Author Topic: When Dream and Day Unite  (Read 2429 times)

Offline lovethedrake

When Dream and Day Unite
« on: February 27, 2019, 01:00:46 PM »
Listening for the first time in years.... this album kicks ass!   

The production is crappy and it definitely needs Labrie on vocals but there is a ton of awesome stuff on it.     

Its almost impossible to rank this album against other DT albums, I think even more so than TA. 

From now on I am going to make this an outlier album when I rank them so I can just enjoy it and not feel like it needs to measure up to anything other than just being a super fun energetic tour de force of prog metal by an amazing band just getting off the ground.

The band really works incredibly well together on this album.   Not as much, your turn, my turn stuff....    I'm loving D/T also, its just different.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: When Dream and Day Unite
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2019, 01:07:58 PM »
I LOVE this album. Well the songs at least. I hardly ever listen to it, but I do listen to WDADRu a lot and consider THAT a Top 5 DT album. I do wish it would get a proper rerecord.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2019, 01:08:29 PM »
Now you're making me want to order this album.  :coolio
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2019, 01:11:59 PM »
I LOVE this album. Well the songs at least. I hardly ever listen to it, but I do listen to WDADRu a lot and consider THAT a Top 5 DT album. I do wish it would get a proper rerecord.
I kind of doubt they will redo this album out of respect for Charlie D.   The live cuts here and there are probably enough. If their gonna record something, keep cranking out new stuff!
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline CirclesSquared

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2019, 01:14:40 PM »
There's some high quality music there hinting at colossal potential and things to come. Amazing musicianship as well, considering band members' age at the time. WDADU gets panning for its quality when it's most likely the muddy production that destroys the listening experience. Also, Dominici's trademark 80s vocals perhaps didn't let this album age well.

But I guess, when being ranked with the rest of band's discography, it has to be placed somewhere and on the merits of the said issues...

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2019, 01:19:55 PM »
I've always liked this album a lot, despite the obvious flaws. The songwriting was mostly really good, and their chops were already crazy good considering their ages at the time.  Kevin Moore and John Myung were absolute beasts on this record.  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2019, 01:21:55 PM »

Yeah, I tried listening to the original, and the vocals....eh...I respect CD's effort, but he isn't my cup of tea vocally. But I really didn't like the live representation by Labrie either. Not that he did it poorly -- he didn't, he sang well. I just would like a full on re-record of those tunes so he could do the vocals properly. Never will happen, but I wish it would.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2019, 01:24:20 PM »

Yeah, I tried listening to the original, and the vocals....eh...I respect CD's effort, but he isn't my cup of tea vocally. But I really didn't like the live representation by Labrie either. Not that he did it poorly -- he didn't, he sang well. I just would like a full on re-record of those tunes so he could do the vocals properly. Never will happen, but I wish it would.

If it was gonna happen, it needed to happen in the early 90's when JLB was at full power and Kevin Moore was still in the band. I was not a fan of the way Rudess overplayed some of the keyboard parts, which is why I never listen to WDADR, so a re-recording with him would not interest me personally.

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2019, 01:24:41 PM »
What is WDAD Reunite?    Is there a full Labrie live version or something?   

I would love to hear that if so...

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2019, 01:28:44 PM »
It's a very good album. I always liked.

A young band with a lot of will.

Love Myung bass lines  :metal.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2019, 02:00:09 PM »
What is WDAD Reunite?    Is there a full Labrie live version or something?   

I would love to hear that if so...

Ytsejam records release of the band playing the entire album on March 6, 2004 for it's 15th anniversary.

CD: http://ytsejamrecords.com/ProductCart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=20
DVD: http://ytsejamrecords.com/ProductCart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=21

Very cool. And has an encore featuring Charlie Dominici and Derek Sherinian.
A must have for DT fans, I think.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2019, 02:21:55 PM »

If it was gonna happen, it needed to happen in the early 90's when JLB was at full power and Kevin Moore was still in the band. I was not a fan of the way Rudess overplayed some of the keyboard parts, which is why I never listen to WDADR, so a re-recording with him would not interest me personally.

Ugh, no thanks!  They should just re-record the first three albums with Rudess and remove Moore from the album credits altogether.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2019, 02:51:21 PM »

Ugh, no thanks!  They should just re-record the first three albums with Rudess and remove Moore from the album credits altogether.

Bosk, you stop that right now. Good Lord no. LOL. I'll just go record the circus and put it on WDADU. Cheaper to do that, and not much difference.  :lol

Agreed with whoever said above that JR overplayed on WDADRU. He did.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2019, 03:37:42 PM »
I kind of doubt they will redo this album out of respect for Charlie D.   The live cuts here and there are probably enough. If their gonna record something, keep cranking out new stuff!

Within the last week, I watched the WDADRu DVD with the band commentary.  Coincidentally, we're getting close to the 15th anniversary of that 15th anniversary show.  It was discussed early in the commentary that fans had been clamoring for either a re-recording with the then current lineup or a remixing of the album.  MP pointed out that the band had no interest in re-recording the album in the studio (he then corrected himself to say that he was only speaking for himself, but no one else jumped in and said, "yeah, I'd be down for that").  He also mentioned that remixing the album wasn't possible because the band didn't own the rights to the masters.  Thus, the WDADRu show was sort of the next best thing.

Fast forward to today, and I doubt any of the current members would have even the slightest interest in re-recording the album, and I doubt it has anything to do with respect for Charlie.  It seems to me that, if anyone would have had interest, it would have been MP, and he's now gone.  Has any band ever gone back to record one of it's early albums so long after the fact?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2019, 04:15:39 PM »
It would've been cool if they used their time in the studio last year to re-record the album with the current lineup (and production) and release it as a 30th anniversary special edition of WDADU, but now that the're out of the studio, I don't see that happening. Also, the band doesn't seem to be super high on this album either.

Actually, the album is very good, I still listen to it and enjoy it quite a bit, but it falls short in comparison to the other 13 DT studio albums, and that's why I always rank it last.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2019, 04:18:41 PM »
I've loved it since the first time I ever listened to it.

Sure it sounds dated, sure its not Labrie, sure the production is rough, but It really doesn't bother me. The songwriting is catchy and super intricate. I am totally for it.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2019, 06:17:59 PM »

This is how I feel. Top 6 at least. Great riffs, solos, bass, keys, lyrics. Only the vocals are sub-par.

Offline SuperTaco

• why do I still exist
  • doomed to fail
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2019, 07:20:13 PM »
Still my favorite DT album. Probably always will be. Nothing else makes me feel the way WDADU does.
So fking tired of being an oversensitive naive moronic fkin bitch. I CANT STOP IT. I CANT CHANGE. IM STUCK. This world eats me alive. My purpose is simply to be what others shouldn't be. A shriveled fking beacon of sad energy. I have lost. I am lost.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2019, 10:16:18 AM »
It would've been cool if they used their time in the studio last year to re-record the album with the current lineup (and production) and release it as a 30th anniversary special edition of WDADU, but now that the're out of the studio, I don't see that happening. Also, the band doesn't seem to be super high on this album either.

I'd be shocked if they really give it any thought at all other than when it comes time to putting set lists together.  Would it be cool if they did this?  I suppose, but why would any of the three current members who didn't play on that album want to do it?  Perhaps more importantly, why would they want to spend the money on something that probably would only have a niche market within the fan base?  IMO, it would be really weird if they did this.  If they really wanted to spend $$ revisiting a 30 year old album, they'd probably be better off buying the masters (if they even still exist) and doing a remix.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Art

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2019, 10:30:45 AM »
I really like WDADU, and i don't have a problem with CD vocals. They needed Labrie for I&W, sure, but WDADU is fine the way it is.

Offline Eldomm

• Metropolis chemist
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2019, 11:13:17 AM »
I absolutely LOVE WDADU. It was my first exposure to DT in 1989 and it has a big place in my heart.

Offline Dreamer

« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2019, 11:45:08 AM »
After reading a review of this in a Rush fanzine I bought this album straight away but was very disappointed. I gave away my copy! When I heard Pull Me Under I hated that too so didn't listen to DT again until I saw the score DVD many years later...

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2019, 03:27:28 PM »

I wouldn't say WDADRU would be a top 5 DT album, but that version really makes the album so much better.  The original is really hard to listen to, but the music is there and its solid stuff.  Id be cool if they pulled out some of the more rare WDADU songs out on tour again. Looking at you Status Seeker

Offline Lax

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2019, 11:30:24 PM »
I like WDADU, I often listen to songs like only a matter of time :)

BTW Ytse Jam is my warmup on guitar !
EBMM JP12 Cherry Sugar + JP7 Pearl Redburst
Axe FX 2 XL+ & MFC101 MK3 & Roland EV5
Boss WL-50, Morpheus droptune, G-Lab Wowee Wah, 2x Yamaha HS7, Sennheiser HD25 SP2 & Jamhub Bedroom
https://www.facebook.com/Laxthestampede/

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2019, 09:55:11 AM »
Top 3 Dream Theater album for me.

I love the live revisit too, but the magic is really in that first album warts and all. I thought the sky was the limit after that came out. Coming up on 30 years. Where did the time go?

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2019, 10:00:48 AM »

I wouldn't say WDADRU would be a top 5 DT album, but that version really makes the album so much better.  The original is really hard to listen to, but the music is there and its solid stuff.  Id be cool if they pulled out some of the more rare WDADU songs out on tour again. Looking at you Status Seeker

I used to think hearing that album like again would be great, but and maybe I wouldn't mind hearing a song or two from it now live, but I'd really rather hearing something from the new album that engage the nostalgia trip.

Fortunately, there's enough of a record of it live than I can pull it off the shelf if and enjoy it when needed. Or just pop the studio album (or the demos and what have you) in and crank it.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2019, 10:07:06 AM »
I've always liked this album a lot, despite the obvious flaws. The songwriting was mostly really good, and their chops were already crazy good considering their ages at the time.  Kevin Moore and John Myung were absolute beasts on this record.  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Yep. I dig this album a lot.....they did play it in full some years ago so there are some vids out there with ‘thier’ sound rather than the CD sound.

The Ones Who Help to Set the Sun is a personal favorite of mine.  :biggrin:
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2019, 04:29:44 PM »

I used to think hearing that album like again would be great, but and maybe I wouldn't mind hearing a song or two from it now live, but I'd really rather hearing something from the new album that engage the nostalgia trip.

Fortunately, there's enough of a record of it live than I can pull it off the shelf if and enjoy it when needed. Or just pop the studio album (or the demos and what have you) in and crank it.

Oh yea, I'd rather see new stuff live as well, and this tour with SFAM I'm not sure I'd want a WDADU song to take the place of either a new or different older song.  I just mean in general really, I'd love to see something other than Ytse Jam/A Fortune in Lies/The Killing Hand if they chose to play a song from their first album.

Offline brents319

« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2019, 07:55:55 PM »
I came into the DT world after Images and Words.  I have a hard time listening to the original WDADU tracks.  Dominici just doesn't hit me just right the Labrie does.  I do enjoy the live versions that have been released.  I never turn the songs off when they hit randomly...but, I don't think I have ever gone looking for them.

Offline Infinite Cactus

• DT.net Member
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2019, 06:48:42 AM »
It's my 4th favorite album of theirs.  Love  Charlie's voice(other than the end of killing hand).

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2019, 07:54:11 AM »

I love this album, and it's short-ish length makes it a nice, fast listen. I like Charley's vocals, but I do long for a studio rerecording with the current lineup, production, and some tweaks to the songs themselves, such as The Killing Hand. I also think they should consider adding To Live Forever, and also A Vision, which was at one point almost included on the album, according to the Lifting Shadows book.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2019, 12:18:52 PM »
A Vision, which was at one point almost included on the album, according to the Lifting Shadows book.

Indeed, there’s a version they recorded with Charlie called A Vision 89 on the WDADU demos. Personally, I prefer this version over the original on the Majesty demos. They removed all the unnecesary parts (it ended up being 4 minutes shorter than the original) and it works much better than the previous version. Definitely worth to check it out.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2019, 06:57:09 PM »
A Vision, which was at one point almost included on the album, according to the Lifting Shadows book.

Indeed, there’s a version they recorded with Charlie called A Vision 89 on the WDADU demos. Personally, I prefer this version over the original on the Majesty demos. They removed all the unnecesary parts (it ended up being 4 minutes shorter than the original) and it works much better than the previous version. Definitely worth to check it out.

Yup, that's my preferred version of the song. The original demo never made much of an impression on me, but the '89 version with Charley is really beautiful. I'd love to hear James sing it someday. It's actually one of my favorite songs from early DT.