Author Topic: DTF Chat Thread v.BrexitMeansBrexit  (Read 285026 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: DTF Chat Thread v.BrexitMeansBrexit
« Reply #1575 on: January 12, 2020, 10:09:46 AM »
I've literally never heard of Zelle…

So if you transfer it back, they can drain your account? Is that the scam?

How were they able to transfer it to you in the first place? I'd say it's time to change your account number, and if you must send the money back, I'd use a certified bank check.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1576 on: January 12, 2020, 10:28:41 AM »
Zelle is a 3rd party service a lot of banks have partnered with to allow transfers between bank accounts with other banks. So say... We go out for drinks, and you pick up the tab as I realize I left my wallet at home. I can pay you back via Zelle (if you are signed up), and it will transfer from my bank account with whatever bank I use, to yours. It's an alternate to PayPal, Cash App, Venmo, etc.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1577 on: January 12, 2020, 10:49:27 AM »
Huh...

If I picked the tab, you wouldn't have to pay me back. Just pick up the next one.

I guess it does solve some logistic problems. Damn, I'm old and out of touch.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1578 on: January 12, 2020, 10:54:11 AM »
Yeah it just makes it easier to transfer money to another person. All you need is their phone# or email.

My guess is that whoever transferred the money, put down the wrong email address. But there is no way for me to verify that. I’ll just follow what my bank told me and it is to leave it alone and see what happens.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1579 on: January 12, 2020, 03:50:48 PM »
Huh...

If I picked the tab, you wouldn't have to pay me back. Just pick up the next one.

I guess it does solve some logistic problems. Damn, I'm old and out of touch.

Lol yup, you are out of touch. People hardly carry cash anymore including myself. We use apps to send money to each other when you owe someone these days. Sure picking up the next tab works for meals like that, but when someone puts down for like a hotel or buys tickets for a group, you can use these apps to pay back immediately.

Also, this sounds like a scam.  I wouldn't touch that money for a long time. However that is so annoying and tempting.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1580 on: January 12, 2020, 04:27:56 PM »
I'm 35 and completely out of touch.  Never heard of that service but I'm an Aussie or anything like it for that matter.  I use cash for everything.  I just don't use my card.  I take out what I budget for the week and use it.  It curbs spending knowing I can't just continually tap my card and never see the money go out.  If I have it, I see it disappearing out of my wallet.  I'm tight as fuck too which helps.  I'll be fucked the day places stop accepting cash.

The times are changing quick though, when I bought my Judas Priest cd on the weekend, I handed the young girl a $50 note.  She was stunned and goes, 'cash, that's unusual.'  I think she almost didn't know what the fuck to do with it.

I work in customer service and the amount of people using their phone to pay for shit via an eftpos machine blows my mind.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1581 on: January 12, 2020, 04:31:25 PM »
Wolf, it's actually sport to hand someone cash and watch them figure out the change.  I EASILY get the wrong change more than half the time.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1582 on: January 12, 2020, 04:43:10 PM »
Wolf, it's actually sport to hand someone cash and watch them figure out the change.  I EASILY get the wrong change more than half the time.

Oh yeah tell me about it.  Sometimes, by the time they put my money in the till and get the change out it's almost fucking closing time.   :lol

I remember about a year ago I was going through a Starbucks and I got two drinks that equated to $11.30 I think it was.  I always have loads of change in the car so handed the girl a ten dollar note, one fifity cent piece, and four twenty cent pieces.

She took it, looked at it for a bit and with it still in her hand she puts her hand out the window and says, 'sorry, you've only got $10.40 here.'  I looked confused, and 'said, er...no, it's the exact change, count it again.'  She counts it again, says again 'no it's only $10.40.'  I got pretty mad and had to count the money out to her coin by coin.  She still looked confused but took it.  Couldn't believe it.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1583 on: January 12, 2020, 05:00:35 PM »
I'd just pick up the bill next time.

Though, I've used these services to get money to people here on this forum for concert tickets so we can all set together. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1584 on: January 12, 2020, 05:45:08 PM »

Though, I've used these services to get money to people here on this forum for concert tickets so we can all set together.

That's a good idea.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1585 on: January 12, 2020, 05:52:21 PM »
My wife would not trust that service. She gets pissed at me when I have to use Paypal for something. There's no way she'd hook up one of our accounts to something like that.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1586 on: January 12, 2020, 06:15:50 PM »
My wife would not trust that service. She gets pissed at me when I have to use Paypal for something. There's no way she'd hook up one of our accounts to something like that.

I probably wouldn't either haha.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1587 on: January 12, 2020, 08:53:22 PM »
In Canada, the major financial institutions (we only have a couple dozen major banks/credit unions.... not 10,000 like the US) all use Interac eTransfer. You can basically email money back and forth to people.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1588 on: January 12, 2020, 11:08:59 PM »
Meanwhile I had to pay a foreign transaction fee on PayPal to pay you back in Canadian funny money  :lol it was worth the fee

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1589 on: January 13, 2020, 12:10:52 PM »
I met a few 17 year olds and the father at the Epica concert last night while walking to the venue (it was clear we were all going to the same spot in our black metal tshirts so we started talking) and they go to the same high school as John Myung's son.  They said he actually talks, a lot  :lol I found that really funny

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #1590 on: January 13, 2020, 12:53:24 PM »
Venmo is far and away the most popular app in my social circle. I mainly used PayPal until I took a trip with my friends to Denver a few years ago because we used Splitwise for that trip (which is a super hany app) and Venmo can integrate in with Splitwise for settling up trip costs. Zelle seems like it's only useful for transferring money with someone you know/trust, since there's no fraud protection/ability to undo a transfer. I've bailed on a few attempts to buy concert tickets off Craigslist when the seller insisted on Zelle.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1591 on: January 13, 2020, 01:40:59 PM »
Not so much me - more a function of my friends than the technology itself - but I know a lot of people that seem to live and die with Venmo, it seems.   

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1592 on: January 13, 2020, 02:35:25 PM »
Yea Venmo is huge now, and I didn't realize zelle had no protection.  I've only used it with my parents since that's all my Dad knows.  In terms of online purchases, I would only use paypal for their protections.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1593 on: January 14, 2020, 08:20:00 AM »
My GF and I have decent amount of income that goes through PayPal (85% of her income and my side money I make when I house / dog sit). Venmo is OWNED by PayPal, yet you cannot link Venmo to PayPal. It's super frustrating to the point where I try to stay away from Venmo unless I have no choice.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1594 on: January 14, 2020, 12:27:01 PM »
My GF and I have decent amount of income that goes through PayPal (85% of her income and my side money I make when I house / dog sit).

She gets paid through Paypal? I don't understand.

So if you walk a dog, instead of someone writing you a check, they Paypal you the money? Is that linked to a (your) bank account?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1595 on: January 14, 2020, 12:28:04 PM »
Yes t is Tim.

If you want it to.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1596 on: January 14, 2020, 12:35:47 PM »
I was at an antique store yesterday, and I saw this:

Apparently, back in the day, you could give someone PAPER in exchange for things!   How funny!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1597 on: January 14, 2020, 12:36:59 PM »
I haven't seen one of those since I got married.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1598 on: January 14, 2020, 12:40:16 PM »
I only see those at strip clubs

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1599 on: January 14, 2020, 12:52:04 PM »
Haven't seen one of those either since I've been married. :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1600 on: January 14, 2020, 02:44:04 PM »
Tim's no husband. He's a gimp.  His wife chains him downstairs when he comes home from work.

It's the only plausible answer. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1601 on: January 14, 2020, 02:58:50 PM »
It’s certainly made it hard to keep up with pop culture references.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1602 on: January 14, 2020, 03:26:29 PM »
It’s certainly made it hard to keep up with pop culture references.

You can blame marriage for a lot of things.  Not being cultured isn't one of them.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1603 on: January 14, 2020, 03:30:54 PM »
Blindfolded and a red ball gag.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1604 on: January 14, 2020, 03:32:59 PM »
I like Bill's post, it's so true.

I don't know, I'm pretty old school for my age, but I mentioned this before but I truly believe the slow extinction of cash is what's causing certain downfall of the economy and causing people to become broke and lose focus on their priorities and budget. 

People paying with their phones and other means lose track on what they are spending.  I'm in customer service, and people paywaving their cards without even knowing what I'm punching into the eftpos machine is scary.  No one ever wants a receipt either to keep track.  I know they can online, but people spend money and forget they have even spent it.

I think having cash gives you more of a visual representation of what you have and allows proper and more sensibile budgeting and spending.  The population and incoming generations getting stupider and not being able to count doesn't help this situation.  That's probably more the issue.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1605 on: January 14, 2020, 03:49:51 PM »
That's a great point Kade.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1606 on: January 14, 2020, 03:52:06 PM »
I dont agree really, people lost focus of their cash with credit cards long time ago. 

It's todays lifestyle of making yourself look better on social media that is causing people to spend money they dont have. 

My x's sister shared some article about how the younger people all go on vacations and yet all have insane amount of debt.  Including her which she admitted in sharing that (I immediately unfriended her, for one my x used to always bitch about her spending habits but also, if you are proud to admit your shitty spending habits, go fuck yourself).  There's a big trend of people going broke trying to look good on social media, it's sad.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1607 on: January 14, 2020, 04:56:18 PM »
I dont agree really, people lost focus of their cash with credit cards long time ago. 

It's todays lifestyle of making yourself look better on social media that is causing people to spend money they dont have. 

My x's sister shared some article about how the younger people all go on vacations and yet all have insane amount of debt.  Including her which she admitted in sharing that (I immediately unfriended her, for one my x used to always bitch about her spending habits but also, if you are proud to admit your shitty spending habits, go fuck yourself).  There's a big trend of people going broke trying to look good on social media, it's sad.

Hmm....yeah, I think that could be a minor factor really, especially the younger generations, and the blow up of social media probably is the major part of that.  I'm not on social media so I wouldn't know.

I do agree that people lost track of their money with credit cards, but the many more avenues now people can send money, pay with and basically give their money away, it's just getting worse and I think it's easier to lose track of your budgets and money, especially when people use more than one of these avenues.

At least credit cards were just that, people buying things on credit, I just feel now they can use their own money with ease of their phone and not even see it go out of their wallet like you would cash.  If you gave people the money they spend somedays without even thinking in the equivelant of actual money, they would be shocked at how much they spend when it's laid out in physical form.

That's a great point Kade.

Cheers mate.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1608 on: January 14, 2020, 05:20:38 PM »
I'm not sure you understand. Apps like venmo and paypal are tied to your bank account. It's no different at the end of the day as paying cash so you cant go in debt, you either have the money or you dont. Now some apps are like swiping a credit card but it's usually tied to a real credit card so it's no different than using a credit card. There's really no difference between the way you pay today vs a credit card.

Now having frivolous expenses and monthly occurring Bill's like cell phones and netflix and spotify, those are costs no one had back when I was a kid and almost seemed necessary by today's youth.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1609 on: January 14, 2020, 06:07:22 PM »
I'm not sure you understand. Apps like venmo and paypal are tied to your bank account. It's no different at the end of the day as paying cash so you cant go in debt, you either have the money or you dont. Now some apps are like swiping a credit card but it's usually tied to a real credit card so it's no different than using a credit card. There's really no difference between the way you pay today vs a credit card.

I totally understand. Whether someone thinks it was easier back then or easier now, or whatever, it all comes down to control.

Now having frivolous expenses and monthly occurring Bill's like cell phones and netflix and spotify, those are costs no one had back when I was a kid and almost seemed necessary by today's youth.

Again, it's priorities. There has always been a phone bill. Heck, to call two towns over when I was a teenager incurred long distance rates.

I do think what Kade is trying to say is that there's a tangible-ness to having cash. When I was a kid, I'd go into a record store with $25 and I had to make a choice. Today's youth is certainly capable of going through the same thought process with a debit card.
Things are easier now. And I think making things easier can sometimes be a disadvantage for someone impulsive.

My wife buys me Amazon cards for all holidays/birthdays, etc.. Sometimes, if I hear a song, or get a recommendation I click a button and I have the goods. Many times, I'll regret the purchase. But that's my problem.

And I would never say in my fogey voice that kids these days don't understand the concept of money. But when I look at college debt, and again, this isn't a statement on today's youth....you can either afford Boston College or you can't. Sure you can finance your education, but you're just screwing yourself.