Author Topic: SFaM Revisited  (Read 831 times)

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
SFaM Revisited
« on: March 02, 2019, 05:33:06 PM »
I listen to A LOT of music. A LOT. I work from my writing studio all day. So, generally speaking, unless I'm hyper focused and immersed in research, it's an absolute necessity for me throughout the day. Much like the need for oxygen to breathe, I must listen to music. Typically, I will keep something in my rotation for 50 or so listens before I move on to something else. Sometimes listening to the same passage hundreds of times. I'm sure I'm not alone around here with that pattern. Probably for most of us who share an emotional connection with progressive music, it has an ability to connect with and move us emotionally more so than others.

I've been listening to the new record like that a lot lately. I think it's great. But something happened today. I was streaming the record, again; and got distracted with the UPS guy at the door. When I returned to my studio, M:p2 SFaM came on. I don't think I've listened to that record in it's entirety in several years now, if I'm honest. It immediately hit me like a ton of bricks. Much like it did the very first time I heard it way back in '99.

So, I paused what I was doing, long enough to dig out the CD so that I could hear it the way God intended, put the dogs in the library, turned the volume selector to 10, and hit "play".

DT is great. I've followed this band since WDaDU, and have been around here since the EZBoard days. But when they are really great---they are really, really great. I mean really great. What a fantastic fucking record. Still, all these years later.

There are dozens of records that I feel that way about, but I had forgotten how charged that record made me feel. Until the first notes of that strumming guitar came into focus. Then it all flooded back.

What records haven't you had a listen to in a while that when you return still hits you that same way?
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Re: SFaM Revisited
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2019, 05:38:38 PM »
I love SFaM and I got tickets to this tour specifically so that I can see it live.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2019, 05:40:53 PM »
My SFAM um..memory actually has more to do with Live Scenes. When my oldest son was a baby, he would get up in the middle of the night. He and I spent dozens of "middle of the nights"  with the Live Scenes DVD.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Trav86

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2019, 06:54:52 PM »
My SFAM um..memory actually has more to do with Live Scenes. When my oldest son was a baby, he would get up in the middle of the night. He and I spent dozens of "middle of the nights"  with the Live Scenes DVD.

I had this exact experience with my son, except it was Breaking the Foirth Wall.  As far as ‘Scenes’, it’s an awesome record. It stands up up so well over time. And I can’t believe I’ve been listening to it for 20 fucking years!! That also means my fandom is 20 years old this year!
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline brents319

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2019, 07:42:46 PM »
I revisit this album regularly.  The funny thing is when it first came out I was a little indifferent towards it.  I eventually recognized my complete insanity on the topic.  I am super happy it will be played on this tour. :metal