Author Topic: DTF Chat Thread v.BrexitMeansBrexit  (Read 284820 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: DTF Chat Thread v.BrexitMeansBrexit
« Reply #3080 on: April 16, 2021, 03:18:17 PM »
Yep, because they know any good employee not only won't abuse it, but is likely to take less days than they would have had they still gotten a specific x-number of days per year, and a bad employee who does abuse it probably isn't long for the company anyway and this way they don't have to pay them for any unused vacation days if/when they quit.

The only limit on our new policy is that it can only be used for a maximum of 10 consecutive work days, which I feel makes sense. Someone on the call asked if it was possible to take 10 days, work for a day, then take another 10 days, to which the answer was yes, but then they'd have to re-evaluate, if the can afford to let them take off for 20 of 21 days, do they really need them on payroll....shut that one person up real quick.

And I agree with you, Kev. By almost all accounts, unlimited leave makes sense, and it really is an antiquated way of thinking that prevents it becoming the norm. It's a similar mindset to the one that strongly opposes remote work (for those whose jobs allow it); that flexibility and fluidity equate to abuse and neglect. I've worked for so many people that felt if they didn't see you every hour of every day, you were stealing from them. For me personally, it's refreshing and rewarding to finally be at a company that is embracing this flexibility and balance.

I'd love unlimited days off, as I'd be someone who still takes about the same, but then I wouldn't stress using them too quickly. I do the same thing every year, where I don't take too many early in my calendar year cause I don't want to run out of them in case a need a bunch later on, and then I end up with a ton left with three months left and end up taking off a bunch of random days and half-days just to use them.  And as we are getting busier, taking random days off gets less enticing as playing catch-up when I get back is almost not worth taking off.  The last 1/2 day I took last month, to get my wisdom teeth pulled, I came back to around 150 emails from having just that Friday afternoon off.  Now, granted, 139 emails were ones I could put in proper folders and move on cause it was all taken care of (my job has to get done by others when I am not here), but it's time-consuming to sort through them all and deal with the new stuff incoming that morning at the same time.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3081 on: April 17, 2021, 10:29:37 AM »
I don't consider myself a slave to my job - I call it a day after a certain time each day, I put my family first on weekends almost without fail, and generally my time here certainly attests to my willingness to separate - but I'm also paid to work. I'm paid to deliver.  I'm also not interested in delivering the bare minimum.  I'm not interested in people telling my boss "well, I tried to get Stads, but he wasn't answering his phone" or "he's not in until next Tuesday".  Granted, the world needs utility infielders, but if you're the one in the car accident, or with the estate that needs servicing, do you want your attorney to be "a utility infielder"?   Or your doctor?  Now that's you; but why should your company be any different? 

I struggle with this when having these conversations.  People DO talk; people DO notice those that seem to disappear right at 5:00 every day, or that let things just sit until they return. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3082 on: April 18, 2021, 08:41:17 AM »
My cousin is coming over to watch the Synder cut of Justice League.   4 hours of yapping away like teenagers.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3083 on: April 19, 2021, 10:18:20 AM »
My cousin is coming over to watch the Synder cut of Justice League.   4 hours of yapping away like teenagers.

That sounds like a fucking BLAST (being dead serious, no sarcasm). 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3084 on: April 19, 2021, 11:02:40 AM »
Wifey made some grilled cheese with bacon and tomatoes and some artisan bread.  It was killer.  We were all ready for a nap since the movie was 4 hours.  :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3085 on: April 19, 2021, 11:54:56 AM »
Having grilled cheese makes sense considering how cheesy those movies are.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3086 on: April 19, 2021, 12:06:05 PM »
Having grilled cheese makes sense considering how cheesy those movies are.

So when you listen to outdated metal do you eat past date foods? :biggrin:

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3087 on: April 19, 2021, 12:55:29 PM »
Snap!   :)

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #3088 on: April 20, 2021, 04:32:31 AM »
I haven’t been back to DTF, like REALLY back, in a few years. Activity seems rather low compared to when I left. What’s up?
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3089 on: April 20, 2021, 05:22:59 AM »
I haven’t been back to DTF, like REALLY back, in a few years. Activity seems rather low compared to when I left. What’s up?

This thread doesn't move as fast... more than a handful of regulars have left over the years for one reason or another, and not much new blood has come in.  I guess DT doesn't attract a lot of new fans, and website forums are a dying medium anyway.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #3090 on: April 20, 2021, 10:02:56 AM »

This thread doesn't move as fast... more than a handful of regulars have left over the years for one reason or another, and not much new blood has come in.  I guess DT doesn't attract a lot of new fans, and website forums are a dying medium anyway.

Yeah, I really meant in general, not this specific thread. I remember a time when I could barely keep up with my ‘new replies’ page and now it seems like it takes till the end of the day for most threads. Damn shame. I may not like DT anymore but I’ve missed this community.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3091 on: April 20, 2021, 10:52:25 AM »
I think we communicate in other media, (Facebook, Twitter) that we use the chat less these days. 

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #3092 on: April 20, 2021, 12:26:21 PM »
Seeing this thread and the forum slowing down makes me sad.

Also going to the optometrist and finding out that I need 2 different glasses prescriptions makes me feel old :lol
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #3093 on: April 20, 2021, 02:10:50 PM »
I think we communicate in other media, (Facebook, Twitter) that we use the chat less these days.

That's too damn bad. I actually deleted all of my social media a couple years back because I realized it was just making me unhappy.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3094 on: April 20, 2021, 02:21:05 PM »

We do?? :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3095 on: April 20, 2021, 02:36:35 PM »

We do?? :lol

99.9 of us here Tim you old cahoot! :lol

That's too damn bad. I actually deleted all of my social media a couple years back because I realized it was just making me unhappy.

Oh I understand. I'm at the point when I scroll by.  Makes my life much better.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3096 on: April 20, 2021, 03:27:39 PM »
I don't post in P/R anymore, but good to see that Chauvin was found guilty on all charges.  It's clear as day that he was guilty, and if the verdict had gone the other day, I shudder to think of what the rest of the week or even month would have looked like for the country.  I won't say this will help towards healing because I think we are too broken as a society to be healed in any real way in my lifetime, but at least this will stop a little bit of the bleeding for a bit.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3097 on: April 20, 2021, 03:49:25 PM »
It's crazy to think it took 9 & 1/2 minutes to subdue him.  4 guys should of had him in the back of their car at some point. 

I do think he put himself in a poor position resisting arrest.

In this day and age don't fight you never know what can happen.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3098 on: April 20, 2021, 10:16:42 PM »
It's crazy to think it took 9 & 1/2 minutes to subdue him.  4 guys should of had him in the back of their car at some point. 

I do think he put himself in a poor position resisting arrest.

In this day and age don't fight you never know what can happen.

He was in the back of the car, and they were allegedly beating the crap out of him - then he got out and refused to get back in (geez, I wonder why!?).
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3099 on: April 21, 2021, 04:44:27 AM »
I did not know that. Still, I wouldn't trust the police and continue to act out. It never ends well. 

All I saw was the 9 plus minutes kn the ground.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3100 on: April 21, 2021, 04:55:39 AM »
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/new-video-shows-minneapolis-officers-appear-struggle-george-floyd-back-n1220856

Given how calm and nonchalant officer Thao is just standing there with his hands in his pockets, I don't for a second believe that it is Floyd putting up a fight with the officers - but the other way around.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #3101 on: April 21, 2021, 05:03:12 AM »
Can we just finally agree that ACAB?

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3102 on: April 21, 2021, 05:12:30 AM »
ABACAB? He's in anywhere.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3103 on: April 21, 2021, 05:17:41 AM »
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/new-video-shows-minneapolis-officers-appear-struggle-george-floyd-back-n1220856

Given how calm and nonchalant officer Thao is just standing there with his hands in his pockets, I don't for a second believe that it is Floyd putting up a fight with the officers - but the other way around.

Oof, I never saw or knew that. Was it ever brought up why they brought him back out of the car?

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #3104 on: April 21, 2021, 05:40:01 AM »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3105 on: April 27, 2021, 02:31:14 PM »
Today, I did something I haven't done in a long time.  I updated my concert calendar! I'm very skeptical of these being able to happen, but since these are all either recently announced or postponed from last year and still on, I figured there might be a shot.  I probably shouldn't get my hopes up.  All are outdoors except the last which is a smaller indoor venue.  Fingers crossed...

June 5th - Less Than Jake @ Atlantic City Beer Festival, Atlantic City NJ - NEW announcement
July 24th - Megadeth, Lamb of God, Trivium, In Flames @ PNC Bank Arts Center, Holmdel NJ - Previously rescheduled
August 28th - Deftones, Gojira, & Poppy @ Stone Pony Summer Stage, Asbury Park NJ - Newly rescheduled
September 1st - Alanis Morissette & Garbage @ PNC Bank Arts Center, Holmdel NJ - Previously rescheduled
September 14th - Aerosmith & Extreme @ Fenway Park, Boston MA - Previously rescheduled
September 22nd - Dave Matthews Band @ PNC Bank Arts Center, Holmdel NJ - Newly rescheduled
September 25th - Primus @ Stone Pony Summer Stage, Asbury Park NJ - Newly rescheduled
November 24th - Jinjer & Suicide Silence @ Theatre of Living Arts, Philadelphia PA - NEW announcement

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3106 on: April 27, 2021, 02:32:20 PM »
Primus Concert is now on the board for us as well.  Mass just announce that of August 1st venues will be allowed to be full capacity.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3107 on: April 27, 2021, 02:49:32 PM »
Primus Concert is now on the board for us as well.  Mass just announce that of August 1st venues will be allowed to be full capacity.

nice! It seems a lot of the summer concerts are being pushed to the backend of the summer.  NJ announced venues can increase capacity yesterday, but I haven't seen a timeline to get to 100%.  It's still pretty low and still requires a 6ft distance.  I wonder if promoters have more info about potential timelines for all these concerts to actually happen. Also interesting are some of the internation acts on the bill like Gojira.  We will see.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3108 on: April 27, 2021, 02:53:59 PM »
That's the Farewell to Kings tour, with Wolfmother opening, right?  I might have to hit that one hard.  They're in Boston, Wallingford, CT and New York City.  I ought to be able to make one of those. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3109 on: April 27, 2021, 02:59:53 PM »
That's the Farewell to Kings tour, with Wolfmother opening, right?  I might have to hit that one hard.  They're in Boston, Wallingford, CT and New York City.  I ought to be able to make one of those.

Yup, maybe take the trip a bit more south to the Jersey shore for a Saturday night!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3110 on: April 27, 2021, 03:21:14 PM »

Yup, maybe take the trip a bit more south to the Jersey shore for a Saturday night!

That's on the table; I'd love to go to Asbury Park to see a show.   :tup

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3111 on: April 28, 2021, 04:27:23 PM »

Didn't know Wolfmother were still a thing.  Their first album was a banger.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3112 on: May 10, 2021, 12:29:00 PM »
Here is some DTF trivia for you (for those that remember him):

AndyDT was last active on April 02, 2013.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3113 on: May 10, 2021, 01:31:03 PM »
Here is some DTF trivia for you (for those that remember him):

AndyDT was last active on April 02, 2013.

:andydt:

The OG of DTF trolling.

And stupidity.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3114 on: May 10, 2021, 01:33:05 PM »
I mean, kind of.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.