Author Topic: DTF Chat Thread v.BrexitMeansBrexit  (Read 291684 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: DTF Chat Thread v.BrexitMeansBrexit
« Reply #2240 on: July 22, 2020, 07:51:01 AM »
I had a 2010 Civic until 2018 when the transmission shat the bed and now have a 2016 Civic which I absolutely love with all the bells and whistles, including Chris' Sirius issue  :lol  It doesn't bother me too much since I just use the blu tooth and hardly change to the radio, but it would be nice if you could hide it or something, but I guess they treat XM just like AM or FM and it's there by default even if you don't pay for it.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2241 on: July 22, 2020, 07:52:26 AM »
I think I would just dread having a car payment.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2242 on: July 22, 2020, 07:58:17 AM »

You've always paid in full for a car?  For the last two Civics (the only two cars, I personally went out an financed myself) I was able to keep it under 300 a month and then I eventually owned the older Civic and it was nice to go from a monthly payment to nothing and keep it that way for like 4 years.  My new Civic I was able to put a lot more money down than the older one from the years of no payments and now its 250 a month, but I was used to paying 300 so I pay 300.  I'll own this car in another year I think.  I had enough cash to outright pay for it but I didn't want to eat into my savings for a low interest loan that I know I can pay off quickly.  Everyone's got their own strategy that works for them.  I just have no desire to lease a car unless I start pulling in significantly more money.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2243 on: July 22, 2020, 07:58:55 AM »
We only have one at a time.  Lisa's car just got finished off then I bought my truck.  Never 2 car payments.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2244 on: July 22, 2020, 08:14:02 AM »

You've always paid in full for a car? 

Well, since his vehicles are 13 and 16 years old, I'm guessing even if he financed them, they're paid off by now!   :lol

3 more months, and my Infiniti QX60 will finally be paid for - that's almost $1k/mo back in my pocket.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2245 on: July 22, 2020, 08:19:59 AM »
I think the most we've paid for a car is like 13k, but we did that once. We'll usually try and find the best deal in the 10k-12k range and pay up front.
We've never had a car payment.

3 more months, and my Infiniti QX60 will finally be paid for - that's almost $1k/mo back in my pocket.

A thousand a month?? :omg:

If you (not you personally Chad) can afford that, then I think it's just play money at that point. Which is good for you. (again, not personal).

I'm sure it's a great ride, but we could never ever justify an expense like that.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2246 on: July 22, 2020, 08:23:15 AM »
I can't fathom the idea of paying 1k a month for a car either, unless like I said about leasing a car, if I just had a significant amount of more money then I'd consider it.  I'm also not a "car guy" so the idea of having a luxury vehicle is not really something I'm interested in.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2247 on: July 22, 2020, 09:03:07 AM »
I wouldn't exactly call it 'play' money.  I manage our budget taking into consideration all expenses and outflows, and this works/worked for us in the grand scheme of things.  I do make a (very) healthy income, so it's not killing us to carry that expense, but it will be very nice to be finally done with it.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2248 on: July 22, 2020, 09:46:27 AM »
I see both sides of this.  I'm a car guy, but having said that I have only twice ever bought a car new for myself (and both times they were deals through the dealer for loaner/specials).

My current car is a 5-series BMW, but I bought it used (it's a 2013) and is in immaculate condition.  I also a) have enough knowledge to run and understand codes, and b) have a stepson who worked at a BMW dealer as a mechanic (between us we've owned something like 8 or 9 BMWs, so there's that) so there's very little that can't be managed.  I have a payment, but it's nominal and more for convenience.   My backup is a '99 Dodge RAM pickup that is in great shape, owned outright, but it's a work truck.    I bought the BMW to allow my daughter to drive my "old" car, which I kept, a 2006 BMW X3 (see above), paid off long ago and worth more to me (and her) than I could ever get on the market or for trade, even though it's in very good condition.   So for three cars, I pay a pittance for the car, I pay insurance (cheap because of the years and my driving characteristics), taxes (nominal) and upkeep.

Having said all that, it made sense to buy a newer model car for my wife, a long-term purchase.  Rather than buy new, we went to Volvo, bought a car in off lease.  It's got 70+k on it, but it's loaded and in great shape.  It's expensive ($600 a month roughly) but I got a steal on the price (because of the miles) and I got the 10-year, unlimited miles certified warranty from the dealer.   I hate the payment, but I'm buying more than just four tires and a motor for that and it's worth it to me.  It's also a car I would drive, so if the fam situation ever changes, fuck it, I'll drive it.  (I drove my old S60 - the car I had before the X3 - for almost 12 years; it was one of the two I mentioned above, a loaner from the dealer, and I bought it with 5,000 for about half of MSRP, and drove it all that time with only minor problems.)  I pay more for the car, insurance and taxes than all the other cars combined, but it's solid, and she uses it to truck my stepson and my grandson.  It's also the "family loaner" for when my stepson or daughter-in-law needs a car, etc.   Worth every penny. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2249 on: July 22, 2020, 10:16:19 AM »
I think if you can afford it, then more power to you.

We've just never placed a high expense value on our cars.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2250 on: July 22, 2020, 10:26:18 AM »
If we don't drive that Volvo through the warranty, I'll be PISSED.  The point was that it wasn't about the cars themselves, but the circumstances.  I can't work on that car (the electronics), so I want to be able to hand it to the dealer and say "deal with it", and maybe get a loaner car when I do.  I would probably never pay $600 for a car just for the car itself.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2251 on: July 22, 2020, 10:27:19 AM »
It's a balance, everyone's got their own situation and priorities.  I'd rather spend 300 a month on a car and 200 a month on concert tickets than get a nicer car for 500 a month.  Also, families change things drastically.  I can't imagine how little spending cash I'd have if I supported a child.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2252 on: July 22, 2020, 10:32:37 AM »
It's a balance, everyone's got their own situation and priorities. 

Absolutely.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2253 on: July 22, 2020, 01:37:57 PM »
It's a balance, everyone's got their own situation and priorities.  I'd rather spend 300 a month on a car and 200 a month on concert tickets than get a nicer car for 500 a month.  Also, families change things drastically.  I can't imagine how little spending cash I'd have if I supported a child.

The QX60 was a bit of a splurge on our part, for sure.  We'd owned our Honda Odyssey outright for years (had it for 14 years since the jingle.kids were babies), and had gone 9 years without a car payment on the 'big' family car, and 5 years without a payment whatsoever since we owned our sedan family car.  So, we bought a little bit out of our weight class (as it related to our needs, not the budget).  I could've gone with a Pathfinder or a more mid-tier SUV, but we splurged.  As I said, it'll just be nice to be done with those payments.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2254 on: July 23, 2020, 02:24:37 PM »
When there's not a pandemic going on, it makes more sense for me to drive a nicer/newer car, even if the payment is higher. With putting 22k+ miles a year on the odometer, I need something that I know is going to last me a few years and not nickel and dime me.

Pro tip: Never buy a Mini Cooper  :lol I bought mine new thinking it'd last me a while... Even with extended service plans and warranties, I was still out a good $3500-$4000 in repairs before the engine seized at 122K. When the engine went, the dealership quoted me $11K to fix it, and I still owed $5k on the car.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2255 on: July 23, 2020, 02:25:43 PM »
Fuuuuuck!  I would be so pissed.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2256 on: July 23, 2020, 02:43:03 PM »
Yea, no offense, those cars are pieces of shit IMO.  My coworker has one and it's nothing but issues.  But also IMO, I HATE the look of them too.  I bet they can be fun to drive on small windy roads where you can hit the gas, but hardly worth it just for that.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2257 on: July 23, 2020, 02:45:27 PM »
When there's not a pandemic going on, it makes more sense for me to drive a nicer/newer car, even if the payment is higher. With putting 22k+ miles a year on the odometer, I need something that I know is going to last me a few years and not nickel and dime me.

Pro tip: Never buy a Mini Cooper  :lol I bought mine new thinking it'd last me a while... Even with extended service plans and warranties, I was still out a good $3500-$4000 in repairs before the engine seized at 122K. When the engine went, the dealership quoted me $11K to fix it, and I still owed $5k on the car.

You drive over a cone or something?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2258 on: July 24, 2020, 07:49:50 AM »
Cone lady prolly exacted her revenge with sugar packets in the gas tank.   "I'll teach those meddling kids!"

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2259 on: July 24, 2020, 08:32:40 AM »
 :lol :lol :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2260 on: July 24, 2020, 04:45:20 PM »
*Sees shopping cart discussion and walks away before thread lock.*

I listened to the Wingers 3rd album “Pull”, and I think it is very good.  Great musicianship and songs, especially from a hair metal band.  Not something I would write on my tombstone, but your avatar made me think of it.

:metal :metal :metal
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2261 on: July 24, 2020, 05:04:37 PM »

This is me too.  The car I have now is a 2014 Mitsibishi Lancer, paid 30K but had the funds saved to buy it outright.  I hate paying for stuff if I don't have to.  I'd rather just wait and have the money first if I can.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2262 on: July 24, 2020, 05:12:12 PM »

You've always paid in full for a car? 

Well, since his vehicles are 13 and 16 years old, I'm guessing even if he financed them, they're paid off by now!   :lol

Just goggled that, looks nice.  1K a month is pricey but more power to you.  As I said, I paid 30K and that I think is the most I'd pay for a car, but being a family man, I guess you could justify something like that.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2263 on: July 24, 2020, 05:17:21 PM »
I paid 30K and that I think is the most I'd pay for a car

I think that's around my limit too.  My car was 24k so I've yet to hit that limit, but I think anything over that is a bit too much for my tastes/uses/budget.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2264 on: July 24, 2020, 05:21:07 PM »
I paid 30K and that I think is the most I'd pay for a car

I think that's around my limit too.  My car was 24k so I've yet to hit that limit, but I think anything over that is a bit too much for my tastes/uses/budget.

I've thought about spending more, but yeah, I can't justify it.  I mean, I was looking to spend 20-22K whatever, but seeing the better model that I could get for 30K, it was a no brainer to spend a little more.  As you said earlier though, everyone has their own priorities and whatnot.

If I had to fork out large repayments however, there's no way I'd spend that much.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2265 on: July 24, 2020, 06:28:53 PM »
I drove my Toyota Corolla from November 07 to March 2020.  Finally bought a truck, a 2020 GMC Canyon.   J have all the toys. I'm loving it.

My new car has a spotify app so you don't need to use car play or android auto and its one of my favorite things. Get in and starts playing right where I left, all my playlisfs are there too.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2266 on: July 24, 2020, 06:30:49 PM »

Sounds like my buddies countryman. He bought it new and it leaked oil on his driveway first night of ownership. Even for a bmw it was horrendously unreliable.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2267 on: July 24, 2020, 09:28:22 PM »

Sounds like my buddies countryman. He bought it new and it leaked oil on his driveway first night of ownership. Even for a bmw it was horrendously unreliable.

We always called my coworkers car the countryman without the o and r  :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2268 on: July 25, 2020, 05:52:16 AM »
I drove my Toyota Corolla from November 07 to March 2020.  Finally bought a truck, a 2020 GMC Canyon.   J have all the toys. I'm loving it.

My new car has a spotify app so you don't need to use car play or android auto and its one of my favorite things. Get in and starts playing right where I left, all my playlisfs are there too.

A car having a Spotify app built in.  Wow!

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2269 on: July 25, 2020, 07:44:40 AM »

We always called my coworkers car the countryman without the o and r  :lol

Lol I've said the same thing to him a few times and I could see the pain in his eyes.

A car having a Spotify app built in.  Wow!

I'm telling you it's fucking awesome it even shows the album artwork in the gaugecluster.

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #2270 on: July 25, 2020, 11:31:48 AM »
RIP Peter "Greenie" Green.

Sad day for blues and guitar.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2271 on: July 27, 2020, 04:40:02 PM »
I had my wisdom tooth out 3 days ago. I would very much like the pain and swelling to sod off now.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2272 on: July 27, 2020, 05:12:43 PM »
I had my wisdom tooth out 3 days ago. I would very much like the pain and swelling to sod off now.

Damn, I think this is one of the things that's worse as an adult than a child?  I got all four out at once in high school and it was painful, but I felt like I was recovered and back to eating normally by day 3.  Definitely glad I did that all in one shot too.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2273 on: July 27, 2020, 05:18:13 PM »
No where really to share this, but in these corona times and no concerts, I've been tweeting lots of older videos or pictures (sometimes things that I never shared before) during anniversaries of concerts.  Today marks the 15 year date from the first time I saw Iron Maiden at Ozzfest 2005. I remember getting in for free because a friend had a hook up with a local TV station so we showed up at 7am and got fliers that had all the band set times on it (with an ad for the TV station of course) and started handing them out to people who were already tailgating in the parking lots.  I wasn't even 21 yet and handing out these fliers to people who were drunk in the lots at 8am  :lol anyway, I looked at the few pictures I took and found these of Will Smith and former wife Jada Pinkett Smith because she sang in a metal band for that tour  :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2274 on: July 27, 2020, 06:59:15 PM »

Damn, I think this is one of the things that's worse as an adult than a child?  I got all four out at once in high school and it was painful, but I felt like I was recovered and back to eating normally by day 3.  Definitely glad I did that all in one shot too.

I had all 4 out when I was 18. I don't remember any pain at all. I had General Anaesthetic. All I remember is being in the chair - getting the injection - then waking up in a chair puking up

what looked like black blood. Slept all the way home ( 90 mins ) then was in bed for several days with hamster cheeks and my pillow smelling like blood and dribble for a while after that.