Author Topic: DTF Chat Thread v.BrexitMeansBrexit  (Read 291621 times)

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
Re: DTF Chat Thread v.BrexitMeansBrexit
« Reply #4375 on: November 16, 2022, 07:02:44 AM »
If I was offered a $300 gift when I worked in retail, I would've been so happy. All I got was a reminder that sales people were getting a nice commission check, and warehouse workers got a "thank You" email from corporate lol.

Joe, you can't please everyone, if some workers end up not going for whatever reason, it's their lost (Though maybe some peer pressure could help).
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #4376 on: November 16, 2022, 07:04:02 AM »
Never have I deal with people living in the negative and self centered like this.  I told them I want them to bask in this moment.  It's all for them.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4377 on: November 16, 2022, 07:08:34 AM »
Joe, they don't have to go to the restaurant? Like if they don't go, they still get their gift?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4378 on: November 16, 2022, 07:15:33 AM »
Joe, they don't have to go to the restaurant? Like if they don't go, they still get their gift?

They still get their gifts.  I'm not forcing anyone to go by it will look bad if many don't show up.  They can also bring a plus 1 too!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4379 on: November 16, 2022, 07:20:10 AM »

They still get their gifts.  I'm not forcing anyone to go by it will look bad if many don't show up.  They can also bring a plus 1 too!

Hasn't the company off site party kind of fallen off though? If I was a worker, I wouldn't go, honestly.
Besides, I can't say I agree with the decision to pay some to go, but not the others.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4380 on: November 16, 2022, 07:33:37 AM »

Hasn't the company off site party kind of fallen off though? If I was a worker, I wouldn't go, honestly.
Besides, I can't say I agree with the decision to pay some to go, but not the others.

The ones getting paid are the one's schedules to work that night.  They still have to go to work after the party.  We are shutting down 1/2 the night.

Besides, you're an old curmudgeon who hate going anywhere. LOL

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4381 on: November 16, 2022, 07:48:51 AM »
It's tough. While I do think companies overvalue parties like this, if they don't do it, employees will just bitch that "they didn't do anything for us.."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4382 on: November 16, 2022, 08:08:50 AM »
It's tough. While I do think companies overvalue parties like this, if they don't do it, employees will just bitch that "they didn't do anything for us.."

Yeah but this isn't any ordinary party.  It for Site of the Year!  You never know if you'll win another.  11 years we've strived for this and we finally did it.  They should be basking in the glory of it all right now.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4383 on: November 16, 2022, 08:56:58 AM »
I'm actually with Tim, I don't think I'd attend if I can get the gift card without doing so.  People have lives outside of work, if you expect attendance then it should be paid. Gas isn't free, time isn't free either.  I understand it is meant to be for the employees, but this seems to only benefit those on shift for attending.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4384 on: November 16, 2022, 09:06:32 AM »

Yeah but this isn't any ordinary party.  It for Site of the Year!  You never know if you'll win another.  11 years we've strived for this and we finally did it.  They should be basking in the glory of it all right now.

Most workers don't care about that. it's really Management that only cares. Plus, if they're getting a $300 gift, many are likely resentful that members of Management are likely getting a much larger one.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4385 on: November 16, 2022, 09:33:42 AM »
They got $1800 in bonuses so far this year.  I have not.  I will at the end of the fiscal year.  I don't expect all of them to go, but the negativity of something they've talked about wanting is shocking.  You've got to remember.  This is a small get together. 45 people if all went.  You guys are thinking along the lines of the whole company.  in 11 plus years our site never won this.  It's important. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4386 on: November 16, 2022, 09:37:17 AM »
I dont think it's cool to complain against getting a bonus.  That seems messed up.  But I would politely say thank you for the gift card, I appreciate it, but I can't make the get together. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4387 on: November 16, 2022, 09:41:05 AM »
I want my store to do well, so they won't close it. If my store won Store Of The Country, other than a yeah, that's great, I wouldn't care, and I wouldn't likely go to a dinner to celebrate it. People care about their paychecks. That's generally it. Me, I like the satisfaction to know I worked hard and did a good job. Other than sustainability as a company, I don't give a shit about any accolades that some higher up can bask in.

And I'm not jaded. Anything but. That's just how it works.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4388 on: November 16, 2022, 09:45:23 AM »
And I'm fine with that.  I've skipped Christmas parties before. But there has been so much complaining it's mind boggling.  They don't want to invest time thinking about a present I will go out and get them.  Complaining about getting a pull over Jacket.  That's why I'm upset. 

I want my store to do well, so they won't close it. If my store won Store Of The Country, other than a yeah, that's great, I wouldn't care, and I wouldn't likely go to a dinner to celebrate it. People care about their paychecks. That's generally it. Me, I like the satisfaction to know I worked hard and did a good job. Other than sustainability as a company, I don't give a shit about any accolades that some higher up can bask in.

Last year I fought to get them 2 increases in their pay.  They received over $2000.00 in bonuses last year for being safe.  They are being showered and taken care of.  Your talking about a situation you know nothing about Tim.  I've pushed for every employee to make more.  I think you're off base.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4389 on: November 16, 2022, 09:53:41 AM »
What you did for your employees over the years doesn't make me off base at all. I'm just giving you my two cents of how I believe employees generally feel. I have 30 years experience of managing people, so I think I can speak to that.

You're a good boss fighting for them. There will be people that feel loyalty to you for that. But some people never get past the manager/employee thing, where they're resentful of management, no matter how fair you feel you have been to them.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4390 on: November 16, 2022, 09:56:35 AM »
This is this past year Tim not over the years.  I get that but they were all excited winning.  I guess the presents, food, jackets their bonuses are not enough.  Funny thing is, we will have a big % raise next year for this too.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4391 on: November 16, 2022, 09:58:39 AM »
The complaining is not cool at all.  Why make a big deal out of the jacket?  I've received some free swag from work before that I wouldn't wear out of my house, but I'm not going to complain about it.  My coworker actually complained about the swag a few months ago and he looked very bad in doing that. Like what's the point of complaining about these things?  You aren't going to get something better for it and you are just going to look ungrateful. 

I still stand by my thoughts on my time outside of work.  My company used to have quarterly get togethers after work, paid for by the company like going bowling, to a movie, or just to a bar, but just getting there would cost me time and money and I went to some, especially early in my career here because I thought the mingling would be good, but after doing a few, I felt it was not worth my time or money.  However, I still go to them when they do them during work hours which is rare these days.  I certainly wouldn't complain about the company hosting these either, just graciously decline.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4392 on: November 16, 2022, 10:00:07 AM »
And like I said Marc, I get not going but all this other complaining is was bugs me.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4393 on: November 16, 2022, 10:02:33 AM »
This is this past year Tim not over the years.  I get that but they were all excited winning.  I guess the presents, food, jackets their bonuses are not enough.  Funny thing is, we will have a big % raise next year for this too.

Awesome. It really is. There's good management there and I can appreciate that.

And like I said Marc, I get not going but all this other complaining is was bugs me.

Don't let it get to you, Joe. They're not doing it on purpose to spite you. That's just how people are.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4394 on: November 16, 2022, 10:04:40 AM »
I try not to but I'm mad right now.  I'll get over it but it feels like a slap in the face right now.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4395 on: November 16, 2022, 10:06:35 AM »
That's fucked up.  As regular workers, all they are entitled to is their weekly paycheck.  Now the company has doled out bonuses already, and now they've achieved a big result and the company wants to reward them with a dinner (even including a +1) and a gift for their accomplishments?  I would be there in a heartbeat. 

Bunch of ungrateful ingrates.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4396 on: November 16, 2022, 10:08:03 AM »
I try not to but I'm mad right now.  I'll get over it but it feels like a slap in the face right now.

I can see how you feel that way.  I don't understand why someone would be upset with a gift card they otherwise wouldn't of had and it can even be attributed to how you, the manager, pushed them to get that award.  That's certainly a shitty feeling.  I do see where Tim is coming from though, for some people, it's never enough.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4397 on: November 16, 2022, 10:10:02 AM »
That's fucked up.  As regular workers, all they are entitled to is their weekly paycheck.  Now the company has doled out bonuses already, and now they've achieved a big result and the company wants to reward them with a dinner (even including a +1) and a gift for their accomplishments?  I would be there in a heartbeat. 

No they're not. They're just people working a job.

You have to be careful to not place expectations of people, especially how you expect them to feel.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4398 on: November 16, 2022, 10:10:44 AM »
Oh and Joe, I surely don't know the nature and severity of the actual complaints....

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4399 on: November 16, 2022, 10:11:44 AM »
I'm emotional invested in them.  I expect better from them.  They know I'm disappointed right now.  I was so happy for them!  Now it feels cheapened.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4400 on: November 16, 2022, 10:14:30 AM »
I'm emotional invested in them. 

That's a mistake on your part.

BTW, your work/DTF ratio hasn't been very good this morning.  :lol

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4401 on: November 16, 2022, 10:23:19 AM »
I feel like I spend enough time with my coworkers and thinking about work. I'd much rather the company just take whatever that dinner was going to cost and divide that sum and distribute it among those invited. $50+ will provide me with way more food than that one dinner would. Better yet, flip us all an extra day of PTO or something instead. Short of a raise, that's one of the best rewards a company can give.

Dinner never really resonated with me as a reward, even if there is stuff being handed out like bonuses. It's a nice gesture, but management shouldn't get upset when employees might want to do something else in their non-scheduled work time. It still ends up feeling like work somehow.

That's just me though. Love yah Joe!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4402 on: November 16, 2022, 10:33:06 AM »

BTW, your work/DTF ratio hasn't been very good this morning.  :lol

Lol believe it or not, it's average right now. Wal mart sending their recieving crew home early today, 2 hours.   It's unheard of at this time of the year.

People are definitely not spending money right now

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #4403 on: November 16, 2022, 11:02:53 AM »

Most workers don't care about that. it's really Management that only cares. Plus, if they're getting a $300 gift, many are likely resentful that members of Management are likely getting a much larger one.

This I have a beef with ... management should management get more.  They already get more of everything -  responsibilities, accountability, bullshit, headaches, problems, challenges ... more of everything (except time off probably).  That (imo) more than entitles them to get more reward and recognition.  If one resents managers for getting more incentives/rewards, then take on more all that other shit too.

You (royal) take the good with the bad.

Based on everything you've stated, yes you are.  :biggrin:  Not everyone sees things this way.  I took advantage of pretty much any 'perk' that the companies I've worked for offered - ESPECIALLY anything that also allowed mrs.jingle to participate; it was kind of like a recognition of the sacrifices she made for my career/job success.

No... you're not jaded at all.   ::) :lol
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4404 on: November 16, 2022, 11:27:42 AM »
If one resents managers for getting more incentives/rewards, then take on more all that other shit too.

I agree. I have no patience for people that just complain.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4405 on: November 16, 2022, 11:31:44 AM »

Based on everything you've stated, yes you are.  :biggrin:  Not everyone sees things this way.  I took advantage of pretty much any 'perk' that the companies I've worked for offered - ESPECIALLY anything that also allowed mrs.jingle to participate; it was kind of like a recognition of the sacrifices she made for my career/job success.

Of course not everyone sees things the same way.
The other thing is that you have more of a professional career than I think most of the people Joe deals with, or I have dealt with.

I mean, you just have to look at The Great Resignation that has gone on.

No I don't think I'm jaded at all. I'm just speaking from my own experience of about 30 years. I'm not bitter in anyway or frustrated.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #4406 on: November 16, 2022, 12:00:16 PM »
I think we have slightly different interpretations of "jaded".  I don't think you're bitter at all.

"Cynically or pretentiously callous."

Definitely not pretentious .. but you can be cynical (hell, all us fogeys are).  And I'd say you're more "prickly" than "callous".   :lol
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4407 on: November 16, 2022, 12:07:33 PM »
I think we have slightly different interpretations of "jaded".  I don't think you're bitter at all.

"Cynically or pretentiously callous."

Definitely not pretentious .. but you can be cynical (hell, all us fogeys are).  And I'd say you're more "prickly" than "callous".   :lol

Yeah, maybe I can be prickly and a bit cynical. But it's cynicism based on personal observation and experience. I'm not a pessimist by nature.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4408 on: November 16, 2022, 12:09:49 PM »

No they're not. They're just people working a job.
Yes they are.

If they were JUST people working a job, they probably wouldn't have performed at a level high enough to achieve this.

Joe, I say cancel the dinner for everyone except the management, since no one else gives a fuck, and to hell with the gifts.  They are just people working a job, so they will be happy with just their paycheck.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4409 on: November 16, 2022, 12:16:24 PM »

If they were JUST people working a job, they probably wouldn't have performed at a level high enough to achieve this.

That's not true at all, and I'm not the one that capitalized JUST. A general worker can still work with pride. They are obviously well managed and given the right framework, an average skilled worker can still produce good results. These people can still take pride in their work.