Author Topic: Anyone a fan of Unleash the Archers? ABYSS out now!  (Read 7279 times)

Offline kaos2900

Re: Anyone a fan of Unleash the Archers?
« Reply #70 on: August 24, 2020, 02:59:17 PM »
Picked up Apex on Friday and LOVE it. Abyss is coming shortly.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #71 on: August 24, 2020, 03:08:42 PM »
Listened to the album a couple of times so far,  it's not really fallen into place with me yet.  Going to needs a few more listens and hopefully it starts to click.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #72 on: August 25, 2020, 05:58:08 PM »
One small criticism I would have of the album is the amount of repetition on it.  Some of the songs didn’t need to be quite as long as they are.  Through Stars for example didn’t need to repeat that guitar line 25 times at the end of the song imo, others repeat the chorus maybe more times than is really necessary.  It’s a small nitpick and I love the album but just something I would have changed had I, a talentless idiot, been producing the album instead of a top professional producer!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #73 on: August 27, 2020, 08:11:10 AM »
Abyss is giving me Nightwish Syndrome. That's what I call any band who I've historically never been able to enjoy, but suddenly their latest album is really awesome. If Nightwish Syndrome proves to be true, I'll hopefully enjoy listening to at least some of their past work now. It's funny how that works. This band has just never really stood out to me but this new record... man. Legacy is one of the best metal songs of the year. Waking Dream is an epic way to kick off the record and just great on its own, and I love how it comes back in the end. Faster Than Light is a total Stratovarius homage and it's perfect. This band sounds hungry, and I love hungry bands. Kickass record, potentially a year-end best-of contender. Brittney's singing is great, the high notes are wonderful too.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: August 27, 2020, 09:02:23 AM »
Yea, I also love the intro track.  Such a good way to start the album.  I'm loving this release more and more with each listens, but I will say there's a bit too much of the samey style in a lot of these songs.  Maybe my only criticism, but this is an awesome release. 

Mike, check out Apex.  I think myself and many others gravitate more towards Apex and Abyss than their previous works.  I'm not entirely sure you'll find that you'll enjoy the older stuff more now that you like the new album.  Worth checking out though.  I've only listened to some of the older singles and none of them really caught my attention like Apex did and now Abyss.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #75 on: August 27, 2020, 09:06:19 AM »
Yea, I also love the intro track.  Such a good way to start the album.  I'm loving this release more and more with each listens, but I will say there's a bit too much of the samey style in a lot of these songs.  Maybe my only criticism, but this is an awesome release. 

Mike, check out Apex.  I think myself and many others gravitate more towards Apex and Abyss than their previous works.  I'm not entirely sure you'll find that you'll enjoy the older stuff more now that you like the new album.  Worth checking out though.  I've only listened to some of the older singles and none of them really caught my attention like Apex did and now Abyss.

I literally just hit play on Apex after running through Abyss one more time. I never actually ever tried listening to Apex; my opinions on UTA come from their earlier stuff. But right off the bat it's pure power metal. My kind of power metal. Fantastic. The other early stuff will probably be wild cards but Abyss is so good that I'd be happy if that's the only one I like.

EDIT: Apex rocks. Great record. Not hitting me the same way Abyss does, but it's very good and much better than the stuff I remember hearing before Apex. Color me surprised, I really like these records!
« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 10:09:45 AM by The Walrus »
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: August 27, 2020, 10:34:05 AM »
So I've listened to Abyss two times and I'm not impressed, it's not clicking with me.

What's the general consensus about Abyss vs their earlier material? Should I go try Apex or is it mostly the same style and I shouldn't bother?
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: August 27, 2020, 10:45:37 AM »
So I've listened to Abyss two times and I'm not impressed, it's not clicking with me.

What's the general consensus about Abyss vs their earlier material? Should I go try Apex or is it mostly the same style and I shouldn't bother?

I've seen lots of my friends praising Abyss (and Apex by extension) after not enjoying the albums before that. I'm in the same boat, although I think I'll go back to the early ones to see if my opinion changes.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #78 on: August 27, 2020, 12:28:29 PM »
I had the same reaction you did to Abyss except it was with Apex.  I wasn’t into them at all and Apex seemed to come literally from nowhere.  I’ve got no idea what changed but suddenly they had all these incredible riff and melodies and Brittney sounded soooo much better and like a top level singer rather than this kind of raw, wild singer in other stuff I’d heard.  The new album thankfully carries that on whilst sounding very different at the same time.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #79 on: August 27, 2020, 12:32:11 PM »

Apex is much more metal than this one, no synths, no AOR rock songs, just pure metal.  It’s a brilliant album with super catchy riffs, huge choruses and great solos.  The power metal side is there but it is a much darker heavier record.  Don’t be too put off by the opening track which is more like what’s on Abyss.  The rest is not a million miles an hour stuff.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #80 on: August 27, 2020, 12:59:47 PM »
Just listen to the song Apex, if you don't like it, don't bother.  That is probably their best song.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: August 27, 2020, 01:05:29 PM »
Just listen to the song Apex, if you don't like it, don't bother.  That is probably their best song.

Having just listened to the record, I strongly disagree with this. There's a lot of great songs on that record, don't give up if that one doesn't do it for you. Hell, it's not even the best song on that record imo.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #82 on: August 27, 2020, 01:12:48 PM »

Having just listened to the record, I strongly disagree with this. There's a lot of great songs on that record, don't give up if that one doesn't do it for you. Hell, it's not even the best song on that record imo.

well, sure no one should give up on one song but it seems we're talking people who have tried already.  That was the song that caught my attention over all the others, and from reading this thread, it seems to be a fairly common thing amongst their newer fans.  I think it's their best song still of any others I've heard including on Abyss.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #83 on: August 27, 2020, 05:28:05 PM »
False Walls is far and away my favourite on the album but probably not all that representative of their sound. It’s a bit of an outlier on the album.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #84 on: August 28, 2020, 07:29:54 AM »
On my first listen to Apex, the album, I was immediately blown away, bought the calendar, went to go see them live, etc.

When I first heard Abyss, I posted here. It was good, but while I didn't say it at the time, I wasn't blown away. But now that I've listened a few more times, it grows on you. Now I think the record is incredible. There's a lot going on and its much deeper, IMO, in comparison to Apex. The albums flow into one another as well. Basically, Apex/Abyss is a double album.

I'm not one to try and force someone to listen to stuff they don't like, but if you put on Abyss multiple times, and let it sink in, I think people will be surprised just how good it is, and how well the songs are done.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
Re: Anyone a fan of Unleash the Archers? ABYSS out now!
« Reply #85 on: June 10, 2021, 11:26:28 AM »
So Unleash The Archers just announced a US Tour this September.

So excited to finally get to announce this!!!  We can't wait to hit the road through the US with Seven Kingdoms and ÆTHER REALM this September!!!!!!  Full dates are below, tickets will be added to our website and FB events over the next few days so keep an eye!  www.unleashthearchers.com  LET'S PARTY!!!!!  🤘🏻

9/1: Minneapolis, MN @ Cabooze
9/2: Chicago, IL @ Reggies
9/3: Detroit, MI @ The Shelter
9/4: Pittsburgh, PA @ Preserving Underground
9/5: Rochester, NY @ Montage Music Hall
9/7: Providence, RI @ Alchemy
9/8: New York, NY @ Le Poisson Rouge
9/9: Baltimore, MD @ Baltimore Soundstage
9/10: Greensboro, NC @ The Blind Tiger
9/11: Atlanta, GA @ The Masquerade (Heaven)
9/12: Orlando, FL @ The Haven
9/14: Austin, TX @ Come and Take it Live
9/15: Dallas, TX @ Gas Monkey Bar & Grill
9/16: Oklahoma City, OK @ 89th Street Collective
9/17: Kansas City, MO @ The Riot Room
9/18: Denver, CO @ Marquis Theatre
9/19: Albuquerque, NM @ Launchpad
9/21: Mesa, AZ @ Nile Theater
9/22: Los Angeles, CA @ 1720
9/23: San Diego, CA @ Brick by Brick
9/24: Petaluma, CA @ The Phoenix Theater
9/25: Portland, OR @ Dante's
9/26: Seattle, WA @ El Corazon

Working on a show in Vancouver as well but that will just be us, and will be announced later this month!  :)

This so makes up for them not being at ProgPower because they're coming here to the venue I love. Because it's an intimate small venue.  :metal :metal
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline nick_z

« Reply #86 on: June 10, 2021, 06:09:54 PM »
On my first listen to Apex, the album, I was immediately blown away, bought the calendar, went to go see them live, etc.

When I first heard Abyss, I posted here. It was good, but while I didn't say it at the time, I wasn't blown away. But now that I've listened a few more times, it grows on you. Now I think the record is incredible. There's a lot going on and its much deeper, IMO, in comparison to Apex. The albums flow into one another as well. Basically, Apex/Abyss is a double album.

I'm not one to try and force someone to listen to stuff they don't like, but if you put on Abyss multiple times, and let it sink in, I think people will be surprised just how good it is, and how well the songs are done.

Felt the exact same way about Apex and then Abyss. I had no clue who UtA were before I listened to Apex the first time, and I loved it right away. Great songs and vocals, with just the right amount of self-aware cheesiness  ;) I was pretty excited about Abyss coming out and I liked it well enough after the first couple of listens. Not quite as much as Apex, I thought. Then it kept drawing me back. I listened to it A TON - and it ended up as one of my favorites of 2020.

Like you say, there is a lot going on in there. There are definitely broader influences on this one - one could say it's a catchier and more "commercial"-sounding album, with the synths and a couple of AOR-sounding tracks. Yet I feel it has greater longevity. It just flows so well. And, man, The Wind That Shapes the Land, what a song. That guitar line after the chorus(es) with the galloping drums (could fit right in Somewhere in Time/Seventh Son-era Maiden, as far as I'm concerned)...and that part that starts around 5:40, before the solos. So good. I just wish it was a bit longer.

All of this to say I 100% agree  :biggrin: By the way, there is synthwave version of the song Abyss that's floating around (I believe it was a vinyl bonus track? Or maybe Japanese version?). It's called Abysswave or something. You should check it out - it's VERY cheesy, but pretty great!

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #87 on: June 10, 2021, 06:20:51 PM »
I would be very happy if they play Legacy. That is my favorite from the album.

What draws me into UTA are the vocals. How she is a raspy vocalist, but also has some nice smooth cleans, and highs.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #88 on: June 10, 2021, 06:41:11 PM »

Not familiar with this venue, I guess it's probably fairly small. I definitely want to go.  Abyss was one of my favorite albums in 2020 and I just listened to it again yesterday and still love it  :metal

Also, that's a "Progpower" line up which makes it even more interesting

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #89 on: June 10, 2021, 07:02:22 PM »

Not familiar with this venue, I guess it's probably fairly small. I definitely want to go.  Abyss was one of my favorite albums in 2020 and I just listened to it again yesterday and still love it  :metal

I didn't know who Seven Wonders were so I checked them out. Not bad at all. But was amazed at the female singer as well. And I was all, this is straight up a Power Metal tour. Makes up for Symphony X cancelling their past tour dates, and Judas Priest not stopping here at all. Good way to fill that Power Metal-ish itch.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #90 on: June 10, 2021, 07:12:25 PM »
I'm not even sure I consider UtA straight up Power Metal

but my concert calender is going wild for September right now.  I'm not sure I can afford to see them all  :lol I really want to see this one though. UtA's last two albums put them ahead of many bands I want to see, plus I've never seen them

Offline crazy climber dude

« Reply #91 on: August 03, 2021, 05:08:48 PM »

Felt the exact same way about Apex and then Abyss. I had no clue who UtA were before I listened to Apex the first time, and I loved it right away. Great songs and vocals, with just the right amount of self-aware cheesiness  ;) I was pretty excited about Abyss coming out and I liked it well enough after the first couple of listens. Not quite as much as Apex, I thought. Then it kept drawing me back. I listened to it A TON - and it ended up as one of my favorites of 2020.

Like you say, there is a lot going on in there. There are definitely broader influences on this one - one could say it's a catchier and more "commercial"-sounding album, with the synths and a couple of AOR-sounding tracks. Yet I feel it has greater longevity. It just flows so well. And, man, The Wind That Shapes the Land, what a song. That guitar line after the chorus(es) with the galloping drums (could fit right in Somewhere in Time/Seventh Son-era Maiden, as far as I'm concerned)...and that part that starts around 5:40, before the solos. So good. I just wish it was a bit longer.

THIS! The Wind That Shapes the Land is AMAZING. The transition at 5:40 is so good, as you stated. And how about the heavy, slower riff change at 3:45? It almost makes two separate songs at that point.

I didn't even know this band....but I kept hearing these blocks of songs on Prog, Rock, and Metal streaming radio. I was impressed right away, but never pursued anything. You don't know who the band is on that station, because they don't tell you. But after I kept listening to the same blocks of songs off....what I later learned was this album, I was like....who in the HELL is this?! These vocal harmonies are just mind blowing.....and then the vibrato and belts. I kept thinking, is this an all female band and they do backing vocals?

So I finally started paying attention to enough sections of lyrics, enough to Google and figure out who was doing these amazing songs. After realizing it was UTA, I remembered listening to one of their older songs from several years ago and thinking...yeah, talented....but it wasn't really doing that much for me. Once I figured out those songs on Abyss I started watching more videos on YouTube. Then realized Apex was the first album of a concept duo with Abyss. And Awakening, WHOA. The drummer is insane on that song.....and the tightness of the band overall is off the chain. Don't care about any perception of cheese....love it!

Then I started watching the reaction videos. And realizing how much of a force of nature Brittney is on some of these songs. And that they basically don't have any other female harmony vocalists....it's a delay of her voice with a long decay, for lack of a better way to describe. The way it's done on Apex and Abyss is what draws me in to those albums. She went from unknown to me....to top 5 female vocalists, basically overnight. Plus, she is beautiful (flawless skin, wow). Hard not to have a crush on her when she looks and sounds LIKE THAT. 

Finally, yeah....I know the sentiment here seems to be that Apex is the better album. But I disagree. Love both discs, but Abyss has the better songs. Wind is I think their best....and Legacy is 1b. I think Apex has a purer sound, but the hooks sink in more on Abyss and there is, as you stated, more going on.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #92 on: August 03, 2021, 05:31:18 PM »
I think they’re both great albums.  I think Apex is a bit more focused and concise but Abyss is more varied and has some really catchy softer tunes.  What I will say though is that Brittney is my favourite singer right now, male or female.

What’s weird though is how much I love these two albums but I don’t care for any of their other stuff at all.  It’s like a switch suddenly clicked on and everything improved a hundredfold.  The riffs, melodies, solos and Brittney has so much more control of her voice.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #93 on: August 03, 2021, 06:04:08 PM »
I think they’re both great albums.  I think Apex is a bit more focused and concise but Abyss is more varied and has some really catchy softer tunes.  What I will say though is that Brittney is my favourite singer right now, male or female.

What’s weird though is how much I love these two albums but I don’t care for any of their other stuff at all.  It’s like a switch suddenly clicked on and everything improved a hundredfold.  The riffs, melodies, solos and Brittney has so much more control of her voice.

I like Abyss more personally.  But I totally agree with your second point.  I struggle to enjoy their previous work.  But these two albums are fantastic.  I'd have to look back on my album rankings, I think I'd rank Abyss even higher last year because I still keep coming back to listening to it.  SOO good.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #94 on: September 08, 2021, 01:01:50 PM »

Well, the day has come! Sucks that the band had issues getting into the US and had to cancel the first 5 concerts, but they made it in and it seems they performed last night.  Funny about my "progpower" comment is that today I'd actually be at ProgPower if it happened, so this feels like a nice consolation prize.  I'm wearing one of my PP shirts in honor of that tonight  :metal :metal

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #95 on: September 08, 2021, 02:59:59 PM »

Well, the day has come! Sucks that the band had issues getting into the US and had to cancel the first 5 concerts, but they made it in and it seems they performed last night.  Funny about my "progpower" comment is that today I'd actually be at ProgPower if it happened, so this feels like a nice consolation prize.  I'm wearing one of my PP shirts in honor of that tonight  :metal :metal

I'll be seeing this show on the 19th.

I would have also been at ProgPower, and would've more than likely done a fun road trip with one of my friends.

Since the venue they're playing at here is a pretty intimate venue, that is a perfect trade-off as I like the venue because of how there is no bad spot in the venue, actually there is on top but that gets filled fast to where if you don't you have no choice but to head to the floor if you actually want to see the band playing.  :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #96 on: September 08, 2021, 04:06:21 PM »
I have no idea what to expect from this venue, I believe it is pretty small so should also be intimate but we'll see about getting a view.  It's weird how their social media isn't very active for the tour which had me questioning if the show was even going to happen but I saw Brittany post inside Union Square Park in NYC so they are here! If the setlist on setlist.fm is correct, I'm going to be happy  :metal

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #97 on: September 14, 2021, 05:18:22 PM »
I posted some of this in the concerts thread, but wanted to add some more here.

The Unleash the Archers concert last week was one of my favorites shows so far in 2021.  It was a bit odd to be at a smaller indoor venue, but it was actually really nice once settled in.  I really like these smaller intimate shows and so far this summer has mostly been large outdoor ones.  The venue, Le Poisson Rouge in downtown NYC, was perfect IMO.  I hope to see more shows there.  Just a nice smaller venue, but had everything needed and the staff was nice and friendly.  I really thought UtA were awesome live.  It sucks they have to pipe in backing tracks, but they aren't the only ones.  Brittany's voice was mesmorizing.  She really should be up there with some of the best vocalists in the genre.  They sold light up swords, kind of like kid toys, but people waving them around was really cool to see.  Added to the atmosphere for a power metal show. 

They played a set mostly of Abyss and Apex songs so it really suited my tastes.  It was only the second time they performed two of my favorite songs so I was really happy to see this show and get to see them live before they are possibly shelved in future tours.  After the show, the main guitarist Andrew was just chilling outside shooting the shit with fans.  I had no where to be so I hung out and chatted with him and others.  He was super friendly, very talkative as well.  He told me the reason they had to cancel the first part of the tour was because of their show in Belgium previously.  Being in Europe and even though the tested negative, they had to give it another week to enter the US.  That sucks because they tested negative and are all vaxxed, but I guess rules are rules.  Funny enough though, we all were outside and chatting without masks on but he mentioned if Brittany saw that she would be pissed  :lol so we all put our masks on.  He also said one positive covid test would jeopardize the entire tour so he probably should have had a mask on the whole time.  If you want to see a pic of myself and Andrew, check out the concerts thread.

Here are my two favorite songs from Abyss from the show!

Unleash the Archers - Through Stars LIVE @ Le Poisson Rouge New York City NY 9/8/2021

Unleash the Archers - Carry the Flame LIVE @ Le Poisson Rouge New York City NY 9/8/2021

I also bought this shirt, loved the art and wanted to support the band:

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #98 on: September 14, 2021, 05:44:45 PM »
Just a couple more days for me...

Can't wait, and your review got me excited. Might end up buying the light up sword. That depends on how it looks.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #99 on: September 19, 2021, 11:47:16 AM »
Show is tonight. This is the one show I am really excited for and really was anticipating.

Edit: Show was awesome, and was among the best. The venue was packed already for Seventh Kingdom. The crowd was Unleashed (pun intended) for Aether Realm, whom were at the Bar, and they came rushing from the bar in the back to the stage to set up, I knew because how can you not forget that handle-bar mustache from the guitarist. the bassist came in with a little red blow-up shark, and said it had a story but would be too long to tell, but mentioned a local band Futilitarian and how one of their members played in Aether Realm and how they're glad to be playing the same stage he played. It's going to be fun at ProgPower for these guys.

Unleash The Archers was amazing, and hearing them was awesome, made more better by the crowd which I was proud of Albuquerque for showing up and giving support. Unlike when they played at a bar called Malarky's in front of only 4 people according to Brittany.  :lol
« Last Edit: September 20, 2021, 12:29:01 AM by Ben_Jamin »

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #100 on: December 11, 2021, 10:27:50 AM »
I saw these guys in Chicago last night, only knowing a song or 2 before going in. My best friend is a huge fan and now they got me too. Was an excellent show. I grabbed Abyss from the merch table cuz my friend said it’s better than Apex. Down the rabbit hole I go!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #101 on: December 11, 2021, 10:59:09 AM »
I agree with that statement, Abyss is an awesome album.  And glad you enjoyed, they were fantastic a couple months ago on the first US leg. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: February 13, 2024, 08:33:48 AM »

Online LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #103 on: February 13, 2024, 08:46:13 AM »
A bit on the more straightforward and happier side of power metal for them than I'd like, particularly towards the end, but not too bad otherwise. 

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #104 on: February 13, 2024, 10:12:41 AM »
I agree.  It was good, but not as heavy as I like them to be.