Author Topic: The TAC Anonymous Roulette v.3 Opposites Attract Blue Balls Have Been Relieved  (Read 140292 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The TAC Anonymous Roulette v.3 Opposites Attract Moonsults
« Reply #1365 on: March 26, 2019, 02:48:42 PM »
Pretty sure mine is "glad someone sent this band"  :corn
Mostly because I think the first bits of the song would be the hardest sell for you but pretty much the entire back half feels more up your alley

You are correct. Except it wasn't just the first bits, it was the first damn 5 minutes!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The TAC Anonymous Roulette v.3 Opposites Attract Moonsults
« Reply #1366 on: March 26, 2019, 02:49:15 PM »
SUNsults

12. Elite...Perihelion Ship - New Sun/New Sun?

"I feel like this will need more listens. I did like it, though."

So there was some confusion on my part. Apparently the song submitted was New Sun with a "?". Unfortunately when I went on Spotify, I saw New Sun without the "?" and pout that in the playlist. I was corrected, but I felt bad because New Sun was the instant Round winner. But I checked out New Sun? and guess what...that wins the round too! I honestly couldn;t decide which one I liked better, but each of them, on their own, wins the round.

This album is on the list! Fantastic stuff.

11. Kattelox...Jorn - Sunset Station

"I'm on record as not being a fan, but this was......awesome!"

Wow, I really enjoyed this. And I am not a Jorn fan. But this song rocked and had a great pace. He really does have a great voice. Sometimes I feel like he's cursed because he really does sound like so many classic vocalists, conjuring David Coverdale and Paul Rodgers here. Maybe I'm too rough on him. I've always felt that he tries to hard to sound like certain people. Maybe it's not his fault.

10. Senecadawg2...Dan Swano - Sun Of The Night

"No idea what to expect on this one. Really cool musically."

I liked this song. Love the keyboards on this, and all of the instrumentation. I also like how the vocals didn't feel like a car accident. They were harsh, but not too harsh if you know what I mean. Not much else to say, but this song kicked ass.

9. Puppies On Acid...Pillorian - By The Light Of A Black Sun

"Very cool, man. For the most part, anyway."

Wow, there's a lot to chew on here. It's not that I didn't like it, which I did. It's just that I'm not sure it was nearly as pleasurable to listen to as a number of other songs in this round.

8. Evermind...Vanishing Point - Distant Is The Sun

"As expected. Pretty solid"

This song is really easy on the ears. I like the melodic chorus. It's pretty straight forward when compared to a lot of other songs here. A song like this can be hit and miss. But this one hits. When I compare it to the Age Of Artemis, I find the vocals on this so much better. Overall, it's a very solid song, and I mean that in a good way.

7. Kwyjibo...Down - Three Suns And One Star

"Much better than expected. Not sure how it's going to score though."

This song was a pleasant surprise. I honestly don't know the first thing about Down, but in my mind, I link them with the 90's-00's bands. Not sure if that's even fair. This song oozes Black Sabbath. There's a point at about the 2:52 mark where this mad Iommi riff comes in and totally changes the pace of the song. Very cool.

6. Stadler...Yes - Heart Of The Sunrise

"Sometimes if an obvious band is not banned, it's because I actually don't like them."

So ...Yes...where do I start? I have this song on the DT Uncovered CD. Apparently that's not the full version. This one has the fairy imp singing. The reason I like this is because I can clearly hear the old school drums and bass.
But my problem with yes is that I'm a metal guy and ...they are not. The musicianship is top notch, but the vocals and overall lack of heaviness will always drag them down for me.

5. Parama...Between The Buried And Me - Sun Of Nothing

"I'm glad someone sent this band. I liked it the more it went on. "

This song as a whole is a bit much to digest. I could honestly skip the first 5 minutes of this. Kind of like Kardashev in the last group. Love the mellow part around 8:00 mins in, and the outro is great. I would've loved to have heard a lot more of that kind of instrumentation rather than the onslaught of vocals.

4. Lethean...Katatonia - Ghost Of The Sun

"Much better, thank you."

This was miles better than the first two Katatonia songs I recieved. I really liked it until I got to the chorus. Honetly, I found it kind of off putting with the F bombs. Though musically, the chorus lets the song down too. But there's enough here to give them an honest shot post roulette.

3. Indiscipline...Age of Artemis - Under The Sun

"Nice. This hits the spot."

So this song had a lot in common stylistically with the Vanishing Point. But this song ultimately lacked the hook and the vocals weren't as strong. The breakdown and solo were ripping. I did like this song, but I think this will be buried by some of the competition. I'd check out more from this band though.

2. Wolfking...Behemoth - O Father O Satan O Sun

"Yeah, this was pretty damn good. I was expecting the worst."

So it's not that I didn't like this song, because I definitely did. But it reallt seemed kind of one dimensional. I was waiting for some really cool musical interlude to step in. Unfortunately the spoken word part at the end, while cool, wasn't nearly enough to really lift this song.

1. Kingshmegland...Sevendust-Blackout The Sun

"Unimpressive, as expected."

Cool ending, bro.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The TAC Anonymous Roulette v.3 Opposites Attract SUNsults
« Reply #1367 on: March 26, 2019, 02:56:46 PM »
What's weird with the Moon and Sun songs is that my First Listen impressions don't really jive with the final standings.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1368 on: March 26, 2019, 02:57:19 PM »
:2metal:

What are TAC points good for? Can I buy my way into Tim Trump's roulette's first place? Make Scoring Great Again!
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1369 on: March 26, 2019, 02:58:48 PM »
Round 4 Final Results

Elite..9..12..10.5
Kattelox..8..11..9.5
Parama..12..5..8.5
Kwyjibo..10..7..8.5
Wolfking..11..2..6.5
Evermind..5..8..6.5
Puppies..4..9..6.5
Stadler..6..6..6
Senecadawg2..1..10..5.5
Kingshmegland..7..1..4
Indiscipline..3..3..3
Lethean..2..4..3

Current Standings

Evermind-8.5+11.5+6.5+6.5=33
Puppies-8.5+7.5+9.5+6.5=32
Indiscipline-11.5+7+10+3=31.5
Wolfking-11.5+5+8.5+6.5=31.5
Kattelox-6.5+8.5+4+9.5=28.5
Parama-6+3.5+8.5+8.5=26.5
Lethean-3+11.5+7+3=24.5
Kingshmegland-6+10.5+4+4=24.5
Kwijibo-6+1.5+7.5+8.5=23.5
Stadler-3.5+5+6.5+6=21
Elite-1+5.5+1.5+10.5=18.5
Seneca-6+1.5+4.5+5.5=17.5

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1370 on: March 26, 2019, 03:00:28 PM »
I fully expected that.  I think I've pinpointed the type of growls you like Tim and I knew this wouldn't be one.  We are very similar in the growls we go for it seems.  Behemoth though especially that album The Satanist is something I normally wouldn't go, but for some reason I fucking love.  One of the more extreme bands I like, which is rare.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1371 on: March 26, 2019, 03:01:01 PM »
:2metal:

What are TAC points good for?

If it gets dark out, you can get one of these:

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1372 on: March 26, 2019, 03:01:48 PM »
I fully expected that.

I didn't. I had you with Dan Swano from the start. I was SHOCKED when Stadler sent the results back to me. Shocked!

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1373 on: March 26, 2019, 03:03:11 PM »
I fully expected that.

I didn't. I had you with Dan Swano from the start. I was SHOCKED when Stadler sent the results back to me. Shocked!

haha, wow.  What song did you think I almost sent?

Edited my post too to give you a little more info.  I do really like Dan Swano though.

I fully expected that.  I think I've pinpointed the type of growls you like Tim and I knew this wouldn't be one.  We are very similar in the growls we go for it seems.  Behemoth though especially that album The Satanist is something I normally wouldn't go, but for some reason I fucking love.  One of the more extreme bands I like, which is rare.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1374 on: March 26, 2019, 03:04:28 PM »
The Jorn was actually my third in line of songs to send.  But I still wanna keep pushing the boundaries here.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1375 on: March 26, 2019, 03:08:05 PM »
I didn't even see results. Second place! Fark yeah! My standing in the ranks seems to have improved a fair amount with these two songs.

I'm telling you, Jorn's solo stuff has some of my all-time favorite Jorn songs. Much more of a rock vibe, but if you like Sunset Station, I strongly suggest checking out the song Gate of Tears, it's one of his earlier and faster songs that's a solid headbanger and I think you'd love it. Maybe even the song Worldchanger which will be stuck on your brain. No matter what I'm just glad you really liked Sunset Station - that is my #1 favorite Jorn track.

Gonna send stuff for the next round tonight.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1376 on: March 26, 2019, 03:11:51 PM »
haha, wow.  What song did you think I almost sent?

And @Wolfking..I was way off on you. I'm embarrassed. I thought for sure you sent Dan Swano and considered Vanishing Point.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #1377 on: March 26, 2019, 03:12:34 PM »
Well the bad news is that I didn't score so well.

The good news is that I can still send Katatonia in a future round... :neverusethis:

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1378 on: March 26, 2019, 03:15:14 PM »

The good news is that I can still send Katatonia in a future round... :neverusethis:

Do it! Do it! Do it! :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1379 on: March 26, 2019, 03:15:58 PM »

Please don't. :lol

Offline Lethean

« Reply #1380 on: March 26, 2019, 03:19:57 PM »

Please don't. :lol

You can easily prevent that by revising my score... After all, if it was "much better" then it should have gotten a much better score too. :P

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1381 on: March 26, 2019, 03:23:42 PM »
Sorry Lethean. It just ain't Jorn. :metardica:

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1382 on: March 26, 2019, 03:26:31 PM »
I more than doubled my score :metal
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1383 on: March 26, 2019, 03:27:46 PM »
So we are at the halfway point.

You guys have sent me a ton of great stuff. Really diverse, and the last round was especially challenging to stack. I'm expecting you guys to make it even harder.

Looking at the standings, it's still wide open. Elite, if you can pull another round like the last one, you'll be right up there.
Seneca, a few more songs like the last one, and you'll be right back in there.

Watchout for potholes...

I can't stand Chris Cornell. I hate 90's-'00's mainstream hard rock (Sevendust).
If a song has growls, which I can tolerate, and even like sometimes, the music must be stellar.

I hope you all will also join me with this:

Thank you Stadler!!!

Great job, man, and I can't tell you how much I appreciate your work.

Hopefully it hasn't been too taxing. 4 more rounds!!!

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1384 on: March 26, 2019, 03:33:02 PM »
Yeah that's more like it baby
Jokes aside I didn't expect to do as great with that one but it's a killer tune and I didn't have anything I liked half as much for Sun

Next round should be interesting  :corn
Hope i outscore leprous

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1385 on: March 26, 2019, 03:34:38 PM »
I now have conclusive evidence that Tim had a "Deliverance" moment in the 90's.

It's the only explanation.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1386 on: March 26, 2019, 03:37:47 PM »
Tim, Between the Buried and Me was the song I almost sent, and as I said with Jorn third.  I would never send that Vanishing Point song, even though I love the band.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1387 on: March 26, 2019, 03:53:59 PM »
Thanks for helping out, Stadler.

Also I don't think the MS Paint/photoshops of Stadler are getting enough credit. I f'ing love it.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1388 on: March 26, 2019, 03:55:13 PM »
Tim, Between the Buried and Me was the song I almost sent, and as I said with Jorn third.  I would never send that Vanishing Point song, even though I love the band.

Massive fail on my part.  :lol  I've seen you mention Vanishing Point before.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1389 on: March 26, 2019, 03:56:00 PM »
I now have conclusive evidence that Tim had a "Deliverance" moment in the 90's.

I now have conclusive evidence that you had a "Deliverance" moment in the last round.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1390 on: March 26, 2019, 04:09:48 PM »
 :rollin

Like a pin prick you..... ;D
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1391 on: March 26, 2019, 04:26:18 PM »
Still first huh? I'll send tomorrow.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1392 on: March 26, 2019, 04:27:56 PM »
I'm good with that score and not at all disappointed by the songs that out scored me (well maybe Jorn). I wish I had stuck with my gut and sent that Perihelion Ship song. I had that one earmarked for this round since the beginning and switched to Pillorian at the last second. Oh well. I had a feeling Elite would send it if I didn't. That whole album is fantastic!

Still first huh? I'll send tomorrow.
I'm gaining!! :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1393 on: March 26, 2019, 04:31:35 PM »
^^ That album really is good. It's not normally a style of music I'm into but I checked it out a while back (man, last year? really? wow) and it's dope.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1394 on: March 26, 2019, 04:39:33 PM »
Perhelion Ship I remember like, not "get"ing at all and I listened to the whole record at least twice trying to figure it out  :lol

Oh well

Offline Lethean

« Reply #1395 on: March 26, 2019, 04:47:03 PM »
Perihelion Ship won that round of my roulette, but it definitely wouldn't have if I'd done my rankings after two listens. :P
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 05:00:36 PM by Lethean »

Offline Lethean

« Reply #1396 on: March 26, 2019, 04:53:07 PM »
TAC - for some of the end rounds, there are a lot of word varieties. 

For Dark, would you accept: Darker, Darkest, Darkness, Darken/ed/ing, Darkroom?

For Light:  Alight, Moonlight, Sunlight, Daylight, Firelight, Twilight, Lightening, Lighthouse, Candlelight?

Something that starts with life and is usually two words but they made it one?  (example, Lifehouse)

What about dead for death?

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1397 on: March 26, 2019, 04:54:25 PM »
I took the easiest freaking possible route with this next round, but I do have backup in case the songs have already been sent. Sent to the lovely secretary!

I see Lethean is pushing the boundaries with light :)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1398 on: March 26, 2019, 04:57:22 PM »
How about Darklight :neverusethis:

Offline Lethean

« Reply #1399 on: March 26, 2019, 05:02:25 PM »

I see Lethean is pushing the boundaries with light :)

I don't really think so... maybe Lightening is.  But if moonrise, moonlight, and moonshield were in the last round, I'm assuming different forms of light would be too.  But I thought I'd better ask just in case.  And if something is out, I can cross it from the list.