Author Topic: DTF Chat Thread v.BrexitMeansBrexit  (Read 283249 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: DTF Chat Thread v.BrexitMeansBrexit
« Reply #2975 on: March 18, 2021, 02:52:56 PM »
Shake my damn head.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #2976 on: March 18, 2021, 05:33:30 PM »
It's almost comical how ridiculous the whole thing was.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2977 on: March 19, 2021, 01:49:09 PM »
Time for Jay's Annoyance of the Day.

So my 30th birthday is next month. I've spent the last year with almost zero contact with people. For my birthday, my girlfriend is going to rent 2 or 3 cabins from getaway house in Big Bear (company that rents out like little single room cabins... They have sites all over the country.) For us, my best friends (husband and wife), and my other super close friend.  By that time we'll all be fully vaccinated (minus wife friend... Which isn't as much as an issue as one would think... You'll learn why in a second). All they'd need to do is show up and bring food. Hell, we are even paying the extra $40 so they can bring their dog.

When we decided we were going to do this... I immediately let my friends know my single friend basically told us to say when and he'll be there. My married friend, however, not so much.  We figured they'd be game... Since they've literally gone out of state every other month since the pandemic began. They have people over at their place. They don't take it seriously. Even though we basically said we're pretty much wide open... Tell us when you're free... We're getting pushback. First it was "oh we are flying out to see (wife's mother and brother) in Montana (whom they saw a few months ago). Then it was "oh we dont know if (he) can get the day off". That's why we are planning around them. She has a flexible schedule, and I know he can get 2 consecutive days off with this much heads up (since the schedule for april hasn't been made, and even if we have to do it in May... That schedule hasn't been even thought about yet. I worked there for a short period... I know how their schedules work).

It's pretty frustrating to see them flying / driving across the country all the time. To see people over visiting them (they live in a different unit on the same property). To see them have BBQs and shit. Hell, they spent a week in Colorado last month... But I can't get a commitment for 2 nights 2 hours away a month and a half to 2 months in advance with people who are vaccinated and actually are more careful about Covid than your average folk.

We're probably just going to book all 3 cabins, give them the dates that we selected... And just cancel theirs (we have to cancel before the 72 hr mark) if they can't commit.

In the end I'm going to enjoy this nomatter what... Just a bummer if 2/3 of my closest friends decide they can't make it
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2978 on: March 19, 2021, 03:26:08 PM »
That sucks man. Invite RJ instead. He’ll make you dinner.

And then snuggle.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2979 on: March 20, 2021, 08:54:06 AM »
That sucks Jay hopefully they come around. I had a buddy who for some reason once he was married decided he was never going to be on time or commit to anything ever. It was like an on/off switch. I eventually just stopped inviting him out, hopefully your outcome is much better!

Got my braces on and I'm on day 3 uncomfortable to say the least, mainly because they adjusted my bite so I wouldn't bite down on my braces so I can't chew. It took me 15 minutes to eat a slice of a pizza with a knife and fork :lol. I'm going to be losing weight fast if this keeps up.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2980 on: March 20, 2021, 09:12:13 AM »
I hate people Jay.

Bought a new receiver today.  4k receiver.  Highest rated for low cost.  Our living room is small so it was perfect.  I also ordered a new router.  Wanted on a little stronger and a little faster.  Besides, the old one is 15 years old.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2981 on: March 20, 2021, 09:13:35 AM »
That sucks Jay hopefully they come around. I had a buddy who for some reason once he was married decided he was never going to be on time or commit to anything ever. It was like an on/off switch. I eventually just stopped inviting him out, hopefully your outcome is much better!

Got my braces on and I'm on day 3 uncomfortable to say the least, mainly because they adjusted my bite so I wouldn't bite down on my braces so I can't chew. It took me 15 minutes to eat a slice of a pizza with a knife and fork :lol. I'm going to be losing weight fast if this keeps up.

Dude... I remember that pain.  I got braces at 19, and I remember the most painful time was actually prepping for my braces, the had to put these 'spacers' in between a few of my back molars to create some ... space!  I couldn't even eat a dinner roll it hurt so much.

Smoothies dude.  Get ur blender out.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2982 on: March 20, 2021, 10:08:54 AM »
I got the blender out and the juicer. It's not bad when I'm not eating but my teeth are so tender that biting into anything radiates pain. On the bright side I'm 34 and these will come off at 36, I should still have some hair left and my new Tom Cruise teeth so 36-40 will be peak reaper :lol

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2983 on: March 20, 2021, 02:19:09 PM »
I'm so happy I've never had to deal with braces. I'd go insane dealing with that shit.

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2984 on: March 20, 2021, 05:27:42 PM »
Oof I had braces for like 4 years in like 7th through junior year of high school.  Absolutely hated them, always so much pain.  I guess it was worth it in the end, but I don't know how mid 30 year old me would handle it. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2985 on: March 22, 2021, 06:54:33 AM »
I probably should have gotten braces, but I never did.  I've talked with the dentist about getting Invisalign, but I'm probably not going to commit.  I have one tooth that is actually moving forward (it kind of looks now like I'm actually missing a tooth).  I'm self-conscious about it, but apparently not self-conscious enough to actually do something about it.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2986 on: March 22, 2021, 09:42:06 AM »
I wanted to do invisalign but it wasn't going to work, invisalign will only move teeth on a single plain

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2987 on: March 22, 2021, 04:19:05 PM »
I had braces for almost four years in high school.  Wasn't fun but you get used to the pain and discomfort.  I never thought it was as bad as some others but that's me.  The result is worth it in the end.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2988 on: March 23, 2021, 06:42:52 AM »
I wore braces for about a year when I was 11ish. My teeth were dead straight and aligned, but I had a slight overbite. When I was 18ish, long after the braces came off, I had four impacted wisdom teeth that had to be removed. Once they were out, my teeth reset to the exact same position they were in pre-braces.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2989 on: March 25, 2021, 06:47:04 AM »
After about a week it's not so bad, after talking to some friends who had them as kids apparently brace technology has come a long way because mine aren't so bad :lol

That said I would love to eat some potato chips right now.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #2990 on: March 25, 2021, 07:47:27 AM »
I had braces from age 11 to 13. Certainly wasn't pleasant, but wasn't awful. My wisdom teeth removal didn't affect the results, and while my bottom teeth drifted a bit, all signs point to fine.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2991 on: March 25, 2021, 09:30:13 PM »
My 9 year old has braces, which look rather benign and do not bother her much. But she also has a palatal expander that is pushing her upper jaw apart, which looks and sounds miserable.

https://www.discoverbraces.com/palatal-expander
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2992 on: March 26, 2021, 04:48:25 AM »
My 9 year old has braces, which look rather benign and do not bother her much. But she also has a palatal expander that is pushing her upper jaw apart, which looks and sounds miserable.

I almost had to have that.  And yeah, I was told that it is incredibly painful.  Worse than braces themselves.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2993 on: March 26, 2021, 06:56:43 AM »

Yup, had that when I was 6 or 7. Fixed a cross bite. That motherfucker hurt like absolute fucking hell whenever my mother had to turn that fucking key.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2994 on: March 26, 2021, 07:48:21 AM »

Yup, had that when I was 6 or 7. Fixed a cross bite. That motherfucker hurt like absolute fucking hell whenever my mother had to turn that fucking key.

Actually, now that I remember, I did have something like this.  I didn't have the key/crank apparatus, but one like this.

After the pain, the biggest annoyance was in chewing, and food getting stuck between the roof of my mouth, and that back cross-mechanism.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2995 on: March 26, 2021, 08:21:24 AM »
I have a thing about my mouth; I've played hockey and soccer with broken bones (at one time or another I've broken both arms and all my fingers, and one foot), but I cry when the dentist scrapes my teeth.   

So for me, that device is basically a torture device.  I'll take waterboarding/an iron maiden before that. 

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2996 on: March 26, 2021, 08:26:31 AM »
I had a gap in the front of my teeth at least the width of my two front teeth. Had kids asking me how many teeth I'd lost and I'd answer, "None." That's how much it spread my palate.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2997 on: March 26, 2021, 09:20:14 AM »
I have a thing about my mouth; I've played hockey and soccer with broken bones (at one time or another I've broken both arms and all my fingers, and one foot), but I cry when the dentist scrapes my teeth.   

If you want your skin to crawl read this https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/27851359/the-ugly-gory-bloody-secret-life-nhl-dentists

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2998 on: March 26, 2021, 09:35:25 AM »
I'm out of this thread until we get to the next page (I'm actually not really joking). 

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2999 on: March 26, 2021, 10:41:54 AM »
My kid doesn't complain about the spacer hurting and even when I had to crank it, it didn't bother her much. And she will complain about the slightest thing if in the wrong mood. It has made it difficult for her to eat some foods that have the propensity to get trapped up there, like noodles.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3000 on: March 27, 2021, 06:56:25 AM »
Speaking of teeth, I had my two left wisdom teeth pulled yesterday.  I wasn't nervous about the procedure (I opted to get anesthesia since I was told the bottom left might have been a bit difficult to get out; had the right ones pulled when I was like 25 and was awake for those), but moreso about the recovery.  Next morning, it is barely bleeding at all (just little spots of it) and the pain doesn't seem bad even though I have only been awake for a bit and haven't taken any pain meds yet this morning. Feels like the worst would have been the first 24 hours after the procedure, so feeling like I was fortunate. Just have to make sure I do all of the right stuff so I do not get dry sockets.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3001 on: March 27, 2021, 02:46:26 PM »
Speaking of teeth, I had my two left wisdom teeth pulled yesterday.  I wasn't nervous about the procedure (I opted to get anesthesia since I was told the bottom left might have been a bit difficult to get out; had the right ones pulled when I was like 25 and was awake for those), but moreso about the recovery.  Next morning, it is barely bleeding at all (just little spots of it) and the pain doesn't seem bad even though I have only been awake for a bit and haven't taken any pain meds yet this morning. Feels like the worst would have been the first 24 hours after the procedure, so feeling like I was fortunate. Just have to make sure I do all of the right stuff so I do not get dry sockets.

Good stuff Kev. I had mine sawed out from the gums a few years ago, had to take a couple of days off because my face swelled and I looked ridiculous. I woke up to go to work, looked in the mirror and actually laughed at how hamster-like I looked. :lol Also drooled some blood on my pillow and had to take painkillers for a week.

Sounds like yours went way better than mine, happy for you.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3002 on: March 27, 2021, 03:53:28 PM »

Good stuff Kev. I had mine sawed out from the gums a few years ago, had to take a couple of days off because my face swelled and I looked ridiculous. I woke up to go to work, looked in the mirror and actually laughed at how hamster-like I looked. :lol Also drooled some blood on my pillow and had to take painkillers for a week.

Sounds like yours went way better than mine, happy for you.

Thanks!  That sucks that you had to endure that sucky of a recovery.  It really is a crapshoot when it comes to recovering from that procedure.  I worked with a guy once who got his pulled and said he went out drinking that night and was fine.  And then there are stories like yours.  You just never know. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3003 on: March 27, 2021, 07:37:27 PM »
How are you feeling Kev. Much tougher when your older.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3004 on: March 27, 2021, 07:55:03 PM »
I had all 4 of mine out when I was 17 over Christmas vacation of my senior year of HS. They wanted to do it on 12/22 but I said no way, I'm seeing Kiss that night!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3005 on: March 27, 2021, 08:43:33 PM »
Had mine out in 10th grade, took a day or two off school as I was pretty sore and a little swollen. Was right before they aired the Freddy Mercury tribute concert, so that kept me pleasantly occupied while I was laid up. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3006 on: March 27, 2021, 08:55:32 PM »
These stories are my f*****g nightmare.  Ugh.   I was only born with two wisdom teeth, one is "in place" and isn't a problem, and the other is lying sideways against my lower jawbone, and they don't want to touch it.  When anyone asks "why would you believe in a god?!? There's no proof!" I say, "I have x-rays that are proof positive". 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3007 on: March 27, 2021, 10:07:22 PM »
How are you feeling Kev. Much tougher when your older.

Mostly fine.  A little achy at times, but pretty minor.  I figured out quickly earlier not sing along to tunes when I had to take a quick drive somewhere. :lol  Best to let the jaws rest for a few more days.  Trying not to talk a lot either.

Also, I had the two on the right pulled when I was like 25, so all four are gone now. Glad it's over with.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3008 on: March 28, 2021, 06:07:55 AM »
I had mine out at 18... swelled up like a chipmunk gathering nuts for the winter.  Not a pleasant experience.  Was done over March break or Christmas (can't remember), but I did have those pockets/cavities in my gums that took a few weeks to heal over.  Had to carry a plastic syringe with me so I could keep food from settling and developing an infection.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3009 on: March 28, 2021, 09:29:06 AM »
I got all four out at once as a kid in high school, don't remember my age.  In fact, I still have all four molars in a bag saved still  :lol  I remember it not being so bad for me, one day of pain killers and lots of sleep with a bloody pillow and eating soft foods.  Was good 2 days later. Not sure how I'd handle that today thuogh.