Author Topic: Pale Blue Dot - Appreciation & Discussion Thread  (Read 8433 times)

Online The Letter M

Pale Blue Dot - Appreciation & Discussion Thread
« on: February 28, 2019, 10:57:11 PM »
Since I just recently updated my pinned Index Of Albums & Songs thread and added some entries for d/t, I realized there wasn't a dedicated thread for PBD yet, so I decided to start it here!

I've been enjoying this song since day one, and there's a LOT to love about it. The atmospheric opening complete with radio chatter really sets the mood for the idea of the song. Then we get that blistering riff in 19/16, with some tasty druMMing and a crunchy guitar riff from JP. The whole intro sounds like it could've been a LOT long if this were a 15-minute epic, but it's cut down quite nicely and flows well.

The verse and chorus area pretty strong, too, especially the last line of the chorus, which really makes us ponder our place in the universe, if we are truly alone, are we then doomed to our own failures? Then we move into the bridge and instrumental break, which is probably some of the best on the album! They dive back into the 19/16 riff before going into a 5/4 in triplets, which transforms into 3 groups of triplets as quintuplets in 3 (gotta love metric modulation), a trick they used before in the middle of "In The Name Of God". Then we get the jarring, but awesome climbing riff that then has a weird slow-down riff followed by it, with Mangini doing some fills around the tempo and time, very spacey stuff! The rest of the instrumental break continues with another fast climbing riff before heading back into familiar grooves before the final chorus!

Ahhh what a song, the closing epic this album deserves, especially with that closing guitar solo! Those near eight-and-a-half minutes are something special, and I'm sure it'll be a real treat if/when it's played live! I hope this one becomes a concert staple, and that we get one good live release of it!

So, who else wants to gush about this song? :metal

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Fritzinger

Re: Pale Blue Dot - Appreciation & Discussion Thread
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2019, 11:06:16 PM »
Pale Blue Dot is probably my favorite song on Distance! Mangini's playing is out of this world. I think the lyrics are very interesting, too.
I love The Astonishing, but 1 or 2 songs of PBD's caliber could have made that album even more awesome ;)
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2019, 11:18:27 PM »

Then we get the jarring, but awesome climbing riff that then has a weird slow-down riff followed by it

If that weird slow down riff is the one I'm thinking of, that's one of the most bad-ass moments on the record. It only goes one measure then they go back into a chaotic section immediately and that dark heavy riff is gone forever. I was hoping to hear at least one or two more times.
 PBD is just what we needed from Dream Theater,  probably will end up being my favorite track in the long run and a top tier DT song!   :metal
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Lax

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2019, 11:26:40 PM »
I love PBD, but it's as complicated to explain all the reasons why than to play it :D

-Mostly it's dance of eternity quality to me
-The Space + sinister ambiance is great, they didn't go half way
-The solo section is the kind of prog pandemonium I like
-The "god creators" chorus is epic and gloriously grim

I can understand the "too short" vibe, but perhaps diluting in over 20 minutes would have been "tiring" or adding a movement to the song that feels unrelated etc...
EBMM JP12 Cherry Sugar + JP7 Pearl Redburst
Axe FX 2 XL+ & MFC101 MK3 & Roland EV5
Boss WL-50, Morpheus droptune, G-Lab Wowee Wah, 2x Yamaha HS7, Sennheiser HD25 SP2 & Jamhub Bedroom
https://www.facebook.com/Laxthestampede/

Offline illusionist

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2019, 01:20:40 AM »
The song is technical and played on a 7 string,which i like both.Some great riffs as well.
But i can't 'get' it (yet..??)
It seems to me that it's one dimensional.It lacks dynamics,which i clearly don't like.
And it's the only song on DoT which falls under this category.
Plus,on my first listens it sounded like some parts were put together with some other parts,without these parts mix well.
But i think i am over this by now.
Maybe live it will sound better to my ears or more cohesive.
I am glad for those who already like it,it's just that i expected/wanted something a tad more emotional for the closer.

Offline erciccio

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2019, 02:23:26 AM »
Masterpiece.

It took me a long time to digest it, and the initial reaction was "meeeeehhhh"

The intro is super amazing. A 19/16 riff with incredible dynamics and groove.
Mangin's drumming is phenomenal throughout the song
The melodies are very sinister but once you get used to them they are just beautiful
The instrumental section just feels like a trip on a spaceship going adrift...

And THERE IS a structure...there are basically 4 themes/ riffs throughout  the song that reappear, and they are actually well connected. It just takes a while to get it.

Super thumbs up!

v :tup :tup :tup
Ora che ho perso la vista,ci vedo di più

Offline oceanic156

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2019, 03:03:54 AM »
Pale Blue Dot is incredible; my favorite on the album, narrowly ahead of At Wit's End.

Very heavy yet very dynamic and fresh in its presentation. Instead of being built around a 'riff' like Room 137, the rhythm section takes hold early on and drives the evolution of the track (which is quite complex, yet never loses its intensity). It feels like a powerful, lean DT epic that's been stripped of all repetition and superfluous writing.

Drum-wise, I think this is Mangini's best composition ever with the band. So many creative ideas played so well. It easily stacks up with the best drum work of the band's career.

Love the imagery of the song too.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 04:29:53 AM by oceanic156 »

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2019, 03:13:12 AM »
If you watch how Pale Blue Dot's drums is played, you would notice that a lot of the drumming in the instrumental are elements of Mangini's drum solos in concerts.

Offline erciccio

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2019, 03:31:11 AM »
If you watch how Pale Blue Dot's drums is played, you would notice that a lot of the drumming in the instrumental are elements of Mangini's drum solos in concerts.

Yeah, correct. I was watching a "fake"* drum cover and I noticed that...
There is also another nice example of "double snare roll"..:)

* The guy actually mimicked the song almost perfectly, but his mics were clearly off and used the original drum track...a couple of misses revealed the cheat
Pity, because he can clearly play it but probably was not happy still with his dynamics, but rushed to be the 1st on the web..:)
Ora che ho perso la vista,ci vedo di più

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2019, 04:50:33 AM »
This song is the biggest grower of the album.  It's a weird one in relation to structure and melodies but it works.

I don't get why they didn't make James redo the word 'worship' in the first chorus.  Did everyone miss his voice waver?
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline krands85

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2019, 05:29:22 AM »
My favourite song on the album thus far and unlike a lot of others, I liked it from the start, whereas a lot of the other tracks have had to grow on me. I guess there's just a lot of what I love about the band in there, more than any of the other tracks. I also really like what Jordan's doing in this one and the sounds he's using, especially after the rest of the album where he isn't quite as prominent.

Would have been nice if it was longer (though I could say that for lots of DT songs  :lol ), though that doesn't necessarily mean it should have been a 15 or 20 minute+ song. Even just a couple more minutes would have been great, but it works very well as it is.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2019, 06:52:37 AM »
It has been said before here, but I just wanted to add that that "mini drum solo" with the slow down-part is one of my favorite parts of the album as well. The way how MM just introduces a new metrum/tempo for like 2-3 seconds and then immediately went back to the original tempo is just amazing. When I heard that for the first time, I was all "oh man I REALLY want to know where he's going with this!".

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2019, 07:06:52 AM »
Great song.
With consequent listens I got to see what everybody's saying about similarities to The Dance of Eternity.
The only flaw I see in Pale Blue Dot is an annoying one; the transition between the piece at 6:05 to the one at 6:06. I think it's reminiscent of the transition in The Dance of Eternity between 3:34 to 3:35, only the transition in Pale Blue Dot fails horribly, it needed minor tweaking to be as amazing as The Dance of Eternity one, which I consider to be one of their best transitions ever.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2019, 07:23:20 AM »
2nd favorite from the album, and possibly top 20 overall in terms of DT discography (That might change).

To be honest, it's not at all what I expected the song to be. When i saw the title "Pale Blue Dot" I got very excited because of Carl Sagan. Then I heard people talking about it. I got a chance to talk to Petrucci during NAMM and he told me it was his favorite from the album. Because of all this I was expecting something heavy, but not as technical.

But then I listened to the song and it was different, but in an awesome way. It takes a dark vibe from Carl Sagan's Pale Blue Dot and turns it into an awesome, powerful, riff driven masterpiece. I understand why some here don't like it but it sure is a great song.

Favorite part is at 1:46, that riff feels so powerful  :metal
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2019, 08:26:19 AM »
This song is the biggest grower of the album.  It's a weird one in relation to structure and melodies but it works.

That's how I feel about this one too. Definitely a grower for me, and I really like it now.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2019, 08:41:17 AM »
This song is one of their greatest. It's that good.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2019, 08:47:03 AM »
It has been said before here, but I just wanted to add that that "mini drum solo" with the slow down-part is one of my favorite parts of the album as well. The way how MM just introduces a new metrum/tempo for like 2-3 seconds and then immediately went back to the original tempo is just amazing. When I heard that for the first time, I was all "oh man I REALLY want to know where he's going with this!".

Yup, that's the highlight of the song for me. It has this raw energy, some sort of improvisational feel that I really did not expect in a highly technical song..

Offline the_silent_man

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2019, 09:20:12 AM »
Love the song. It's epic, heavy, technical as hell. The chorus has one of the darkest/most evil vibes they've had in years.

However...
The one thing I feel about this song (and to a lesser extent At Wits End) is that they feel almost incomplete. This in particular is so awesome but I feel it had much more to give - which with another 2-3 minutes could be achieved. After the crazy instrumental section is complete, we're straight back into the last chorus and only 2 mins left. I would have liked maybe 1 more verse then a chorus reprise before the solo.
Maybe I'm just being greedy. To me this song is screaming to be 10-12mins.

Ironically, I was initially concerned about the all track lengths being short, but it works perfectly in almost every song EXCEPT the 2 'epics' for me. I think the short songs on the disk are a perfect length, and do a better job than DT12's similarly length songs in being more ballsy, inspired and packing more classic DT into their lengths.
The 2 longer songs seem *slightly* underdeveloped to me, as if their potential has been cut short by aiming for shorter songs.

This is a minor gripe for me, however. I probably am just being greedy as I do love both PBD and AWE.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2019, 10:13:48 AM »
I love it. It's taken me a week to get there but it might be my favourite on the album.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2019, 11:06:37 AM »
I love it. It's taken me a week to get there but ...

...AWE is still my favorite. Anyways, PBD is a fantastic song as well.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2019, 11:38:20 AM »
Great song.
With consequent listens I got to see what everybody's saying about similarities to The Dance of Eternity.
The only flaw I see in Pale Blue Dot is an annoying one; the transition between the piece at 6:05 to the one at 6:06. I think it's reminiscent of the transition in The Dance of Eternity between 3:34 to 3:35, only the transition in Pale Blue Dot fails horribly, it needed minor tweaking to be as amazing as The Dance of Eternity one, which I consider to be one of their best transitions ever.

Interesting. That (or the few seconds before that) is exactly the part I was talking about. And I called it the best part of the song  :lol

Offline Dreamer

« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2019, 11:55:30 AM »
It took me a while too but now I think this is a great track.

Offline RAIN

« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2019, 12:35:35 PM »
I love the Star Wars Imperial March riff at 2:03.....that sells it totally for me.

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2019, 02:54:19 PM »
Favourite song on the album. I wasn't keen on it for the first few listens (largely because it was so different to what I was expecting; if anything I expected this song would be what Barstool Warrior sounds like). But there's so much in here and it's the song I keep coming back to. Like a lot of people have said, I initially wished it had been a couple of minutes longer. Now I don't. Its 'compactness' is a large part of its brilliance. When it's over I want to play it again, in fact I usually end up spinning this tune 3 or 4 times in a row (as I'm doing now as I write this).

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2019, 06:19:22 PM »
Great song.

Interesting. That (or the few seconds before that) is exactly the part I was talking about. And I called it the best part of the song  :lol

Haha naah don't get me wrong, the part you're talking about and the one after that are both awesome, it's the bad/lack of transition that bugs me.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2019, 11:58:19 AM »
I really like it, but for sure it’s been the track that’s taken me longest to appreciate.

Perhaps it was my expectation of what an album closing epic should be, but at first listen, I found the sinister vibe a little off putting. I was expecting something that presented the wonder of space travel, the size of the universe and all that. Instead, it’s more of a stark reminder of how insignificant we are, and how it’s up to us to sort out our own squabbles etc.

Once I got my head around the theme, it helped to appreciate the song a lot better.  The music is great. I love the intro, with the samples and synth, then the thundering drums and guitar.

It feels to me like a condensed mini-epic. It’s like DT took their usual formula for an album closing epic and turned it in its head.

Offline Stewie

• Evil Baby
  • Banned
  • Football for a head
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2019, 05:07:54 PM »
It’s terrible. Absolute garbage. None of the transitions make sense, at all. None of it flows. It all feels very forced. Technical for technical sake, and shitty songwriting. One of the worst songs they’ve ever released. It’s embarrasing.
Trapped inside this sit-com-va-ri-um!

Offline Learning2Live

« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2019, 06:44:27 PM »
This one hasn't hit with me yet. I think it's one of the weakest album closers in their catalog of the longer/epic closers (this and In the Presence of Enemies 2 are probably at the bottom of my closers list). Not to say it's a bad song. But just not one that has wow'd me to this point.

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2019, 06:50:00 PM »
I love it now... at first I thought and even said on this board “what were they thinking” but it’s really clicked for me. 

The whole mood of the song is very cool and the space vibe is well done.  The instrumental section feels like spiraling out of control in space, I love it now.  The only thing I don’t love in the song is the chorus as it reminds me of systematic chaos too much but outside of that it’s awesome.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2019, 07:29:27 PM »
This one hasn't hit with me yet. I think it's one of the weakest album closers in their catalog of the longer/epic closers (this and In the Presence of Enemies 2 are probably at the bottom of my closers list). Not to say it's a bad song. But just not one that has wow'd me to this point.

Its likely since 8vm (might even be 6DOIT) we've been given 20-min epics as the last on the albums. This is the first album since Scenes where we haven't had an album closer over 10 min.

It's almost a shock to us DT fans...
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2019, 07:32:51 PM »
I just think that we've heard that "epic outro" solo from JP a million times. 8V, ITPOE, IT...

There's just no climax. They should've called it Pale Blue Balls.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2019, 08:12:18 PM »
 :lol
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline bill1971

« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2019, 08:58:41 PM »
It’s terrible. Absolute garbage. None of the transitions make sense, at all. None of it flows. It all feels very forced. Technical for technical sake, and shitty songwriting. One of the worst songs they’ve ever released. It’s embarrasing.

Plus I feel like I'm listening to a Disney movie soundtrack. :)
Seriously though I can see not liking it but embarrassing?? I don't think any group of musicians that can come up with that song should be embarrassed.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 09:08:52 PM by bill1971 »

Offline bill1971

« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2019, 09:03:20 PM »
Pale Blue Dot is incredible; my favorite on the album, narrowly ahead of At Wit's End.

Very heavy yet very dynamic and fresh in its presentation. Instead of being built around a 'riff' like Room 137, the rhythm section takes hold early on and drives the evolution of the track (which is quite complex, yet never loses its intensity). It feels like a powerful, lean DT epic that's been stripped of all repetition and superfluous writing.

Drum-wise, I think this is Mangini's best composition ever with the band. So many creative ideas played so well. It easily stacks up with the best drum work of the band's career.

Love the imagery of the song too.

Well said. It's such a fantastic mix of heavy and complex. I'd say the best drumming on any DT song. Plus I love Labrie's singing. So sinister. Really the perfect song.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2019, 09:08:05 PM »
I like this song, but I can't say I love it.  I agree with the sentiment that it feels a bit undercooked, almost like it is missing a verse or something.  As is, like I said, I like it, but it is definitely a song that leaves you with a bit of musical blue balls.