Author Topic: DTF Chat Thread v.BrexitMeansBrexit  (Read 291768 times)

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
Re: DTF Chat Thread v.BrexitMeansBrexit
« Reply #5040 on: September 05, 2023, 10:38:14 AM »
I actually didnt (and still dont) know how to block someone here  :lol

If you click on your profile, then go to "Modify Profile" there is a "Buddies/Ignore List". You can add people to the ignore list through there.

It is what it is; I don't quite get the "block" (or "ignore") feature myself; seems kind of arrogant and narrow-minded to me, but it's also not my call how people live their life.
I don't see how that makes anyone arrogant or narrow-minded. I'm not speaking for Adami, and Ben pointed out how Adami blocking him has nothing to do with his decision (though the timing makes it seem otherwise), but there has been multiple instances when other members have pointed out to Ben how his posts might be insensitive or inappropriate. Not saying it is right or wrong, but I can understand why someone would not want to read them after a while.

Whether he stays or not, I wish Ben the best.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #5041 on: September 05, 2023, 10:44:48 AM »
People can say whatever they want about me. It’s fine. It’s a little rude but such is life.

I used the ignore feature (confused it for blocking) a long time ago. My mistake was publicly saying it and I apologize for that. If that makes me arrogant or narrow minded or whatever other things people want to say, sure.

If Ben wants to leave the forum, that’s a shame. His posts weren’t for me so I simply ignored them. I didn’t belittle or insult or whatever him. I’m glad other people got a lot out of what he said. I’m sorry to see him post less. The situation was fine as was. People said often that if you didn’t like something someone was saying, just don’t read it. But apparently doing just that also makes me a jerk. It is what it is.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Skeever

« Reply #5042 on: September 05, 2023, 11:04:43 AM »
Ben, you'll be missed.

But, I get it. As somewhat less frequent of a poster who still takes broad interest in these forums, I've often found myself accidentally sticking my foot into it - and by that I mean, making a post, and seeing a response from someone who I often disagree with,  but who brings a lot to the table (i.e., a Reapsta, or Stadler), and thinking "damn, there was no way I was going to keep up with that, now I'm going to silently disappear and one of those guys will think I just didn't read or care about what they said."

I've been on the flipside. I had another account here back in the day with many, many posts. I responded to everyone, participated in debates and arguments, got way too invested. It didn't go well for me, in the end. When I decided to return to the forums, I did so knowing that I was going to keep it way more casual than I had in the past. But every now and then, I accidently step into it again.

Ben, you bring a lot to the table, and I am sure that I am not alone in cherishing your unique perspective. Please stick around. Maybe you can just take a break from some of the heavier, more divisive topics, and rather focus instead on the interests you share with many posters here.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #5043 on: September 05, 2023, 11:13:27 AM »
People can say whatever they want about me. It’s fine. It’s a little rude but such is life.

I used the ignore feature (confused it for blocking) a long time ago. My mistake was publicly saying it and I apologize for that. If that makes me arrogant or narrow minded or whatever other things people want to say, sure.

If Ben wants to leave the forum, that’s a shame. His posts weren’t for me so I simply ignored them. I didn’t belittle or insult or whatever him. I’m glad other people got a lot out of what he said. I’m sorry to see him post less. The situation was fine as was. People said often that if you didn’t like something someone was saying, just don’t read it. But apparently doing just that also makes me a jerk. It is what it is.

First off, I'm not calling you "arrogant" or "narrow-minded".   I said ignoring "seems like".  If you have your reasons, so be it.  Not for me to say what you should or should not do.  MY EXPERIENCE with blocking - and I know for a fact two people here have blocked me, and suspect a third - is what I said and I stand by it.  They're "better than me" and can't be deigned to waste their time with my cockamamie opinions, even if those opinions are backed up with data and fact.  To me, ignoring truth (or potential truth) because it doesn't jibe with their precious world view is the definition of arrogant - that you, out of 7.6 billion people on the planet are "right" and everyone else is wrong (except for those that agree with you) - and narrow-minded - that there's nothing you can learn even from people that you disagree with.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #5044 on: September 05, 2023, 11:14:32 AM »

First off, I'm not calling you "arrogant" or "narrow-minded".   I said ignoring "seems like".  If you have your reasons, so be it.  Not for me to say what you should or should not do.  MY EXPERIENCE with blocking - and I know for a fact two people here have blocked me, and suspect a third - is what I said and I stand by it.  They're "better than me" and can't be deigned to waste their time with my cockamamie opinions, even if those opinions are backed up with data and fact.  To me, ignoring truth (or potential truth) because it doesn't jibe with their precious world view is the definition of arrogant - that you, out of 7.6 billion people on the planet are "right" and everyone else is wrong (except for those that agree with you) - and narrow-minded - that there's nothing you can learn even from people that you disagree with.

Well fortunately none of that has anything to do with what I did. So I hope you don’t assume it does.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5045 on: September 05, 2023, 11:18:15 AM »

Well fortunately none of that has anything to do with what I did. So I hope you don’t assume it does.

I do not.  Being serious for a second, I (think I) know you well enough and I (like and) respect what I know.   The topic sort of veered off to "ignore/block" in general and I commented on that.  I'm sorry if there was confusion.  If anyone reads anything I write, you know I don't believe in a "black and white", you're all in or you're all out, world.  There are exceptions to every rule.   

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #5046 on: September 05, 2023, 11:32:50 AM »
I appreciate you all. And I am posting just to let you all know, I respect each and every one of you.  :heart :heart
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #5047 on: September 05, 2023, 01:57:03 PM »
I for one hope you don't go, Ben.   I look forward to your inputs, whether I agree with them or not.   

As for P/R, I get it's not for everyone, but one man's meat is another man's poison.  I find it helpful and, in a way, therapeutic, to put my thoughts down on "paper".  No one HAS to read what I write (though it's always a benefit to READ it if you're going to comment or critique on it).  I rarely talk about this stuff at work or at social events, mostly because there are other things to talk about.  I do talk about them occasionally at home, particularly with my daughter, but less and less now that my dad has passed.  It is what it is; I don't quite get the "block" (or "ignore") feature myself; seems kind of arrogant and narrow-minded to me, but it's also not my call how people live their life.  But I also make time away (primarily weekends; there are times I wake up and think "I have to post this" and figure, if it's still in my brain on Monday, then we'll see what happens). 

Upon fully returning to the forums this year, your posts are ones I never want to skip over. Even if others disagree with you, and, maybe occasionally myself, I feel you post very thought-provoking stuff. Just wanted to let you know that you are appreciated.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5048 on: September 05, 2023, 02:07:46 PM »
I for one hope you don't go, Ben.   I look forward to your inputs, whether I agree with them or not.   

As for P/R, I get it's not for everyone, but one man's meat is another man's poison.  I find it helpful and, in a way, therapeutic, to put my thoughts down on "paper".  No one HAS to read what I write (though it's always a benefit to READ it if you're going to comment or critique on it).  I rarely talk about this stuff at work or at social events, mostly because there are other things to talk about.  I do talk about them occasionally at home, particularly with my daughter, but less and less now that my dad has passed.  It is what it is; I don't quite get the "block" (or "ignore") feature myself; seems kind of arrogant and narrow-minded to me, but it's also not my call how people live their life.  But I also make time away (primarily weekends; there are times I wake up and think "I have to post this" and figure, if it's still in my brain on Monday, then we'll see what happens). 

Upon fully returning to the forums this year, your posts are ones I never want to skip over. Even if others disagree with you, and, maybe occasionally myself, I feel you post very thought-provoking stuff. Just wanted to let you know that you are appreciated.

Thank you; that means a lot to me.  I appreciate that very much. 

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5049 on: September 06, 2023, 02:36:46 PM »
I have everyone except Stadler blocked.

Ben, if you need to take a break from posting or browsing for your mental health, then I would say absolutely do so and I wish you only the best. God knows I've had to step back from posting heavily in the past. Hopefully we'll see you again when you feel up to it.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2023, 02:41:47 PM by XJDenton »
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5050 on: September 06, 2023, 02:48:25 PM »
I have everyone except Stadler blocked.

Ben, if you need to take a break from posting or browsing for your mental health, then I would say absolutely do so and I wish you only the best. God knows I've had to step back from posting heavily in the past. Hopefully we'll see you again when you feel up to it.

See, that's the way it ought to be. 

I know for me, I try to step away when the fam is around.  Nights, and weekends.  If I'm on those times, it's usually because the family isn't around for whatever reason.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #5051 on: October 17, 2023, 09:04:31 AM »
In an Airport waiting to board to head to our conference in Pittsburgh this year. We are in the running for Site of the Year again.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #5052 on: October 17, 2023, 09:39:01 AM »
In an Airport waiting to board to head to our conference in Pittsburgh this year. We are in the running for Site of the Year again.
Good luck!
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5053 on: October 17, 2023, 12:18:22 PM »
And we got great news!

The second biopsy came back non spreading and the genealogy results show that that the cancer will not come back.

I am so released. The weight is lifted. Surgery will be set up then radiation.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #5054 on: October 17, 2023, 12:21:46 PM »
And we got great news!

The second biopsy came back non spreading and the genealogy results show that that the cancer will not come back.

That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #5055 on: October 17, 2023, 12:22:07 PM »
Hell yeah Joe! That’s great news!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5056 on: October 17, 2023, 12:28:12 PM »
And we got great news!

:heart

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5057 on: October 17, 2023, 12:48:29 PM »
Things have been looking up for you, you deserve it as well as the Queen.  Great to hear  :yarr

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5058 on: October 17, 2023, 07:58:11 PM »
And we got great news!

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5059 on: October 18, 2023, 07:14:48 AM »
And we got great news!

That is fantastic news!

Offline faizoff

« Reply #5060 on: October 18, 2023, 07:24:34 AM »
And we got great news!

So good to hear!
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5061 on: October 18, 2023, 01:20:39 PM »
And we got great news!

Outstanding Joe!
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #5062 on: October 18, 2023, 06:48:25 PM »
Yay Joe!

Can I ask, what is the purpose of radiation after the surgery? I have (thankfully) not had to know about any of this sort of stuff up to this point in life.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5063 on: October 19, 2023, 04:14:35 AM »
I'm not quite sure. I think the just want to radiate the area where the tumor grew.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5064 on: October 19, 2023, 06:46:04 AM »
Yay Joe!

Can I ask, what is the purpose of radiation after the surgery? I have (thankfully) not had to know about any of this sort of stuff up to this point in life.

Can't speak for the Queen, but I (unfortunately) have a pretty extensive experience with cancer in my family - it's ultimately what took my dad - and they often radiate after removal as a precaution to make sure that they have gotten all the cells. In some instances, it's hard to confirm in real time that all the cells have been removed; there's a process (I think it's called a Mohs process) for doing this on skin lesions (they literally take a slice, look at it under the microscope, and keep going if they see "cancer") but can't always do it when the cancer is internal. 

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5065 on: October 19, 2023, 10:45:05 AM »
We received these monstrosities yesterday at my job. They'll be carved this weekend:

This is what was done last year:

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5066 on: October 19, 2023, 10:53:42 AM »
oh wow

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5067 on: October 19, 2023, 11:46:06 AM »
That's bad-ass.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5068 on: October 19, 2023, 02:15:44 PM »
Holy cow!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #5069 on: October 19, 2023, 02:22:04 PM »
And we got great news!

Hell yeah! That's fantastic!
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #5070 on: October 19, 2023, 02:45:31 PM »
Yay Joe!

Can't speak for the Queen, but I (unfortunately) have a pretty extensive experience with cancer in my family - it's ultimately what took my dad - and they often radiate after removal as a precaution to make sure that they have gotten all the cells. In some instances, it's hard to confirm in real time that all the cells have been removed; there's a process (I think it's called a Mohs process) for doing this on skin lesions (they literally take a slice, look at it under the microscope, and keep going if they see "cancer") but can't always do it when the cancer is internal. 

Makes sense, thank you

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5071 on: October 19, 2023, 08:55:52 PM »
Speaking of skin, everyone add to your list of things to not have happen to you: getting shingles on your face. Just a tip from me to you all.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #5072 on: October 20, 2023, 05:08:33 AM »
Speaking of skin, everyone add to your list of things to not have happen to you: getting shingles on your face. Just a tip from me to you all.

Dayum.  How long did it last for you?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5073 on: October 20, 2023, 06:03:01 AM »
Hope it gets better dude or it's already gone. Sounds awful

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5074 on: October 20, 2023, 07:20:11 AM »

Some of you know my dad's medical history (chronic arthritis from the age of 30+/-, over 20 surgeries including bowel resection, spinal fusion, and at least seven artificial joints, one stroke, and beat cancer three out of four times) and he maintained that shingles was the most painful thing he endured.