Author Topic: Anyone a fan of Unleash the Archers? ABYSS out now!  (Read 7300 times)

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
Re: Anyone a fan of Unleash the Archers?
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2020, 11:33:47 AM »
I'm guessing the concert next weekend will be cancelled.  I've been enjoying the Apex album this week too  :(

That sucks man. I read the lyrics to Apex last night. Confirmed my thoughts on the story. Just bad ass fantasy-laden storytelling.  :metal

Brittney said during the show that the next record (due July) is a continuation of the story...
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2020, 07:06:01 PM »
Teaser is up for the new album. Sounds pretty different with synths in the mix but still cool. Can’t wait to see what The Matriarch will get up to next!

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2020, 09:39:55 AM »
Teaser is up for the new album. Sounds pretty different with synths in the mix but still cool. Can’t wait to see what The Matriarch will get up to next!

Yep, absolutely pumped. With UtA and Fates Warning both releasing records, at least 2020 will have some decent music. LOL.

I also love that UtA wrote the album entirely with seven string guitars. Should have a really heavy groove. I went ahead and pre-ordered one of the super bundles and the 7"/Earbook combo too. Went overboard, but I don't care. LOL
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2020, 01:59:51 PM »
Just ordered the ear book myself, I’m a sucker for these types of deluxe releases especially when they are in the £40 range rather than hundreds.  Apex is still an album in pretty regular rotation for me, one of my favourite albums of recent years.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2020, 02:47:20 PM »
This will vanquish all other albums coming out in 2020, mark my words.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2020, 11:18:22 AM »
With UtA and Fates Warning both releasing records, at least 2020 will have some decent music. LOL.

2020 already has a bunch of solid releases IMO and there's lots more coming up including this one, I'm looking forward to it

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2020, 11:33:40 AM »
Yeah, not been a great year for me albumwise. Really enjoyed the Ad Infinitum debut album (another female fronted act from Napalm Records) but can’t think of too much else. Satriani album was pretty disappointing (though I will admit I haven’t given it that many listens) and the Revolution Saints album was nothing special either (I know they’re not beloved round here but I like them, especially the first album).  Obviously, without Covid, we’d be getting an album by Steven Wilson and not sure what the story is with the upcoming Transatlantic album, whether that will be affected.  Hope things pick up as the year goes on.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #42 on: June 17, 2020, 06:06:55 PM »
Not sure if it’s supposed to be but the first single is up on Apple Music. After first listen, not sure it’s quite as good as anything on Apex but it’s only one listen.  It has the same level of production values as Apex, maybe even more lush, and sounds great but the chorus doesn’t quite grab me like most of them do on that album.  It’s not bad by any stretch of the imagination, I love the verses and the chorus may turn out to be a grower.  Still miles better than anything pre-Apex.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2020, 06:22:06 PM by Peter Mc »

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2020, 09:53:00 AM »
New song is cool. But god damn I want the drummer to shave his mustache.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2020, 10:12:34 AM »
Yup, I'm enjoying the new song.  Here's the music video

UNLEASH THE ARCHERS - Abyss (Official Video)

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #45 on: June 18, 2020, 05:26:47 PM »
Ok, I listened to it a bunch more times and, whilst I still find the chorus very slightly low-key, I don’t dislike it and the rest of the song is virtual perfection. I don’t actually think I could love Brittney Slayes any more than I do and, if there is a better vocalist in metal right now, male or female, I cannot name them. What an incredible majestic voice she has backed by a super talented band.

Cant wait for the album.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: June 18, 2020, 06:21:48 PM »
I can, Tommy Karevik but I have a man crush on him. That's nothing against Brittney or UtA though, solid song and I'm looking forward to the album. Just sucks I couldn't get to see them this year, seems they rescheduled the dragonforce tour for next year so there's a chance for 2021

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #47 on: June 18, 2020, 06:50:55 PM »
Is he the Seventh Wonder guy? Haven’t heard enough of him to say one way or the other.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #48 on: June 18, 2020, 08:41:49 PM »
Is he the Seventh Wonder guy? Haven’t heard enough of him to say one way or the other.

That's ok. Russell Allen is better.

I need to check this band out. From what I heard, they are similar to Vandroya.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #49 on: June 19, 2020, 03:20:56 AM »
If you’re going to check them out, I would start with their last album Apex. In my opinion, it’s light years ahead of anything else they’ve done.  Don’t be put off by the opening track Awakenings as not everything is a million miles an hour like that.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: July 15, 2020, 09:37:19 AM »
New music video for song Soulbound (which I believe they were performing live on their last tour)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yFH-O05uS0

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #51 on: July 15, 2020, 09:52:34 AM »
they do nothing for me at all  ... nope
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #52 on: July 15, 2020, 12:18:31 PM »
Another good song.  Not sure they’ve quite hit the heights of Apex in these two songs but still very enjoyable.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: July 15, 2020, 12:30:46 PM »
Another good song.  Not sure they’ve quite hit the heights of Apex in these two songs but still very enjoyable.

Yes! I dug them both.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: July 15, 2020, 01:03:03 PM »

I feel the same, good songs, not quit at the apex level but very enjoyable

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: July 21, 2020, 11:47:38 AM »
Working my way through the new album this morning (I have the media advance). They are showing a lot of growth and truly embracing the whole storytelling concept fully.

Honestly, the tracks "Through Stars" and "Legacy" threw me for a loop. I mean, it sounds like UTA, but they've incorporated many, many different new elements into their sound. Not in bad way at all, but if you're used to the pure POWER METAL of UTA, these two tracks will raise an eyebrow.

As advertised, the record has a lot of synth parts, and the guitars are seven-string. Regarding the synth, if you're wondering the level of their use, if you know Alter Bridge's last record, Walk the Sky, think that, crossed with a bit of symphonic metal bands (just a touch). It's still got the great guitars and screams, but they really spread their wings on this one, creatively.

Anyway, not a review. I want to listen for a bit. But those were my first thoughts on the first few songs on the record.

p.s. those of you who liked the song "Apex," the new tune, "The Wind That Shapes the Land" will be a favorite. It's an incredible journey!  :metal
« Last Edit: July 21, 2020, 12:33:25 PM by Samsara »

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #56 on: July 21, 2020, 12:51:38 PM »
The song title alone (The Wind That Shapes The Land) has me excited about that one. Sounds like an epic Iron Maiden song title.  Am excited to hear the album, enjoying the two singles and Soulbound has maybe overtaken Apex as my favourite.  Am glad to hear it’s not all full on power metal. I can see why people put them in that category but I think they’re better than that. They have a darker, heavier side to them than traditional power metal like DragonForce or Symphony X who are much more cheesy.  I know Awakening seems to be their big song and that is pretty cheesy power metal but it’s far from my favourite, possibility my least favourite on Apex.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #57 on: July 21, 2020, 01:21:21 PM »

I have all their albums in my queue in Amazon Music and I do listen to them from time to time but in all honesty I don't think I could name the title of a single song of theirs.  Not saying it's bad or anything like that, it just didn't make much of an impression on me.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: July 21, 2020, 01:55:11 PM »
The song title alone (The Wind That Shapes The Land) has me excited about that one. Sounds like an epic Iron Maiden song title.  Am excited to hear the album, enjoying the two singles and Soulbound has maybe overtaken Apex as my favourite.  Am glad to hear it’s not all full on power metal. I can see why people put them in that category but I think they’re better than that. They have a darker, heavier side to them than traditional power metal like DragonForce or Symphony X who are much more cheesy.  I know Awakening seems to be their big song and that is pretty cheesy power metal but it’s far from my favourite, possibility my least favourite on Apex.

My favorite on Apex is the title track. I love the heavy power metal stuff. But the stuff that really changes moods and takes you somewhere is what I love.

The one thing about this new record is you can tell from the start it isn't a standalone piece. It's meant to follow Apex when you listen. the opening track, Waking Dream, is more like a long segue (it isn't instrumental though). The album's proper lead track is actually "Abyss," and they blend together seamlessly.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: July 21, 2020, 01:58:00 PM »

I have all their albums in my queue in Amazon Music and I do listen to them from time to time but in all honesty I don't think I could name the title of a single song of theirs.  Not saying it's bad or anything like that, it just didn't make much of an impression on me.

I would say, they don't blow me away, but they are a really solid metal band that is up and coming it seems.  The song Apex is really the only track I've heard that I really loved on first listen.  The album is really good but I can kind of see what you mean about the songs not sticking out in a way.  I'm looking forward to the new album, I think the band has been progressing towards something that I really enjoy more than their older stuff (from what I've heard, I don't have any of the older albums).

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: July 21, 2020, 02:01:01 PM »

I would say, they don't blow me away, but they are a really solid metal band that is up and coming it seems.  The song Apex is really the only track I've heard that I really loved on first listen.  The album is really good but I can kind of see what you mean about the songs not sticking out in a way.  I'm looking forward to the new album, I think the band has been progressing towards something that I really enjoy more than their older stuff (from what I've heard, I don't have any of the older albums).

Apex, the album, was the first record I heard from them, when I went backwards, I liked it less and less. I only really listen to Apex (and the Explorers EP), Time Stands Still, and the EP, Defy the Skies. Anything earlier just doesn't work for me. But I have every release.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #61 on: July 21, 2020, 05:22:52 PM »

To be honest, I don’t enjoy any of their albums prior to Apex. That album, to me at least, was a gargantuan leap forward for them and is one of my favourite metal albums of recent years.  It’s an album where the opening few tracks don’t tell the whole story and there’s more interesting and varied stuff as the album goes on.  If you care to give them a try, I would take a listen to the song False Walls which is a bit more progressive and less power metal.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #62 on: August 21, 2020, 03:20:54 AM »
Wow, the new album is quite a lot different and a bigger departure than I was expecting. Kudos to them for not just making Apex 2.  Not sure how I feel about it yet after one listen.  I didn’t hate it but I didn’t love it either. The two singles started off similar though and I love those songs now.  Hopefully the album will grow on me similarly.  Not sure how big a fanbase these guys have but I’ve got a feeling this will be a pretty polarising record for them.  It’s a very different sound, nowhere near as dark and heavy.  I’m. not a longtime fan, just a fan of their previous record really so I’m not as entrenched in them sounding a certain way but I think people who are huge fans of their catalogue may baulk at some of this.  Hope I’m wrong.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: August 21, 2020, 08:47:02 AM »
Forgot this was dropping today, just got my download off amazon so I'll be listening  :metal

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #64 on: August 21, 2020, 09:48:49 AM »
Listened a few times now and has grown on me a lot already, gets better with every listen.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: August 21, 2020, 10:40:18 AM »
Definitely enjoyed it on first listen  :metal

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #66 on: August 21, 2020, 12:54:40 PM »
Had this on most of the day today and, maybe I’m just delirious at 2am, but this is easily album of the year for me and I don’t see anything beating it in the remaining months. It’s too early to say this is better than Apex (one of my favourite albums of recent years) but I’m starting to think it might be.  The Wind That Shapes The Land is also likely to be my song of the year.

I will reiterate my claim of a few weeks ago that Brittney Hayes is the greatest metal vocalist on planet Earth right now.  Some fantastic guitar work as well and the drummer is great too.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 07:09:01 PM by Peter Mc »

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: August 24, 2020, 10:57:48 AM »
I'm really enjoying the new record a LOT. It does indeed get better the more you listen.

i also bought the "ticket" and watched their record release concert the other day. It was good! You could tell Brittany had a cold, but after the first few songs she opened up, and...well, there she was. For $13 total (10 bucks plus 3 dollar fee...wherever that goes, I assume the company providing the stream), it was a nice 90 minutes. Doesn't replace the live feel, but it was cool seeing UTA do its thing live (in a real venue) on these new songs (and some old ones) for an hour and a half.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #68 on: August 24, 2020, 11:04:30 AM »
I've listened to the album a few times and really like it.  I haven't spent too much time with Apex or Time Stands Still, so it's hard for me to compare, but I do like what I've heard on the new one. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: August 24, 2020, 11:06:36 AM »
Honestly felt the live stream was too quick.  Like, I would be interested in it if they did it in a week or two when I had time to digest the album so I didn't buy into it.  I didn't really want to pay, make sure I was available, and then watch a concert of songs I didn't know.  UtA just aren't a band I love so much (yet) to do that for, but I do like them, and so far am really enjoying the album.