love it! One of the best songs on the album, and the best chorus, definitely. Top performance by all the 5 guys :metal
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2019, 09:01:39 PM »
My favorite song in the album. This has the drumming that puts to rest all the critiques against Mangini (no groove, does not play ghost notes on the snare, does not open and close hi-hats).

I love the backstory that Myung's killer bass riff was the first thing they heard in the recording session. That is how excited Myung was and it shows.

JP's solo is exquisite.

JLB shines in the chorus.

JR's mood music is spot on. I love his solo on the end because it's not just wank. There's a lot of structure in there.

And I love the drumming in the outro. It is so...muscular? I can't find the exact term. LOL. And MM, JM and JP showed a lot of chemistry that you can sense the fun in the riffing variations.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 10:12:00 PM by erwinrafael »

Online geeeemo

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2019, 09:36:58 PM »
I like it, it rocks. I like the ending. I just don't care for the vocal melody as much. This could change over time.

Offline Stewie

• Evil Baby
  • Banned
  • Football for a head
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2019, 09:51:53 PM »
It’s definitely the best song on the album.
Trapped inside this sit-com-va-ri-um!

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2019, 10:06:19 PM »
It's great, I love it!  The song does have the WOW factor, so that subtle "wow" is appropriate.
 I think it would have been funnier if they had Butthead saying " Whoa!" instead.  :lol

In all seriousness though, this song absolutely rocks and is a top tier DT song. I love the overall sound of all the instruments, and JLB kills it!
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2019, 10:45:41 PM »
At this point a week out of the gate, it's a "good song, nothing special." Other songs on the album have resonated much more with me. The music is good, though again not as good as much of the rest of the CD); the vocal melodies are very underwhelming.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2019, 12:33:58 AM »
It's a very solid tune, especially TDEN like outri  :metal :metal

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2019, 12:39:11 AM »
Wow.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2019, 05:17:06 AM »
Absolutely magnificent track. The beginning with Chycki's spoken vocals reminds me a bit of Rush's song Double Agent. The first time I heard it, the chorus immediately struck me as an all-time classic DT chorus that I can imagine being a big moment at the live shows.

Offline krands85

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2019, 06:07:56 AM »
At this point a week out of the gate, it's a "good song, nothing special." Other songs on the album have resonated much more with me. The music is good, though again not as good as much of the rest of the CD); the vocal melodies are very underwhelming.
Similar thoughts here. It hasn't quite clicked with me like it has with others, but there's still time. But right now it's middle of the pack I guess.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2019, 07:45:48 AM »
I think it's not just one of the best songs on the album, but for me it is also one of the craziest and most insane songs they've ever written, and a joy to listen to. I love how, amid the technical insanity, this breathtaking chorus just flies in out of nowhere, and I found the chord changes during the chorus to be really unique and unpredictable. One of their best songs ever, IMO.

Offline porcacultor

« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2019, 11:04:10 AM »
Absolutely magnificent track. The beginning with Chycki's spoken vocals reminds me a bit of Rush's song Double Agent. The first time I heard it, the chorus immediately struck me as an all-time classic DT chorus that I can imagine being a big moment at the live shows.

Could you point me to where you found out that it was Chycki doing those spoken vocals? Is that in the booklet or something? Really cool info!

The "Shocking Truth" part is really interesting in that they made LaBrie's voice thicker alternating with the unfiltered "Innocent die!", it's like many versions of JLB.

Offline Lax

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2019, 11:30:09 AM »
I love it, it was my first love on the album!
I love the rythm pattern, I love the singing and the chorus completely different.
The false ending with the wow.
The solos etc...
Only the outro riff is questionable tho enjoyable
EBMM JP12 Cherry Sugar + JP7 Pearl Redburst
Axe FX 2 XL+ & MFC101 MK3 & Roland EV5
Boss WL-50, Morpheus droptune, G-Lab Wowee Wah, 2x Yamaha HS7, Sennheiser HD25 SP2 & Jamhub Bedroom
https://www.facebook.com/Laxthestampede/

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2019, 12:25:41 PM »

Could you point me to where you found out that it was Chycki doing those spoken vocals? Is that in the booklet or something? Really cool info!

I wanted to ask the same thing. Rich recorded James’ vocals in Canada, so he was involved in the production anyway. Very cool if he did.

Actually, IIRC, Rich did the spoken word intro to TA Live, which they intended to include in the album, but couldn’t because Disc 1 was already full.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline CirclesSquared

« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2019, 12:55:42 PM »
When James sings "Have you heard the news?", I still half-expect him to continue with "The dogs are dead"  :lol (ten prog stars to all who know what the hell I am talking about)

Anyhow, a killer song. Top 3 off the album. That intro and outro are definitely among band's best, plus that LTE section.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2019, 09:04:26 AM »
The song was a grower for me.  I remember in one of the pre-release interviews that either JM or JP was describing what the song was about, and I immediately fell in love with the concept and looked forward to hearing the song.  First time I heard it, I was actually a bit disappointed and felt like, although I wanted to like it, it wasn't clicking for me.  But a few more listens, and it feel into place.  Maybe it was just a bit too busy for me to figure out what was going on during the first listen.  But as it stands now, I love it.  One of my favorites on the album for sure.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2019, 09:10:48 AM »
Right now, it's probably my favorite one of the album, but Paralyzed and Pale Blue Dot are also pretty close. One thing I like about it is that I feel like it's the first time since like Falling Into Infinity that we've gotten a song that I'd qualify as groovy. I never had a problem with Mangini, but is really nice to see and hear that side of of him. He's just amazing on that song.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2019, 09:31:42 AM »
I love this song. Definitely one of my favorites off the new record.

Offline Learning2Live

« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2019, 11:28:22 AM »
Right now, it's probably my favorite one of the album, but Paralyzed and Pale Blue Dot are also pretty close. One thing I like about it is that I feel like it's the first time since like Falling Into Infinity that we've gotten a song that I'd qualify as groovy. I never had a problem with Mangini, but is really nice to see and hear that side of of him. He's just amazing on that song.

Love the groove on this song too, and it's my favorite track off of the new album. It instantly attracted me to the song. Really hoping that it's on the setlist for the upcoming tour!

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2019, 11:33:28 AM »
I love the song

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2019, 11:57:18 AM »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline rab7

« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2019, 12:02:34 PM »
Really, for me, JR is the weak link on the album because he didn't do anything different, there just seems to be the obligatory JR noodle spot and his usual patches.

JR's role in this album is anything but weak. Less prominent? Sure, but calling him "the weak link" implies that his presence on the album as a whole just detracts from the entire experience. I agree that his outro solo on this song does nothing for me, but his organ playing throughout the album is fantastic, and the supporting piano parts elsewhere, especially Paralyzed and That Solo in At Wit's End, are absolutely phenomenal

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2019, 12:41:23 PM »
Really, for me, JR is the weak link on the album because he didn't do anything different, there just seems to be the obligatory JR noodle spot and his usual patches.

JR's role in this album is anything but weak. Less prominent? Sure, but calling him "the weak link" implies that his presence on the album as a whole just detracts from the entire experience. I agree that his outro solo on this song does nothing for me, but his organ playing throughout the album is fantastic, and the supporting piano parts elsewhere, especially Paralyzed and That Solo in At Wit's End, are absolutely phenomenal

This is spot on. His piano and organ work on this record is great, super complimentary.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2019, 06:36:47 AM »
If JP said in an interview that this song was written for FII and never recorded, I'd believe him.

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2019, 06:56:50 AM »
I wish they turned the keys up... there is some awesome sound effect stuff that jr is doing on this track but it’s very much in the background.   

It totally reminds me of a song from 6doit, the only thing missing is a vibrant soundscape and it’s because the keys are low in the mix.

I do love the song though!   The stretch from paralyzed to vk is such a joy. :laugh:

Offline RandalGraves

« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2019, 08:08:29 AM »
If JP said in an interview that this song was written for FII and never recorded, I'd believe him.

I absolutely see that. The song feels like LTE mixed with New Millennium.

I like the track a lot.  I actually wish it was the opener of the album.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2019, 08:21:47 AM »

I agree, I said before, this album hits me as a blending of ToT heaviness and FII vibe and feel.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2019, 08:34:44 AM »
I wish they turned the keys up... there is some awesome sound effect stuff that jr is doing on this track but it’s very much in the background.   

It totally reminds me of a song from 6doit, the only thing missing is a vibrant soundscape and it’s because the keys are low in the mix.

I do love the song though!   The stretch from paralyzed to vk is such a joy. :laugh:
I prefer the keys lower in the mix, that's what it calls for since it is a heavier guitar and bass driven song. The keys play a supporting role, yet they are still present. JP's guitar tone is bad-ass on this record, it does not need to be drown out by keys trying to compete with it.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Iceyice

« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2019, 03:44:37 PM »
James' vocals are just unreal on this.
The chorus just cuts right through me.
As an R & B fan, that groove just hits home.
Ive seen at least 4 reaction vids already and they are all floored.
#RESPEK to the mighty DT
'Just when you're through hanging on......you're saved.....'

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2019, 08:01:22 PM »
That awesome guitar solo in the middle, I wish JP would have stuck with the type of stuff he was playing in the first half instead of switching to generic shred. Still cool.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2019, 07:10:54 AM »
This track is incredibly fun, and the outro jam where Rudess gets to shred is probably the first time I've ever made a stank face while listening to a DT album.  They must have recorded the outro after eating some bbq and having a few beers, because I can hear the chicken grease permeating that whole part.  JP, JM and MM are locked in, and Jordan plays some nasty licks.  My favorite moment on DOT. 
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.