Author Topic: DTF Chat Thread v.BrexitMeansBrexit  (Read 284808 times)

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: DTF Chat Thread v.BrexitMeansBrexit
« Reply #1820 on: February 17, 2020, 03:15:58 PM »
Good luck with the new gig, but I'm with wolfking, give the stuff back and move on.  I'm not sure why it's "getting harassed" when you have items including a car that are owned by the old company. Sounds like they have some right to harass you for their stuff back.  If you can work a way for them to come and get it, cool, but don't be annoyed when they keep harassing you until their items are returned.

Exactly.  It's their property.  You can't get annoyed for them wanting them back.  I would just say that you are not doing any fills and that you sever all ties.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1821 on: February 17, 2020, 05:21:01 PM »
And don't, under ANY circumstances, drive that fucking car now that you're off the clock.  Don't even move it around the driveway.  Give it back, dude, there's no good that can come from that.  If I'm them, I go over it with a fine tooth comb, and you're being dinged for EVERYTHING wrong with it. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1822 on: February 17, 2020, 06:20:57 PM »
Drove all the way to Worcester to find out they postponed tonight's Opeth concert.
 :censored :censored
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1823 on: February 17, 2020, 06:25:17 PM »
And don't, under ANY circumstances, drive that fucking car now that you're off the clock.  Don't even move it around the driveway.  Give it back, dude, there's no good that can come from that.  If I'm them, I go over it with a fine tooth comb, and you're being dinged for EVERYTHING wrong with it. 

I'm with everyone on this but Stadler hit the nail on the head, you do not under any circumstance, want to have anything to happen to the car or any other company belongings.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1824 on: February 17, 2020, 06:26:02 PM »
Drove all the way to Worcester to find out they postponed tonight's Opeth concert.

Oh man, that blows!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1825 on: February 17, 2020, 07:41:59 PM »

That BLOWS.  Where were they playing?

I'm going to see Geoff Tate in Stafford on Wednesday; I don't know how far that is for you.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1827 on: February 17, 2020, 08:15:41 PM »
Then they either need to come get it, or when I have a day free and when my girlfriend is free , pay me to drive  it out there. That's not going to be for at least a week.

Like I said. 2-3 hour drive one way.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1828 on: February 17, 2020, 08:30:51 PM »
Then they either need to come get it, or when I have a day free and when my girlfriend is free , pay me to drive  it out there. That's not going to be for at least a week.

Like I said. 2-3 hour drive one way.

Dude, where do you seriously think this attitude is going to get you?  I'm a stubborn prick, but damn mate, no offence to you and try not to take this the wrong way but come down from that high horse before he trips over and breaks a leg. 

Exactly.  They will looks for anything and try and fuck you up Jay.  And there will be nothing you can do about it.  If something goes down, you won't win and have no leg to stand on.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1829 on: February 17, 2020, 08:36:42 PM »
Just curious why you didn't turn everything in over the last 2 or so shifts?  2-3 hour drive is irrelevant, it's not your shit.  Are you not concerned that they might have some grounds to report you with possession of stolen goods?

Jay... take a hint.  We're all your pals here, and literally no one is 'on your side' on this matter.  You're in the wrong here.  How did you get the car in the first place?  Did they drop it off at your house?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1830 on: February 17, 2020, 08:44:33 PM »
I'd feel paranoid as all shit and would have made sure on my last shift they had everything so nothing could get traced back to me in any way.  Even if for some reason I was going to do a fill or two, I would have preferred to make sure everything was returned so something like this wouldn't happen.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1831 on: February 17, 2020, 08:57:34 PM »
I found out when I got there 2 hours before the doors opened. The tour buses were there.  Last minute decision obliviously.

Had dinner with Rumborak.   Just disappointed not seeing Opeth.   Never saw them before. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1832 on: February 18, 2020, 06:46:27 AM »
That's a bummer King.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1833 on: February 18, 2020, 07:36:12 AM »
And after reminding my boss twice I was taking today off he forgot.   Him, the quality manager and my bosses boss is at my site.

The one who put the ultimatum to me. Not looking good.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1834 on: February 18, 2020, 07:58:13 AM »
oh wtf

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #1835 on: February 18, 2020, 08:01:25 AM »
That sucks about the concert Joe. I've got tickets for their show in NYC Saturday night.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #1836 on: February 18, 2020, 08:21:45 AM »
Periphery was having issues too, I think they were missing one band member on stage Sunday night and the singer was just getting over laryngitis as well. They had to play their previous show instrumentally with no vocals. I would've preferred an instrumental set in Brooklyn as well  :biggrin: :lol
Photobucket sucks.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1837 on: February 18, 2020, 12:16:32 PM »
The car was used at the account I ran that we lost in October. They told me to hold on to for a few days (as it's full of shit from the account) and sometime I'd go to the office and actually swap them for another vehicle for my position. That never happened. I'm also not driving it. Not touching it. When I have the day off during the week (next week?) I will take it to them. Or they can come get it.

In other news... I'm really enjoying the culture at my new job. I'm just not the biggest fan of the open office plan. So many distractions :lol
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1838 on: February 18, 2020, 12:52:53 PM »
Hint: take a picture of the mileage on your phone so you can date it. 

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1839 on: February 18, 2020, 04:27:26 PM »
Open office desk plan is terrible, one of our sister buildings has an open floor plan as well as our trading floor and it's just noisy and distracting.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1840 on: February 18, 2020, 04:46:30 PM »

Stads... your advice is on point this week.   :tup

Just this week though.   :lol
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1841 on: February 18, 2020, 05:23:56 PM »

It’s only Tuesday. Let’s not get ahead of ourselves.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1842 on: February 18, 2020, 05:47:42 PM »
No need. The car has a live GPS that pings constant whenever it's running. 

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1843 on: February 18, 2020, 05:51:02 PM »
It wasnt running that day.  Well I hope you dont get screwed but taking a pic of the odometer is no effort to help cover your ass. You're an adult so you can handle the situation as you see fit.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1844 on: February 18, 2020, 06:56:41 PM »
Open office desk plan is terrible, one of our sister buildings has an open floor plan as well as our trading floor and it's just noisy and distracting.

Now that I think of it... There is so much communication between the different teams (dealer services, sales, and Customer service...) having cubicles would not be feasible. At least the sales team has half cubes, because they are important :lol

That'll be me in a year or so once I get my insurance license.

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1845 on: February 19, 2020, 10:06:17 AM »
Well, they are still here and I'm alive. I know they are not happy though.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1846 on: February 19, 2020, 10:49:33 AM »

Now that I think of it... There is so much communication between the different teams (dealer services, sales, and Customer service...) having cubicles would not be feasible. At least the sales team has half cubes, because they are important :lol

That'll be me in a year or so once I get my insurance license.

We do most our communication with Skype, or worse, meetings.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1847 on: February 19, 2020, 10:59:54 AM »
All our communication if via slack for basic chats and webex for video conferencing.  People hardly talk face to face anymore as people work remotely (like myself) or when in the open office, just keep quiet and chat via slack than walking up to the person.  Our open office environment is actually really quiet and awkward.  I'm so glad I don't report to the office.  Part of me feels like working remotely I am losing some of my social skills at work... but then again, I don't think anyone is getting those skills anymore even when surrounded by people.  It's quite odd to me.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1848 on: February 20, 2020, 06:52:56 AM »

Just call me the broken clock.  ;) :)

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #1849 on: February 20, 2020, 08:54:21 AM »
The real reason they call him that is that he's always pointing at midnight :eyebrows:
Photobucket sucks.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1850 on: February 20, 2020, 09:18:12 PM »
Owner of old company texted me today telling me don't worry about the car. They will make arrangements to come grab it next week.

And on to my bitching about my new job :lol

Nah... I absolutely love it so far. My only issue is I think the girl training (who isn't a supervisor but pretty much the lead for our dept) is almost too nice and cheery even with her criticism. I don't want Gordan Ramsey level critism but when I make a basic basic mistake, I want to be called out on it.

I know I'm only 4 days in but I should know better lmfao.

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1851 on: February 21, 2020, 06:50:21 AM »
Owner of old company texted me today telling me don't worry about the car. They will make arrangements to come grab it next week.

That's good to hear, Jay.

And on the criticism... really not sure what's wrong with being kind/compassionate to a 4-day old employee.  I mean, unless it's something as basic as flushing the toilet.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #1852 on: February 21, 2020, 07:18:54 AM »
Regarding criticism, and I've received a lot over the years....

I have found, both at the giving and receiving level, it is almost always better to lead with positivity before offering the crit. Obviously not talking about extreme examples, repeat offenses, etc., but employees, and I know it also applies to me, respond much better when they know they aren't complete failures. I worked for a horribly abusive, toxic woman who didn't believe good performance warranted recognition. In her words, "if she doesn't say anything, you've done a good job" but would then give you a fucking laundry list 50 items long of things she hated. It's horribly demoralizing.

As a manager, I always try to find something to be positive and reassuring about before correcting the mistakes. It creates a rapport of respect and confidence, rather than fear and domination.

Just my opinion.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1853 on: February 21, 2020, 08:34:19 AM »
Agree with Hyperplex,

I also try to meet with my direct reports just "to check in", not only when I need to correct them on something. Every so often I just pull them into the conference room to see how things are going, make sure they are doing ok, and possibly give them some compliments on things they've done recently.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1854 on: February 21, 2020, 09:21:57 AM »
I mean... She gives me a good job for sitting the equivalent of putting my name on my "assignment". Lmao.

I think I'm more annoyed with myself than anything else, because the basic basics are what I'm doing and I feel as if it's something that should have been down day one hour one.

Don't get me wrong though. I'm loving it overall.

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"