Author Topic: DTF Chat Thread v.BrexitMeansBrexit  (Read 290934 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: DTF Chat Thread v.BrexitMeansBrexit
« Reply #4410 on: November 16, 2022, 12:19:56 PM »
I think you know with your line of work Tim that it's hard to get workers that care at the entry level job that we both do.  I take pride in seeing the growth of the employees and I want them to enjoy the spoils.  Not be jaded.  I don't promote that, I promote them and their good work.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4411 on: November 16, 2022, 12:21:35 PM »

If they were JUST people working a job, they probably wouldn't have performed at a level high enough to achieve this.

That's not true at all, and I'm not the one that capitalized JUST. A general worker can still work with pride. They are obviously well managed and given the right framework, an average skilled worker can still produce good results. These people can still take pride in their work.
Yeah, they CAN.  But people that take pride in their work normally don't mind being recognized for it, either.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4412 on: November 16, 2022, 12:23:52 PM »
I think you know with your line of work Tim that it's hard to get workers that care at the entry level job that we both do.  I take pride in seeing the growth of the employees and I want them to enjoy the spoils.  Not be jaded.  I don't promote that, I promote them and their good work.

Totally Joe. I did the same. I considered it my job to do so, as do you.

Yeah, they CAN.  But people that take pride in their work normally don't mind being recognized for it, either.

Well, Joe hasn't said that any of his workers didn't like being recognized.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4413 on: November 16, 2022, 12:36:15 PM »
The recognition is the meal and the gift.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4414 on: November 16, 2022, 12:38:27 PM »
My #1 guy who started as a temp and grew to be able to run a site like me got a part time job, getting his foot into the Budweiser plant.  Don't blame him at all.  At $35.15 per hour, he should.  It takes a long time, (2 to 5 years) to get a full time job there.  He made promises and hasn't lived up to them here.  He's had a poor attitude to the presents the company wants to give for the Site Of the Year. 

Just this week, I had to remind him, I'm doing him a favor keeping his Full Time status to get insurance when he is not working 32 hours he promised he would.  I even reminded him that I've allowed it because I want him to get the other job without losing the insurance.  I told him to stop poisoning others because he has one foot out the door. Now he's kissing my ass this week.  Funny how he didn't remember how much I've done for him.

BTW, when they called I gave him a glaring review.  He deserves it.  I would like him to support me here with the guys.

That's just one example.  He should be happy.  We are all feeling the pinch right now but I've got him more money than most here.  At least show the appreciation for it.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4415 on: November 16, 2022, 12:39:36 PM »
The recognition is the meal and the gift.

I recognize that.  ;D

I take pride in my work, yet I'm not attending a dinner. It doesn't make me ungrateful.
Like Cram said, just politely decline.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #4416 on: November 16, 2022, 12:41:58 PM »
Now I'm here to bitch about our employees.  They are ungrateful.  We are setting up a party for them on December 1st.  They get a $300 present of their choice.  They are all bitching that they have to pick a present and want a gift card.  The company can't for tax purposes.  Then some don't want to travel to the restaurant 20 minutes from the warehouse.  Are you kidding me?!  Other mad that they are not getting paid saying it's on company time.  Only those scheduled to work while we shut down will get paid.  I had a guy complain that they are getting embroidered pull over jackets for us.  "I don't wear them."

I'm at my wits end with this.  I want them to bask in a huge accomplishment but a lot of them are acting like idiots.

Kind of with you on this one, Joe. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4417 on: November 16, 2022, 12:47:24 PM »
My #1 guy who started as a temp and grew to be able to run a site like me got a part time job, getting his foot into the Budweiser plant.  Don't blame him at all.  At $35.15 per hour, he should.  It takes a long time, (2 to 5 years) to get a full time job there.  He made promises and hasn't lived up to them here.  He's had a poor attitude to the presents the company wants to give for the Site Of the Year. 

Just this week, I had to remind him, I'm doing him a favor keeping his Full Time status to get insurance when he is not working 32 hours he promised he would.  I even reminded him that I've allowed it because I want him to get the other job without losing the insurance.  I told him to stop poisoning others because he has one foot out the door. Now he's kissing my ass this week.  Funny how he didn't remember how much I've done for him.

BTW, when they called I gave him a glaring review.  He deserves it.  I would like him to support me here with the guys.

That's just one example.  He should be happy.  We are all feeling the pinch right now but I've got him more money than most here.  At least show the appreciation for it.

Yeah, this would make me very upset and mad too.  It's OK if you don't like or want the extras you are receiving, but to not respect the person who has been looking out for you is poor form.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4418 on: November 16, 2022, 04:54:21 PM »
Now I'm here to bitch about our employees.  They are ungrateful.  We are setting up a party for them on December 1st.  They get a $300 present of their choice.  They are all bitching that they have to pick a present and want a gift card.  The company can't for tax purposes.  Then some don't want to travel to the restaurant 20 minutes from the warehouse.  Are you kidding me?!  Other mad that they are not getting paid saying it's on company time.  Only those scheduled to work while we shut down will get paid.  I had a guy complain that they are getting embroidered pull over jackets for us.  "I don't wear them."

I'm at my wits end with this.  I want them to bask in a huge accomplishment but a lot of them are acting like idiots.

Give these ungrateful cunts nothing. 

I work for a government body and get fucking nothing.  I would be stoked with a $300 gift, no matter what it is.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4419 on: November 16, 2022, 04:56:28 PM »
I want my store to do well, so they won't close it. If my store won Store Of The Country, other than a yeah, that's great, I wouldn't care, and I wouldn't likely go to a dinner to celebrate it. People care about their paychecks. That's generally it. Me, I like the satisfaction to know I worked hard and did a good job. Other than sustainability as a company, I don't give a shit about any accolades that some higher up can bask in.

And I'm not jaded. Anything but. That's just how it works.

I generally agree with this.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4420 on: November 16, 2022, 05:30:22 PM »
Some are happy to get presents one wants a TV, the other wants a watch, a fishing pole.  A 6 person and 4 person rafts.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4421 on: November 16, 2022, 05:50:14 PM »
Joe, your epic fail was not offering hookers and beer. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4422 on: November 16, 2022, 05:50:50 PM »

It's New Hampshire. A fishing pole and a raft is where it's at.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4423 on: November 16, 2022, 05:52:44 PM »

Ah.  See, I have never been to the Northeast, so I am outta my depth.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4424 on: November 16, 2022, 05:53:58 PM »
New Hampshire is practically Canada.

Oh, and you should come to the Northeast!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4425 on: November 16, 2022, 05:55:20 PM »
Someday.  Maybe.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4426 on: November 16, 2022, 06:06:07 PM »
Some are happy to get presents one wants a TV, the other wants a watch, a fishing pole.  A 6 person and 4 person rafts.

I've worked for the Council here for 14 years.  In that time I've only gotten a VIP bonus once and I was pretty stoked.  I know managers get their bonuses each year and I couldn't care less.  Some deserve it, some don't, whatever.  But I was grateful to get that bonus, even though I've done so many free hours.  There's no point complaining and people that do get these sorts of things given to them and still complain just pisses me off.  I understand how you feel, but that's kind of how it is, and as the generations come through and years go by, it's not going to get any better.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4427 on: November 16, 2022, 06:12:47 PM »
I know. It's just depressing that they are acting like this. I feel like all I do doesn't matter to them

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4428 on: November 16, 2022, 06:19:02 PM »
I know. It's just depressing that they are acting like this. I feel like all I do doesn't matter to them

Just know that you do do everything you can for them mate.  You know yourself you go above and beyond for them and that's what matters.  They can see that though I'm sure but sometimes as Tim kinda mentioned, no matter what, people are still gonna act like this.  It seems the world these days is every man for themselves no matter how much you do for others.  it's when your presence isn't there though, that's when it would be felt unfortunately and people will realise how much you do and care.  until then, they'll continue to take the piss.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4429 on: November 16, 2022, 06:23:52 PM »
I learned a long time ago to take pride in how I treat people, and not to worry about how they felt about it.
My job as a manager was to help the workers achieve their goals. Guide and counsel as needed. Once that happens, it's really out of my hands.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4430 on: November 16, 2022, 06:25:41 PM »
And Joe, what should make you feel extremely good is that your workers do perform their jobs well. Hell, I heard you guys just won site of the year. You've helped to create and foster an environment for that to happen. You have done your job.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4431 on: November 16, 2022, 06:26:46 PM »
I know. It's just weird to see them be so selfish. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4432 on: November 16, 2022, 06:31:24 PM »
And Joe, what should make you feel extremely good is that your workers do perform their jobs well. Hell, I heard you guys just won site of the year. You've helped to create and foster an environment for that to happen. You have done your job.

100%.  No matter what they think or how they act, these have come from your direction and leadership. 

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #4433 on: November 17, 2022, 12:04:57 AM »

I'd be completely satisfied if my company did this. My only question would be, what is meant by "my choice"?. And how can they not understand the reason for why they can't get a gift card?

I can understand not being able to attend the dinner party. But  if I wasn't able to attend, would I still get the gifts?

And lastly, those workers getting paid would be getting paid regardless, it's not like they're getting time and a half for attending. I think some employees are just upset some co-workers are getting paid to have fun, while they are not. Without realizing, their co-workers are still on the clock and can't really "have fun" as they have to go back and work after.

Its all perspective, and I would see this as an opportunity to experience an achievement for everyone's hard work. Do they even realize that without you all, your site wouldn't have hit the achievement of "Site of the Year". This is an actual real life achievement too, not something you get while playing Xbox.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #4434 on: November 17, 2022, 06:51:48 AM »

Dude, no lie; in my old company we had a guy out of our Manchester, NH office do some exemplary work, and my boss asked him what his wife would like (thinking it might be a nice gesture to give a "night out" kind of gift) and he said "new tires for the truck".  My boss laughed and said no seriously, and he said "new tires for the truck".   $1000 and a trip to Town Fair Tire, and we had one happy employee. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4435 on: November 17, 2022, 07:42:35 AM »
Nothing says employee appreciation like new tires for the truck! :lol

I believe it. At the end of the day, people appreciate something practical.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4436 on: November 17, 2022, 07:45:48 AM »

Hey, I'm getting a new electric start generator. 7500.  :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4437 on: November 17, 2022, 07:48:25 AM »

That's awesome. :metal

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4438 on: November 17, 2022, 08:07:12 AM »

Dude, no lie; in my old company we had a guy out of our Manchester, NH office do some exemplary work, and my boss asked him what his wife would like (thinking it might be a nice gesture to give a "night out" kind of gift) and he said "new tires for the truck".  My boss laughed and said no seriously, and he said "new tires for the truck".   $1000 and a trip to Town Fair Tire, and we had one happy employee.

Many years ago when my company did little spot bonus's for good work, my boss asked me what's something in the ~ $150 value you'd like?  I was like uhhh (I wasn't prepared to answer as I didn't know he was seriously asking) and said "Van Halen tickets?" next thing you know my brother and I were seeing them a few days later and actually ended up being the last time I got to see them in 2015.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #4439 on: November 17, 2022, 09:25:49 AM »
Now that is how you seize the moment and opportunity.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4440 on: November 17, 2022, 07:33:53 PM »

Know what is practical? Cash. :P :P

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4441 on: November 17, 2022, 07:35:43 PM »

Can't give 'em cash. Read the OP!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4442 on: November 17, 2022, 07:36:36 PM »

Can't give 'em cash. Read the OP!

I'm too old to remember what we were talking about yesterday.  :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #4443 on: November 17, 2022, 08:42:33 PM »

That's awesome. :metal

Shit dude. My hardwired natural gas generator cost less than that. Installed.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4444 on: November 18, 2022, 04:29:23 AM »
No. It's not $7500.  It's wattage.   It's about $1150.