Author Topic: DTF Chat Thread v.BrexitMeansBrexit  (Read 283265 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: DTF Chat Thread v.BrexitMeansBrexit
« Reply #3360 on: July 19, 2021, 06:22:29 AM »
Another tree fell in our yard.  That's 14 trees down in 18 years living there. On fell on our house in 2009 I think.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3361 on: July 19, 2021, 06:24:24 AM »
Another tree fell in our yard.  That's 14 trees down in 18 years living there. On fell on our house in 2009 I think.

Is everyone and the house ok? Our house was new in a new development when we moved in so our 6 trees were like 4ft tall, currently they are around 15 feet tall. It's been crazy watching them grow.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3362 on: July 19, 2021, 06:30:27 AM »
Lucky for us it fell in the yard and in part of the street.  My wife posted picks with me linked on Facebook, Karolis.  You should be able to see it.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3363 on: July 19, 2021, 07:05:52 AM »
Just logged in to have a look, that's a hell of tree. Was it wind damage or lightening?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3364 on: July 19, 2021, 07:23:55 AM »
We had heavy rains up to 4 to 6 inches.  It's been raining 2 weeks straight.  The tree was weak.  Came lose from the roots.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3365 on: July 19, 2021, 08:07:03 AM »
This rain is unbelievable. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3366 on: July 19, 2021, 08:11:54 AM »
It hasn't been raining crazy by me, but generally, the storms have been pretty wild this summer.  So much lightning and when it does rain, it's been hectic causing local roads to flood. 

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3367 on: July 19, 2021, 08:12:29 AM »

This is the wettest it's been in recent memory for me. It's not helping with the humidity at all either. Every time the sun comes out, we just get that much more vapor in the air.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3368 on: July 19, 2021, 08:42:40 AM »

This is the wettest it's been in recent memory for me. It's not helping with the humidity at all either. Every time the sun comes out, we just get that much more vapor in the air.

For some reason, the worst storms seem to be skating across Connecticut following the Massachusetts border.  Funny enough, I live about 200 yards from the Mass. border!   I've had violent storms probably half the days in July, at least one rain event every day in July, and including at least one tornado (in Somers, two days ago).

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3369 on: July 19, 2021, 06:11:42 PM »
It was biblical here on Saturday. A months worth of rain in about 9 hours. Lots of flooding around here.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3370 on: July 31, 2021, 03:47:09 PM »
What program/app do you all use to post personal images here? I need a recommendation. I only share pictures with family via Google Photos.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3371 on: July 31, 2021, 07:55:07 PM »
What program/app do you all use to post personal images here? I need a recommendation. I only share pictures with family via Google Photos.

I use Imgur.

If I can do it, it's idiot proof.. Just make an account. It's easy to upload images, and easy to post them.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3372 on: August 01, 2021, 05:02:01 AM »
If I can do it, it's idiot proof..

Oh, that is sig-worthy!  Thanks  :tup
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3373 on: August 01, 2021, 07:12:28 AM »
That's what I do as well.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3374 on: August 01, 2021, 08:47:52 AM »
If I can do it, it's idiot proof..

Oh, that is sig-worthy!  Thanks  :tup

:lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3375 on: August 01, 2021, 05:31:55 PM »

I use Imgur.

If I can do it, it's idiot proof.. Just make an account. It's easy to upload images, and easy to post them.

I feel like in the past 12 months I have doubled the number of online accounts I have - but that is mostly due to the kids.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3376 on: August 01, 2021, 06:36:46 PM »
I use postimage.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #3377 on: August 02, 2021, 08:59:55 AM »
I also use imgur, and haven't really deviated from it since it's been ages since I made my account so there's no reason to move my shit elsewhere. I stopped hosting my images on my own website because I didn't want to have floating directories outside the site's structure.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3378 on: August 02, 2021, 09:54:12 AM »
Yeah, Imgur is my choice as well. Been using it for years.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3379 on: August 02, 2021, 09:57:23 AM »
I use imgur as well, although most of the times it's usually a picture I tweeted so I just copy the link from there.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3380 on: August 02, 2021, 07:57:39 PM »
So I don't really know where to drop this so I'll do it here..

Before we left for our vacation last Thursday (7/22), my wife found out that her older brother was coming home so he could die at home. I offered to cancel the trip, but my wife's nephew said he'd still be there when we got back, which was last Thursday night. We went over Friday morning and yikes, he was on death's door. My wife sat with him and he seemed to respond. Even wanted to sit up a bit, though his speech was really tough to understand. My wife was close to him, and I think he really waited for her to come before he let go.
My wife is the third of four siblings and each of them would probably consider my wife their closest. She really seems to run a chord throughout the family.

We went back over Saturday morning and he wasn't going to make it. His wife/son last gave him morphine around 3:30am. He was still breathing when we got there. My wife sat for a couple of hours at his bedside talking to him. He has a 3 y/o granddaughter, and when my wife mentioned her name, a tear appeared under his left eye. But he was clearly on his way out. He passed while my wife and I, along with her younger brother (who is the same age as me) where sitting with him.

My wife is quite sad, and I really feel for my mother in law, who has just outlived one of her children. Brutal. My wife's brother was 62.

The service will be on Saturday, so it's back to work for us tomorrow.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3381 on: August 02, 2021, 08:04:32 PM »
Wow. Thank you for feeling comfortable sharing that. I have only had two people I was close to pass away (my mom's parents), and that happened when I was much younger. My mom kept me posted as the end was coming, and we all agreed that I wouldn't see them, so as to best remember them when they were full of life.

Cosmo's thread reminded me I was right there with my cat when she died, and that was pretty goddamn hard, but with her, I felt that was how I wanted it to be, I wanted her to know I was there with her at the end.

I have no idea how I am going to handle the deaths of my parents, and, possibly worse, how I am going to handle the deaths of my wife's parents with her.

Sorry I totally made that post about me. Be strong for the Missus, TAC, as I know you will.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3382 on: August 02, 2021, 08:10:43 PM »
Thanks Chris. My father in law died in 2007. That was really tough on my wife.

I have an odd story about that. You guys familiar with the movie Meet Joe Black? Well, my wife and I had watched it a number of times, and I always said that is just like her family. My wife seemed to be the peach of her father's eye, just as the daughter was to Anthony Hopkins, and then there was the older sister who kept talking and trying for approval, but just couldn't reach the sweet spot. Well, that's my wife's family, and I always said that. My wife knew it was true.

Anyway, the morning my father passed away (my wife was there, I was home with our kids), once I got the kids in school, I ran down to my MiL's house. As soon as I get there, my wife, her sister, and her mother head off to the funeral home to make plans. That leaves me alone in my in law's house. I turn on the TV and what's playing as soon as the picture appears? Meet Joe Black!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3383 on: August 03, 2021, 06:05:32 AM »
Those kind of things are not coincidences in my world. I have no explanation for it, and my "science" brain is strong, but I just can't fully wrap my head around the idea that of the 500,000 +/- movies in existence, that's the one that was on your TV set.

I've never met her, TAC, but certainly your wife and your family have my condolences; I'm sorry for your loss.

My parents are 82 (dad) and 84 (mom).  Mom has Alzheimer's Dementia, and dad's list of ailments is as long as both my arms and half of TAC's (he's been handicapped since I was about 7 or 8 or so).  His cognizance is starting to fail as well, and it's sad. I've already told both my wife and my therapist that even though I'm already sort of preparing for the inevitable, I can't imagine a life without them in it.  It's a weird place to be, emotionally, to be honest.  I get sad - I cry easily - but I tend to get over things fairly quickly.  I feel like that's not going to be the case with my parents (though it was with my grandparents, including my grandmother to whom I was VERY close and still think of frequently, 30 years after her passing). 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3384 on: August 03, 2021, 07:47:49 AM »
So I don't really know where to drop this so I'll do it here..

Before we left for our vacation last Thursday (7/22), my wife found out that her older brother was coming home so he could die at home. I offered to cancel the trip, but my wife's nephew said he'd still be there when we got back, which was last Thursday night. We went over Friday morning and yikes, he was on death's door. My wife sat with him and he seemed to respond. Even wanted to sit up a bit, though his speech was really tough to understand. My wife was close to him, and I think he really waited for her to come before he let go.
My wife is the third of four siblings and each of them would probably consider my wife their closest. She really seems to run a chord throughout the family.

We went back over Saturday morning and he wasn't going to make it. His wife/son last gave him morphine around 3:30am. He was still breathing when we got there. My wife sat for a couple of hours at his bedside talking to him. He has a 3 y/o granddaughter, and when my wife mentioned her name, a tear appeared under his left eye. But he was clearly on his way out. He passed while my wife and I, along with her younger brother (who is the same age as me) where sitting with him.

My wife is quite sad, and I really feel for my mother in law, who has just outlived one of her children. Brutal. My wife's brother was 62.

The service will be on Saturday, so it's back to work for us tomorrow.

I'm so sorry Tim.  Man this is heartbreaking to read.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3385 on: August 03, 2021, 07:51:45 AM »
I'm so sorry for your loss Tim, that's got to be so hard for your wife and family. 

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3386 on: August 03, 2021, 09:52:32 AM »
Hugs for Mrs TAC from the forum.

And yeah... that wasn't a coincidence that Meet Joe Black was on.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #3387 on: August 03, 2021, 10:00:45 AM »
My condolences are added as well, TAC.  I'm sorry for your loss and for the anguish your wife is undoubtedly experiencing.

I do believe sometimes loved ones 'wait' for specific family members before they shuffle off this mortal coil.  I saw this happen with both my grandmother and my step-father.

Sometimes it can even be helpful to reassure them that it is ok to go, especially if it seems like they are suffering.  When my mom was in the ICU just before she passed, my sister told her to go find her best friend (who had died a couple of years prior) and that seemed to help.  She had a more restful night and passed once we had them shut off the machines keeping her alive.  Now I find solace in thinking of those 2 together again.   They are undoubtedly plotting something hilarious.  :heart
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3388 on: August 03, 2021, 01:04:35 PM »
It's probably for another thread, or maybe not even appropriate for A thread, but there are just too many odd things that surround people in my family passing for it not to be "something".   My grandfather, I believe, knew exactly when he was going to pass.  He went to doctors and all, but he was old school.  He was a hard man, not very emotive, but he loved his family in his own way.  He had lost two daughters to cancer, and never really bounced back from that.  He had started to have problems with his liver, and one day he went into his den (where he spent most of his down time), closed the door (which he NEVER, EVER did), sat down to watch the Mets (which he did religiously) and fell asleep, never to wake up.   I don't think he committed suicide or anything like that, but you will never convince me he didn't know he was never coming out of that room again.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #3389 on: August 03, 2021, 01:09:42 PM »
My condolences, Tim.

I don't have that much in the way of "coincidences" with deaths in my family. The only one is that my aunt, mother's oldest sister, who had been in hospice for weeks and we thought was actually gone a week prior (crossed information from family members), passed at 7:30am the exact same day my son was born, at 12:36pm. I don't put any vested weight on that timing, nor have I felt any other "irregularities" surrounding the deaths of those in my family. The only one that could have been a conscious thing was most likely, knowing he one involved, merely by chance than by effort.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3390 on: August 03, 2021, 02:05:50 PM »
Hey thanks guys. I appreciate it.

Yesterday (the day after) we gathered at my MiL's house, and actually celebrated my stepson's partner's birthday, and my wife's sister's husband's (well, they're not actually married, but may as well be) birthdays. And it's my wife's birthday tomorrow..

Every time we used to watch Meet Joe Black, even before her father died, I used to say, well I guess this means I'm Brad Pitt! If I ever needed an eyeroll from my wife that usually did the trick.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3391 on: August 03, 2021, 06:25:50 PM »
Just read this thread, and sorry to hear that as well, Tim.  :( :(

Condolences to you and your wife and her whole family.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3392 on: August 03, 2021, 07:34:12 PM »
Thanks Kev!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3393 on: August 03, 2021, 08:34:16 PM »
Dude, that is a horrible thing for you and your wife to go through.  You wrote that story really well too Tim I must say.  Hugs to you guys and I know you'll be the rock your partner needs right now mate.  It's great he was able to pull through until you got back to see him.

62 also is not old at all, far from it.  Life really sucks sometimes.  Thanks for sharing with us mate.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3394 on: August 03, 2021, 08:40:51 PM »
Dude, that is a horrible thing for you and your wife to go through.  You wrote that story really well too Tim I must say.  Hugs to you guys and I know you'll be the rock your partner needs right now mate.  It's great he was able to pull through until you got back to see him.

62 also is not old at all, far from it.  Life really sucks sometimes.  Thanks for sharing with us mate.

Thanks Kade. I appreciate it.

There was a time when I thought anyone over 50 was ancient. Isn't that so fucked? It couldn't be further from the truth.