Author Topic: Anyone a fan of Unleash the Archers? ABYSS out now!  (Read 7002 times)

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
Anyone a fan of Unleash the Archers? ABYSS out now!
« on: February 27, 2019, 01:10:24 PM »
I heard about this Canadian metal band Unleash the Archers a few months back, and then when I got obsessed with Lost Domain (again, huge thanks TAC, love them), I forgot. Then yesterday, while searching for Geoff Tate doing a solo performance of the QR song "Before the Storm," I saw a video of a woman named Brittany Slayes doing "Queen of the Reich." Her voice blew me away, and reading the description, I saw she was the singer from Unleash the Archers, which I remembered, and led me to check them out.

Really dig this band. I ordered their last two albums. I like the most current, Apex, more than the one before that (Time Stand Still). But I like them both. They have that traditional metal/power metal vibe, but at least on Apex, I heard some nice moody stuff going on too, which is what I am really digging. Specifically the songs "False Walls" and "Apex."

They have two independent records released before that, but I haven't sampled yet to see if I dig them (reading Wikipedia, I see unclean vocals are something they did a little more I am guessing in the past, and that's not my thing) yet. Anybody here a fan?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2020, 07:38:28 AM by Samsara »
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Anyone a fan of Unleash the Archers?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2019, 01:12:57 PM »
I like what I've heard, but I haven't really dug in on them. I have them saved in my Spotify account. I like vocals like that. They're rangeful (not sure if that's a word) and rocking.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2019, 01:19:11 PM »
I need to hear more from this band....I have always loved the video for Tonight We Ride.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOvZKJlrtk8    :metal

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2019, 01:20:21 PM »
I like what I've heard, but I haven't really dug in on them. I have them saved in my Spotify account. I like vocals like that. They're rangeful (not sure if that's a word) and rocking.

I don't like them as much as I love Lost Domain, but when I heard those two songs I mentioned, I really dug it. If they go that moodier direction on a few tracks per record, they will become a band I go check out live, and buy new stuff from. Really dug Apex and False Walls a lot, and the other stuff was good, just a tad on the power metal side (which I love, but I need variety).
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2019, 04:21:29 PM »
not to be confused with Save Us from the Archon

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2019, 05:51:04 AM »
Apex is one of my fave albums of 2017. It shows that with great writing (if you're not just playing those same two Maiden riffs over and over) heavy metal still has a lot of steam left.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Groundhog

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2019, 02:38:01 PM »
I came across this band quite recently on youtube as I was watching music videos and saw the video for the song Awakening. The song was awesome and the musicianship of the whole band was great so I was immediately hooked. Been listening to the Apex a lot and I think it is one of the best metal albums I've heard in a long time. I was also surprised to enjoy the sound of the album so much. The production on Apex is stellar and it is a rare feat for a modern metal album to actually have a good dynamic range.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2019, 03:13:00 PM »
Apex is one of my fave albums of 2017. It shows that with great writing (if you're not just playing those same two Maiden riffs over and over) heavy metal still has a lot of steam left.

I think Apex is incredible. Light years ahead of Time Stands Still, which I also bought. I'm really enjoying it. The title track and False Walls in particular, but the whole thing is A+

I came across this band quite recently on youtube as I was watching music videos and saw the video for the song Awakening. The song was awesome and the musicianship of the whole band was great so I was immediately hooked. Been listening to the Apex a lot and I think it is one of the best metal albums I've heard in a long time. I was also surprised to enjoy the sound of the album so much. The production on Apex is stellar and it is a rare feat for a modern metal album to actually have a good dynamic range.

It really is. Glad to see others are diggin them too. Love to see them live at some point.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2019, 03:48:15 AM »
I think you gave them a listen a while back when I mentioned them in the “what are you currently listening to” thread and I said there was a hint of Queensryche and Dream Theater there. I think Apex is a superb album but, from what I’ve heard, it seems light years better than anything they’ve done in the past. It’s one of my favourite discoveries of recent years. They seem to get lumped in with power metal which I suppose is what they are but there’s more to them than that, it’s not really cheesy power metal, there’s some bite to it as well.

Brittney is an incredible singer and it just all came together on this album. I do think there are some Petrucciesque guitar solos and the odd Queensr˙che style riff and melody (False Walls in particular which is my favourite) as well as the singer being clearly influenced by Tate.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2019, 08:14:29 PM »
Brittney Slayes guested on a track from the last Lords Of The Trident.

LOTT is kind of campy in their image, but I have most of their albums and they're an excellent band. And their singer has some pipes.

Here's the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6Kj65XZri0
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2019, 10:07:34 AM »
I think you gave them a listen a while back when I mentioned them in the “what are you currently listening to” thread and I said there was a hint of Queensryche and Dream Theater there. I think Apex is a superb album but, from what I’ve heard, it seems light years better than anything they’ve done in the past. It’s one of my favourite discoveries of recent years. They seem to get lumped in with power metal which I suppose is what they are but there’s more to them than that, it’s not really cheesy power metal, there’s some bite to it as well.

Brittney is an incredible singer and it just all came together on this album. I do think there are some Petrucciesque guitar solos and the odd Queensr˙che style riff and melody (False Walls in particular which is my favourite) as well as the singer being clearly influenced by Tate.

Yep, it might have been you that led me to them. Thank you for that. Hopefully they continue to put out music that is the quality of Apex, because it really hits that spot for me. Outstanding record.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2019, 03:56:15 AM »
From bits I’ve seen, I think a sequel to Apex is on the way so hopefully they will continue in the same vein. It’s crazy the jump in quality on the last album in production, melody and Brittney’s voice sounds so much more controlled. I felt like on some earlier stuff, she was almost going out of tune singing at full pelt all the time. Much more variation here and some really beautiful singing along with the full on metal stuff. If Queensr˙che or even Dream Theater needed a new singer tomorrow, I’d be pretty happy if she got the job.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2020, 07:40:44 AM »
So I saw Samsara mention this band in another thread and it timed up to me listening to them just last week and triggered me to go back and listen more.

They are playing somewhat locally in two weeks and may go check them out.  For one, I like a lot of what I hear, and two a Saturday power metal show is better than hanging out home.  (They are the middle band of Dragonforce and Visions of Atlantis).

So yea, been listening to the singles on youtube and the song Apex came and I really enjoyed it.  Given what everyone is saying about that album, seems I need to pick it up.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2020, 09:21:58 AM »
Cram,

I am in such a conundrum this weekend. Well, not any more because I made a decision, but it was agonizing.

So Unleash the Archers are supporting Dragonforce on their tour. It comes to San Fran on Sunday. I looked into it, not really a fan of DF, nor of the other opening act (I shouldn't say that -- I don't know them, so maybe I will like them). But I could easily go to that show. Saw the setlist -- seven songs, five that I know, and looks to be around a 45 minute set. I know the venue well (was just there for Alter Bridge), easy parking, easy to get there.

OR, I could drive three hours each way to Fresno, at a venue (bar) I don't know, see them headline on Saturday, give up the family time, and probably see just a 65-minute headline set, with three opening bands. I really wanted to see the headline gig, because I'm not a Dragonforce fan, and wanted the extra music from UTA. But all the hours driving, for what's probably going to end up being just 20 more minutes of music, made no sense to me.

Saturday it is!  :metal

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2020, 09:50:44 AM »
Only 65 minutes as a headliner?  That's a lot of effort for 20 more minutes but if you really like them, then it'll be fun for sure, but why wouldn't they play for 90 minutes?

The show by me is where I just saw Devin/Haken in Brooklyn which is a hike for me, but also being a Saturday, it's a doable hike and could be a fun journey.  I'm no Dragonforce fan, but it's like a bonus ontop of seeing this band I guess.  Visions of Atlantis are like a Nightwish light from what I heard.  I actually should have seen them once before but I couldn't get out of work early enough, but they aren't bad.  This venue has good polish food and beer, another reason to go (I'm part Polish).  Also, going to lots of power metal shows in NYC area, I always seem to run into people I know.  Plus I'm on a hot streak meeting band members, would love to meet Brittany for example.

I'm going to have to get the Apex album though, been listening since my last post in this thread and I do enjoy it quite a bit. 

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2020, 09:57:52 AM »
Only 65 minutes as a headliner?  That's a lot of effort for 20 more minutes but if you really like them, then it'll be fun for sure, but why wouldn't they play for 90 minutes?

The show by me is where I just saw Devin/Haken in Brooklyn which is a hike for me, but also being a Saturday, it's a doable hike and could be a fun journey.  I'm no Dragonforce fan, but it's like a bonus ontop of seeing this band I guess.  Visions of Atlantis are like a Nightwish light from what I heard.  I actually should have seen them once before but I couldn't get out of work early enough, but they aren't bad.  This venue has good polish food and beer, another reason to go (I'm part Polish).  Also, going to lots of power metal shows in NYC area, I always seem to run into people I know.  Plus I'm on a hot streak meeting band members, would love to meet Brittany for example.

I'm going to have to get the Apex album though, been listening since my last post in this thread and I do enjoy it quite a bit.

No, no, I am going to the opening set. The headline set is a guess. Based on four opening bands, and a curfew at the venue. When I've seen bands do these one-offs headline shows, especially more modern bands, the headline sets rarely go above 70 minutes. I'm thinking 70 tops. And while I love UTA, I don't think a six-hour commute to and from, along with sacrificing the family time on Saturday, is worth it for a max of 25 more minutes of the band.

I'd rather keep my Saturday open, go see them play 45 minutes on Sunday, and be home at a decent hour. Hoping they'll come back as a headliner on a true headline tour soon.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2020, 10:07:32 AM »
Ah, I read that wrong, but that makes sense.  I was thinking, damn you must be a really hardcore fan to do that  :lol

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2020, 10:57:58 AM »
I admit to a bit of a crush on Britney... I don’t mind the band and will tolerate the growls when they appear.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2020, 12:00:29 PM »
I admit to a bit of a crush on Britney... I don’t mind the band and will tolerate the growls when they appear.

Their last album, Apex (which is my favorite) doesn't use em much at all. GREAT record. Still heavy as hell, but with her clear wail.  :metal

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Grappler

« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2020, 12:22:51 PM »
Checking out Apex and Time Stands Still today.  I always keep forgetting to try this band out.   I'm loving them, and, uh....Brittney too.   :metal

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2020, 02:39:21 PM »
Def. prefer Apex. A step up from a sonic perspective -- a step up all around, honestly.

:metal

Very much pumped for Sunday evening. Forty-five minutes of pure power metaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalllllllllllllllll!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2020, 09:40:34 PM »
For those interested right now, Herman Li of Dragonforce has a Twitch channel and his stream is currently live streaming Unleash The Archers' set in LA in addition to Dragonforce later tonight.  Didn't know this bill was playing today.  I may have gone had I known earlier, but I think this was a quick sold out show.  Room looks small and packed.  I think there will be a VOD to watch after this is done.  Missed out on seeing Dragonforce in Santa Ana last October as well since I already committed to seeing Delain on the same day in Anaheim. 

https://www.twitch.tv/hermanli
« Last Edit: March 06, 2020, 09:46:37 PM by Anguyen92 »

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2020, 08:20:46 AM »
Unleash the Archers were downright amazing last night in San Francisco. I've seen some killer vocal performances in 30 years of seeing shows, from Tate to Dickinson to LaBrie, and now Myles Kennedy. I mean soaring vocals. I was blown away by Brittney Slayes last night. She launched from the get-go, and while their first song, "Awakening," was something where she was warming up, by the time they got to the third song, "Soulbound," she was ON FIRE. What I love about her voice is that she's not sharp. She just has range FOR DAYS and is not afraid to use it.

Here's a playlist of four songs I recorded from last night:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLJI-MjWF9aD9uchsf3AUWteVQ6zJt4R-v

REALLY impressed. And the redheaded guitarist...man, that dude can shred. What I really dug about these guys, aside from the music, is that they really didn't take themselves too seriously. The genuinely enjoy being on stage and messing with one another. It was really fun to see. I was only there for Unleash the Archers, who played a 45-minute set opening for Dragonforce (Not a fan of them). So after Visions of Atlantis and Unleash the Archers, I left. But before I did, I stopped by the merch area, as Brittney said they would be back there and signing autographs and hanging out. The line was almost 50 people deep in front of their booth....and there was absolutely NO ONE waiting to buy merch from Dragonforce or Visions of Atlantis. I didn't stay, because I had already gotten a shirt prior to the show, and I wanted to get home with work today. But on the way out, people were absolutely in awe of Unleash the Archers.

I'll never miss a Northern California performance from them going forward. They were THAT good.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2020, 08:25:31 AM »
 :metal awesome, I'm pretty much all in to go to the Brooklyn show in two weeks at this point assuming coronavirus hasn't ruined the world by then.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2020, 08:32:40 AM »
:metal awesome, I'm pretty much all in to go to the Brooklyn show in two weeks at this point assuming coronavirus hasn't ruined the world by then.

You'll have a blast, Cram. A note -- huge mosh pits opened up on the floor for them. I know you like to get video, so be aware. The venue last night was a ballroom, so there was limited balcony seating on both sides, and at the back. I was on the side, first row. The floor was CRUSHING. So like I said, FYI, so you can figure out a vantage point.

You know that "buzz" you can feel as a show begins and a band just firing on all cylinders and has the crowd in their hand? It's unfortunately not something that happens all that often (at least for me) any longer, but last night was one of those times. People LOVE these guys, and it shows. Like I said, I won't miss another show within a few hours drive from me moving forward.

Oh, and as for that headline appearance on Saturday night? I obviously made the choice not to go, and while I somewhat regret it because of how awesome the band was on Sunday, I didn't miss much. They played 10 songs. So I would have driven six hours roundtrip, sat through four opening bands, for a 65-minute headline set. SO glad I didn't do that. They played seven Sunday night, so I only missed out on three songs.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2020, 08:48:47 AM »
I've heard a few songs. I like Awakenings, and some of the other ones are okay but they're a little too goofy for me, and I'm not sure how aware they are of the goofiness. Girl has a great voice though.

But, one thing that separates them from a lot of the other power metal bands is the lineup. I was watching the video for Awakening and noticed how goofy the drummer looked. So I just figured he was drummer number 57 as with most power metal bands. But nope, turns out he's the only stable member outside of the singer. It's very very rare to find a power metal band that hasn't changed drummers 2-3 times at least. Interesting stuff.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2020, 09:14:05 AM »
Not sure I noticed anything goofy about them, but goofy and power metal kind of go together.  I got a digital download of Apex over the weekend and listened a couple times, it's really good.  The older songs I've heard on youtube just don't sound as polished as this album. 

You'll have a blast, Cram. A note -- huge mosh pits opened up on the floor for them. I know you like to get video, so be aware. The venue last night was a ballroom, so there was limited balcony seating on both sides, and at the back. I was on the side, first row. The floor was CRUSHING. So like I said, FYI, so you can figure out a vantage point.

Saw Devin at the venue a couple weeks ago, so I'm familiar with the GA set up there.  Honestly getting into a mosh pit sounds fun, I have a hard time standing still anyway.  Also, sometimes I use the mosh pit to get to a better vantage point for video.  We will see, but I kind of get the feeling this is the band everyone wants to see on the bill so it's not surprise that's what's getting the crowd going.

Offline Grappler

« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2020, 09:28:18 AM »
Awesome videos!  I can't stop listening to Apex - it's such a great album.

Offline Adami

« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2020, 09:49:00 AM »
Not sure I noticed anything goofy about them, but goofy and power metal kind of go together. \

Oh yea, definitely not more goofy than most power metal, but still pretty goofy. I just listened to and watched the video for Time Stand Still or whatever, and yea...that is super goofy. Playing for knock offs of Rob Halford and Tony Iommi and stuff at the end? I just am not sure how aware they are that it's so goofy.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2020, 10:08:14 AM »
What you call "goofy" can also be interpreted as a band comfortable in their own skin, and not giving a shit what people think of them. They have FUN, which is something I think is lost a lot in the type of music many of us listen to (metal). One of the endearing things to me about Helloween is the fact that the lyrics and images are often just goofy and silly.

Listening to their music, you can tell just how skilled they are, but it all comes across to me (a new fan since Apex) as a band just having a blast, and not caring if people think it is silly or not. And that speaks volumes. It's refreshing, given the "fakery" in music these days.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Adami

« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2020, 10:52:21 AM »
What you call "goofy" can also be interpreted as a band comfortable in their own skin, and not giving a shit what people think of them. They have FUN, which is something I think is lost a lot in the type of music many of us listen to (metal). One of the endearing things to me about Helloween is the fact that the lyrics and images are often just goofy and silly.

Listening to their music, you can tell just how skilled they are, but it all comes across to me (a new fan since Apex) as a band just having a blast, and not caring if people think it is silly or not. And that speaks volumes. It's refreshing, given the "fakery" in music these days.

Dude, Devin Townsend is one of my fav musicians and is about as goofy as it gets. I'm not insulting goofy. I just feel, and I may be WAY off, that they aren't aware of how goofy they are. I might be wrong, it's all good.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2020, 10:53:41 AM »

Dude, Devin Townsend is one of my fav musicians and is about as goofy as it gets. I'm not insulting goofy. I just feel, and I may be WAY off, that they aren't aware of how goofy they are. I might be wrong, it's all good.

I didn't take offense, although I can see how I wrote it might make you think that. I guess my question is -- what does it matter? I mean, if they are "goofy" why does it matter if they are aware of it or not? They're having fun, and just don't care. How is that not pretty damn awesome?  :lol

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Adami

« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2020, 10:56:10 AM »
It might just be a me thing. I used to be in a female fronted power metal band (and oh man, we were awful, especially our singer). She took it VERY seriously. But she was just.....goofy as all hell. It became super uncomfortable when she'd do these insane photo shoots that we'd all be laughing at but she is 100% as serious as it gets. So it might just be that it reminds me too much of that.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2020, 01:30:26 PM »
I did a blog/review of my Unleash the Archers experience. Note that the blog is thematically tied to the original lineup of Queensryche, so whenever I write anything for this blog, it connects back to that.

Unleash the Archers: From 'Queen of the Reich' to Slaying San Francisco

There's a reason why a lot of bands don't attempt to cover classic Queensryche—the vocals. Yes, the music is deceptively complex. But Geoff Tate's style of operatic singing, and the difficult vocal lines he and guitarist Chris DeGarmo wrote, particularly in the 1980s, defined the band's unique sound, and ultimately helped establish the sub-genre of progressive heavy metal.

So, when I see bands pay tribute to Queensryche, I'm always skeptical of their ability to pull it off. It's just not easy to do that material justice. But then I heard singer Brittney Hayes (Slayes) from Unleash the Archers sing "Queen of the Reich" on YouTube, and my cynicism was quickly replaced by awe...

[ Read More ] - http://anybodylistening.net/unleashthearchers-review.html

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2020, 11:14:10 AM »
I'm guessing the concert next weekend will be cancelled.  I've been enjoying the Apex album this week too  :(