Author Topic: The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread  (Read 142963 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread
« Reply #3080 on: June 23, 2023, 02:37:16 PM »
So, UFO's website and Facebook page mentioned that Neil Carter would be interviewed and broadcast last night at WOMR of Provincetown, MA, of all places. The DJ is a guy named Kyle Chygrin who does a deep cuts rock show every Thursday night from 9pm to Midnight. Apparently, the guy is a huge UFO fan, specifically the Paul Chapman Era, and in fact apparently plays a block of UFO every show at 10pm. (I'm gonna check that next week.)

Here's the link to the interview:
https://womr.org/podcast/special-k-interview-with-neil-carter-of-ufo/

If you're a fan of the Chapman Era, it's really good. He talks about joining the band, the band's demise, and its current state.

He also discusses the Chapman/Carter/Parker demos that produced Murder In The Skies....of course, you all knew that already. ;D

There's not a lot of Gary Moore talk, but he talks about joining Gary's band for the 1983 US tour.

Two things he said that I found really interesting..

1. He NEVER met Paul Raymond. This blew my mind, actually.

2. He talks about introducing the sax on Mechanix, and the blueprint for what they were going for on The Writer was actually Aerosmith's Chiquita, which was played on UFO's house tape before they went on each night.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #3081 on: June 23, 2023, 05:03:03 PM »
Cool to know, Tim!
By the way, do you know if Phil will release a solo album?
About the sax... didn't Neil already have introduced on UFO on Lonely Heart?
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3082 on: June 23, 2023, 05:06:17 PM »
Cool to know, Tim!
By the way, do you know if Phil will release a solo album?
About the sax... didn't Neil already have introduced on UFO on Lonely Heart?

Yes, he added the sax part on Lonely Heart.

He mentioned Leo Lyons wanted to incorporate it on Mechanix, and I thought him mentioning Chiquita was really interesting as Night In The Ruts is easily my favorite Aerosmith album.

Neil mentioned that Phil indeed has an album coming out, but there's been no announcement on it yet.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3083 on: June 26, 2023, 08:18:59 AM »
I love The Writer; that riff is excellent!

I'm with you, Tim; Night In The Ruts is excellent; other than "Walking In The Sand" (which isn't actually that bad) there's not a duff song on that record.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3084 on: June 26, 2023, 05:11:57 PM »
I love The Writer; that riff is excellent!

I'm with you, Tim; Night In The Ruts is excellent; other than "Walking In The Sand" (which isn't actually that bad) there's not a duff song on that record.

This is an amazing song.  The sax solo takes it to new heights also.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline devieira73

Re: The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread Now Playing: Mechanix
« Reply #3085 on: June 26, 2023, 07:02:39 PM »
I love Mechanix. It has 4 songs that are incredible openings and closers (on vinyl original A/B sides). There’s a very balanced participation in the compositions of Chapman, Way and Carter, which I personally found an excellent addition. It has more guitar layers in the arrangements and the keyboards tones are very cool. Let it Rain is very commercial, but in a good way, and there’s excellent ballads like Back Into my Life and Terri. Even Something Else, although a bit strange, I like it a lot. Because all of that, it’s my second favorite UFO album.

OBSESSION (my favorite)/MECHANIX- 10+/10
FORCE IT/NO HEAVY PETTING/LIGHTS OUT/ THE WILD THE WILLING AND THE INNOCENT - 9,5
[...]

Well, what I've said when Tim was talking about the albums... I LOVE Mechanix and especially The Writer. All the soloing in this song is KILLER!!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3086 on: June 26, 2023, 07:07:44 PM »
Mechanix has my favorite Chapman Era track...Dreaming.

Offline devieira73

« Reply #3087 on: June 26, 2023, 07:15:24 PM »
When I first heard UFO, a friend of mine, who is maybe the biggest brazilian UFO fan (I'm not joking!) have recorded a cassete tape for me with the A side from Schenker era and the B side from the Chapman era and the 2 Mechanix songs that he choose were The Writer and Dreaming.  :heart

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3088 on: June 26, 2023, 08:20:00 PM »
Makin' Moves keeps climbing my rankings as far as Chapman era tracks go.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #3089 on: June 26, 2023, 09:57:58 PM »

So Makin' Moves is making moves?

Sorry, I'll see myself out.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3090 on: June 27, 2023, 04:28:14 AM »

So Makin' Moves is making moves?

Sorry, I'll see myself out.

Oh dear.  :lol

Fucking class solo in that one.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread Now Playing: Mechanix
« Reply #3091 on: June 27, 2023, 06:32:24 AM »
I love Mechanix. It has 4 songs that are incredible openings and closers (on vinyl original A/B sides). There’s a very balanced participation in the compositions of Chapman, Way and Carter, which I personally found an excellent addition. It has more guitar layers in the arrangements and the keyboards tones are very cool. Let it Rain is very commercial, but in a good way, and there’s excellent ballads like Back Into my Life and Terri. Even Something Else, although a bit strange, I like it a lot. Because all of that, it’s my second favorite UFO album.

OBSESSION (my favorite)/MECHANIX- 10+/10
FORCE IT/NO HEAVY PETTING/LIGHTS OUT/ THE WILD THE WILLING AND THE INNOCENT - 9,5
[...]

Well, what I've said when Tim was talking about the albums... I LOVE Mechanix and especially The Writer. All the soloing in this song is KILLER!!

Dreaming is excellent and I know I'm an outlier on this, but Doing It All For You and Heel Of A Stranger are both top 10 UFO songs for me.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3092 on: June 27, 2023, 09:10:21 AM »
Love the UFO
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #3093 on: July 06, 2023, 01:25:28 PM »
So I was getting a good listen in to the Elegant Weapons album today and was reminded that I should post this just so I can watch TAC tear it down. They covered Lights Out and included it on the album. I don't mind it, but something tells me he won't be too fond.

If you're not aware, the band is Richie Faulkner's baby and side-project. This is the studio lineup for the album:

Richie - All guitar
Rex Brown - Bass
Scott Travis - Drums
Ronnie Romero - Vox

https://youtu.be/fk9FUBiz46c
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3094 on: July 06, 2023, 02:32:18 PM »
So I was getting a good listen in to the Elegant Weapons album today and was reminded that I should post this just so I can watch TAC tear it down. They covered Lights Out and included it on the album. I don't mind it, but something tells me he won't be too fond.

If you're not aware, the band is Richie Faulkner's baby and side-project. This is the studio lineup for the album:

Richie - All guitar
Rex Brown - Bass
Scott Travis - Drums
Ronnie Romero - Vox

https://youtu.be/fk9FUBiz46c

I've pretty much stayed away from this release for no good reason. I did check the link for Lights Out.
I like how Richie captures Schenker's sound.

Is this album really worth a listen?

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #3095 on: July 06, 2023, 02:34:06 PM »
It's nothing new, really. Just some solid straight up metal.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3096 on: July 06, 2023, 04:10:14 PM »
I keep meaning to check the album out then think what's the point?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3097 on: July 06, 2023, 04:19:51 PM »
The thing is, I don't want to even listen to KK's album, why would I want to listen to Fake K's album?

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3098 on: July 06, 2023, 05:12:01 PM »
The thing is, I don't want to even listen to KK's album, why would I want to listen to Fake K's album?

Yes I agree, he is a fake KK.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3099 on: July 06, 2023, 05:28:51 PM »
The E W album is OK it doesnt grab me,  saw KK from Hellbent to Defenders ,,,, saw Richie a few times with JP.
I try to not think about it   : )

I guess nothing can top the early JP shows with Paul in Maiden opening   ,,,,, good times.

"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline devieira73

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3101 on: February 19, 2024, 02:37:51 PM »
https://www.metaltalk.net/love-to-love-phil-mogg-talks-health-ufo-and-lights-out.php?fbclid=IwAR1T9WnH09U8NOCoEoF-Ab53Be6Sa3HgF5Pjiws4ZWrT4rs5KLM6V7EeFKU
Phil's solo album with Neil Carter! :tup

Thank you for the heads up on this. That's great that Neil Carter is part of this. That means it's as much of a UFO album as Misdemeanor was. lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3102 on: February 19, 2024, 03:30:05 PM »
He caught the bus to go to the hospital?!  :lol

Anyway, cool, hopefully a decent record coming up.

Offline devieira73

« Reply #3103 on: February 19, 2024, 04:09:42 PM »
I also hope so. I'm not expecting Making Contact PT. 2, but maybe a bit more on the hard rock side than blues rock side?
Let's see.
https://www.metaltalk.net/love-to-love-phil-mogg-talks-health-ufo-and-lights-out.php?fbclid=IwAR1T9WnH09U8NOCoEoF-Ab53Be6Sa3HgF5Pjiws4ZWrT4rs5KLM6V7EeFKU

Thank you for the heads up on this. That's great that Neil Carter is part of this. That means it's as much of a UFO album as Misdemeanor was. lol

Isn't it? :D

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3104 on: February 19, 2024, 07:49:09 PM »

:tup :metal :heart

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3105 on: February 19, 2024, 07:56:35 PM »
I also hope so. I'm not expecting Making Contact PT. 2, but maybe a bit more on the hard rock side than blues rock side?
Let's see.

Yeah, I have no idea. I think Phil was the one in charge of UFO's musical direction, so I'm not really expecting anything too different.

Still, it'll be nice to have some new music with his voice on it.

Offline devieira73

« Reply #3106 on: March 22, 2024, 06:01:25 PM »
https://www.facebook.com/share/q6NguaUfucWf19rc/?mibextid=xfxF2i
Well hello playmates. Time for a ramble...
The album Moggs Motel shall be unleashed on September 6th, which seems an age away. However the motel staff are making a movie in April at a secret location... so shapes must be rehearsed and hats starched. Talking of movies if you get the chance have a gander at one great B movie called Giant Killer Ants. It’s a Band Movie you might like, from 2017. The guitarist has Pete Way's pants on and it has Sydney Sweeney appearing in it. Wonderful silly stuff. If you're a B movie fan you’ll love it, which reminds me, I must check out Attack Of The Killer Donuts.

So anyway, here’s the Motel track listing.
Apple Pie
Sunny Side Of Heaven
Face Of An Angel
I Thought I Knew You
The Princess Bride
Other People's Lives
Tinker Tailor
Weather
Harry's Place
The Wrong House
Shane
Storyville

And just for the record I’m singing, Neil (Carter) is on guitar, keys, vocals, flute, washboard and anything else he can lay his hands on, the little devil. Our Tony (Newton) plays the bass, guitar, and mixing desk, Joe (Lazarus) is on all things percussion, and Mr Tommy Gentry is on guitars.

The Motel pool has been finished I have placed a lovely bar at one end. Now we have to name it. I was thinking The Way Out (that's a bit naff though) or Tonka Town (a bit better). Any suggestions gratefully received.

Have yourselves a smashing summer and maybe we could meet up in September for the launch.
Tally Ho, and Happy Trails.
Phil.

Offline devieira73

« Reply #3107 on: March 22, 2024, 06:04:29 PM »
It seems like Neil is very involved with this album. :tup

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3108 on: March 22, 2024, 06:05:30 PM »
Sounds good to me, hopefully a solid record coming our way.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3109 on: March 22, 2024, 06:54:38 PM »
Oh nice. I usually check their web page, but I must not have.
Really looking forward to this.